Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Thinking back on DA:I. I played through the whole game without talking to Solas at all. Surprise to me when he turned out to be important!

That's not true, I talked to him something like twice. And I ended up making him really angry, and I didn't like his big, stupid, shiny head so I said "FINE, stay in your weird room I forget even exists half the time until I run through it and get all Gandalf 'I have no memory of this place.'"

Yea.

Also, Blackwall, Dorian, and Sera were my favorite teammates and never left my party. Honestly, DA:I was the first Bioware game where I mostly ignored my teammates (except for these 3, really). I think DA:2 started that trend for me, where I ignored whatever that angst elf guys name was, since whatever I said made him angry.

But, anyway, Dorian was the best and I hope I get to kill Solas or something (I'm actually kind of "meh" on Solas. A little peeved that he took my hand). We still spoiling stuff from DA:I? Not really following the thread.

Sorry for rambling, just felt like sharing.

Edit: I heard that maybe/probably DA4 will/could be set in Tevinter. That'd be pretty cool. Maybe Dorian will show up again and I can be his Sword&Shield while he obliterates our enemies with fire and purple magic.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I think I played a Warrior through each game. Dual-Wield swords in Origins, I have no idea in DA2, and Sword & Board in Inquisition.

I think I start each game as a bow Rogue, but something about Bioware's idea of what a archer/ranger/bow-rogue is is different from mine, so I always just end up rerolling a Warrior. I eventually try a Mage as well, but the way I play (ignoring teammates and tactics) does not lend itself well to being magically based. Mages are fun, but being the MC means I just pull aggro too easily and thus being a Warrior just makes things easier.

Looking back, I don't know why I went with a dual-wield sword Warrior in Origins. It looks dumb now and it's not something I'd do again, but it's my "canon" playthrough. Also, I really hate DA2, but it's also my most played. I think I've played it start to finish, 100%, 3 or 4 times. There's got to be a name for that. My "canon" Hawke is a sarcastic rear end in a top hat because I hated almost everyone in that game. I wish it were easier to import/recreate him in Inquisition.

I've only played fully through Origins and Inquisition once, but I like them way more. Although, I vastly prefer the more action oriented combat of Inquisition so going back to Origins is difficult.

Also, I went on the DA Keep and I just realized I need to stop making my characters all look so similar. (1st and 3rd are blurry because they are pulled and enlarged from the DAK. 3rd is less pale in-game :shrug:)

I don't even remember giving the Warden that tattoo. Seems out of character for me.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I side with the Templars and never had to kill my sister. The mages were wrong, but I won't say the Templars did nothing wrong. The circle (or something like it) is necessary whether mages like it or not. However, the way they were treated (like criminals or vicious animals) was unnecessary. Distance between Templars and mages made sense (made it easier for Templars to do their job if/when necessary), but outright hostility was uncalled for.

Anders was wrong and pretty much a moron. However, the circle in Kirkwall was really hosed up and needed the chantry to step in and bring Meredith to heel. I mean, they couldn't because of events and the red lyrium, but they also didn't appear to attempt anything at all. It was a vicious cycle, really. The Templars cracked down because of blood magic being done, which led to more mages using blood magic as a way to defend themselves, and so on. Meredith's insanity and growing paranoia obviously didn't help.

I personally don't have an issue with blood magic. I see it like any other magic. It's how it's used that defines whether it's bad or not. The problem is that most people who end up using blood magic are using it as a last resort, and are usually unstable or beyond any sort of reason. This leads to the stigma it has in the rest of Thedas that isn't really present in Tevinter. Although, Dorian points out that what the southern countries think blood magic is and what Tevinter thinks it is aren't quite the same.

Anyway, siding with the Templars is what I do in DA2 and DA:I. Some misled mages/Anders started a war that nobody needed over something they are wrong about (that they should be free). We've seen through all of the games just how easy it can be for a mage to fall victim to a demon. That's just not something that should be allowed to roam freely, because once they become an abomination the horrible things they do compared to just being a mage escalates.

I have no sympathy for Anders or any mages that perpetuated the war. I do feel sorry for the mages that didn't want to fight but were forced to join the rest because of overzealous Templars killing on sight (although, to be fair, they were being misled by a demon, but they chose to follow orders they possibly knew were wrong).

So, that's my stance on the politics in a video game.
:goonsay:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You can read about all of the Ages before and current on the wiki here. I assume there may be spoilers for Inquisition (or any of the current games, really) if you haven't played that.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I honestly forgot the Hissing Wastes existed after unlocking it and completed the game without ever going there. It was on my second playthrough when I was looking at the wiki for schematics I missed (I wanted the Templar armor) and found out it was there at a shop. Thankfully you can save/load schematics whenever so I was able to pop into my old save and just buy the schematic and upload it to my gold nurgle or whatever it's called.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Blackwall and Dorian are my two favorite teammates. I didn't really like any of the others (Sera is okay, I guess). I completely forgot Cole existed.

