Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Or being able to do anything that’d a actually improve the world, like topple Orlais or give the elves a kingdom

I always resolve the Chateau quest by allowing the empress to die with the new emperor as a puppet of the Elven spymaster. It'll probably be negated in the sequel but it's still nice to read that Alienage walls are being torn down. :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

Yep! Witcher 1! loving love it! I don’t even whine about the chapter 2-3 swamps like folks do.

I loved the brickmakers' village you run into, the Witcher games really nailed the medieval vibe with things like that.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve been a proponent of DA2 for the life of this thread and previous DA threads so I’ll say it again: DA2 does a lot of poo poo wrong but it does more right and I greatly enjoyed playing it. I’ve clocked four complete play through and over 200 hours in the game and I still find it much less tedious than DA:Origins. Origins is good but having come out two years after The Witcher, it’s “grim dark fantasy” shtick was just LoTR covered in blood.

I loved the friendship/rivalry system because it allowed you to disagree with your companions' respective philosophies while still befriending them in a sense.

The fact that it allowed you to have Anders stick around for the final chapter as a broken shell of a man even if you stick with the templars was worth the price of the game alone.

I couldn't justify sticking with the mages after my first playthrough though. The templars were 100% right.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

PetraCore posted:

I think the non-mage serial killer was supposed to be a nod at 'LOOK, NOT ALL OUR CRAZED VILLAINS ARE MAGES', but the way it's set up made me think the point was that he was a mage who hadn't been trained, so that sort of flopped

Finding out that the head mage guy (who was really the most levelheaded guy in Kirkwall after the Chantry leader) was in correspondence with said serial killer was just another kick in the balls as far as siding with the mages went.

At least when I picked templar I could choose to spare certain mages from execution. Aside from Bethany and maybe a couple of extremely minor characters I think every mage eventually turns to blood magic, although I might be misremembering that.

I get your points though, I guess it just frustrated me to no end when I played it. I should've been open to the possibility that that was intentional.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Taear posted:

DA2 feels like a game written by a small group of eurodevs that have never made anything else, or anything good. Like Spiders.

Interesting comparison, Greedfall also copy-pasted environments although it isn't as bad as DA2.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, one of my favorite bits of replaying dao was hitting the Notes of Arl Foreshadow from the easter egg in the library summoning and realizing it's literally foreshadowing for a bunch of dai stuff.

In a similar vein the first Baldur's Gate had you encounter Lord Foreshadow who not only talked about the sequel being based in Athkathla but also talking about Neverwinter Nights:

quote:

"Well, don't you just add to the local color? Quite the smashing bit of dress you wear there. I'll have to look into such sundries when I next attend one of Lord Ribald's full dress costume affairs. I'd be the talk of Neverwinter, I would."

1:-Am I to understand that you are from that faraway city?

Oh, I actually hail from Waterdeep. The great City of Splendors has much more in the manner of social luxuries suited towards my particular tastes. I do, however, make a point of keeping in touch with Neverwinter, though I have only visited once previously. It was quite popular in those nights, if I recall correctly. I'm going to make a second trip in the coming year, and I'll wager it will be as popular again.

2:-Bah! I have heard of such a city, but I have my doubts as to whether it even exists!

Perhaps not yet, but soon.

3:-I am unconcerned with such things. Do you have any information about the area south of here?

I suppose you are asking of the immediate south, such as Nashkel and its mines? Unfortunately, no, I have spent no time there. I have busied myself with destinations more distant and have traveled to the great city of Athkatla on one occasion or another. You should really consider visiting there sometimes. 'Tis likely to be very popular in the future. None of this helps you now, of course. Cheerio.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I've always liked DA2. It does more right than it does wrong, but it was also, I think, Bioware's first game after a streak of successes where folks went "holy poo poo this is a lazy cash-in".

I remember an interview with the composer where he answered a question with 'I was surprised to be called back so soon after the first game' and that was the first warning sign for me. The game would have really benefited from a year or more of development time.

