Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ugh its Troika posted:

iron bull is an annoying preachy :spergin:

gently caress Bull, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Naw, man, the music and the action leading up and during the final boss fight of Trespasser that stood with the Siege of Haven as a highlight of the game for me. Spoiler for the poster who hasn't gotten that far yet: It's disappointing that the boss couldn't have been someone more important than a nameless qunari mage, but that guy was a beast on a level that Corypheus should have been, and racing your enemy to that point while at the same time trying not to explode as your Mark overloads was great tension.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And then you get into crafting weapons or high end abilities or simply over level and guys just melt. It is not perfectly balanced. I ended up turning on most of the challenges to make guys tougher so I would actually have to do things on nightmare.

Which I think says a bit about this game compared to the first two because I thought Origins was hard enough on Normal to be worthwhile but this one it felt much better to start on Hard and move up from there.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 6, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The funny idea to me is the implication from the cover that Varric wrote friend fiction of fem-Hawke, which is funnier if your Hawke was a dude but he still did it anyway.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

They could add in little daily challenges/bonuses/missions or whatever that are side poo poo that you by no means have to do to progress, but are there to give you a reason to pick up the game and play every day. Asscreed origins has a thing where once a day, you can pick up a mission that rewards you with a lootbox, and that's pretty neat and not too obtrusive.

You could do this for bonus missions and challenge runs, or even go full MGSV with research projects and weapons and base raids that you can use Inquisition Coins to finish early.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think that was more because they originally were going to let make shep bang Kaidan in the first game and then didn't.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Don't collect the goat rear end? The repeatable goat rear end stuff is for power gamers. Go raid a ruin or bomb some templars or something.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

First time I played Origins I had some bug during the Siege of Redcliffe where enemies kept spawning and I was fighting for hours going WTF. I'm pretty sure I lost everyone who joined me in that fight.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I can forgive a lot if it lets me become a human blender and splash so much blood on the screen that when I pause I literally can't see myself or who I'm killing through the blood effects. DA2 let me do that.

And I've never played another game that let me do what Force Mage and Spirit Healer do, which is play "technical pacifist" and sling my enemies around helpless;y while my immortal companions mop up. Maybe Mass Effect adepts do some of that, but that was hilarious. "I'm not killing you" I say as a force push crowds of people around the room like air hockey pucks.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 28, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

:agreed:

Corypheus being such a pushover really killed DA:I for me. There's no challenge in fighting him, his plans suck and all fail, and his allies are pathetic. Kinda feel bad for the guy.

I feel like the final boss of Trespasser was more the boss fight Corypheus should have been--like that was their mea culpa and delivering on the promise of a super magical bad rear end fight--but it's tied to a guy who almost literally has no identity so it doesn't have the same punch as the archdemon who has been built up all game and now is finally here. If DA4's final boss is Fen'harel or some similar super elf and the fight is as buckwild as the end of Trespasser, I think it'll be satisfying.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah letting the Inquisitor go ham with Reaver is fun and feels super powerful, but I stopped letting Bull have the AoE self-harm because he doesn't handle it well unless you basically play him instead. Bull can still be a poo poo-kicker without those abilities but his damage won't shine like it could if you micro'd him.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Force Mage / Spirit Healer just keeps all enemies helpless on the ground and all allies in top murdering condition so with friends you are a unstoppable walking magic threshing machine.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I say two handed if only because my fondest memories of DA2 usually involve turning crowds of goons into jelly and giblet tornadoes with Whirlwind. It is over the top which is probably the best way to take DA2.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

My two favorite Blackwall lines are

Inquisitor: *sees Darkspawn*

Inquisiotor: Hey Blackwall, how many Darkspawn are there?

Blackwall: Uhh... too many to count so be on guard.

Inquisitor: Blackwall how do Grey Wardens kill an Archdemon since Cory has one?

Blackwall: Well Grey Wardens have to be the one to make the final blow.

Inquisitor: But why does it have to by a Grey Warden?

Blackwall: Uhh... it's the Silverite blades they use.

I like the last one because that could just as well be a lie to keep the secret of why wardens have to land the killing blow a secret.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I agree that it's on the Keeper handling that situation badly. She didn't explain things well (or at all) to the tribe and interfered to no purpose but martyrdom for her beliefs--in that way, she was exactly like Merrill. If she'd stayed out of it, maybe Merrill would have died, but it would have been a consequence of her own actions and proof of the value of the taboo. To a certain extent I think the Keeper was afraid Merrill would succeed, and fanned flames of prejudice over the taboo before sabotaging Merrill to prove the taboo's purpose, which sent the clan into a fury (at least in most playthroughs--I think you can convince them to stand down, but I'm not sure).

Granted, it's been a minute since I played DA2.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What i like is playing certain ways and then taking an action that is against type, which will then comically fail.

For those that don't know, Dragon Age 2 has a hidden number related to your personality type. So if you go through most of the game picking diplomatic choices and then take a threatening action, no one will believe your threat because you're not that kind of guy and can't sell it. But if you go aggressive and get to the same choice, it'll work.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Truecon420 posted:

You can literally visit him after the circle quest in the circle room next to the first floor stairs and he is still talking about killing all the Mages. I understand that he’s a cute husband and he “gets better later” but that doesn’t excuse the fact he was calling for the slaughter of a lot of ton of innocent, vulnerable people.

