Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

Even doing little companion things a la Leliana's Song might be cool. Just, you know, make them better than Leliana's Song. I'd totally smuggle mages out of Kirkwall as Anders or annoy people as Sera for a few hours, if it were done well
A post-Trespasser DLC with Sera and crossbow arm Inquisitor would be hella fun. Run around Val Royeaux loving with nobles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xibanya posted:

Ughhhh I am ready to be done with this game and banished the grey wardens and now the next story mission needs 40 power points and I just have nine meaning I have to spend a few hours grinding on quests that I passed up earlier for being too tedious.

Time to check Nexus for a nice mod that will let me bypass this horseshit :shepface:
Have you not closed a single rift? Because those give power, they're all over the place, and they're really easy to do. By the end of a game I'll usually have well over 100 power and I don't go out of my way to do the sidequests I think are stupid.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Von_Doom posted:

Thinking about doing my dwarf faithful run but I’m torn on dagger rogue as I really dig on Cole.
Respec him into archery and Sera to daggers. Meshes much better with their specializations, as cams points out.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Von_Doom posted:

Ooooh nice. Two Rogues, 1 tank and 1 mage? That sounds challenging. I've gotten spoiled to using two mages constantly.
You'll wreck poo poo, especially if you go Tempest. You & Sera hitting things with 2x Thousand Cuts is :black101:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

joneswt posted:

So I just picked up Inquisition w/all the DLC from the PSN Cyber Monday sale. Any tips for a first playthrough? Any builds I should avoid?

Get out of the Hinterlands after you've banked some power (8 should be sufficient and it's easy to come by). You can come back, but don't try to do everything or explore everywhere, you'll get bored and overleveled.

I'd avoid Reaver/2h in general for a 1st playthrough. Everything else is fine.

If you play as a woman, hit on Cassandra and Dorian as much as you can regardless of whether you intend to romance anyone.

Crafting interface is clunky but you can break the game wide open that way.

Use the Dragon Age Keep to import choices from previous games. If you never played any you can just randomly pick stuff :v: (You can ignore it too, there's a default world state and the choices really don't matter)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xibanya posted:

Upon further reflection Solas reminds me a hell of a lot of my most recent ex which means I probably need help.

Now that I don’t feel the pressure to finish the main story I have been enjoying some sidequesting. Did the Cole amulet story. Does the choice there really change things significantly for his character?
Kind of. If you keep him more spirit he seems happier in the long run. If you make him more human he hooks up with Maryden :catstare: and the slide at the end of Trespasser has them roaming about the countryside cheering people up with songs. If he's more spirit-y he finally returns to the Fade.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ginette Reno posted:

Actually if anything Solas' view would be more dangerous because Cole as a spirit means Cole has the potential to turn into a Demon. Cole as more human might prevent him from becoming a demon even if it also limits his ability to feel the pain of others and help them.
But that quest was getting him an amulet to prevent his being turned so maybe he'll be fine if you let him remain spirit-y.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

Cassandra’s whole characterization is that despite her tough exterior, she’s really into girly feminine things and chick lit romance novels. She’s straight as hell.
That's kind of stereotyping in the opposite direction. There are plenty of lesbians who like those things too!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

There's no equality unless someone makes a Romancing the Stone mod that lets me and Shale finally be together :colbert:
Nexus being Nexus there's probably one out there that makes Dog romanceable :gonk:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

eating only apples posted:

I wonder why they've never fixed the strange audio bug when you first go to the Temple of Sacred Ashes. I don't know how it is for a male, but with a female inquisitor, when you hear her interrupt Corypheus's ritual, she says "what's going on here?" in the most casual tone - it's actually a line from a later scene with Dorian and Giselle. In the Fade it's a different lineread and much more appropriate.
They all do that, it's not until you hit the Fade that your character sounds like they actually walked in on something terrible. *sees old woman suspended in the air with a giant ugly dude clutching a glowing ball* "What's going on here? :effort:"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zore posted:

Also I thought Hard in Hightown featured a thinly veiled Aveline expy. And the dude in the back looks a lot like a genderswapped version of her. So he did Male!Aveline/Fem!Hawke friendfiction.
Nah, that's Swords and Shields, Varric's awful romance series. "Nothing should happen to her! She was falsely accused!"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Starkid/the ending is just lovely horrible writing and none of it was intentional. Indoctrination theory is just that, a fan theory to try and explain away the lovely writing. If there was ever a time for them to grab onto it, it was when the whole fiasco with the end/EC was going on. Instead we got "you don't understand ART!" While I'd love a direct ME3 sequel (a well-written one, anyway) the reception to Andromeda has killed the franchise for the foreseeable future. You know it's bad when even EA won't do DLC to hoover up extra money.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I have a friend who still plays the MP on PS4. Every once in a blue moon I'll join him for a match and the community is so small at this point he knows if the other people are good or bad just by name.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BlazetheInferno posted:

The problem is, the Keep doesn't actually import your choices. You have to enter them all manually, or else take the defaults. All the small decisions like sidequests, who you romanced, who you sided with on various main quests, all of it goes to a default until you enter what you prefer.