I hear a lot of people hate/dislike Blackwall. Can someone explain why?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Wolfsheim posted:

Other than that he's a pretty generic 'do the right thing' guy [...]

Hmm. I guess since my characters are usually Paladin types (or Paragon in ME speak) that never really bothered me about him. And I really liked his personal quest. My DA Keep says that Blackwall was released from prison, but sentenced to undergo a proper Grey Warden Joining after completing his work with the Inquisition.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

snoremac posted:

Maybe there’s more to him but Blackwall seems like the most generic boring party member in the series.

He's not. That's Solas (not generic, but definitely boring).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I love Dorian and I hope he makes a reappearance in Dragon 4ge.

If there was ever a live-action Dragon Age thing, then I'd like Tom Ellis to play Dorian. Just imagine him with Dorian's 'stache. He's a dead ringer.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Admiral Ray posted:

I cannot stand that post Haven song. I always mute the game and alt-tab for a few minutes.

Yep, same. I can't stand singing in general, though.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

exquisite tea posted:

I guess your reaction to this scene depends a lot on whether or not you're into musicals. I watch musicals all the time so characters breaking out into song doesn't really bother me.

I loathe musicals. I think it's all of the Disney movies forced down my throat as a child. The only one I can stand is Mulan.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
People have become so used to the faux-accents that they think the real accents are fake. At least, when I see the most complaining about accents being wrong it's usually when the actor/ress is using their native accent.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I forget the Arishok even exists until I suddenly have to talk to him/kill him.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Taear posted:

It's meta but I'm saying that the choice is deliberately "Look how nice Harrowmont is" for ages and ages then "haha, it turns out he's poo poo, in your face!!".
There's no way you'd pick Bhelen from the information the game actively gives you.

I did. He always seemed like the best choice. Harrowmont was a conniving toad.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

John Dyne posted:

I can see that UNLESS you're a dwarf noble,

Yea, I always play has a human noble. I'm the guy who buys vanilla ice cream with no toppings at the ice-cream parlor.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Taear posted:

But he's a baddie to you. I get that he wants to smash the state but the game has him as the villain of the area. Why would you pick the villain?
I remember in the original thread loads of people getting to the end of the game having picked Harrowmont and being mad they needed to play through again to get a "perfect" ending. Since of course that's when we thought DA:O would get a proper sequel.

It's four years since inquisition came out in November this year. I can't quite wrap my head around that.

There had to have been something that shows him as not the villain, because I only play the Goodest of Good people in my games. I haven't played through that section in probably 6-ish years, so I can't remember, but there's no way there weren't hints as to him being the better choice.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I felt the romances in general were lacking in DA:I. I mean, there's only 2 straight male romances, if I remember correctly. Well, 1 viable one because who would want to romance Cassandra?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Crow Jane posted:

Are you that weird guy from Reddit with the long hair fetish and the hate-boner for SA?

https://www.reddit.com/r/warwithsomethingawful/comments/3adfs6/in_response_to_a_gossip_thread_on_somethingawful/

No?

Stroop There It Is posted:

everyone

Romances for straight male Inquisitor: Cassandra, Josie
Romances for gay male Inquisitor: Dorian, Bull
Romances for straight female Inquisitor: Blackwall, Bull, Cullen (human/elf only), Solas (elf only)
Romances for gay female Inquisitor: Sera, Josie

poor neglected straight guys, being treated like nearly everyone else
See, look. Female Inquisitor gets twice as many.

Is female inquisitor canon?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Taear posted:

A friend of mine was playing Inquisition (and I've said this before) and he didn't romance anyone. He didn't even know you could.
I wonder how many players go through not talking to every companion in the camp?

I did that in Jade Empire because I didn't know you had to speak to them, I thought it'd just happen like Baldurs Gate. It's sometimes strange how people that aren't reading about the game play it.

I talked to every member in DA:O and DA2. For some reason I couldn't be bothered to talk to most of my crew in DA:I. I guess I just didn't like most of them. I only spoke to Blackwall and Dorian, really (And Cullen, Josephine, and Leliana). Then after finishing the game I hear about these side quests, like Iron Bull and some boats or whatever.

Hell, I finished the game and completely forgot Cole even existed. Which is fitting, I guess.

To me, DA:I just had some of the least interesting companions of any of their games. At least in DA2 I got something for hating those characters.

Edit: I think the other part of it is to talk to all of your party members you have to run all around this giant gently caress off castle where in DA:O everyone was right there in camp.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

NikkolasKing posted:

There's also the fact he's a warrior, not a diplomat. Qunari society doesn't seem to encourage being the best at many things. All the qunari warriors we've seen have the social skills of robots. Sten is actually considered an oddball by qunari standards, being more open-minded than the rest.

