Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ayton looks like the number one pick on offense and a second round pick on defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's also a decent description of our business environment. Huge firms that don't even make a show of competing with one another, only squabbling over brand new territories and regulatory manipulations and subsidies. All the stuff people who love to say "take econ101 jackass" is wrong in most cases, from price curves to competition, government debt in currency sovereigns and so on. To top that, Adam Smith was against rentiers and monopolists and was for a lot of things people would consider very leftist today. We are swimming in a sea of chicago school reactionary economic propaganda that exists to benefit a few assholes.

The NBA itself was a sort of company softball competition among friendly bosses that was shaken up when some new money guys came in and spent more money on ancillary things, and paid people to figure out loopholes.
The NFL was the same, and that mentality is why Al Davis was so deeply hated, and you'd have things like ESPN reporters making fun of his skin disease, because the other owners were so disgusted by the way he tried to compete and win.

The lakers were great for decades because they treated players well, and had real scouts.They took a long time to catch up to the new NBA and decided to reverse course in hiring Magic Johnson, but that's for rick to post.

Bill Simmons essentially became the top NBA writer by critiquing lovely boys club trades/contracts and making top gun references.

Although he was also around when revenues were starting to become less tied to gate revenue, which was the driver behind a lot of deadly stupid local college boy contracts/trades/coach signings.

drat I missed SAS

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This video is for every fan wishing their team would tank

https://streamable.com/7w48t

Jesus

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's also a decent description of our business environment. Huge firms that don't even make a show of competing with one another, only squabbling over brand new territories and regulatory manipulations and subsidies. All the stuff people who love to say "take econ101 jackass" is wrong in most cases, from price curves to competition, government debt in currency sovereigns and so on. To top that, Adam Smith was against rentiers and monopolists and was for a lot of things people would consider very leftist today. We are swimming in a sea of chicago school reactionary economic propaganda that exists to benefit a few assholes.

The NBA itself was a sort of company softball competition among friendly bosses that was shaken up when some new money guys came in and spent more money on ancillary things, and paid people to figure out loopholes.
The NFL was the same, and that mentality is why Al Davis was so deeply hated, and you'd have things like ESPN reporters making fun of his skin disease, because the other owners were so disgusted by the way he tried to compete and win.

The lakers were great for decades because they treated players well, and had real scouts.They took a long time to catch up to the new NBA and decided to reverse course in hiring Magic Johnson, but that's for rick to post.

Bill Simmons essentially became the top NBA writer by critiquing lovely boys club trades/contracts and making top gun references.

Although he was also around when revenues were starting to become less tied to gate revenue, which was the driver behind a lot of deadly stupid local college boy contracts/trades/coach signings.

Thank you

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Wow i just came to post this, absolutely disgusting. Coach has already been fired, what more can you do?
This makes me sad because my Orlando Magic are actually trying to win and look this bad sometimes.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

He's a magical man.

https://twitter.com/tallmaurice/status/937348166235623424

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

EvanTH posted:

maybe you don't see that popular sentiment because, at least here in the USA, once people start to organize against wealth they are systematically dismantled and crushed

vilified and mischaracterized in all the press, even some supposed sympathizers still saying sure they may be morally correct but these folks they're on the wrong side of the law here, they need to cool it, conditions remain oppressive until one or two members are caught in an act of violence then they crack down on the entire organization with the full strength of the state's monopoly of force, comfortable that the public will always side against unprovoked violence

every once in a while the moral argument is too strong, and you won't get most everyone to agree that yes of course what he did was crazy, that man John Brown is a lunatic, not a hero where the rest of us are cowards, and then things get interesting. None of our recent mass-shootings have come anywhere near that threshold (actually if Chris Dorner had done his thing in the last year or two that mighta been a major issue, can you imagine?)

shudder to think what dr naismith would make of all this

One time on reddit I said I would enjoy the NBA more if the players owned the team, and I got down-voted into the negatives and like a dozen people told me it wouldn’t work because the players would pay themselves a billion dollars and they just didn’t have the business skills to run a team as successfully as someone like James Dolan can.

That doesn’t really have anything to do with what you’re saying but it sure is nice to have a place to discuss basketball that isn’t full of idiots.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I didn't see this posted but Dave Joerger benched the entire starting unit 3 minutes into the game because they were playing like poo poo

https://twitter.com/TonyXypteras/status/937137367684612102

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Portland has the 2nd best defense. How is this happening. They have somehow managed to combine hard close outs with good defensive rebounding and good paint defense.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 3, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

Portland has the 2nd best defense. How is this happening. They have somehow managed to combine hard close outs with good defensive rebounding and good paint defense.

