Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Zane posted:

mother giselle &c: oh no the chantry. :cry: we need to preserve our lovely alt-catholic institutions to keep our lovely fantasy allegory of alt-medieval Europe in order

cory/solas: hell yea let's sunder all the barriers between dream and reality and have demons and immortals everywhere running around and poo poo :goshawk:

quoted for truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Besides, the Thedas has enough humans. Letting him stay a spirit makes the world richer and more interesting.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

John Dyne posted:

I played as a dwarf noble in DA:O and I really, really wanted to loving stab Bhelen in the face. I understand it's dwarf society to do that kinda poo poo but holy gently caress he killed his dad and older brother and framed the PC for it. That's some dick moves right there, man.

I picked Harrowmont only because he didn't try to frame me for the murder of my father and older brother.

It's pretty in character for a dwarf noble not to be mad that Bhelen did it, but did it first.

Orzammar's politics, even the brief amount we see, really put Orlais and ~The Game~ to shame.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The classic redemption story of repeatedly saving the life of a man who is practically begging for death, over and over again. Loghain Mac Tyr will live forever.

But I get to keep hearing Simon Templeman talk, so, worth it

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ulio posted:

I want to play DA:O again, I never played it on pc.

I was wondering. Did you guys normally pick Teyrn Loghain or Alistar? I had a save with both but I don't think I ever used Loghain that much.

Loghain all the way. His camp conversations alone are worth it.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

I am and there was not

There was that army of banshees

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Taear posted:

While I know that people somehow enjoyed DA2 it still baffles me that people want to save Hawke. I was so glad to get rid of her, like expunging DA2 from the record altogether.

Keeping Loghain alive was so surprising to me - the fact that the game even let you do it was absolutely mind blowing at the time.

I mean, Hawke has more charisma and personality in two voice actors than the Inquisitor does in all four of theirs.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I've never played a dwarf in a DA game. Maybe next time

They straight up have the best origins in Origins, but get zilch in Inquisition.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

PureRok posted:

Everything in this post is why the Qunari should be wiped from the face of Thedas. Kill every one you see.

Yeah, after seeing what they do to their mages in DA2, gently caress Qunari.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Look, I would listen to Simon Templeton read the phone book, so Loghain always gets to live

also, he's my warden's father-in-law, don't want to make thanksgiving awkward

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Zane posted:

varric has almost the least privilege. he comes from a genteel house but he seems to have made a lot of his own fortune as a sort of proto-bourgeois entrepreneur.

and then they make him the viscount at the end of trespasser

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

drkeiscool posted:

i hate having the largest functioning military apparatus in southern thedas, and not being able to make them take care of all the little errands i accrue through the game while i focus on important things

Or being able to do anything that’d a actually improve the world, like topple Orlais or give the elves a kingdom

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

babypolis posted:

ive replaying origins too and it holds up surprisingly well. Sure the graphics are a bit dated and theres some jankyness but the gameplay and writing are still pretty good

my favorite thing about the game that hasnt been replicated anywhere else is all the incidental quests and lore. like you go through the deep roads and find this bit of lore about an elf who fought for the dead legion and it becomes this neat little quest about finding his blade and placing it where the dude was buried. the game is filled with stuff like that and it makes exploration way more interesting

Yeah, I never really understood the Deep Roads hate. It's got all kinds of neat stuff down there, despite the admittedly very gross body horror

I'd still take it over the Hinterlands or any other DAI zone

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

The consequence is that you can't kill all the mages.

I would’ve liked the choice to purge the Templars, the clear moral option

That and invite Anders to blow up the Winter Palace

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

The only moral option in Thedas is clearly the destruction of all magic at the source. The disconnect in power between mages and normals is too high, and either leads to the normals (perhaps justifiably) oppressing the mages because they're too powerful, or the mages taking control like in Tevinter.

Basically, the Templars were right, but they didn't have enough vision.

If Tranquilizing everyone at birth or executing every kid that shows signs of magic appeals to you, that’s the “source”

The Templars only ever seem to exacerbate the problems they’re supposed to prevent, imo. Their terror tactics, threats, and prisons only make the Circle mages desperate and vulnerable in a way the societies that have respected places for mages (see Rivain, the Avvar, and the Dalish pre 3-only retcon) don’t. The solution is to train them while treating them like people

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

In DAO the dalish zone is entirely caused by a mage turned abomination. In DA2 you get a blood mage let loose by her dalish clan as a party member. Plus theres the whole remnants of a society ruled by mages presenting as gods thing.

They're... not exactly the poster child for mages should be free.

