Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Skippy McPants posted:

I’d say that, historically, BioWare is pretty good at twists.

The Blackwall reveal is good because there’s no mitigating factors or softening the blow. You just have to exist in this new world where you know he did that horrible thing.

Edit: and man, that reminds me how loving awesome the judgement scenes in DAI are. For all it’s faults there is a lotta great stuff in that game.

Leiliana: I am glad Blackwall is here. Even if he is... not what I expected.

Good twists are ones where the clues are small enough that you ignore them or think they're just flavor the first time through but big enough that you think they're obvious and get some nice dramatic irony the second time through. I think both blackwall and solas (apparently there's still people just now discovering the game) qualifies.

Also I'm just now getting to the point where I need to pick a specialization and I can't decided between Artificer and Assassin for my Archer build. (I played Tempest DW before and am well aware of how bonkers it is. I've never done archer of any kind.) People always say Assassin is for Archers and Tempest is for Dual blades and ignore artificer entirely but someone way earlier off-handedly mentioned that Artificer Archer has the best DPS in the game with the right build. Can someone explain the two and how to be most effective with them more clearly for me?

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Played around with Cole and Varric and I think I'm going to go with artificer. Its a lot more fun to zip around the battlefield like spiderman than stay in one place and stealth all the time i think.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Grundulum posted:

My run with an Assassin character had me zipping all over the battlefield, entering stealth anywhere and everywhere, and coming out with a dual strike for thousands of crit damage. It was hella fun.

Yeah but I'm playing an archer not DW.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

I actually like most of the characters in this game.

I love Cassandra and Varric

Solas is super interesting for his world view.

Cole is very unique and cool.

The Iron Bull is the best take on the 'Strong party dude' trope in ages.

Dorian is somehow both cool and lovely which feels intentional, he's someone just escaping an abusive place and he's not fully ready to say 'yeah its rear end'

Blackwall's twist is cool but the rest of him is pretty boring.

The only companions I pointedly don't like are Vivienne and Sera, and even Sera becomes a lot more tolerable in Trespasser.

Sera's cool when she's hanging out with her best friend Blackwall. Otherwise she sucks.

Also I like how the banter reveals that Cassandra doesn't just love Swords and Shields but is an enormous fan of all of Varric's books. The dynamic they have going is probably my favorite relationship in the series

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Dorian feels like when you're criticizing Tevinter you're criticizing him specifically since hes tevinter and especially since he loves his home so he tends to get defensive or rationalize the lovely aspects of it. Its an extremely normal thing for a person to do and one of the things that makes him one of the best written characters in the game imo.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Okay Artificer Archer rules. I went from staying on the edge of battle in a high place with auto attack while the AI does all the actual fighting to every single battle being MAXIMUM CHAOS

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

DA Inquisition's my favorite in the series because Thedas is so grimdark, crappy and terrible and its the only one where I feel like I'm fighting to make it a better place

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Its cool that if you play a non-human race you can choose to go "What the gently caress is this Andrastian human bulshit you're trying to force on me", "The Maker is bullshit but I'll play into it in public for the authority it gives me" to just becoming a full-fledged Chantry lover but yeah even the aggresive bottom options as Inquisitor are just kind of rude.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

How many other people here have named their inquisitor Harold so all the voiced lines call your character by their name?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mustang posted:

Whats the opinion on using DAI mods? From what I've seen it sounds like they can easily cause issues and despite being the type to mod most of my games I'm not sure they're worth it for DAI.

6 years of patches later DAI's still buggy as hell when you play mod-free so

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Are there mods to give blackwalls beard to everyone?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

pentyne posted:

Not only all beards, but all SHINY beards from that weird graphics issue at med-low settings.

So with the entire franchise now up on Steam what if any are good mods for the games? DA:O has the remove the fade part, I don't think modding ever took off for 2, and it was a pain to get any mods working for DA:I so I only tried the one about more banter.