It certainly wasn't 'The RPG of the 21st century/decade so far' that I vaguely remember one reviewer exclaiming.

EDIT: On another note I really loving hated red lyrium as a plot point and felt that DA:I further solidified that hatred.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

I like the scale of DA:O and the multiple origin stories. The combat was... OKAY. I liked the world building a ton.

I'm still bummed that they cut the human commoner origin.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

one of BioWare's problems is that they did the popular sitcom thing where they lean into the lolrandom stuff so hard that the characters cease being characters and become joke delivery machines

so you have Alistair saying "swooping is BAD" once in DA:O (lame but OK, fine) and subsequent characters doing the same type of smug winking to the camera multiple times in the same scene by ME:A. They can write cool stories and interesting character moments but whoever their editor is needs to be a thousand times more ruthless.

"Have you guys seen Garrus? I need to talk to h-"

"CALIBRATIONS AMIRITE!?"

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

pentyne posted:

BG1/2 is also jammed packed with cultural references and inside jokes but they aren't shoved down your face by the main cast as they mug for the camera. It's stuff you find as you progress and explore and is a nice easter egg (the whole idea being you find a 'hidden' secret)

When Siege of Dragonspear came out there's a VA line where a evil character semi quotes Rorschach from Watchmen, and gamers ranted about "ruined immersion".

People then pointed out in BG1/2 they had tons of pop cultures references, from NPCs with certain names, to item names, to in game items (BG2 has a Blair Witch-esque thing in some books you find) and actual voiced quotes from famous franchises.

The tone then switched to gamer fury over a "trans" NPC.

People also felt personally attacked by Minsc's "It's all about ethics in heroic adventuring!" line that the vast majority of people playing probably never even saw and I can't fathom why anyone could take Gamergate seriously after that.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Nephthys posted:

I feel like you're forgetting Sera

I wish I could. :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I'm replaying DA2 and just finished the Deep Road expedition on my lunch break. I had no idea that Carver could become a loving Grey Warden! Does that ever come up later?

Carver looks loving amazing in Grey Warden attire One of my favourite characters.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Walrus Pete posted:

Carver is a gigantic piece of poo poo, actually.

That's exactly why he's my favourite character.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Khizan posted:

ME2 was all about the characters and their side missions. That's why people love it. Mordin's role in the genophage, Garrus' revenge, Jacob finding his father, etc. That's the good stuff. The main story sucks and nobody denies that.

The genophage plot is awesome in all three games.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

I just got to Skyhold and goddamn I forgot how big this game is.

I've always wondered how you're supposed to enter Skyhold in the first place.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

It's a pity Jowan was cut as a party member, I really liked him. :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Yeah theres a huge tonal issue in Dragon Age because the writers loved Joss Whedon quipping and also GRRM dark and gritty and it turns out those do NOT blend very well

I still don't get why they tried to make 'swooping is bad' a thing.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Alistair went from "kind of annoying but a fine companion" to "whiny punk bitch" in my eyes when he stormed off, potentially dooming Fereldan, just because I spared Loghain.

Sparing Loghain while keeping Alistair as king is still the best ending in my book.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

Aveline is cool and a good friend.

She sure is. :allears:

resting mitch face posted:

Aveline was gross to Isabella.

She sure was. :allears:

(I didn't care for Isabella as a character, my apologies if it was a reference to something specific)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Fruits of the sea posted:

FFS, DA2's "french" accents are just horrible.

Inquisition's accents put Allo Allo to shame at times.

Walrus Pete posted:

That's because Carver is an enormous piece of poo poo who instead of getting a job would rather join up with the fascists whose purpose is to brutally oppress people like both of his siblings.

That's why you should bring him to the deep roads. Warden Carver is amazing.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Pretty much this. My best playthrough was the city elf "bloody bride" character who wanted revenge against all humans.

Makes the return to the alienage with the slavers extra spicey.

