Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I am praying that after DA4 we'll finally get Jade Empire 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think the weirdest morality thing in Origins are the ending slides between Belen and the old dude in Orzimmar, maybe I never pay enough attention because I spend that entire part of the game thinking about what a slog the deep roads are but I dont think Harrowmont (remembered his name just know because the voice of the Orzimmar town criers are burned into my brain) is portrayed as being such a rigid and dickheades traditionalist?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
DA4 will fail and everyone from SWTOR will come together to make Jade Empire 2, inshallah

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Eimi posted:

It is very funny to see that and then compare it to that horrible Marilyn Manson trailer for DAO.

Horrible...?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
No, I dont think anyone mentioned Leliana

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I feel like playing DA:O first really fucks up the choices I make in the other games because I always just uncritically support the Grey Wardens cause hey, my fondest memories are of playing a Grey Warden and tramping around the countryside

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

NikkolasKing posted:

All part of the Glorious Strategist's plan

Sun Li

SoLas

What, I gotta spell it out for ya...?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Dragon Age 4 will, God willing, fail and Bioware will be forced to resurrect one of their original IPs, which will be Jade Empire, and we will finally get Jade Empire 2.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I bought it at launch and played it until I realized a dungeon I was in was copied. And then I googled if that was common and it was and put DA2 down and never picked it up again.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I kicked her out of the inquisition when she couldnt pronounce Corypheus' name because she was much too silly to be in my weirdo religious paramilitary cult

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Does anyone else feel like the first DA game, and to a lesser extent all rpgs, that one plays will affect their decisions in a meta way? Like, I played DA:O at launch and have always loved it so in all the DA games I just support the Gray Wardens and the Ferelden dog lords unconditionally and with inherent bias.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I wish the prothean beacon made Shepard extremely insane instead of the only manifestation of that being ranting that you know the Turian space-CIA agent is working for machine gods with your only source being, "It came to me in a dream."

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
skip deeproads

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Some people also just genuinely enjoy it I think. That and the mount collection stuff scratches an itch for people. Personally, I can only stand that stuff in an MMO where you're basically doing it in a chatroom

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think about this image a lot

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Torrannor posted:

Michael Moorcock, the symbol for Chaos Undivided is lifted straight from his Eternal Champion books, which is mostly about the big conflict between order and chaos.

The symbol for Chaos Undivided and the concept of the Eightfold Path are in fact lifted from Buddhist sutras... but made completelt sick n twisted 😈

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

NikkolasKing posted:

Lotta folks complain about the damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with the guy asking for a handout, but I was a lot angrier with the Jedi Master stuff.

If you spare them, they reward you by attacking you and trying to strip you of the Force again. Kreia shows up, saves you, and kills them all.
If you kill the Jedi Masters when you find them and thus never get this scene, what happens instead is Kreia is angrier with you than she ever is at any other point in the game. enouncing you a supreme failure and disappointment.

I killed them in my one and only run. Kreia made me feel bad for it but knowing what happens if you don't, I'm like "gently caress it." I understand her reasoning - she wanted to be validated and prove to the Jedi she wasn't wrong, but it still sucks.

I mean, you do sort of just completely destroy the validation of her life's work among what's left of her peers if you do that

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

NikkolasKing posted:

They're going to betray me for saving their useless lives. Again.

I don't care about her life's work, they deserve to die.

You've failed to learn the lessons of both your masters, the jedi order or darth traya......

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

NikkolasKing posted:

"Only" 2 hours. That's never something that should be said about a lovely part of a video game.

I recall KOTOR II having better dark side and light side options than the first game. Like, significantly better. Yes you can still randomly kill people for no good reason but even if you try to pull poo poo like that, Kreia will tear into you. So you got good guy options, more morally ambiguous or at least rational evil options, and then puppykicking to round things out. KOTOR 1 was just puppykicking or boy scout.

Also KOTOR 1 is painfully simplistic but BW clearly got a lot better later on. See the games this thread is supposed to be about. Except in DAI which offers no moral choices of any real value outside of choosing the ruler of Orlais.

