Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So the old thread has this problem where because ZDR deleted some posts, it bugs the gently caress out for 4 posts every page or so and it's really annoying!

Dragon Age is an RPG series. It has three entries: Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age 2, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Everyone liked the first one, basically everyone hates the second one despite it being GAME OF THE DECADE DARKER SEXIER BETTER, third game played it real safe and is mostly better but GET OUT OF THE HINTERLANDS ASAP AND ALSO BUY THE TRESPASSER DLC or if you are still doing this just the GOTY edition or whatever they call it where you get all the DLCs. They're okay. Also we fight about how bad DA2 really was.

Rumors swirl of a fourth installment coming despite EA turbofucking the Bioware brand with DA2 and later Mass Effect: Andromeda. If rumors are to be believed the very very excellent Alexis Kennedy of Failbetter Games is writing stuff for Dragon Age 4, if it is really happening.

So let's all continue to have derails about whether or not DA2 was bad until the end of time, but without that annoying bug in the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Xibanya posted:

Ughhhh I am ready to be done with this game and banished the grey wardens and now the next story mission needs 40 power points and I just have nine meaning I have to spend a few hours grinding on quests that I passed up earlier for being too tedious.

Time to check Nexus for a nice mod that will let me bypass this horseshit :shepface:

Go kill a couple dragons maybe? I think those give points?? It has been a while and I was too obsessively quest-y to ever need to care about ~ * power points * ~

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm Inquisition's multiplayer

Do you even still work?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I have a minor bowel movement every time my Bookmarked Threads show this thread as having four unread posts.

:same: if I'm being honest

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The main difference between Cory and solas is that Cory had old rear end probable elven bioweapons or side effect ridden PEDs making his brain all screwy

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Xibanya posted:

Note: I’ve skipped over all posts since my last post and will go back and read them once I’m through the DLC.

I just beat the main campaign. WHAT. That was the most convoluted last minute rear end pull I’ve seen in my life. Guess I better do the DLC now to get some kind of explanation.

The fun part is that it's kind of always there when you go back through, but most people are trained to write him off as a standard aloof kind of smug wizard type so they miss it the first time (I did)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Xibanya posted:

Last night I got as far as the library in Trespasser but I still haven’t hit the end.

This is silly, I could stop any time and read what happens on the internet.

I’m in control. I can stop whenever I want! :shepface:

Trespasser and to a different extent Descent have some really cool area design my dude

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's not really foreshadowing him as the villain throughout the game but foreshadowing him being the dread wolf, there's a ton of ancient elf stuff he knows and a lot of the ways he refers to things. Little stuff like how he refers to the little veil related globes as an artifact of his people, but he will not refer to Dalish elves that way.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bogart posted:

It occurs to me I'm not really sure what caused the Rift in the first place. Corypheus? A bunch of very upset wizzards? Solas' unbridled superiority complex being backed up for so long without anyone to lord over?

Solas' orb had the power over the Veil because he presumably used it to make the drat thing in the first place.

I think Corypheus made just a big hole because he didn't really know what the hell he was doing with it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Someone did and the only thing I remember was it taunting him and asking him what he has to be proud about

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I am to this day baffled by the choice for banter to be as sparse as it is. Like I understand that they didn't want you to wear it all out because of how much poo poo there is to do but come on.

Also I'm still mad about them saying working as intended when they were being bombarded with "uhhhh it's been like 40 hours and none of my party has talked to each other since hour 3"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Avalerion posted:

She’s not feminine enough so she obviously must be gay, pretty much. Dunno what to call it but that kind of reasoning doesn’t sit well with me. :shrug:

It's called stereotyping :ssh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bogart posted:

There's a scene where a female character can pursue Cassandra to a certain degree. She is clearly caught off guard and more than flattered, but her response is more to the line of it wouldn't be right than I'm not interested. But hey, you're all right, she has short hair, so she's gay. ??? I thought we were better than this. Ad hominem isn't super cool.

This makes me actually want a romance where the npc at some point admits that they aren't actually into the sex of the player character and breaks it off

It would make people so mad but also it's a real thing that happens

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I remember "once, I had a son who trusted me" being one of the better delivered lines in the game.

But I just looked it up and maybe I just like the scene, it's not that amazingly delivered.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A healthy sheen keeps the darkspawn taint away

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

gowb posted:

Whoa whoa WHOA what is this about Alexis "The Worm in Waiting" Kennedy writing for Dragon Age 4?? Can they put him on the next mass effect game too??

Yeah he's been confirmed for a while. I'm hoping he's writing for whoever is responsible for the Qunari existing but we will see!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

gowb posted:

AFAIU MeA was done by another team...the guys who made the trilogy are working on that Destiny clone. Which looks cool but I doubt it'll scratch the same itch as ME. I feel like the problems with Andromeda went way beyond it being a disappointing continuation of the series. It was just very shoddily made. I could easily see them returning to form after they're done with Anthem, coming "home" to continue the good old adventures of Commander Baldy to much fanfare and hype. People REALLY liked the original trilogy.

It was an entirely new team because EA told them to do it, and it was at first bad in a bunch of really really funny ways and then kind of bland as heck later on, because as it turns out when the publisher tells a studio to make a game in X franchise who cares if you have ideas or not, the game ends up being super formulaic

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I went with Harrowmont first but knowing that Bhelen is by the word of the ending the better choice for the dwarves I really can't not go with him.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

What the gently caress is a "live" element and why does EA think dragon age needs it

this sucks

It seems to translate to "ways we can get a continual money stream out of this game"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ulio posted:

Oh that's hilarious I wanna try that out. If you play Origins on Steam can you carry over your file to Inquisition?

