Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Shugojin posted:

The fun part is that it's kind of always there when you go back through, but most people are trained to write him off as a standard aloof kind of smug wizard type so they miss it the first time (I did)

Similarly, talking to Blackwall on a second playthrough is illuminating

"Hey Blackwall, why do you need a Grey Warden to kill an archdemon? Is it the sword?"

"Well ... many Warden swords are made of ... silverite?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

"How does a boy become a spirit?"

"I don't know. How does a Warden become grey?"

"Wardens! You may not know me, but you know my name!"

My dude Blackwall is a smooth talker

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Oh my god Is that really a thing in the game? It's been years and I never saw that

here's the thing: you gotta take Bull and Dorian in your party enough so that their banter progresses to the point where they discuss hooking up. If you don't, they never do -- and this was a game that had a bug where party banter didn't trigger for quite some time, so a lot of players never had it happen.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Did you get this dialogue option in Trespasser? It always makes me laugh because of how wounded he looks when you say it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9MVLhhww0s

I'm not sure the exact conditions on it. I think you have to basically not ever ask him questions.

e: Solas is my favorite party member but he's definitely a bit of a prick if you disagree with him.

Man, the animation on his reaction is approx. 10 million times better than anything in Andromeda

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

An unlikeable jerk of a protagonist and a world I feel no compelling desire to save would be other reasons I have no desire to play Witcher 3. I've seen enough of it on youtube.

I would 100 percent give it a shot. Geralt is only a jerk if you want him to be and you're saving individuals more than a world

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Stroop There It Is posted:

Something I can't name about the Witcher games strikes me as like... alienatingly from a hetero male POV, and not just because the protagonist is one. That, my desire to create and play my own character, and Geralt being painfully boring to me have prevented me from getting into it, even though so many people say 3 is one of the best games of all time.

I get that and thought I wouldn't like it 'cause I'm all about making my own character but it really is that good. every quest has something cool going on, they take all kinds of weird contingencies into account, the cities and towns feel alive. it's just the bee's knees

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the best way to make sure Witcher 3 lives up to the hype is to play it IMMEDIATELY after a hundred-percent completion run on Mass Effect: Andromeda

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I remember Dead Ram Grove in the Hinterlands being really pretty, so much so that I was like "huh, this is a good spot for like a vacation home"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

snoremac posted:

That said, after seeing all the shade it gets I’m pleasantly surprised. The Hinterlands look beautiful and seem carefully crafted rather than procedurally generated. The combat is engaging, if not as tactical as Origins’. That Orlesian marketplace is exquisite to stroll through. I could see the quest scatter getting tiresome eventually, but 14 hours in I’m enjoying seeking things out.

DAI has issues but it is a game with a million times more heart than Andromeda

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
The Dawn Will Come scene owns hard, only singing scene in a video game I liked up until Witcher 3 and Priscilla

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Nichael posted:

I like the earnestness and interactions of the party members in Bioware RPGs. It doesn't bother me that the cast breaks into song like once a game, especially when the moment called for it, like it did in that instance.

if you're not playing Bioware RPGs for earnest cheesy party members then idk, you know?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It’s weird how Leliana’s VA can apparently really sing yet they went with that weird out of place dub for her bit in the first game.

There was a sizable contingent of people who were all on Leliana's VA for having a fake French accent when she's from, like, actual Paris

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

snoremac posted:

Breath of the Wild was quite inspired by Hissing Wastes hey.

It’s a credit to how well crafted the zones are that there are three desert areas that are each distinct. I really dig HW’s aesthetic.

meanwhile Andromeda has two desert planets (plus an ice desert planet) and they all feel the same

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

snoremac posted:

I haven’t played Trespasser yet but that ending is fascinating from a lore perspective but an underwhelming conclusion to the story. You don’t get the sense that the Inquisition’s gathered strength really matters in the final battle, and Corypheus is a one-note chump and not much of a fight (and rendered less of a big deal when the Stone Cold Steve Austin of Dragon Age suddenly shows up and steals his thunder). It’s sad there’s no character epilogues for the party too.

You get 'em in Trespasser, The Real Ending

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Crotch posted:

My main complaint about the Keep is that sometimes it asks me questions about what happened to some fuckin' nobody from a game I haven't played in years without giving me any supporting information to help jog my memory. Who the gently caress was Keran?

AND AND AND sometimes they straight-up ignore it! Like hey, I put Bella in charge of the dang tavern in Redcliffe, if you're gonna track that then where is Bella's tavern in DA:I Redcliffe eh?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Nichael posted:

Pretty certain you're never in that part of Redcliffe in Inquistion.

Yeah and that's lame! I wanna see how the place changed in the past 10 years or so.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
gosh I really would like to see a good Dragon Age 4 and that does not make me optimistic!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

I mean, the gifs didn't help but if the game wasn't an empty slog with zero heart or courage they would've been a speed bump

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
yeah DA2 is not a good game but it has an actual heart to it and your relationships with your party can be p. varied

ME:A is hollow all the way through

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Raygereio posted:

On the other hand Ashley also compared alien species to animals once or twice.

I think that quote was actually a bug that was supposed to only trigger when she saw a Keeper? But it's still a lil problematic, Ash!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

A game that allows you to spare the life of a monster alien queen in 1 and doesn’t follow up with a cutscene of her and her huge new brood of aliens kicking rear end in 3 is a failure of a game. For all of MEs horseshit that is one thing that sticks with me as a disappointment.

