Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never understood the issue with times war table missions. There’s going to be (presumably) plenty of hours you’re not playing the game and those missions are waiting for you when you come back.

it wasn't a huge deal but some of them stretched out over real-life months and i was like "what the gently caress was going on here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There was nothing left to chance for the war table missions, it was all entirely deterministic who would succeed if you read the descriptions carefully and assigned the right lieutenant. Also no microtransactions either.

That particular line of missions ends in whats essentially a coin flip, as both options given are pretty risky and theres no way to know which one would be successful unless you looked it up. Especially since you never exactly have much of a description to go on in those missions.

I'd bet theres some analytics that show that people who log in every day and keep playing for months are more likely to play multiplayer and buy microtransactions. It's either that or purely to lengthen game time to beef up their stats and get people to use Origin more.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

it wasn't a huge deal but some of them stretched out over real-life months and i was like "what the gently caress was going on here?"

Really? I remember the longest ones being 48 hours

E: it did annoy me that they didn't make it clear that the timer progresses even when the game is off. I left my game on all night a couple times before realizing that

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The multiplayer was fun but ehh, can't imagine there's much point in playing it now.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Assuming I'm using some of my quarantine time to replay a ton of old BioWare RPGs and have decided to hold off on ME since there's rumors of the HD Remaster coming later this year, so it's time for DA:O.

I've got a few lists from the various corners of the internet recommending various mods, are there any must-have thread recommendations or should I buckle down and play the original version the way god intended?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

VostokProgram posted:

Really? I remember the longest ones being 48 hours

E: it did annoy me that they didn't make it clear that the timer progresses even when the game is off. I left my game on all night a couple times before realizing that

I mean certain quest lines could take like a month to complete if you were playing at a moderate pace. “Truth or Dare” was one

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just got to Skyhold and goddamn I forgot how big this game is.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Found a herd of cats running around the Denerim marketplace :)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Dick Trauma posted:

I just got to Skyhold and goddamn I forgot how big this game is.

I've always wondered how you're supposed to enter Skyhold in the first place.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
There's a road on the other side of the rock, not visible in this cutscene. Also when you're on the wall you can see your army camping down there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Got my specialization, and I will spend the rest of the game making things dead and on fire, not necessarily in that order.

But oh lord there's a lot of game left. Glad I'm pacing myself this time.

EDIT: I went back to the Hinterlands to try to finish it off. Had Tyrdda's staff and my new fire/necro build and holy poo poo this is a noisy spec and everything is on fire and panicking and I'm surrounded by fire mines. :supaburn:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 14, 2020

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Lord Lambeth posted:

The multiplayer was fun but ehh, can't imagine there's much point in playing it now.

I really liked the narrative conceit of the MP, that you were like a team of Inquisition agents accomplishing stuff like you might dispatch from the war table in the game itself. The actual gameplay wasn't anything ground breaking, but it was a nice little touch of flavor.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I thought Skyhold was super interesting. Whoever built it made some unique tradeoffs. Out of the many different purposes a castle or fortress can serve, I think the only one Skyhold can do is to be a redoubt or hiding place for an army's last stand. There's only one way in or out so it would be easy to lay siege to it, but almost impossible to assault.

Its remoteness prevents it from being able to dominate and pacify any useful farmland, so I doubt that it was made by a feudal lord. It doesn't sit astride a road or pass through the mountains so it's not a useful border fort for fereldan or orleas.

On a tactical level it's an incredible fortress, but it's hard to think of what strategic need led to it's creation. Unless either fereldan or orleas literally were planning for the worst case "our entire country has been overrun and we need to go hide in the mountains now" scenario.

E: I say easy to besiege but what I mean by that is it's easy to block the route and thus prevent flow of supplies. Since the fortress is so high up, at an altitude that appears to be snowy year-round, if you tried a close siege you would probably have a lot of casualties to the cold. But maybe you can park an army a few miles down the road and still maintain an effective blockade.

Incidentally, this altitude means that everyone at Skyhold should be wearing warmer clothing. The Inquisitor pajamas you get will not cut it!

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 15, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It could be very ancient. Solas found it because he walked in the Fade talking to all kinds of ancient spirits to get his Fereldens History 101 done. It might have been ancient Tevinter fortress. Some magister could have applied enough blood magic on fortress so it stands for centuries.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Morrigan tells you it’s a place the ancient elves revered and held rituals, ‘the place where the sky was held back’ I think she says from memory. It’s likely somehow connected to Solas originally which is why he knew it existed and where it was.
The wiki has its history constructed from codex entries, the keep was built by Fereldan and it’s on a pass between Fereldan and Orlais.

https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Skyhold

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Finished Origins, next up Awakening, Golems & Witch Hunt.