There's going to be a mod to create a beard-filled Thedas once I learn how to code.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

What the gently caress Solas? :stare:

Its cool everyone here can just tell where you are in the game from just this sentence.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Sinner Sandwich posted:

So with the Steam release, I just picked up Inquisition again. Any recommendations for the most thematically fitting and mechanically fun Inquisitor? I felt back in 2014 that with all the Solas stuff and the Dalish lore that came through him that the best move was to be an elf mage or rogue, but it looks like the thread disagrees.

Also playing a two handed warrior seems like it'll feel like a slow, plodding affair. Would a rogue be more fun, or should I be Andraste's chosen wizard?

Khizan posted:

I'm interested in this too, since I am trying to decide between Female Elf Rogue with the Solas romance, or Male X Rogue with the Cassandra romance. I considered Mage but since I want to take Solas everywhere and use Dorian a lot, I don't want to make the PC a mage as well.

The Solas Romance gets you a poo poo-ton of extra backstory which is why people recommend it. Elfs get quite a bit of race-specific dialogue too. The game's kind of designed to be replayed, what with the Golden Nug and with the fact that if you just jam through power or get an easy power mod there's only 6 actual main quests in the game, so don't stress about it too much. The most mechanically fun is I would say a rogue Archer with artificer specialization or a rogue dual wielder with a tempest specialization. Rogue is for dealing absurd amounts of damage, mage is for loving around with buffs/debuffs and other side effects, and Warrior is for tanking. Unless you really just love tanking you should probably leave that to the AI.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

drkeiscool posted:

... i'm having some difficulty understanding this post?

I believe hes referring to how Abrahamic religions treat God as a personal god rather than as an impersonal force. Its just confusingly worded.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

It turns out theres never been a good Dragon Age game. Guess we can close the thread now

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

"Hey Varric how's it going. Whoops looks like we just lost our caste because we came to the surface to see you. Thats a real problem since I'm the king. Well no point exploring this further later!"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Dragon Age 4's plot was entirely about how great police brutality and virulent pandemics were so now they have to completely start the development cycle over AGAIN.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Going to attempt to get DAO working on my computer for the first time in 6 years? What origin/class & specialization should I play as?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

If I do Dwarf noble should I do rogue or warrior?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

You do if you date Sera and break up with her :buddy:

e: I think you have to kick her out, too

Someone said you can do it if you date Solas too but I will never date Solas under any circumstances so thats pure hearsay.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Solas sucks, punching him rules, and I'm going to enjoy spending an entire game figuring out how to kick his loving rear end in Dragon Age 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNVLaHP5Ukw

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I forgot how terrible navigating interiors is in Origins. My party's probably going insane because I keep going back the way I came and stopping every 5 steps to look at a map.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Solas is extremely well-written because most stories have you hate the villain simply because they're opposed to the hero or they kick a puppy or something to show how bad they are. Not many think to make you want to beat the villain by just making them a pretentious twerp.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Dragon age 2 is on sale for $10. Is that low enough for me to have any fun if I play as sarcastic Hawke? What if I promise to only play while very drunk?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

yes friend. buy the game, always pick sarcasm, and always remember that anders did nothing wrong

:hmmyes: and what drinks would you recommend?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

DancingShade posted:

I think the outcome of Solas' armageddon plan (or restoration plan if you prefer) will depend on whether Bioware can turn their ship around and right the company before it's too late.

Time is more limited than before because EA's lootbox bonanza is getting the legal screws applied to it so the endless money tree won't be there forever.

Assuming the product hits the market then I'm assuming some sort of flashy screen filling VFX in the endgame. Really the ending to the first DA:Origins was perfect to me. If there is anyone left in Bioware who still frequents this dusty place, remake the tone and pacing of the first game. That's it.

Oh who am I kidding. The ME2 era was a long time ago.

If EA's lootbox bonanza gets hosed up by the feds then EA might have to actually stat investing in game development again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

"The Ferelden Wardens" are three dudes and Blights don't come in rapid succession.

They absolutely can though can't they? Its just darkspawn finding an old god and tainting it, theres no real rule on how long that will take them.

I know the wardens know where the last two old gods are and one of thems way the gently caress out in the Orlesian desert but hypothetically two blights could happen in a single persons lifetime