Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

babypolis posted:

I really dont understand why after selling really well and becoming a classic Bioware decided to turn the Dragons Age franchise into whatever the hell it is today

DAO was so good

EA at the time wanted to diversify their output and bought up all these prestige studios expecting them to deliver a game of DA:O's quality every 24 months. Bioware was RPG Game Dev, Visceral was Horror Game Dev, etc. Obviously a developer like Bioware who had a characteristically deliberate approach to game design and iteration couldn't keep up with the greatly accelerated timetables and stumbled with DA2 and ME3.

Over time they realized this approach wasn't as profitable as just homogenizing every single product into sports & shootman game with lootboxes and unceremoniously dumped all their subsidiaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I see Solas as just another side of the same coin as Corypheus: Haughty arrogant old dudes who want to forcibly revert the world back to some abstract ideal that never really existed, that they themselves played a central role in loving up to begin with. gently caress that noise, Thedas may be a steaming shitheap but at least it's OUR shitheap, so go gently caress off to the veil and leave us alone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Inquisition's combat isn't the best, but it isn't the worst, either. It's just kind of like a single-player MMO where your party mostly does their own thing, which is probably some grand betrayal if you were really into the CRPG roots of the series but not to me since I never liked RTwP combat systems all that much. Some of the specializations are fun and the game is super easy to break with crafting. This is a good thing as I'd have probably given up on the game long ago if the combat was frustratingly difficult.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blackwall is cool because his character arc is one of the few that truly test the limits of the player's own morality. Most people will naturally attempt to be a do-gooder in their RPGs and usually there's very little tension between doing the right thing and generally getting everything you want. But Blackwall's whole predicament puts you in a situation where the unquestionably moral choice is the one that hurts the most if you've grown fond of his character up to that point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

letting him join the wardens is the easy way 2 let hhim feel like hes atoned for his sins by joining the punishment ganfg, rather than facing & owning up 2 his crimes on an individual level stripped of the organisational redemption the grey wardens give him tbh

:yeah:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nobody gives Cole enough poo poo for being the worst most horribly written character in Dragon Age Inquisition. All his dialogue is awful magnetic poetry garbage and magical children are among the worst of RPG tropes. Sera is way better, I can roll with Sera.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blackwall and Sera have great party banter, and combined with Vivienne the tension was so real in my first playthrough of Inquisition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cassandra’s whole characterization is that despite her tough exterior, she’s really into girly feminine things and chick lit romance novels. She’s straight as hell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A character who doesn't immediately want to gently caress anyone, the rarest of all Bioware specimens.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think Cullen was ever intended as a bi romance, in fact his inclusion at all in Inquisition was due to his popularity among female fans of the series.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah remember you can kill Leliana in Origins but they sure as poo poo didn't care about that in DAI.

*thought bubble shows Leliana's thoroughly dismembered corpse sitting in blood* "Eh, it just wasn't my time."

Then they ruined the comedy of it by trying to offer an explanation in Trespasser.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

As I recall if you play with hair/face textures on medium-low settings they look really shiny, this is on PC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For Mass Effect 1 I think it was just a situation where male and female VAs read for the same lines and these were later datamined but the romance paths for Kaidan and Ashley were never intended to be homoavailable. Bioware really wanted you to gently caress the blue alien spacebabe anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

:rip: Bioware

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The problem isn't about the profitability, it's about the margin. You could invest tons of care, manpower and developer time into crafting a really dedicated single player experience like The Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn and see a nice return, or just poo poo out what is basically a multiplayer gambling front with lootboxes for insane profits every time. The former involves a lot of creative risk, your product could fail critically which might adversely affect sales, and the latter plugs directly into people's lizard brains so that you make your money back no matter what gently caress da haters buy our $200 super deluxe mega hype edition with 5 free lootboxes. EA has seen tremendous returns on investment from the card system first implemented in FIFA and over the last five years has tried to homogenize all of their products into the exact same thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

the brain drain at bioware has probably caused a sisyphean cycle of relearning mistakes & pain every time dragon age enters developemnt

the cycle continues...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That dude who sat in your camp with the quest marker over his head until you bought DLC is still one of the scummiest moneygrubbing moves in all gaming history.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That was the cancelled MMO project supposed to follow up Kingdoms of Amalur, not the game itself which 38 Studios had very little to do with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Geostomp posted:

Agreed. Amalur was decent enough game, but it was severely hampered by the fact that it was meant to just be a precursor to an MMORPG and played like one. Meaning massive areas filled with repetitive quests and characters that I cannot be bothered to remember. Combine that with the incredible arrogance of its makers and you end up with one of the biggest disasters in gaming history.

Again, the financial disaster was Schlling's brainchild MMO Project Copernicus that never came to fruition. 38 Studios was formed to create that project, and KoA was a currently in-development RPG from another studio that they absorbed relatively late into its development cycle. KoA was a modest success, it just couldn't save them from the endless pit of money that was their failed MMO. The project leads at 38 never actually released their own game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The classic redemption story of repeatedly saving the life of a man who is practically begging for death, over and over again. Loghain Mac Tyr will live forever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I sided with Alistair my first time through the game but in retrospect it's way funnier to keep Loghain alive against his wishes throughout Origins + Inquisition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I mean, Hawke has more charisma and personality in two voice actors than the Inquisitor does in all four of theirs.

British Female Inquisitor is really good, maybe one of the best in what is by design a generic all-encompassing role.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dwarf Commoner is the best origin imho.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You'll have a worse time with Inquisition the more you try to micromanage your party like a CRPG. You basically play it like an MMO, with the only difference being that the party sometimes listens to your suggestions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The plight of mages in Dragon Age is an unintentionally hilarious example of attempting to provide a balanced ideological argument that does not match the actual text of the game whatsoever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That was so stupid in fact that in Inquisition they even gave the PC a dialogue with Varric to say it made no sense, with him going "yeah well what can ya do" in response.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Origins might have even gone into development before Mass Effect. It had a very long incubation period. Its narrative similarities have more to do with Bioware's own tendencies, the "you're part of this super secret order of badasses, go to these three places then win the game" was their winning formula from KOTOR onward.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The first Witcher might legitimately be one of the worst games I've ever played. The change in quality from TW1 -> TW3 is like several orders of magnitude.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This sounds like an amazing run character-wise. I feel Sera, Blackwall, and Vivienne are the most underrated members of the Inner Circle for a variety of reasons. People think Sera’s too annoying/monkeycheese, Blackwall too boring, and Vivienne too cold and haughty. *motions you to come closer* it’s free real estate bad writing - but consistency issues in the writing aside they’re all amazing.

Sera Blackwell and Viv make an amazing main party.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In all fairness, it'd be really hard for me to even come up with a list of 300 games I know to exist, let alone good ones.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

you can't name an average of 10 good games per year between 1988 and now? that seems... probably really easy to do, especially given that most of those years have 20 good games easy.

Probably not, no.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think that scene quite hits the mark 100% but I appreciate what they were trying to do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unless you romance him, then he is saved by the ~power of love~

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Crestwood dragon is probably the easiest, which is to say it's the one challenging fight in the game, because once you have draconian crafting materials things quickly snowball into your party becoming unstoppable killing machines.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I guess your reaction to this scene depends a lot on whether or not you're into musicals. I watch musicals all the time so characters breaking out into song doesn't really bother me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It’s weird how Leliana’s VA can apparently really sing yet they went with that weird out of place dub for her bit in the first game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

There was a sizable contingent of people who were all on Leliana's VA for having a fake French accent when she's from, like, actual Paris

She's French Canadian IIRC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dienes posted:

Depending on where you are in the game, you can ride the Bull, then break it off to be with Sera. I don't think you can do it in reverse, though.

Reverse Bull is an advanced technique that some claim to have performed, though I have my doubts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Actually it was because of this. Yes, this was an official trailer for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOq6-1OLIyQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's so uniquely terrible that I think everyone retroactively Mandela Effects it to Dragon Age 2.