Kinda like how everything turned out this time from a narrative standpoint

• Played a female elven mage (AW/BM). Mostly as a caster, melee was just a backup whenever I was out of mana.
  • Was forced by Irving to betray Jowan.
  • Saved the mages in the Circle Tower of course
  • Saved the villagers and Connor in Redcliffe
  • Brokered a peace between the werewolves and elves
  • Chose Harrowmont over Bhelen in Orzammar, simply because Harrowmont gave a better first impression and I hate that kind of epilogue-driven metagaming.
  • Romanced Alistair along the way but broke up with him during Landsmeet to broker a marriage between him and Anora. Seemed like the best way to guarantee peace, so my Neria took one for the team :(
  • Let Loghain join the wardens, since Riordan's suggestion seemed sensible. Almost thought I hosed up hardening Alistair since he reacted so strongly, but eventually he relented.
  • Refused the Dark Ritual
  • Let Loghain take the final blow :sadwave:

Smol fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 15, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
It's a pity Jowan was cut as a party member, I really liked him. :(

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I thought the accepted history of Skyhold was that:
Solas created the Veil there

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Vichan posted:

It's a pity Jowan was cut as a party member, I really liked him. :(

does he even get an epilogue slide?

oh man i looked it up and theres apparently a broken quest for him after you let him go

Jowan was freed from the basement and told to "Run. I never want to see you again," then a new quest called Jowan's Intention will appear in the Chanter's Board section of the journal on the conclusion of the Urn of Sacred Ashes. Jowan can be encountered protecting a group of refugees and the Warden can elect either to kill him or let him go on to a new life under the alias "Levyn". This quest can currently only be completed by PC players due to requiring the console to fix the broken quest line.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

double post

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

I thought the accepted history of Skyhold was that:
Solas created the Veil there

Yeah it being the place where the sky was held back seems to imply that. I think it's very likely it was Solas' original base of operations and is where he did the ritual to make the fade.

I hate how shrouded in mystery the whole DA4 getting made or not made or being good or poo poo thing is because I enjoy where the story is going with these games and I'm afraid they will gently caress it all up :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VostokProgram posted:

I thought Skyhold was super interesting. Whoever built it made some unique tradeoffs. Out of the many different purposes a castle or fortress can serve, I think the only one Skyhold can do is to be a redoubt or hiding place for an army's last stand. There's only one way in or out so it would be easy to lay siege to it, but almost impossible to assault.

Its remoteness prevents it from being able to dominate and pacify any useful farmland, so I doubt that it was made by a feudal lord. It doesn't sit astride a road or pass through the mountains so it's not a useful border fort for fereldan or orleas.

On a tactical level it's an incredible fortress, but it's hard to think of what strategic need led to it's creation. Unless either fereldan or orleas literally were planning for the worst case "our entire country has been overrun and we need to go hide in the mountains now" scenario.

Those are good questions, but I think we have enough information to make some educated guesses.

Skyhold is apparently a pretty close translation of the fortress's original elven name, which was either "where the sky was held back", or "where the sky is held back", if I recall correctly. Remember that "holding back the sky" is what the old elves called Fen'Harel creating the Veil to separate the Fade from the material world. Both translations are interesting, and I'll cover both of them.

First, if Skyhold is the place where he "held back the sky", then that's the place that the Dread Wolf created the Veil. So I could see it being an already existing fortress at that time. Perhaps Fen'Harel's stronghold, where the freed elves sought refuge to be save from the Evanuris? In that case, it's good that they made it so remote, which lowers the chance that the slaves of the other elven gods find it. And if it serves as a safe haven, it makes sense to be built in a way that makes it near impossible to take it in a frontal assault. And maybe you don't fear being besieged if you can resupply through an Eluvian network, which we know the old elves had. Whether that one was under the control of the Evanuris, or if Fen'Harel (and Mythal) had their own network, we don't know.

Alternatively, Skyhold is the place where "the sky is held back", possibly implying a continuous action. Maybe it's easier to tear down the Veil in Skyhold? Perhaps Fen'Harel and/or his followers fortified the place afterwards, to prevent underlings of the Evanuris from freeing the other elven gods. Again, this specific type of fortress would make sense in that regard. And when the elves degenerated and lost most of their magic, there was no longer a need to defend the place, since nobody could undo what the Dread Wolf did?

I think my first theory is the most likely. And since the humans built on the ruins of the elven fortress, most of the basic design of Skyhold doesn't come from them- Though it's interesting to think about why Ferelden or Orlais would bother to rebuild the castle. Orlais in it's prime simply wanting to deny any potential enemy from fortifying the castle themselves? Ferelden needing it as a forward base against Orlais?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Finally finished Western Approach and now I'm working my way through the Crestwood side quests before I move on to "Abyss." I remember a fair bit of this region but I forgot about the GIANT FUCKIN SPIDER in the cavern under the keep.