I understand that he was deeply traumatized. After he proposed slaughtering a marginalized group, I’m not giving him a break. Maybe a chance at redemption and rehabilitation, but he’s still basically a fascist in the first game

I can kind of excuse his behavior in the tower somewhat because time passes arbitrarily in games and for him and his characterization the longest it's been since he was brutalized by possessed mages is "next day, maybe later the same week." He isn't going to be thinking right for a long time (canonically most of a decade), and says things he regrets, which is reflected in later games.

To be clear, I'm not a Cullen stan. I barely noticed him in my first playthrough because I didn't go mage, and didn't really pay him any attention in my mage playthrough either. His fandom was also baffling to me from the outset.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

they definitely have an overarching storyline planned IIRC

I believe they (Mark Darrah specifically I think) once said they had about 6 games worth of stuff planned but how much of that has survived to the present is a big question.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

And all of those those +%healing recieved items that look really rad for your meatwalls?
Complete placebo. The stat doesnt function at all.

loving :what:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Its annoying when Morrigan points out dumb RPG conventions that you still have to do. Like at the beginning of Lothering Alistair is like "you know the drill, this is a Bioware RPG, we have to go to three different areas in any order, resolve the smaller problem there then get help for the climactic end battle." and Morrigan goes "What? No, let's kill Logain first so he's not hounding us the rest of the game" and you're not allowed to even say "hey good idea" or try to do that, the game just ignores that and moves on.

My first stop in my first playthrough was Denerim to specifically try and get at Loghain because I was like "if she's asking why don't we do that, maybe that's supposed to be a clue that I can do that."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Raygereio posted:

One of the weird things in Origins' narrative really is that it expects you to love Duncan. Presumably the PC & Duncan were travelling together for some time together in between the conscription and Ostagar (they would have had to because otherwise the timeline doesn't make sense in a lot of places), but the game never shows or even tells you any of that. So from the perspective of the player, Duncan is just this weird dude who swooped in when your life turned to poo poo and then made it extra lovely by forcing you to become a warden.
Which makes the "paradise" the Sloth demon creates for the PC during the Mage's Circle quest line just bizarre. Why would any of the characters from the various origins want to live out the rest of their days in Weisshaupt with Duncan?

This makes me wonder if at one point during development, they intended for you to have been a warden for a while, possibly from a very young age. Perhaps you trained with Alistair as your rival or sidekick depending on how you wanted it to go, and Duncan was your mentor and father figure for a substantial part of your backstory. Basically like how Jade Empire opens, but with the Grey Wardens instead of the Two Rivers School, and then played straight.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nephthys posted:

It might have been better to let you be more resentful towards him, but at some point you're getting into 'how dare this game force me to start the story' territory.

It's always nice when you can just say no at the start of the game, though. Like in Pillars of Eternity 2, the god of death finds you as you're dying and says "Hey, do something for me and I'll save you" and you can refuse and s/he'll say "Okay." And so you die and get a little note where I think you are reincarnated as like field mouse or something, I forget.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I've never kicked out or killed a party member because it's never a case of getting some new branching quest or alternate party member (well other than the evil asari vampire daughter in ME2 but that's the exception), it just means less content and an empty spot in camp where a guy normally stands. Even the one time I tainted the ashes and proceeded to murder Wynne I just did it for the specialization unlock and reloaded right after because that's an extremely dumb choice you have no incentive to make outside of evil spite.

Would more mutually exclusive companions be a thing people want in Dragon Age, a la Alistair/Loghain and Samara/Morinth?

Like you mention killing Wynne and Zevran and I'm reminded of Fire Emblem and how in those games losing people is sometimes how you unlock other characters. In Fire Emblem 5, which I'm replaying, there's a guy named Eyrios who cannot stand another character named Olwen. If you miss Olwen or she dies, he's happy to join you. If she's still around, though, he will throw himself into an early grave to stop you and her both from breathing.

Could you have something like that in a Dragon Age game and make it fun, enjoyable and/or meaningful? In the Alistair/Loghain case, most of the game is already over so there's not that much you'd do different, and they fill identical roles. In the Samara/Morinth case, Morinth just pretends to be Samara so the changes are minimal. But what if killing Zevran when he ambushes you means that a different story opens instead of just being cut off?

Imagine Dragon Age 2 but if you help Merrill in her quest...she lets out a demon that possesses her, turning her into an abomination, and the abomination is all about trying out this thing called living. You lose Merrill but gain this abomination character. Or you can convince her to give up and she stays Merrill.

Or to use your Wynne example, perhaps there's a Reaver blood mage who rankles at the idea of being in the same party as a stuffed shirt circle loyalist, but if you taint the ashes and kill Wynne (or Wynne leaves) then she happily joins up with you.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 16, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Eimi posted:

I'm not sure BW could pull it off. The companions that are a binary choice like that are really fluffy and non impact, because "what if you don't recruit them?!" They would have to get over being scared of route exclusive content.