Without a way to go back and look at their save file and see how they resolved the issues asked about in the Keep's World State Tapestry, players who've forgotten what they did must either guess, or simply make the decision over again. I've found such a program that lets me look back at Origins/Awakening save files (and specifically lists off the factors that the Keep asks about), now I'm hoping to find one for DA2.

As long as I can keep carrying my save file forward, I want it to at least be *my save file*. Not what I can remember or guess of what I did years later.
That's not true, though :confused: If you've linked your Origin account it does import saves, even from console.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
God loving damnit EA, could you not kill every franchise I like? Keep up with this poo poo and you won't have any revenue at all when people stop buying your lootbox extravaganzas.

e: I'm one of those people who will buy DLC when it comes out at full price if I like the game, so getting another $30-$45 out of me on top of the $60 launch price seems like a decent revenue stream as opposed to me never buying a lootbox ever.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Randallteal posted:

Dragon Age has to be the longest running game franchise where the company has no idea what to do with it and every sequel's dev cycle is a compromised shitshow. It's amazing any of these have been any good.
DA has had a pretty steady team though, at least as far as writers. Should have known things were going tits up when Gaider left.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BlazetheInferno posted:

It imports the characters. It does not import any of the choices made by those characters.
Mine did, pretty sure. At work, but when I can get on my own computer I'll pull it up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BlazetheInferno posted:

Well, it sure as poo poo didn't import my DA2 choices. I may have trouble remembering a lot of the smaller choices, but I know I did not, in fact, execute Anders.
Just tested and yeah, pulled everything over just fine.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BlazetheInferno posted:

Is there some trick to it, then? Any time I try to setup a new world state in the Keep with one of my imported characters, nothing changes except the name/face/race/class/etc of the hero itself. None of the choices change away from the default.
Not that I'm aware of. You can now import Inquisition characters and I noticed that one was acting a bit weird, but then I restarted one playthrough way back using an earlier save so that might be throwing it off.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BlazetheInferno posted:

Doublechecking again, I don't have Inquisition (yet), so are you talking about importing Inquisition saves to the Keep, the Keep to Inquisition, or DA:O/DA2 to the Keep? Because it's that last one where it's not pulling my choices. It pulls the characters, but not the choices. And it's the choices that I'm looking for.

This little thing here does exactly what I'm looking for, but only for Origins. I'm hoping to find something that does this, but for DA2.
Yeah, I'm saying my DAO/DA2 saves loaded just fine, it's DAI that's behaving funky for me. I am on console though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Taear posted:

They might mean regular DLC drops. Which I'd actually quite like, it's so rare that games do post-game DLC now.
Again the Witcher is the only recent example I can think of.

I'm glad there's been a huge explosion of Indie games since so many of those feel more like a labour of love. Yea they want to make money but it's not a case of "how can we make the most money" and more "what's the best game I can make here".
Yeah, DAI had 3 DLCs and I bought all of them at full price so they got nearly the money of another full game from me. I'm cool with that, all of the DLCs were good (especially Trespasser), it gives people a reason to go back and play again/some more and makes profit. Then a couple years later they release a GOTY edition and people who weren't on the bandwagon at the time can get it all at a reduced price.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm fine with paying $15 for 4-8 hours of content in a game I enjoy :shrug: If you feel like that's a ripoff then you can wait for the GOTY or not buy it at all. It's miles better than $3 for a box of random poo poo.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Taear posted:

I could get a whole game for £15 though. Maybe it feels more reasonable in dollars but 4 hours of content that doesn't advance the story feels a bit shabby.
I was fine getting them altogether but it would have felt like a waste otherwise.
That's fine too! My point being DLC content is preferable to stupid lootbox poo poo - I'll pay for the former but will completely ignore the latter. If BW/EA switch to making DA a lootbox-infested P2W subscription mess I'm going to stop buying the games altogether and then they won't get any money from me at all. I don't think I'm alone in this opinion.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
DA in ME 2/3.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ainsley McTree posted:

You could get a kingdoms of amalur armor too; and reciprocally there was a KoA weapon that looked like omniblades
It was a gun, the Chakram Launcher. Made by AmaLur ( :haw: ).

precision posted:

There's a statue of an Ogre in ME2

Thedas is canonically in the ME universe
And a Krogan head in DAI.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

VostokProgram posted:

Do you guys craft gear for all your party members or just the Inquisitor? It seemed like so much work to make stuff for everyone that I let them all use whatever the best scavenged loot was
Yeah, but since you can still dupe items on PS4 with a glitch I'll just make 1 really good set of armor and dupe it for everyone.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

You'll have a worse time with Inquisition the more you try to micromanage your party like a CRPG. You basically play it like an MMO, with the only difference being that the party sometimes listens to your suggestions.
And if you absolutely positively need someone to do a thing, the tac cam is still there. The run where I did a sword and board templar I would set up/detonate combos with Cass all the time. I could just do one myself, but that way I could pull off a double really easily. I do miss the AI rules but they've moved away from that style of RTWP combat because it's not popular any more.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

snoremac posted:

So uh, dragons are broken right? The one in Crestwood knocked out three of the party with about 50% health left but as long as I kept filling Blackwall’s shield wall it couldn’t knock him out and I slowly chipped away at it.
Nah, they're difficult if you're low level but once you're geared up with some guard on hit stuff they become pretty trivial.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

eating only apples posted:

I always get a kick out of Solas lurking in the background looking irritated
More of a "haha look at these fuckers" to me - he gets that smirk going and it's great if you're playing an elf.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ApplesandOranges posted:

Huh, that's actually kinda nice.