Actually the funniest thing about Mass Effect 3 is how the payoff for sparing the Rachni queen is 100 war assets from *helping to build the Crucible*

expectation: thousands of angry rachni boiling up out of the ground to drag a Reaper underground, paving the way for Shepard to do a thing

reality: "thanks for saving us or whatever" *exits narrative*

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Not really. As far as I am aware, only Bioware allows that level of fan pandering to dictate the development of the game. There is no other major RPG series that does that stuff.

the greatest investment BioWare could ever make for future ME/DA games is to hire a group of ruthless editors

their writers have plenty of great ideas but they need to be reined in significantly with the fanservice/too clever by half stuff

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Torrannor posted:

I don't know, I'm pretty sure that Obsidian for example based their decision who would return from PoE 1 in PoE 2 at least partly on the popularity of game 1 characters.

pallegina romance when

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Dragon Age is all about bringing back former party members or at least giving them a "here's what's up with X" mention in subsequent games

with the weird exception of both Sigrun and Velanna from Awakening. Dropped off the face of the Earth, both of them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Apart from Dorian, have we met anyone from tevinter who isn’t a slaver wizard monster? I hope we get a DA4 because I’d like to see what they do with the place when you have to actually play the game there instead of just hear stories about it.

Calpernia is a wizard and Morally Conflicted but she kills slavers so kinda

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
lol speaking of NPCs who keep showing up I was just reading the entry for Bann/Arl Teagan and the reason he looks so different (handsome youngish guy in DA:0, old pockmarked weirdo in DA:I) is he and the Crestwood mayor who flooded the town share the same face model.

This is just a prelude to all the Asari save PeeBee in Mass Effect: Andromeda all having the exact same face, I'm sure of it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
DA2 is a bad game that had some interesting ideas and given 6-12 more months in the cooker might have actually been a good game

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Dragon Age 2 was not a good game. However given Bioware's recent history you can't even say it was their worst anymore.

Dragon Age 2 had a heart, which Andromeda very much does not

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Kotaku 2022:

"BioWare spent five years developing Dragon Age: Imperium, but all but 18 months were essentially wasted in an attempt to make the game play more like a combination of Fortnite and Fallout:76. Reviews were not kind."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/bioware/status/1070884604620361728

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
http://blog.bioware.com/2018/12/06/thedreadwolfrises/

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
re: who's coming back from previous games as a party member

Dorian is very probable
Scout Harding is extremely probable (she's even in the very final Trespasser cutscene IIRC where you stab the map of Tevinter)

Wild card option, since this is likely set in Tevinter and will probably heavily involve the Qunari:

Tallis

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
yeah the Inquisitor and pals are definitely going to be in the game but probably only Dorian and Harding are going to be main characters/party members

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

eating only apples posted:

Dorian's whole thing is that he's a reluctant heir forced into conversion therapy by his dad and as such is pretty anti a lot of the bad poo poo in Tevinter while wanting to save/redeem his homeland, he's also just a really nice guy, I cannot fathom being anti-Dorian

he does try to lightly defend slavery at one point. Like Dorian a lot but had to call him out on that.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
yeah I totally get how Dorian comes to believe that and to his credit he doesn't seem all that invested in it but my position on active slavers in RPGs is immediate and permanent sanction so he's lucky he didn't go a little bit farther

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I'm talking about the Qunari becoming bad guys again in general, and the whole thing being framed as 'forcing' him back into the Qun.

The Qunari, and by extension Iron Bull, were far more interesting when they were a wild card that might be friendly.

As I said, a waste.

Yeah, I learned my lesson about assuming Bioware might go somewhere interesting with Dragon Age's story.

wasn't the Viddasala specifically something of a rogue element? Or was that just the qunari CYAing themselves after she blew it big-time?

Sten's the new Arishok anyway so I feel like there's some potential for interesting use of them in DA4 with him in charge.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
It'd be nice if BioWare kept making character-focused story-driven RPGs and not "five years too late incompetent Destiny 2 with jetpacks and also characters talk at you and please buy lootboxes" but them's the breaks

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm kinda fond of Origins' sepia tones and gentle lighting effects, less fond of the faces and the GYNORMOUS HANDS AND WEAPONS (though I understand that was a gameplay compromise to make everything readable with the tactical camera).

Also, very lukewarm take: while I understand the reasoning behind the Darkspawn redesign, it didn't really work visually for me.

they went from looking like horrible rotting monsters in DA:O to the putty patrol in DA2

also I like the whole "genlocks are big now, no reason, they just are" change

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Maligned as it is, I think Andromeda is the best Bioware game to date for letting you guide your protagonist's personality and giving her a lot of potential for characterization. I played Andromeda three times, twice as Sarah, and without ever touching the saint/rear end in a top hat split I came away feeling in both games that Sarah was a very different person in each due to the dialogue options I'd chosen.

I dunno it always felt like a downgrade from previous games. Like in ME1 when you talk religion with Ashley you can respond five different ways, each with varying levels of nuance, but the same talk with Suvi in ME:A is two responses at extreme ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, she is. My favorite parts of DA:I involved the old DA:O gang.

Kinda makes me wonder what Oghren is up to

Weirdly enough only three former companions have straight-up exited the narrative after their final turn as companions, and all are from Awakening: Oghren, Velanna, and Sigrun.