I’ve only watched them once this year, are the guys around them just playing out of this world or did Lillard and CJ elevate to mediocre?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I've been watching more Donovan Mitchell, and teams still aren't covering him on the line like he's a high volume 3p-maker. Once he gets the ball on the move and heads toward the lane, teams react, but they're giving him lots of breathing room on the line.

dokmo posted:

There are a lot of possessions where Nurkic is left to rebound 1 v 4 so that Portland might be in good position for aggressive closeouts. When teams beat them it's on stuff where they trick those hard closeouts and just pop up a short midrange shot or something like that. Aminu wasn't even healthy until the last game. Maybe it's all because of Noah Vonleh

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember that the Blazers defense was top 5 after the Nurkic trade when he was healthy, so I'm not too surprised I guess?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spoeank posted:

I didn't see this posted but Dave Joerger benched the entire starting unit 3 minutes into the game because they were playing like poo poo

https://twitter.com/TonyXypteras/status/937137367684612102

People keep bitching about how he's always messing around with who starts and seem to ignore the fact that every starting lineup he tries always seems to be down 20 at the end of the first

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

People keep bitching about how he's always messing around with who starts and seem to ignore the fact that every starting lineup he tries always seems to be down 20 at the end of the first

Can you give us a mini update on what's going on with this team? Is Cauley Stein ever going to be good? Does George Hill have clinical depression?

How good is Bogdan (Aka the non traitor Bogdanovic)

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 3, 2017

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ed Davis has been having a good year defensively and is maybe Portland's best player off the bench. Noah Vonleh and Aminu are basically having career years. Moe Harkless is having an OK year defensively Evan Turner is doing less ball handling and has been able to focus on defense, the one thing he has the potential to not be a net negative at. Meyers Leonard has been relegated to the end of the bench and he stinks at defense with Pat Connaughton -- who isn't a big dumb lumbering oaf -- eating up a lot of those minutes. Shabazz Napier has somehow morphed into an extremely competent player.

So yeah, basically every single one of Portland's good defenders is having a career or near-career year and its worst defensive role players have either been relegated or shipped off and replaced with people who are seemingly OK at defense.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

George Hill looks busted or at least banged up and not comfortable being the primary play maker

WCS looked good after being moved to the second unit. Still inconsistent at times, which is a bit worrying given his timeline and history. But that bug effects the entire team. He has great chemistry with Bogdan and probably why he perked up in the second unit. Pretty decent and willing passer. Rebounding is still suboptimal and not something he'll ever excel at

Bogdan is good. He's smart offensively. Not a PG but comfortable making plays for others and fantastic at WCS lobs. He's way more dynamic on offense than Hield and probably has supplanted him for good in the rotation. Smarter on defense too. His 3pt shooting actually has been poor compared to what he did overseas, so when he adjusts he'll be an even bigger threat.

Hield has been struggling. Kind of revived himself when moving to the bench and coming out as a pure gunner.

Mason looks good. Doing exactly what you'd expect a short 4 year college PG from a good program to do. Joerger likes him too so he's going to be a rotation fixture for the foreseeable future

Fox is looks raw and rough but with good flashes here and there. His jumper isn't great but his mid-range shot looks better than I thought. He just needs to be smarter about when to take them and not settle. Don't really see much evidence of advance floor general skills at least in the half court yet

Skal is struggling. He's completely exposed when defending the perimeter and having problems playing in a more rigid system as opposed to the free wheeling we were doing last year. Offensively is not taking good or smart shots, sometimes trying weird power moves for some reason instead of utilizing his length

Justin Jackson is poo poo and seeing Mitchell, Kuzma, and Og all exceeding expectations while our NBA ready high floor college winner looks overwhelmed pisses me off.