My Inquisition playthrough was pretty much 'give the elves their due at the expense of everything else' and I was surprised how often the game let me indulge in that. Especially when it came to Orlais.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Sankara posted:

Your character's opinion on Duncan really depends on the origin.

Human Noble: gently caress you, dude. holy poo poo. holy poo poo. i hate you

Poor Ser Gilmore sacrifices his life and his future as a warden to get you out only for Duncan to go 'Eh, to be perfectly honest I wanted to recruit you instead of that dude.'

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Raygereio posted:

Not really? In game Harrowmont and his followers are presented as the honorable "good" group, while Bhelen's group are the evil, scheming bastards. Even in the cutscene when you first enter Orzammar, it's one of Bhelen's guys who murders a Harrowmont supporter.
The stuff about Bhelen wanting to change the status quo is kind of there, but I recall it being hidden in dialogues where you ask random dwarves who they support. It's easy to miss.

I love how Bhelen treats the casteless origin compared to Harrowmont. You can also sort of make amends with him if you went with the noble origin.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Loghain's fears that Cailan would make common cause with Orlais is also confirmed when you return to Ostagar.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Loghain's biggest problem is that he comes across as a saturday morning cartoon villain until the moment you put him in the party.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Every time I see a screenshot of Baldur's Gate I'm tempted to reinstall. drat you ilitarist! :saddowns:

EDIT: Speaking of Spiderweb games I'm really excited for the Geneforge remaster that's coming out soon.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 28, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

People who let Hawke die are mean people. :colbert:

When you have to pick between Hawke and whoever your warden is the Hawke dialogue prompt makes him dying much more ambiguous.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Keep Loghain alive against his will at all costs.

I swear I will let half of Thedas die before Loghain just to spite him.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Eimi posted:

I loathe the entire asari race for that reason as their inclusion is basically just for titillation and so it isn't "actually" gay.

I loathed the scene in ME2 where its implied that every race sees their ideal sexual object in the Asari because of pheromones.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

garrus: ok lemme look up how that works when im not doing calibrations

Not ME2 related but I hate how ME3 completely leaned into the in-jokes to a ludicrous extent.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I wish ME3 had stuck to the original script, that would've been so much better.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Beefstew posted:

Which one?

The one in which Element Zero and black holes played a role in the Reapers' motivations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

All I know about andromeda is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igxLpVN50Ro

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I agree regarding the times missions. I feel any mods to skip the timer are kinda pointless. The poo poo resolves itself while you’re not playing, and I think that’s awesome.

There was one timed mission that took like two full days but other than that I never really had a problem with it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Torrannor posted:

At least with ME both getting a remaster and a new game, I'm pretty confident that we'll get DA4.

I just hope the rumours of it becoming a 'Game as a Service' are false.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Torrannor posted:

For nostalgia's sake I rewatched some scenes from Inquisition, and man, if you played a female elf who romanced Solas, the confrontation in Trespasser is really emotional.

My second playthrough was as a female elf who romanced Solas and I definitely consider it the 'best' way to play.

EDIT: Did Bioware fix the banter bug already?

Vichan fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 19, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh yeah, Oghren exists.... God he's the worst companion in DAO by leaps and bounds, just utterly forgettable.

He even manages to be forgettable in Awakening which didn't exactly have the best cast of characters.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I always liked Sigrun, definitely my favourite Awakenings party member.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Rookersh posted:

Oh I'm the same way, Hawke exists to die for the world state, and their whole life was a shame.

I just know a lot of people value their Hawke.

Like Alistair or Hawke? Sorry Hawke. Loghain or Hawke? SORRY HAWKE. Stroud or Hawke? AGAIN THE WARDENS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THEN YOU. GOODBYE HAWKE. YOU hosed EVERYTING UP AND NOW DIE TO SAVE THE WORLD. THANK.

Not to mention that Hawke's choice is way more ambiguous, I think it even has a question mark at the end. (Hawke dies....?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Fruits of the sea posted:

Apparently an ex-Blizzard guy is taking over the project instead.

Yeah that can't be good news for DA4.