Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I never finished anything past Origins and all the games are on sale recently so I just started Awakening. It seems... not great

Alistair throwing a big tantrum in Origins: being a grey warden is an honor! I don’t care about the Blight! If you induct Loghain I quit!!
Alistair five minutes into Awakening: hey, do you wanna induct a sexual harassment timebomb and these criminals you just met? Go ahead dude, sounds good

I’m looking forward to giving DA2 another chance soon. My enduring memory of it is how incredibly mad I was that the Qunari mage you can rescue doesn’t become a companion, despite being cooler than every single one of my actual companions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

Strategic Tea posted:

I kinda think the announcement is a bad sign, in that how can you design a live service game and then just pivot it into a single player RPG?

I’m still convinced this is what happened with Inquisition, so...

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

In comparison to Inquisition I much prefer the direction they were going with 2. It was a really silly over-the-top game, but you got to click somewhere to go, do a short quest (and I didn’t care about the repeating levels because I just stare at the floor looking for loot in games anyway), chat to your entertaining companions and listen to them snipe at each other, then have a battle which involves enemies clumping up so I can use extremely satisfying AoE attacks on them. You feel like a sarcastic adventurer with a wacky group of friends and it’s fun enough to forgive the dumb plot. I’d be happy with the ‘more of the same’ stuff he wanted to add.

Inquisition is Fantasy Project Manager Simulator. Tell your coworkers to do stuff and hope they don’t gently caress it up. Sometimes take them out somewhere while they maintain a stony silence because they never fixed the banter problems. Everyone’s older and reasonably well-adjusted/professional so even if you completely change their life they’re like “eh, I’m a bit upset now but I’ll move on.” You get to smarm some important people. Occasionally get to do something cool but it just makes you regret the rest of the time you spent doing boring things. I already have a job!

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

I like Merrill because the rival way to behave towards her is horribly patronising but it still feels like that’s the least bad option. I enjoyed the feeling of cringing while picking a dialog option but knowing it was what I wanted to say anyway. You have to confront the question of what being a good friend to someone like Merrill looks like, and sometimes it looks like being an rear end in a top hat.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

The Qun test you to see where you fit in society and provide support for those struggling with their role. They don’t just go “welp, off to the sex slave parlour for you, death if you rebel” (not that the ‘sex slaves’ are sex slaves anyway - the tamassrans are priests, teachers, counsellors, genealogists, and occasionally sex workers). Wouldn’t it be comforting on some level to just be told “ok, society needs sewer workers, and your psychological and aptitude tests say you’re gonna do well at that work. This is guaranteed to be a non-bullshit job that’s regarded honourably in society, all your basic needs will be taken care of, and you have guaranteed support if you struggle because the Qunari never waste a life. Oh and you’re scheduled to have a baby next year but no biggie, a childcare expert will raise it” rather than having to plan your own life? I’d give it serious consideration tbh