Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

marshmallow creep posted:

gently caress Bull, imo.

:liara:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
DA2 is great because Hawke can be such a sarcastic biting shitheel to everyone.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Oh my lord I got past the well of sorrow and the game still isn’t over.

And dammit I was waiting for Solas to jump up and try to use the well since someone told me he was the main bad guy but he didn’t even want it when I suggested he take it. At this point if he goes mustache twirling villain I think that takes the cake for most complicated and inefficient villain plan ever. Or maybe he isn’t the bad guy and people are loving with me? How many more major setpieces has this thing got??

Many many set pieces. Solas is a very chilled out character, I always appreciate that about him since he doesn't lose his head in tense situations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Yeah I have to remind myself to read this thread every time it just has two or three new posts

PS hi, I am the most ridiculous fan of this series: I got a tattoo about 18 months ago. On my calf; ignore the pores.

nice! Are you going to get any other colors?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Between Cassandra, Cora, and Morrigan, Bioware has conclusively demonstrated that they are very committed to Extremely Gay women having straight romances.

e; Also yeah I have no idea what they were thinking with the banter rarity. Yes, it's a huge game that takes an awful lot of time to play, but they actually put in enough banter for that not to matter.

I am not a game dev but maybe the open world bit interfered with that? DAO and 2 simply made use of check points but that might be tricky with open world maps? IDK, it's a possibility.

But the lack of banter is one of the reasons I'll never pick up DAI for PS4. There's no point if no one talks to each other.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What, makes them gay, exactly? They didn't trip my gaydar so I honestly don't know what you mean.

well you see...Cassandra has short hair.

That's the only justification I've seen, she has short hair so she must be butch.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I don't know how EA plans to ruin Dragon Age but I'm sure it'll be bad

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
If you want flow from the very start, put it on easy.

If you want a challenge, put it on hard.

If you want it to be annoying, put it on normal.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i am playing on easy. I am at the ball now. i am not really sure what to do. i assume the baddies are in the servents quarters.

I had to consult a walkthrough to get through the tedium of the ball, my memory is of gathering clues, reporting back to Leliana, and having to adhere to those time limits.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
DA2 is a good game if only because of how pissy gamers still are over it. Isn't DA2 the game that inspired the Open Letter from Straight White Males because Anders tries to pick up bro Hawke?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

snoremac posted:

DA:I: Why are party members unable to select potion from the action wheel during fights so often? I’m assuming because they’re in the middle of an action, in which case it stinks that it doesn’t just queue it.

Yeah its because they're usually in the middle of something. I usually just stick with them for the extra seconds and then have them use a potion.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Watching real people try to sing is bad enough, watching videogame characters stretch open their pixelated maws to hoot badly strung together lyrics? no thank you!!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Musicals are fine, I like musicals...when they're good. The Dawn Will Come is not good. Bad lyrics, the song was clearly made to fit into their theme song and feels totally inorganic, again the pixel people with their awkward faces, and then it disappears from the scene as quickly as it arrived. Nothing like a musical.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
DA2 battle system is infinitely superior to DAO, where in DAO it takes your character 15 minutes to swing a sword. DA2 combat flows very very well.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

Female city elf is probably my favourite start to a videogame ever.
Slaughtering your way out of your kidnapper's keep in a blood stained wedding dress is just so goddamn :black101:

I probably would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't the locus of terrible voice acting in the entire game. All the drama was deflated because I couldn't stop laughing at how stupid everyone sounded.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
ASOIFIFIFIFFOOIF is a hilariously bad set of books and television and Dragon Age did the right thing skimming off the top and mixing it up to create cheesy fun adventure stories where you can bang people and shoot fireballs.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

snoremac posted:

Looking at Wiki stuff post-game: why won’t Cullen date dwarves or qunari? I never came across any prejudice from him on that front.

He's not interested. Sexual preferences don't warrant explanation. (And also Bioware didn't have the time/budget to animate scenes for dwarves and qunari.)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

As far as I know he was also planned to be bisexual, but again, time issues.

Which is a shame, since I think I'd actually prefer dating him as a Male Inquisitor over Bull or Dorian for a 'canon' run.

yeah, there's an audio file floating around where he flirts with the mQuisitor, sigh. It would have been so nice :(

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Welcome to EA where their unrealistic profit expectations destroys good studios

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
didn't make a trillion dollars back from your game that had a bloated 10 billion dollar budget? CLOSED

make a brilliant first player star wars game that doesn't have a lottery attached? CLOSED

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I doubt development on DA4 is all that serious especially since EA decided to pull everyone onto Anthem. We certainly won't hear anything about it until Anthem is released.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
People wanted a sequel to DAO. No one wanted a sequel to ME3. DA2 wins.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

eating only apples posted:

What do mage Hawke and Bethany get? I played mage and can't remember a thing

nothing, they just hung out at Lothering waiting for Carver to come back

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

1) This was good fanfic

2) Ex-employees writing fanfic? We're through the singularity now

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Can EA just loving collapse already?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
So out of 20 years of games there’s only 1.5 examples of fanservice affecting romance options?

I always thought Cullen was one of the better written romances since it tied into the plot so well. the scene in the chapel still sticks with me.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Tali is a fairly violent adult that shoots people and takes on adult responsibilities like trying to protect her family and spaceship, those don’t scream “teenager” to me.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah trying to imagine a violent teenager here and it’s just really hard to even think it

I like how you deliberately ignored the “responsibility” part, but teens can have a hard time with responsibility so I guess I can understand why you did it

exquisite tea posted:

Tali's romance arc in ME2 pretty creepy because it comes off like Anime Senpai Shepard where she's presented as a teenager in whatever Quarian years are and we know Shepard is almost 30 at the time of ME2.