Merrill is the sanest, most careful blood mage in the series, and very much succeeds in fixing her eluvian, given encouragement and the chance. Her Keeper’s paranoia and underestimation of her causes the issues with that clan

Zathrian and the werewolves are a worse case, yes

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Most of the rivalries just seem more mean-spirited and gaslight-y than anything, especially the rivalry "romances"

I always rival Aveline and Sebastian though

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

babypolis posted:

Althought now that I think about it making the decorum obsessed status quo loving centrist lib the bad guy is surprisingly prescient...

don’t worry, by inquisition bioware is back to loving the status quo

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

The only political quest in DAI is Orlais. I never got the impression the game wanted us to pick any of the three candidates in particular.

They're all lovely in their own special way.

Everything about the Chantry is pretty inherently political, Cassandra and Gisselle rambling about faith aside. The entire game being about protecting and maintaining oppressive power structures with tiny, incremental reforms has really soured me on it.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Oberndorf posted:

Given Orlais is pretty much Bourbon France, I think they wanted to avoid a Revolution. Particularly given that almost everybody important or political wound up losing their head over it. Which would probably include the chief of the militant church organization mucking about in their turf.

Good, Elf Revolution now

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. Everything that happens in Chapter is explicitly because Hawke is champion. The two most powerful organizations in the city are trying to get you on their side to make the other back down. What else are you looking for? You can be a literal god in an Elder Scrolls game and the gameworld will barely acknowledge it. DA2 at least backs up its claims that it's about the Champion of Kirkwall.

They’re more the most desperate organizations in the city. The Circle doesn’t really have any power, which is part of the issue

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

If you want to be a warrior in DAO, the only way to not be a tank and have fun is to be a duel wielder- two swords. You mulch everything

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Or for a similar structure to the old games, a space pirate/merc game in the Terminus Systems

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Morrigan might be savvy enough to know that poking and prodding at the murder queen might be a bad choice

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

pentyne posted:

He's a literal terrorist in every worst way. He doesn't attack the Templars themselves or any hard target he plants a bomb to wipe out the people who try their best to do nice things in a broken system because it's easier. Bioware really hosed themselves trying to make him sympathetic especially since if you do his quest he uses you as a unwitting distraction in his mass murder and then gets all weepy eyed like "I had no choice" like what the gently caress man you are a walking WMD how can you not just wipe out some Templar base instead?

DA2 really poo poo the bed in a lot of ways, map re-use aside, but their dumbass "truth is in the middle" attempt at a story is narrative garbage as best and actively reinforcing the toxic mentality that both sides are valid in pro/anti genocide clash.

I mean, the Chantry hierarchy is probably the group most responsible for how terrible the world is

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Crying Leliana is a theme in Inquisition's concept art

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Kirkwall is a place mages, especially mages in large numbers, just shouldn’t be. Reality is leaking there, and yet the Chantry insists on maintaining the largest Circle in the region there (with the largest Templar garrison). Of course, the Chantry *might* have ulterior motives for maintaining an army in a big important port

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Half the party members in Inquisition are kinda insufferable really. Solas, Sera, Vivienne. Dorian is a little better but he also has a bit of a snobbish chip on his shoulder.

Just once I'd like a mage companion I'm happy to use. Bethany was temporary and Wynne was... eh, she's okay given her competition.

Kind of thought Bethany was the more boring of the Hawke siblings, and Wynne was the most insufferable mage, honestly

I like Solas, Vivienne and Dorian all being catty to each other though

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You get his gear back in a chest if you execute him

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Aveline is a cop in pretty much the worst way possible, yeah. And honestly, I’d take blood magic over blue lives matter any day

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Truecon420 posted:

Ohhh thanks for the heads up. Any idea what the quest for the second item is? I’ll check the wiki

Just don't do any sidequests in the city zone until you trigger the much better dwarf companion's quest there.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

No, you’ve got to do it so they can bring Simon Templeman back over and over

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Vichan posted:

Loghain's biggest problem is that he comes across as a saturday morning cartoon villain until the moment you put him in the party.

Yeah, his camp conversations are some of best in the game and probably the series.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, Silas always seemed easy to stay friendly with as long as you weren’t going maximum Templar boot-licker

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

It's why Vivienne actually ends up being the best Divine for the mage issue, actually- she's actually not as conservative as she likes to pretend to be (the real reactionary in the party is Cassandra). Vivienne's Circle remains a branch of the Chantry, but mostly as a legitimizing force for what looks very much looks like self-government. The Circle ending up looking something like the Colleges of Magic from Warhammer Fantasy is probably the best way for them to go, and that's basically what happens from what I remember from the slides

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, MurderPope is absolutely the most fun ending and the best one for all other people the Chantry has been loving over

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

No wonder Dorian thinks southern Thedas is full of yokels

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

She and Elthina also overthrew and murdered the previous Viscount for daring to tax Orlesians

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I like the idea of wiping the slate clean for the Chantry by wiping out all the pre-war Templars though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Templars being fanatics of a religion that hates the people they’re supposed to protect also can’t help