Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I quit DAI about 2/3 of the way through because I felt overwhelmed with quest icons all over my map and no idea what I was "supposed" to be doing. I just reinstalled it and am going to play on Casual in the hope of burning through it to the end. I recall re-starting the game several times trying to find a playstyle I could stick with. I usually prefer ranged and know I had a mage and an archer, but that's the extent of my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been looking for a general guide on progressing through the game on account of getting terribly bogged down last time. I knew enough to visit Orlais as soon as I had four Power points. I think I'm supposed to complete the lowest level regions before I reach a decision point with the Mages/Templars.

I'm not a completionist as much as someone who wants to see as much content as possible, and not miss cool stuff due to doing things out of order.

EDIT: Here's some of what I've found...

https://dragonageinquisition.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/57otsy/dai_spoilers_ideal_game_progression/

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/5nut4g/no_spoilers_recommendations_for_order_of_areas_to/

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 26, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I want more of Varric annoying Cassandra. So far that's my favorite interaction.

VVVV EDIT: I stopped playing DA:O just short of that battle. I remember getting stuck in a courtyard that was full of enemies and little dragons and just couldn't get past it.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 27, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm still working my way through Ferelden before I get to that first big plot point after choosing between the Templars and Mages. I'm in Forbidden Oasis now, and after using a guide to grab all of the shards trying to finish off whatever else is here. I came across a cave entrance I didn't remember from when I last played in 2015 so I strolled in and SPIDERS SPIDERS SPIDERS! :gonk:

VVVVVV
EDIT: Been chasing an "!" around the map and she's never there when I arrive so it's off to wrap up the Hinterlands. That place is even larger than I remembered.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 11, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I want a mission to hire someone to make coffee for the war council. With maybe a dash of ground red lyrium to punch it up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just got to Skyhold and goddamn I forgot how big this game is.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Got my specialization, and I will spend the rest of the game making things dead and on fire, not necessarily in that order.

But oh lord there's a lot of game left. Glad I'm pacing myself this time.

EDIT: I went back to the Hinterlands to try to finish it off. Had Tyrdda's staff and my new fire/necro build and holy poo poo this is a noisy spec and everything is on fire and panicking and I'm surrounded by fire mines. :supaburn:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 14, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Finally finished Western Approach and now I'm working my way through the Crestwood side quests before I move on to "Abyss." I remember a fair bit of this region but I forgot about the GIANT FUCKIN SPIDER in the cavern under the keep.

I'm looking forward to finally reaching areas I fell short of back in 2015. I think I've already seen some unfamiliar cutscenes due to prioritizing completing companion quests.

The transition to specializations has been a bit ugly in terms of damage output. The boss types have taken forever to bring down. Took some time to do more weapon crafting since I tend to be reluctant about using my materials. Also switching out a rogue for Iron Bull with the big elemental basher I found for him.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I found a weapon for him that generates guard on hit, but it's single target and I like the wild AoE club he's using. I think that for now I'll just keep an eye on him, as only the mages have been getting whomped in the big fights.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just fought the Crestwood dragon and it was not great. Dorian died fairly early on even with the weird amulet that gives him a high chance to autorevive. Iron Bull came close to dropping several times but I gave him the guard on hit weapon before the fight and I think that made the difference. Time for the Abyss!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Finished the Abyss, forgot there was an even bigger goddamn spider at the end. A poo poo ton of missions unlocked at the war table, and I made several passes through the companions because there were loads of cutscenes to catch up on.

Sorry about hiring the wardens Solas, but unless you were planning to fight the next Blight by yourself it had to be done.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Loghain I have bad news about those vacation plans you made.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

SOLAS NEEDS HELP! :supaburn:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have finally reached a place I didn't see when I first played the game! :toot:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm about halfway through Exalted Plains and goddamn this game is huge what the gently caress. I'm going to die of old age before I finish this thing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

But I might miss out on something. :ohdear:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was doing a dual playthrough the first time back in 2015 before I ran out of steam. This playthrough is so I can finally finish the drat thing before the next one comes out. I have RDR 2 and Civ 6 lined up but I can't install them until this is done or I will never finish.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

BUT THERE ARE DIAMONDS ALL OVER THE MAP :supaburn:

EDIT:

I have come to my senses and wrapped up the important quests in the Exalted Plains. God help me I am about to start that garbage Winter Place mission. I have two walkthroughs ready.