I never romanced Tali so I wouldn’t know, I just can’t imagine her being a teenager when she had such an adult manner and responsibilities weighing on her. She was quite chipper yes, but young adults are often chipper.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I think it’s interesting that the Qun and the Chantry both use brainwashing to control rebels.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
DA2 is good. Pick it up on sale, it’ll keep you busy for a few days.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
woke: da2 was a bad game

broke: da2 fans and incels is the same

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I am glad that we have figured out that liking DA2 and talking about its strong points is within the same exact same sphere as murdering several people with a vehicle because the manlet driver is angry he isn’t getting hosed

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Taear posted:

You know, the way things work in social situations - even ones that are only internet based - can be compared even if one is just about a game and one is about being a woman hating lunatic.
That's not saying they're the same, it's not saying that it has the same result. Just that it's created in the same manner.

The structures that lead to the conclusion work in the same way.

I’m not sure they’re being created the same way re: the echo chamber. I mean, even in this very thread the people who like DA2 are interacting with the people who don’t like it and we’re both reading those opinions. I’ve noticed it plays out in similar ways in other parts of the internet where DA2 comes up.

The only place I can think of that would have been significantly hug-boxy would be the Bioware forums and those are defunct now. People still manage to talk about DA2 in other places and still see a variety of opinions. The whole problem with incels on the other hand is that they can’t handle other opinions, that’s why they run away from every encounter.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Taear posted:

In the past everyone hated DA2 with the possible exception of Pick. The thread was pages of "Wow this is bad" with Pick liking it.
Now it's sort of moved the other way, where the overarching opinion is more of a "I enjoyed it, even though it wasn't great".

It's not about the ONLY voices, more how the community/fandom/whatever has moved and changed and which voices are louder there.

Yeah but I’m still missing the connection to incels. There are still many dissenting opinions and we are still interacting in a more or less civil fashion when discussing our disparate opinions. That’s the opposite of an echo chamber and it’s also the opposite of the incel experience.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Incels reinforce their messed up opinions because they’ve isolated themselves from normal people who will tell them they are wrongs and their ideas are poo poo.

Eventually they are so cemented in their messed up worldview that they act out in horrible ways like mass shootings and van rundowns, not to mention a variety of lesser ways like doxxing and online harassment.

I’m not saying it’s anywhere the same level but things like “saying DA2 is good” or even worse, “recommending DA2 to someone” are heinous acts that come from the same pattern of circumstances.

I can’t imagine being so hung up on a video game that I would call recommending one to someone would be compared to mass murder with a vehicle and justifying it with “it’s not quite as bad buuuuuuuuuuuuuut”

especially since absolutely none of you have been able to prove that the echo chamber hugbox that enforces incel delusions is remotely the same as internet spaces where “da2 is good” vs “da2 is bad” are regularly argued and discussed which means both opposing viewpoints are challenged and debated as mental exercise.

I think y’all are really loving bad at this lmao

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Taear posted:

The incel experience was people getting together to discuss not having a girlfriend. Or at least - being lonely.
Slowly that grew into getting mad about being lonely and the few voices that supported that already got more prominent and more important, with the people who didn't think that slowly sloughing away (often to go to other right wing things) until the core was women hating and the name was born.

Dragon age had a big thriving community that mostly liked the first game and the third game and hated 2.
As fewer things came out and news dried up the people left behind were usually already more positive about DA2 and they've also pushed the "small scale" idea. Now the usual consensus is that DA2 was flawed but overall was good. The people who properly hated it have moved on and the strong core has changed what the community thought.

I mean they're not identical but the change has happened in the same way. It's never been a hugbox but neither side were ever hugboxes. It's more about the idea changing over time even when the opinions of the people didn't - the framing is what's different.

so what I’m getting out of this is that you’re saying that when a community changes their opinions over time, regardless of reasons why, that means they are comparable to incels?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
me driving around town running over women in my 1992 Honda with MGTOW IS FREEDOM spraypainted on the side: DRAGON AGE 2 DEMONSTRATES THE OPPRESSION OF MEN UNDER AN MATRIARCHAL REGIME, JOIN MY PATREON TO SEE MY EARLY VIDEOS ABOUT HOW MERRILL IS THE BEST DRAGON AGE 2 ROMANCE FOR THE RED PILLED GAMER

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Taear posted:

I'm sorry that the scale of things makes it impossible for you to compare them in your head I guess.

it was a joke dude :/ sorry if it hurt you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yikes. The fact that you’re framing things like there’s an actual “DA2 is good” vs “DA2 is bad” argument basically proves my point.

There is no “DA2 is good” argument and even if you disagree there, it’s not something that “regularly discussed.” DA2 being good is discussed by folks trapped in an echo chamber of BioWare apologists who can’t bring themselves to admit they were wrong and were served a half baked and rushed pile of incoherent and unfun trash.

It’s okay to admit that your favorite studio made a really bad game, and hell, feel free to blame EA and not BioWare.

Part of the problem with Incel types is no one challenges them with reality until it’s too late, people just coddle them thinking they are misguided and harmless.

Note I don’t actually mean you guys are Incels. I’m just saying you are in an analogous situation to Incels. I’m not even bringing up that most of the “DA2 is good” folks enjoy the relationship substitute aspect of the role playing experience.

you don’t read this thread much do you