Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm replaying dao and 2 during the quarantine and probably buying inquisition after.

What gender/race/class/origin should I pick? I wanna be someone else's character and just roll them hard.

Either Alienage Elf or Dwarf Casteless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Taear posted:

I do get that it's been restarted once but christ just some concept art to show since 2015 really is depressing.
I guess this does mean something will come out but at this point I can't believe the only company that's tried to eat bioware's lunch is Spiders of all people.

Surely someone could do a nice Bioware style RPG?
Try The Caldecott Caper and Calfree in Chains mods for Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Basically a pair of Bioware-style games, just not as long.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 7, 2020

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Tbh, this is a big part of my problem with Dragon Age. I just kind of want everyone to die. There is not a single group in Dragon Age I'm comfortable rooting for.

I'm comfortable rooting for the Avvar. I'm not sure how scalable their society is, and how it would change if their customs were adopted by larger populations, but they seem to have their poo poo figured out. Especially in their approach to mages and the supernatural.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

I mean, the templar dude from DAO was ready to kill every mage in the circle before the player showed up. And that dude was one of the better ones.

Most of the complexity comes if you actually play the Mage origin. If you come in as an outsider than mostly what you'll see is oppression and fear, and Templars who are either all in on the oppression or are deeply unhappy with their lives. The gilded part of the "gilded cage" is really only visible if you play through the Origin.

Wynne's stories of her baby being taken from her and the fate of her apprentice are the stuff of horror, and show the way she has adapted through Stockholm syndrome.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

macabresca posted:

I think Jowan is an interesting character because he's not malicious and genuinely tries his best but fails and literally makes everything worse. But also that makes him very frustrating.

Btw, what is his happy ending? I don't even remember

If you let him out of prison in Redcliffe, and tell him to go instead of trying to help, he can show up in a random map encounter after you start the Landsmeer. A group of refugees is being protected from Darkspawn by Jowan; the refugees call him a different name and talk about all the ways he has been helping them.

So if you keep giving the guy 2nd and 3rd chances, he can be a hero.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

This is why I'm surprised they so quickly and decisively shot down any notion of a Mass Effect-style Legendary Edition for Dragon Age, which feels to me like it would've been a pretty successful way to revive interest in the IP.

This literally boggles my mind. Why not do a remaster of the first two games based on the systems in Inquisition? DAO barely runs on modern machines, and DA2 had a troubled release the first time around; both look like excellent candidates for a Legendary Edition treatment. I just don't get it.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

I mean it's ok, but considering how much of dumbass Kevin Sorbo has turned into, I just don't think I'm gonna revisit it.

Only watch the first 1.5 seasons, and root for Tyr Anasazi.

That was my first online fandom. God I'm getting old.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I have been curious what wrong lessons the game industry takes from BG3 since one doubts 'proper time for a game to marinate' won't be one of the right ones to take.

Terminally ill protagonists, whose illnesses don't slow them down in the slightest. With Cyberpunk 2077 and BGIII both getting amazing press every single video game protagonist will have cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
DA2 definitely has the weakest combat out of trilogy in my opinion.

-Healing was every bit as necessary for long fights as in Origins, but the sources of healing were restricted to Anders, and Mage Hawke, or potions on long cooldowns. In Inquisition they added the Barrier and Guard systems to make healing less important.

-Because of the healing issue having a mage in the party was even more vital than in Origins, which cut back on party options. Inquisition was the only game in the series I really felt I could bring along whoever I wanted on any non-story mission.

-The endless waves of chaff dropping out of the sky. Every fight was easy if you ran your party back for a block so they would spawn in front of you instead of behind your mages, but it was a really obvious artifice that they couldn't bother to have enemies emerge from doorways or map edges like in Origins.

The thing I will give DA2 credit for is the willingness to have the story be about smaller stakes than the fate of the world. Unfortunately they undercut that by constantly talking up the Champion of Kirkwall as someone of world importance. I think a lot of games would benefit from smaller, more personal stakes instead of having the world be in peril every few years.