I beat KOTOR 1 recently and said something mean to Bastila when I killed her which made me dark side and locked me out of the robes I was wearing and meant I couldn'r beat Malak. I then reloaded and said something completely neutral to Bastila when I killed her and I guess it was just a-okay cause it didnt shift my alignment at all lmao

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Being evil in rpgs is cool if you aren't like, pointlessly and pettily cruel. Like Sauron doesnt go around just being rude to random beggars for asking for money. tbh that's what I sorta really like about Inquisition, you can make your inquisition a pretty evil overlordy type organization. Or with DAO, even though there are pointlessly cruel options, you can also just be sorta evil and motivated entirely by self-interest with how you use the treaties to just get a bunch of people on-board who are good at killing Darkspawn without caring how the world turns out afterwards. IMO playing like that also makes the hate the Grey Wardens get make more sense in universe as well

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm a big fan of city elf because you only get access to the alienage again in the mid game so it feels like a more well-placed return than the other origins

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You die as a hero killing the Archdemon as any proper warden should.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
DA:O City Elf ftw. Stabbin' shems', killin' gens', collectin' gems.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think people were talking about how the stakes and centeringnof importance on the protagonist in Bioware stories feels really hacky, but tbh that's part of what I love about Origins and 2. In Origins yeah you're a Grey Warden, but it feels like any other dude besides Alistair could basically do what youre doing; like if Duncan survived you'd basically just be his party member. And in 2 youre basically just a new money refugee mercy to the whims of the established powers in Kirkwall

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

cams posted:

love when people who have no involvement with creating video games give their thoughts and criticism on the process. always super fruitful and valuable feedback.

"making another dragon age is actually very easy" lmao

All's I'm sayin is that Kotor 2 and Fallout New Vegas were made in a year and Dreadwolf still has no gameplay

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Skippy McPants posted:

Eh? Both those games built upon existing engines and both were also broken as gently caress at release, in large part due to their rushed development schedules.

Like, obviously, we have enough reporting to know that DA4 is going through development hell, but you picked two of the worst counter examples conceivable.

They have the cobbled together frostbite engine right there...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The DA:I mounts felt like something from an MMO, which is sort of a tired critique of that game. But having a bajillion cosmetic mounts that all feel the same is some WOW level poo poo

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The dodging and active abilities actually look dope to me, especially if this is the base theyre using while so far behind so it'll take 4 more years of dev time to make 😎👍

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm glad this game is going to be an action game and wildly successful to act as a blueprint of Jade Empire 2

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I cant wait for the post-mortem youtube essays on this game

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Promethium posted:

I feel most people would agree Corypheus was a better fight in DA2 than in Inquisition.

I do appreciate that they've stuck with RTWP even though it's more niche than turn-based. What I don't understand is why BioWare felt the need to reinvent the combat system in every iteration, and even in the limited details about DA4 it looked like they spent a lot of effort doing that yet again. Why not just take a system that was acceptable and improve on it from player feedback.

Cause when you press a button —something awesome has to happen

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
gently caress apostates

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

DrManiac posted:

Also how many mandates from management do you think dread wolf got post baldur's gate 3? How many penis types will bioware add?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The mages as an oppressed minority allegory would work better if the mage country didnt exist and was a slave holding land of boundless.cruelty

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I dont like Varric so of course I stuck the random guy from a dead city in the Fade instead of a hero Warden

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
DA:I proves Loghain right, gently caress Orlesians. Dog Lord 4eva

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
tbh, idk if Cailan wouldve won even with Loghain's men. Doesnt Duncan think like "This is a really bad idea but we gotta be here just in case the archdemon shows up"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s amazing that people still stick by Loghain Was Right in spite of all evidence.

Getting drunk on memes fucks up perspective something fierce huh.

“Ah yes, perfidious conniving Orlais our king is doing the usual thing to discourage wars of conquest by building diplomatic and/or marriage ties. We must check their influence by throwing an enormous chunk of our army to their deaths against the monsters made of genocide and then do nothing while they burn the country to the ground!”

Like come the gently caress on lol, you really think you’re better able to resist Orlesian conquest after deleting half your army, causing a succession crisis and fights the Darkspawn in your capital? Is that what strength looks like? Wild.

I would also be sceptical of the claims of the blood magic monks who randomly kill their aspirants to deal with a crisis no one has seen in 300 years saying you need the guys who ruled your country as a colony like 15 years ago

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also if not for player intervention there straight up wouldnt have been a civil war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If Cailan waited to actually gather the army of Ferelden instead of just his own retainers and like.... his uncle and a random monk Ostagar wouldnt have happened like that...