So if Sten is more talkative and inquisitive than the average qunari warrior, that tells you something about how ill-equipped the Arishok was to deal with all this.

The qunari in Kirkwall are a brigade of soldiers on a search-and-capture mission who got stranded in a foreign land and now have to do less fighting and more diplomacy. It be hard for anyone, let alone a qunari.

Plus the Arishok just hates everybody, a sentiment I can more than understand. The qunari word for non-qunari is bas - things. In addition to having no social skills, he thinks everyone around him is a stupid animal. They can't understand his mission. (he outright says this to Hawke at one point)

Everything in this post is why the Qunari should be wiped from the face of Thedas. Kill every one you see.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Hopefully it's just because nobody knew they had a store, and thus they're dumping stock and closing because of that.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

CottonWolf posted:

I’m pretty sure they’ll have ripped the microtransactions out after the Battlefront debacle.

Hahahahahaaa

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Probably because UE3 was nearly a decade old and they wanted to incorporate new graphical capabilities into their games. UE4 didn't come out until just a year before the same year as Inquisition.

Sometimes, even though you have something that works, you have to get something newer if you want to do new stuff. Also, since Frostbyte is an in-house engine (I think?) that means no licensing fees.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I actually really like Andromeda. Not as much as the main trilogy, but I don't think it's really that bad. :shrug:

I mean, it had lots of bad stuff about it when it came out, but the later patches fixed a lot of the bad face stuff/animations. They even patched Peebee's gun so it was facing the right way around in that one cutscene.

This was never changed, though:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Or I can just leave him to die in his cage like the dirty Qunari he is.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I kind of feel like the Bhelen/Harrowmont is a badly done twist on the "Choose if the nice guy or ruthless guy becomes King" scenario.

Like, players who play as nice/paragon Wardens would choose Harrowmont because he's nice to you,

I played a completely paragon character and knew Harrowmont was no good. I chose Bhelen. This was without any outside information, so I don't think it's as opaque as people are making it out.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Seems kind of weird to want to do the romances without playing previous games. All that character development happens before 3. In fact, I don't even know who you'd start a romance with in the third game.

I think starting at 2 would be much better, since most of the characters first appear in that one.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Tali and Shepard live the rest of their days together in a little cabin on Rannoch after saving the Galaxy from the Reapers.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I thought the main writer guy had the whole plot with the Reapers and stuff in ME figured out, but then he left Bioware between 1 & 2 coming out and everything was changed by the new people/who was left. I seem to remember it had to do with stars dying or something, which is why it's briefly mentioned as a thing being studied in 2 offhandedly.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Dragon Age was the New poo poo, lest we forget.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Yea, honestly, the gameplay of Andromeda was by far the best part.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm surprised no one mentioned Tali. As much as I am for Tali + Shep, it's the most obvious one to me. Not able to be romanced in the first game, but then is in the next game due to fans complaining they couldn't romance her.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
According to the Mass Effect Wiki she was 22 in ME1.

"In 2183, she is on her Pilgrimage..." and "Tali was born in 2161 aboard the Rayya."

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I hope we can genocide all qunari like the filthy vermin they are.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

NikkolasKing posted:

2. Siding with Solas or the Qunari

I'd hate this because I hate them both so much.

Actually, I forgot Solas existed until the end suddenly happened. I literally never spoke to him past the beginning of the game. So he went from me not even registering he existed to hating him in one cutscene. Congratulations, I guess.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Generic American posted:

Which also hurts the second game quite a bit, despite being a vast improvement in almost every way. As someone who had to skip the first game, I bounced off of The Witcher II like six different times before I managed to latch on, because it felt like it never actually explained anything about Geralt's personal story beyond "is friends with Triss, wants to find someone named Yennifer(???), and is a freaky mutant monster hunter."

None of those issues would have been fixed if you had played the first game either. These games definitely assumed you'd read the books before.

On DA2: One of the things that taints it for me is the whole "giggle-squee" fiasco that happened before it came out. I can't play the game without this gnawing at the back of my mind every time.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Generic American posted:

I honestly never got why people were so fixated on that gigglesquee quote as some massive symptom of why Bioware has issues with its writing. So... one writer thinks that a character that someone else on the team wrote is endearing, and goes overboard with trying to use cutesy internet-speak while describing a friendly conversation? :shrug:

There was other stuff at the time. I remember David Gaider (I think that was his name) said some stuff around the same time as well that made a bunch of people cock their brows. It's been so long that I don't remember anymore. Some of it was about dwarfs, I think. That Merrill quote is just what everyone still remembers.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I always kill Anders because I hate him and his stupid name.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It's okay. Blizzard beat them to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I want to kill Solas and the Qunari.