Biggest issue with the team is inconsistency. Every player, young to old, seems to poo poo the bed every second or third game.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 3, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

dokmo posted:

Small sample size

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Small sample size

They were up there post nurkic trade last year too

WhyteRyce posted:

George Hill looks busted or at least banged up and not comfortable being the primary play maker

WCS looked good after being moved to the second unit. Still inconsistent at times, which is a bit worrying given his timeline and history. But that bug effects the entire team. He has great chemistry with Bogdan and probably why he perked up in the second unit. Pretty decent and willing passer. Rebounding is still suboptimal and not something he'll ever excel at

Bogdan is good. He's smart offensively. Not a PG but comfortable making plays for others and fantastic at WCS lobs. He's way more dynamic on offense than Hield and probably has supplanted him for good in the rotation. Smarter on defense too. His 3pt shooting actually has been poor compared to what he did overseas, so when he adjusts he'll be an even bigger threat.

Hield has been struggling. Kind of revived himself when moving to the bench and coming out as a pure gunner.

Mason looks good. Doing exactly what you'd expect a short 4 year college PG from a good program to do. Joerger likes him too so he's going to be a rotation fixture for the foreseeable future

Fox is looks raw and rough but with good flashes here and there. His jumper isn't great but his mid-range shot looks better than I thought. He just needs to be smarter about when to take them and not settle

Skal is struggling. He's completely exposed when defending the perimeter and having problems playing in a more rigid system as opposed to the free wheeling we were doing last year. Offensively is not taking good or smart shots, sometimes trying weird power moves for some reason instead of utilizing his length

Justin Jackson is poo poo and seeing Mitchell, Kuzma, and Og all exceeding expectations while our NBA ready high floor college winner looks overwhelmed pisses me off.

Biggest issue with the team is inconsistency. Every player, young to old, seems to poo poo the bed every second or third game.

I appreciate that. I've seen Zach Randolph, now a center, alternating between 56% shooting 22 pt games and 35% shooting 10 point games.

Justin Jackson looked like such an obvious bust, but if Shabazz Napier can become an okay role player 4 years in, maybe we just have to sit back and wait.

leftist heap posted:

Ed Davis has been having a good year defensively and is maybe Portland's best player off the bench. Noah Vonleh and Aminu are basically having career years. Moe Harkless is having an OK year defensively Evan Turner is doing less ball handling and has been able to focus on defense, the one thing he has the potential to not be a net negative at. Meyers Leonard has been relegated to the end of the bench and he stinks at defense with Pat Connaughton -- who isn't a big dumb lumbering oaf -- eating up a lot of those minutes. Shabazz Napier has somehow morphed into an extremely competent player.

So yeah, basically every single one of Portland's good defenders is having a career or near-career year and its worst defensive role players have either been relegated or shipped off and replaced with people who are seemingly OK at defense.

It's shocking that even Combine fraudster Pat Connaughton is really doing it up for Portland. I've been watching their local stream for the last week and it's really nice how they actually talk about basketball plays and not generic cliches.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Justin Jackson has a theoretical skill set that would make him a decent role player. But rebuilding teams shouldn't be using lottery picks to draft a future potential 8th man in the rotation when there are actual good prospects on the board

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Justin Jackson has a theoretical skill set that would make him a decent role player. But rebuilding teams shouldn't be using lottery picks to draft a future potential 8th man in the rotation when there are actual good prospects on the board

They had somewhat pinned themselves in a corner by having two extremely developmental bigs and still longing to be decent in their new arena. If you look at all the promising players that could have been selected instead of jackson, they're nearly all centers and power forwards. I'm guessing they didn't want to pick another big prospect and get ridiculed. The exceptions are Og Anuboby who we knew beforehand that 75% of teams from pick 10 on should have picked unless he has some degenerative cartilage thing we don't know about, Sindarius Thornwell who was born to be a second round pick, and maybe Josh Hart.

But so many of the guys they didn't take are showing promise, Bam Adebadayo looks like he could be an NBA player even if his ceiling is solid starter, Kyle Kuzma even though he's an offense only big which is terrifying, Jarret Allen who's a huge strong giant, excretere.

The jack of all trades wing usually takes time to develop. Josh Hart could become a solid player, Wesley Iwundu might (no he won't), and if Josh Jackson can improve every part of his craft and conditioning he might be something. But Sacramento doesn't seem like an organization you would trust to develop young players and put them in a position to succeed.

Jackson didn't look especially good in college, even as a senior

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

They had somewhat pinned themselves in a corner by having two extremely developmental bigs and still longing to be decent in their new arena. If you look at all the promising players that could have been selected instead of jackson, they're nearly all centers and power forwards. I'm guessing they didn't want to pick another big prospect and get ridiculed.

You know they drafted Harry Gilles at 20, right?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

You know they drafted Harry Gilles at 20, right?