EDIT 2: Finished the Winter Palace. Off to... Emprise whatever? I'm in the death march phase of trying to finish this game.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 29, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Blackwall WTF!?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was in the middle of thinking about who should be the next Divine, glad I was done with that goddamn Winter Palace and BAM this Blackwall poo poo out of nowhere.

But I forgave him. I mean, that beard needs to be free.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I feel like every time the main quest advances Josephine's chair gets bigger.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm going through Emerald Graves trying to wrap up Cullen's mission and ran into three giants and a goddamn dragon. There are giant bears here too so I'm trying to see if there's a way to sneak through.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In Emerald Graves I stumbled upon my strongest party yet: My necro/fire mage, Cassandra, Sera and Vivienne. I didn't expect them to do so well but I've tackled two giants and come out of it with everyone at full health.

I just returned to try and wrap up Cassandra's mission, and stumbled into the giant area again. We had to kill one and managed to do it without aggroing any of the rhinos. Great! And then a rhino walked right across my fire mine and triggered almost fifteen minutes of every goddamn rhino on the map rushing to the fight. I've never seen that before in this game, and wound up in a huge pile of animal loot.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Of all those companions you named Peebee is the only one I remember. I can probably name most of the ME ones.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

How many other people here have named their inquisitor Harold so all the voiced lines call your character by their name?

Now I want a business card that reads "Harold Andraste"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just finished the Well of Sorrow and god willing will finally be done with the game this weekend.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

What the gently caress Solas? :stare:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have collected my first expensive dog treat and straightened two pictures.

I thought I was done with this game!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Christ these spirit NPCs are so goddamn hard to kill. I hate these things.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Well did not come in Dr Pepper flavor.

I changed up my group, brought Cassandra (instead of Blackwall), Iron Bull (damage) and Sera (damage and less squishy than a mage.) I saw there were two side paths before entering the Deep Roads mirror and tried the left hand one and holy poo poo got eaten alive by demons. Won't be doing that again. The difficulty level from the end of the main game to Trespasser is unpleasant and it's now a real slog to force myself to finish it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I began skimming the Trespasser quest walkthrough and it looks like it just goes and goes and goes and it killed my will to finish it. Fighting a fuckload more qunari that take forever to kill is not fun for me. I finished the main game. I think that will have to do.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've crafted a fair bit of gear, but despite picking up every damned object in sight I have very few Tier 4 resources, and only Tier 3 schematics. I try to keep my core team set up well, and they have what seem to me to be very nice drops. Cassandra has an axe that does 300+ dps, Iron Bull has a 2H drop with similar DPS and a bunch of resists. I boosted my own armor up a fair bit. I always match my new loot up against all my companions to see if it's an upgrade for anyone.

But these Trespasser enemies all feel like damage sponges so the fights drag on and on, and there appears to be so many more fights ahead.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Are there schematics for anything you think might get me over the hump? I did find that shop, and I have a pretty good load of money.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm a mage, and don't have the other DLCs. I see now that the "demon rooms" have Tier 4 schematics for those items with stacking bonuses, so maybe I will try those again. Or just press on. You've all encouraged me to see this thing through.

EDIT: With that shop I can make a bunch of +50 against living runes so I can at least do that before the next stage.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Helith posted:

Ok, for mage armour you want as many utility slots as you can get, if you have it then the superior battlemage armor is great, otherwise the lower tier battlemage armor, whatever you have with the highest utility slots. Use mats that give you willpower, some magic is good but lean more into willpower. Craft battlemage arms and legs too and load those with willpower. Also craft whatever hood you can, look for utility slots and get that willpower up. For masterworks it depends on what you have and what you're struggling with. If you are dying too much then put something that gives you guard on hit in there, if you run out of juice then something that gives you more mana. A fun option for a mage is fade touched plush fustian velvet that gives you a chance of hidden blades on hit, you do loads of damage with this when it procs.
Don't neglect accessories, get a belt of health or ranged defense on, highest level you have, a ring of doubt is amazing on mages as enemies ignore you and pair it with a ring of attack or critical damage. For amulets if you have Andraste's sacrifice the mana regen is great for mages otherwise put on the best amulet of magic you have.