Files don't import to Inquisition, you set a file with DA Keep.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I actually identified more with jerk hawke because I interpreted it all as "god I hate this city and everyone in it you are all the absolute worst"

True to kirkwall he ended up viscount

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh dear me posted:

DAO and DA2 had the lovely conditional tactics system, however, so combos were easier to pull off.

I miss that so much, it was very nice

Technically you can still cheat your combos in Inquisition by just stacking two on-hit effects that make a combo but that's not the same

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Naming of eras in Thedas works basically the same way as it does in the Discworld

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Grundulum posted:

I wish games would refer to the seemingly-impossible bullshit players are able to do outside the rules of the game: things like save/reload, use a console to edit the game state, or add mods. The lore fluff in Morrowind suggested Vivec was able to do some of these things, but that’s the only place I can recall (outside of comedy games that break the fourth wall routinely) where I’ve seen it.

Particularly the way Vivec explains what it's like when he dies is a lot like what it's like to the person playing the game when their character bites it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Everyone is basically lucky there because Corypheus' plan would probably have basically worked if he'd done it in the middle of nowhere but instead he decided he had to kill the lady pope at a big important political thing

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

Something I can't name about the Witcher games strikes me as like... alienatingly from a hetero male POV, and not just because the protagonist is one. That, my desire to create and play my own character, and Geralt being painfully boring to me have prevented me from getting into it, even though so many people say 3 is one of the best games of all time.

Honestly the books are that way too. Like even Philippa Eilhart's sexual relationship with a lady whose name I'm not sure was ever even stated was very clearly done from a male POV. Just about as awkward as "this is a straight man talking about women having sex with each other" can get.

The third game is really good not so much because of Geralt but because of the little stories that you can just find, and the major plot all being about someone else. They're all just about other people. It also does a really good job of making your decisions matter in ways that you maybe didn't see coming at first but definitely make sense in hindsight.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

However, I do think that "An unlikeable jerk of a protagonist and a world I feel no compelling desire to save" is an odd pair of reasons to avoid the game; I'd argue that Geralt's jerkiness comes largely from having been living in the lovely world too long to have any interest in saving it, so that could actually be quite relatable, in a way

Also the whole training process for young witchers is extremely terrible and I think would be the thing that does the real damage to their emotions, not the mutations. Like it's a really, really bad world and witchers get one of the shortest sticks out there.

e: But to reiterate, it really is a fair criticism you have there. It's a rare case where being super faithful to the source material is a something of a weakness.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 16, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also yeah Witcher 3 has a not great start. The Crones of Crookback Bog section was the first bit that floored me and that can be like 20-30 hours in if you gently caress around a whole lot

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

I like em too, they're nicely eerie. Varric, Bull, and Blackwall all have entertaining/interesting things to say as you explore the area as well.

Yeah, they're just so god drat big and empty and the music and the giant rear end moon

I just wish the first time I played it Solas and Varric hadn't gotten caught in a loop of saying the same goddamn banter every 30 seconds

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

John Dyne posted:

I only ever saw Aladdin and Lion King. I watched cartoon network and played video games mostly.

Oh no you missed the catchiest disney song though

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If you do things right the dwarf warden can be a paragon which is a great gently caress you to your idiot little brother though

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I want Harrowmont the first time but I made a lot of dumb choices the first time

Such as playing a warrior

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

snoremac posted:

With the amount of action-specific dialogue/cutscenes they have in Inquisition I don't think it'd be hard to add a few things in respect to my sick desires.

I've heard about how underwhelming Andromeda was, but wasn't Inquisition made by a different studio? Did they all abandon ship?

A bunch of DA team employees have left Bioware and also there is some worry around that EA will have looked at the Andromeda mess and decided that high budget RPGs won't make money

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

peer posted:

Shale is the most attractive companion

Alas, love between golem and magpie was not to be

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cass is very feminine inside she just made some practical choices due to her literally hitting dudes with swords job

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Avalerion posted:

And since it apparently needs to be said, being feminine/masculine has nothing to do with being gay/straight.

Agree though that the Da2 approach is probably best - everyone is bi unless there's a specific reason (ex Dorian) why they couldn't be.

I still hate that approach though, unless they very specifically write each character as bi then it just feels like lazy pandering to me

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

eating only apples posted:

The devs did obviously want him to always be around seeing as the alternative is Merrill and there's no healing apart from him.

If you play a mage this is far less important a decision since you can spec into healing iirc?

If you're rogue Hawke you just kill everything and it's all good. No one ever played it on any difficulty but Easy and if you did you're either an idiot or going for the achievement. The latter fair enough, I did that for DAI.

(i took Anders everywhere and he did nothing wrong)

Yeah, mage Hawke can be a healer. It's a good spec choice. I think it and force mage are the two standout options, IIRC blood mage was not great in 2.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

I prefer jumping off Leliana's balcony and landing on top of Solas' desk while he's trying to work

Extreme same

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I figure the Arishok in 2 is not so much being cryptic intentionally as he is being very ashamed and very incapable of talking about his problems due to said shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cythereal posted:

If you play a qunari, Cory says you stink of dragon's blood and that your race was a mistake.

He also says that if Bull is there, I think