I'm looking forward to finally reaching areas I fell short of back in 2015. I think I've already seen some unfamiliar cutscenes due to prioritizing completing companion quests.

The transition to specializations has been a bit ugly in terms of damage output. The boss types have taken forever to bring down. Took some time to do more weapon crafting since I tend to be reluctant about using my materials. Also switching out a rogue for Iron Bull with the big elemental basher I found for him.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Iron Bull can be hard to manage in a fight. His reaver spec means that he'll do huge amounts of damage but it's in exchange for his health, so he'll either chew through all your health potions or spend half the fight knocked out. He really benefits from being properly built and kitted out in stuff that generates guard.

Also if you haven't yet killed your first dragon, the one in the hinterlands, take him with you. He loving loves killing dragons.
Sera has unique comments too if you take her along for it.

Try this build for him https://dragoninquisition.com/warrior-builds/#Two-Handed_Reaver_Build

Also if you have Bull and Dorian in your party and don't romance either of them they'll get together. They need to go through all their banter together for it to happen.

Taear posted:

The way iron bull kills himself as an AI is pretty mad really.
I guess they either didn't notice in playtesting or just couldn't fix it.

Yeah his AI is atrocious, he doesn't seem to use Devour when his health is low, or they set it to be used too late so he takes too much damage first and he ends up getting knocked out before he can use it.

Helith fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 21, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The way iron bull kills himself as an AI is pretty mad really.
I guess they either didn't notice in playtesting or just couldn't fix it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I found a weapon for him that generates guard on hit, but it's single target and I like the wild AoE club he's using. I think that for now I'll just keep an eye on him, as only the mages have been getting whomped in the big fights.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I found a weapon for him that generates guard on hit, but it's single target and I like the wild AoE club he's using. I think that for now I'll just keep an eye on him, as only the mages have been getting whomped in the big fights.

I used him in Trespasser (I played through as the character where I'd had him in the party the whole game) and for some reason in that he was dead in literally every fight almost immediately.
Hadn't been quite so bad before.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Reaver is quite fun to play as the Inquisitor. I had my main set of abilities mapped to number keys so I'd very quickly do the aoe killzone one, then blast them in the face with the high damage one until I was at like 10% health. Feels very powerful

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah letting the Inquisitor go ham with Reaver is fun and feels super powerful, but I stopped letting Bull have the AoE self-harm because he doesn't handle it well unless you basically play him instead. Bull can still be a poo poo-kicker without those abilities but his damage won't shine like it could if you micro'd him.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Not that it really matters at this point, since Awakening is piss easy no matter what you do, but hot drat, Keeper is so much better than Battlemage.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yea now they've nerfed the magical knight thing Reaver is probably the strongest spec.
My warrior felt extremely powerful in Trespasser compared to my poor mage.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, if there ever is a Dragon Age 4 I really hope that they give us a Battlemage style of prestigeclass that allows you to be more active than the usual Mage gameplay. Why they felt the need to nerf the Knight enchanter is kind of weird to me considering what a giant goddamn blender that the Tempest is.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

The funny thing is that the nerfed spirit blade spam wasn't even close to optimal Knight Enchanter play. But spamming Spirit Blade was so simple and it's so easy to be unkillable with a KE, people didn't really explore how to actually play the class.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Smol posted:

The funny thing is that the nerfed spirit blade spam wasn't even close to optimal Knight Enchanter play. But spamming Spirit Blade was so simple and it's so easy to be unkillable with a KE, people didn't really explore how to actually play the class.

It made you functionally immortal and let you kill things far far beyond you in level so it seemed pretty optimal to me!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Taear posted:

It made you functionally immortal and let you kill things far far beyond you in level so it seemed pretty optimal to me!

KE's defensive skills skills Fade Shield, Fade Cloak and Ice Armor make you immortal if you can deal damage fast enough. Spamming Spirit Blade was never the best way to deal damage though, it was merely sufficient.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

VostokProgram posted:

Reaver is quite fun to play as the Inquisitor. I had my main set of abilities mapped to number keys so I'd very quickly do the aoe killzone one, then blast them in the face with the high damage one until I was at like 10% health. Feels very powerful

I think I did Reaver with the % chance for hidden blades and % chance for chain lightning and just spammed the damaging combat roll move. Chain lightning and hidden blades proc off of each other for bonus damage :v:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's not like the game was particularly hard to break with any class iirc. I remember the bow Assassin build I went with melting dragons and Cory in under a minute.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The hardest part of the game is probably the fight at Haven and the subsequent Crestwood Dragon at level 12 because after that the crafting supplies and dragon loot just snowballs your party into invincible killing machines.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The game is a lot more fun and challenging if you ignore crafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
The problem is all the crafted armour for companions looks better than the ones you get as loot.