For your staff see if you have the Seer staff or the masterwork Mortalitasi staff and again lean towards willpower mats. Craft a blade and grip that give you more utility slots and load willpower and some magic.

For all companions gear that has guard on hit will help them immensely, especially Iron Bull, Cole and your tanks Cassandra and Blackwall.

First off thank you for taking the time to write this. I am experimenting now, and realize that I never really understood the crafting system. In some ways I still don't. My two top mage armor schematics both have one utility slot, but one is metal and the other cloth, so that must mean they offer different bonuses. I do finally understand that the masterwork slot is where you get that Guard on Hit stat, but I only have a single unit of Fade Touched Obsidian. At least my tanky people already have items that provide guard on hit.

EDIT: Looking at my staff schematics I don't have a Tier 3 staff, but I do have some decent lower options, and I can load up on Heal on kill which might help. My current staff is a drop that sets nearby enemies on fire which seemed fun.

EDIT 2: I decided to go back and try that nasty demon room again. Same result. But there was a second one with only two enemies and Cassandra and Blackwall generated so much guard that Iron Bull and I lost almost no health. I'm curious to see if in the Library section I can grab some T4 schematics before I dive into the last section of the quest.

EDIT 3: :hellyeah: I now have the Skin that Stalks and Tier 4 armor schematics for all weights! Going to make sure that everyone gets a set of this stuff. I see that there are no class restrictions, but I'm guessing I would miss out on the boosts I need if I went for a heavier weight.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 7, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm at the Winter Palace for what might be the last time. I managed to get some buffs from the fireworks. I'm a bit torn who to bring with me on the final push (which sounds like it will be quite tough), but I think Cassandra and Sera are coming based on how they did during the last stage, so I will see if there's anything else I need to craft for them. Unfortunately I don't have any Tier 3 or higher weapons schematics for Cassandra, so all I can do is armor, and her Divine rig might be better than anything I can make.

Here's the new bow for Sera, and there was really only one choice for the masterwork slot...

EDIT: I put a fair amount of "Stagger when hit" on a shield for Cassandra and now fights look like Peewee League tryouts except the people falling down are also on fire and covered with bees.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 9, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Goddammit Solas. I was using that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I expected to be able to have my "go to" team of Cassandra, Varric and Solas available straight through until the end of the game, so it felt a little weird to have to use Cassandra, Sera and Vivienne for the final push. At the last moment I crafted that staff/lightning sword for Vivienne since she goes into melee all the time and I think that helped, along with the other crafting suggestions in this thread. There was lots of fire and bees and swearing during what turned out to be the last fight, before I stepped through the mirror to confront Solas.

Not sure what Bioware has planned for the next installment so I'll keep my saved games just in case.

Although I have RDR 2 I need a break before I jump into another huge game, so I'll give Civ 6 a go first. Got it for free and I'm a big fan of the earlier versions.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Torrannor posted:

So, what did you think of Trespasser, and Inquisition in general, Dick Trauma? You obviously didn't like the gameplay too much, but what about the character moments, and the story? I loved the DLC for both these things. You can see how Bioware laid the foundations for this ending a long time ago. Do you remember this quote from Sandal in DA2?

I liked the gameplay in the main game, much less so in the DLC where I feel the enemies simply had way too much hp. The anchor turning into a timebomb was an interesting game mechanic, but the last enemy's attack that drains your focus took the drama out of it. I generally play Bioware-y games for story, like interactive movies, and this one generally pressed all the right buttons for me, more so than the original DA. (I didn't play DA2.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I miss that mega lightning power from DA:O... Storm of the Century? You could kill your companions if you weren't careful placing it but goddamn it was fun if the area was clogged with enemies.