Yeah I was thinking that.

But now I'm thinking of situations where you could take pieces already on the board, and instead of brushing them off, you could keep them, but only in certain situations. Like in Inquisition, you deal with the Warden problem and either Hawke or one of the warden characters, like Loghain, is available after that but has a mission to go to Weisshaupt. Well, what if you had finished Blackwall's mission and let him hang for his crimes instead of forcing him into the Inquistion. Now the Inquisition has a vested interest in someone sticking the Inquisition to shape its course and politics, and whoever survived the Fade mission comes back to sign on.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A Catherine the Great and Peter III situation, perhaps.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The ending was trash, and there's no changing anyone's whose mind is made up about it now. Too much time has passed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I remember there's a planet in Mass Effect 1 with text full of evidence of fighting back against the "horrors from out of space" or something to that effect and a guy is devoting all his wealth to researching and excavating it. Basically lays out a whole planet to mine for information about the reapers and their conquest--what could have been a meaty hook for a "kick the Reapers rear end" plot--and literally never mentioned outside of an optional scan point in the first game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Bad news about Solas in DA4. :troll:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Doesn't Riordan always die in the Siege of Denerim?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Walking into Act 3 feels like you're looking at the writers themselves when they have just finished congratulating themselves on an epic ending and they all realize at once "oh gently caress we're not actually done."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Wait.

The society where if you arent born with magic you arent a citizen. Where if you are born without magic you have no rights, and can be enslaved, murdered, blood magic batteried, raped, or worse with zero repercussions unless you have a Mage patron who will defend you.

The society where even being a Mage isnt enough, and Mages with limited talent are killed, or have the magical power ripped from their body to fuel more powerful Mages spells, killing them extremely painfully.

The society where "demons and abominations run freely", only held back by the fact if they cross a more powerful magister they'll be destroyed. But otherwise can kill and maim as they wish to the aforementioned non citizens.

The society built around constantly killing each other with magic, constant power struggles, and constantly purging the nonMages/slaves for more blood/power.

This is the place you point at for "magic done right"?

In previous editions of this debate, the traditional retort is "that's just Chantry propaganda." And if we put aside what we see Tevinter slavers willing to do casually in Origins, even Tevinter homeboy Dorian admits that this stuff happens, just behind closed doors. The Chantry propaganda part is mostly just saying its public, but in actual fact the rules of society say you can't just do that out in the open.

I think it says something about what happens behind those closed doors that people are willing to throw everything away, even their identity and sense of self, to join the Qun rather than remain a slave in Tevinter.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 10, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

isk posted:

I don't disagree with any of this, but I did want to say Inquisition's Trespasser has a smooth implied transition to the next protagonist. The ending is a proper handoff

*The sound of one hand clapping.*

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I always felt like Morrigan needs some time to get some levels so she doesn't have poo poo spell selection, but that may be a playstyle thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

pentyne posted:

Its a testament to how incredibly bland and boring maleRyder was that literally every Ryder meme is of femRyder.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Themes (THE Middle Earth Setting)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If you feed Grieving Mother to the blood pool, no one else will notice but she will know what is happening and glare at you as she dies. Her buff is pretty good, though, so no regrets.

If you feed the pool Kana Rua, then you can tell his sister what you did in front of the people who were there when you did it. Everyone is appropriately dumbstruck by how callous and cavalier you are about it, and Maia will leave the party if she has joined and go hostile.

The only game I know off hand that does the "killing off your party gives you new party members and not just less content" mentioned upthread is Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, where you're expected to sacrifice people for power as part of the plot and so they keep you stocked with new recruits.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

McCloud posted:

:hmmyes:

I did a playthrough as a goody two-shoes lawful stupid angel guy (i.e a paladin, lol) and i gotta say, it was a very satisfying story.
It's too bad the game mechanics were extremely tedious

I was enjoying WOTR until I got to the Abyss and the gimmick of the environment changing based on how you turn the camera is pretty cool but extremely tedious and killed all my forward momentum.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

There are other backgrounds there?

Technically, there's a free class of non-magisters but they struggle not to be economically driven into slavery by the slave-owning class, at least if Krem's story is to be believed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hooooooooo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, my immediate concern isn't the graphics, because those are are something that can be rough up to and even after release. It's that this doesn't look like a RTWP tactical RPG the series ostensibly is.

Of course, the leaked screenshots may not be showing that element, or they are working on how they want it to work outside of tactical mode and that'll come later. It's often that stuff is just missing until it isn't. It's just after all this time I'd hoped for more. I remember some of the leaked Inquisition screenshots looking pretty neat! But we know at this point that Inquisition's development was a mess that should have failed, so maybe this is a perversely positive sign?

Ultimately, these leaks mean basically nothing on their own.

edit: People are talking about how it somehow looks like God of War, and I'm not really seeing it, but I am reminded about the documentary they put out with the original God of War (I think it was a special feature you unlocked by beating the game?) and how originally it was about a guy with Icarus wings as they were focused on making the levels. It wasn't until much later as they were adding and iterating on the combat that it became what we know as God of War and they changed the player character to Kratos. A game can change substantially and quickly during dev.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 6, 2023