Honestly from what I've read it seems that Mass Effect does a pretty good job with male romances, but from what I can tell of the gameplay it looks like a headache for me to play.
Play 1 on easy, 2 on normal, and 3 on insanity. If you're on PC then also give yourself all the broke-as-gently caress armors and weapons in 1 so everything dies in one hit. Because the combat in that game is utter poo poo. 3 is actually fun as hell to play on high difficulties because of all the improvements they made over the course of the series.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Taear posted:

Alternatively play them all on Normal and Origins has the best combat.
Don't present your weird combat feelings as fact!
I was speaking of Mass Effect :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Taear posted:

Putting the Bioware name on Anthem is just baffling. I can't understand why they'd do it.
Anthem could (cough) be a decent looter-shooter, but I highly suspect the people running the show don't understand what fans of BW games like about them. Pretty sure it ain't grindy loot acquisition and repetitive missions.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

ME3 MP proved it can work as long as the combat is really fun, but that's a heck of a conditional.
I love the poo poo out of ME3 MP, but I wouldn't pay $60 for it as a standalone. I'm honestly kind of surprised they never released just the MP for $15 or $20. Considering the servers are still up 6 years later they're probably still making some money from lootboxes.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is Andromeda better or worse than DA2, hype aside? Because it sounds like most people's issues with DA2 eventually just boiled down to reused assets, while Andromeda had... a bunch of other problems.
I don't have a seething hatred for DA2, so I'll call it about the same? Andromeda came out 5 years after ME3, but by the time they got done loving around and discarding ideas it ended up having about 18 months of actual dev time, I think. There's nothing inherently wrong with the characters or story in and of itself, but they ended up with an incomplete game and focused on the wrong things. Woo, look at all these side missions! Woo, they're almost universally stupid! Oops we didn't finish our animations! MEA combat is actually really good (don't ask me how they hosed up the MP but they managed), the profiles system is neat, and the game is really pretty. If they'd spent less time on the filler and more on the meat it probably would've gone over better.

Also I ordered one o' them hoodies from the BW store and it got here today. It's actually pretty nice, not the original $70 pricetag nice, but this was :10bux: and I'd call it a bargain if you can find something you like in your size.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Smol posted:

Bought a few of the DA novels as a curiosity. Let’s see how interesting they are.
I'm waiting for Hard in Hightown. It comes out in a couple of months.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Speaking of books, reminder Hard in Hightown comes out on the 31st if you want to get your Cassandra on.

e: VVV I think Patrick Weekes is still there.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 20, 2018

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
IIRC the entire story is plotted out, they know what all the major story beats are supposed to be and just try to work characters and subplots in around that. As opposed to ME which started off as a single thing and then got expanded into a trilogy and why the ending was such poo poo - because there was no plan until they got there.

Also I bought Hard in Hightown. It's bad, but bad...like it's in character? The chapters you find in DAI are there with the rest of the story added on. Also "Varric" breaks the fourth wall at one point when he's describing the Isabella analogue's ship. "That roundish wooden part seemed like it could crush armadas beneath its...poo poo, I don't know, wood." :haw: It's also really short. tl,dr: fun enough, but I feel like the $12 they want for it is a bit much, especially for an e-reader version. I didn't check, but the hardback edition would be about right if it's the same price.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah but if that were true then you'd expect to see many examples of mages succeeding outside the circles. Instead you get the Dalish Elf dude who summons up a forest spirit who gives everyone some horrible werewolf curse, Arl Eamon's son who gets possessed, apostates summoning up blood magic, Tevinter magisters literally loving up the flow of time. It's comedic to the point of parody how much mages cannot be trusted in these games.
Counterpoint: the Avvar, who train their mages with benign possession. It's only a single success story in a huge pile of fuckups, but it's something.

e: beaten like a Tranquil

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

They really screwed up by revealing that Quarians are just space elves rather than having weird insect faces
Just a sack of spiders. (Does anyone still have that comic or know where it came from?)

Raygereio posted:

It's still just weird that for Tali's picture, someone at Bioware took a stock Getty picture and did some photoshopping. They have concept artists who design faces.
I think in one of the ME threads somebody posted quotes from a dev and the original concept art for Tali was pretty alien. But then she became romanceable and they went with a "safe" option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

dmboogie posted:

cowards

femsheps get garrus and thane; male sheps get humans and a blue woman :argh:
No krogans either. It's not like they're making babies anyway!