That was with the knowledge that he wasn't going to play for at least 50% of the season, a draft and half season stash. Plus he was the preseason number 1, and nobody ever criticizes you for gambling late on that kind of guy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/mattwhitlockPM/status/937399189402800129

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jesus

Ham Stinkie
Oct 21, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

One thing that is shocking about this is that they are actually leading the East Conference leader on their home floor. You'd think that might inspire some effort on D.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Small sample size

There is definitely some of this. The eye test certainly doesn't hold up for them being the 2nd best defense in the league or anything like that, but their improvement over last season is huge and noticeable and definitely not just sample size.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

GOOD LORD

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

My favorite part of this is Booker's angry aw-shucks at the end after putting in almost no effort into the entire possession.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

leftist heap posted:

There is definitely some of this. The eye test certainly doesn't hold up for them being the 2nd best defense in the league or anything like that, but their improvement over last season is huge and noticeable and definitely not just sample size.

A huge part of Portland's improvement on defense is because of the back court. Lillard and McCollum aren't constantly getting picked on in P&R. They are by no means good but they aren't near the bottom of the league anymore which helps a lot.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

RIP to both those young fellas.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dejan Bimble posted:

They had somewhat pinned themselves in a corner by having two extremely developmental bigs and still longing to be decent in their new arena. If you look at all the promising players that could have been selected instead of jackson, they're nearly all centers and power forwards. I'm guessing they didn't want to pick another big prospect and get ridiculed. The exceptions are Og Anuboby who we knew beforehand that 75% of teams from pick 10 on should have picked unless he has some degenerative cartilage thing we don't know about, Sindarius Thornwell who was born to be a second round pick, and maybe Josh Hart.

But so many of the guys they didn't take are showing promise, Bam Adebadayo looks like he could be an NBA player even if his ceiling is solid starter, Kyle Kuzma even though he's an offense only big which is terrifying, Jarret Allen who's a huge strong giant, excretere.

The jack of all trades wing usually takes time to develop. Josh Hart could become a solid player, Wesley Iwundu might (no he won't), and if Josh Jackson can improve every part of his craft and conditioning he might be something. But Sacramento doesn't seem like an organization you would trust to develop young players and put them in a position to succeed.

Jackson didn't look especially good in college, even as a senior

I thought OG did have some weird knee thing, which is why he dropped?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
OG was talked about being out until at least January, him playing major minutes now is a huge surprise

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
If there is a redraft does OG get picked top 10? I think so but I'm a massive homer.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spoeank posted:

RIP to both those young fellas.

The smaller dude will never recover. He’ll be 40 and see a basketball in the store and just start crying, shaking. Awful stuff

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

The smaller dude will never recover. He’ll be 40 and see a basketball in the store and just start crying, shaking. Awful stuff

you never want to be the defender when the video goes slow motion, and to be it twice in the span of a couple seconds.

His life was over before it ever began

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I cant believe how NBA ready OG is. Like I knew he had potential but I didn't think he'd be able to play meaningful minutes after one month. He has lots of areas to improve but his defensive and offensive positioning/instincts are already solid.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

That was with the knowledge that he wasn't going to play for at least 50% of the season, a draft and half season stash. Plus he was the preseason number 1, and nobody ever criticizes you for gambling late on that kind of guy.

I don't mind taking a gamble on Gilles but the same justification for him could have been used for Og. I hate the argument that Justin Jackson was a hedge against the Gilles gamble because the two things are not related at all and have no dependency on each other. Maybe Vlade felt that he needed someone now at SF but the irony here is that Jackson is trolling around the G-League while Og is playing NBA minutes

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If there is a redraft does OG get picked top 10? I think so but I'm a massive homer.

If his knee is considered to be healthy and the outside shooting isn't some outlier, then yes. He's got an amazing NBA body (those legs my god :captainpop: )and seems to be smart and super coachable.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

At the start of the year Vlade gave his assessment of each player to the Sac Bee. A lot of the assessments were going over strengths and weakness and things he likes. When he got to Justin Jackson he just kept talking about how he doesn't try to do too many things. What praise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It’s fun to give takes on rookies and speculate based on the first quarter of their first season but in reality we know basically nothing more about these guys than we did before the draft. All the young dudes who look like busts may be Gary Harris types with awful first years, the wave of productive rookies (almost all of whom are gonna hit the wall soonish) might be Tyreke Evans, having their best season right now.

• Locked thread