Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Kumog posted:

Any reason why you didn't equip any sub magicite for your team there? That's a lot of bonus passives you were missing out on, especially since you've got at least 6 3*s to choose from to slap in there.

You don't get Magicites when soloing MPs. I'm not sure why, but you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I was excited to see 3/11:

Tifa LMR
Dupe Ashe BSB (already have one max combined)
Shelke SSB

Welp. I guess at least Shelke SSB is occasionally useful?

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

A lot of people in Discord have told me not to dive Ramza, but one advantage of his is the buff extension works on RWs as well.

Squall is a Good Dive, particularly since you can (often) speed up his cycle by doublecasting his CMD1, and the CMD2 doublecasts are absurd.

Lightning's is also good, since you can quickly lifesiphon your way into USB -> Thundering Quadstrikes.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Edit: ^^^ No stacking. I believe the newest will always overwrite as well, even if a lower amount.

I was going to put a single pull on the upcoming XII banner, but ended up using that pull on TA, so I will have to pass.

I'm going to pass on the Fest luckies for Healer and BSBs I think, there just aren't many I would consider a "win" at this point, but I am pretty stacked.

Oryp fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 14, 2017

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I used my Lightning mage team against Barbaricia, with Aranea along for the jumping, worked pretty well. I enjoyed the CT, but I'm also incredibly stacked on relics.

I've been steamrolling most content, which makes me question why I did two pulls on the new XII banner.

Oh right, because I love XII.

2/11
Balthier USB
Penelo LMR

2/11
Balthier USB
Balthier LMR

That'll work! I now have an incredibly strong gun and Balthier can be an imperil/damage machine. I also already had Penelo's USB, so her LMR is welcome!

Oryp fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 22, 2017

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I was very happy to get this Christmas morning, as I already have Tidus' Chain!

I immediately dove Tidus and took Sapphire Shot to R3!

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

KataraniSword posted:

One Sapphire Shot at R3 and a second at R2 is my gear for him when fighting Liquid Flame. With an entruster, you'd probably get sub-30 with just one other good DPS friend (Bartz, Edge, etc).

Sapphire Shot is nuts with Tidus's USB ball.

Awwyiss, I'm looking forward to being able to slap Tidus' OSB +water sword on Bartz. Those two will be my Water Wrecking Crew.

Speaking of wrecking, I hadn't posted this here, but after getting Balthier decked out I decided to make an all fire, all assault team. Then I took it to the 220 difficulty, fire resistant boss:

Vivi and Bartz are dove, out of the above, and the only two who got to use any soul breaks were the mages, as I started them each with gauge.

I'm thinking about diving Balthier for massive fire imperil ability, but I haven't made a final decision yet.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Edit: Beaten like every enemy that faces Bartz.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend Onion banner for a new person, simply because of the investment into getting Onion knight usable.

Banner 4 (out now) has tons of offensive tools, and banner 5 (out tonight, replacing banner 4) has some great offensive tools as well as several buffs. I can see an argument for either, but I might lean towards banner 5 since it has more buff options.

Either way post your results here and join us on Discord for help!

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I 100 gemmed something for the first time in a while! It was Sabin's armlet (dupe). I don't even know why I still 100 gem...

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Mirthless posted:

because sometimes you streak and get 3 disco balls in two weeks

You do?

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I'm wondering who I should dive next???

Check your 5* motes and make sure you have 100 of the right types to commit.

Out of what you have I would go for Tidus(Bravery and Dex) or Cloud(Vit and Dex), and then the other, since they can really put out a lot of damage with their Dives/USBs. Cid Raines if you have enough for a caster(Spirit and Wisdom).

Re: Bartz LMR
I use it, but it very rarely procs. The only way I look at it as an upgrade to the LM1 is if you are already capping your regular hits. On hard content you won't be close to capping the followup hits, so if I can get the occasional extra casts it is preferred.

Oryp fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 15, 2018

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Alright, I need some help decided who to dive now, too.

For potential candidates I've got:

Lightning with USB, BSB1, SSB.
Edge with USB, SSB, LMR
Shelke with nothing
Onion Knight with BSB, SSB, LMR
Braska with USB

The only reason I'm hesitating on Edge is that I've already got a dived Shadow, but water is one of the elements I have weak coverage in and I doubt I'm going to be pulling hard on any VII banners with Yuffie's USB2 on it.

My weakest magicite elements right now are water, earth, and lightning. Lightning's USB seems crazy good but my only other physical lightning option is Orlandeau's OSB, so I dunno if those two alone + buffs and an entrust bot is enough to make sub-30 feasible.

This is a bit tougher, since those are all decent options, so definitely check mote count/types to see if you can dive multiple. My thoughts on each:

Shelke is great for shaving times down, in my experience she shaved off 4-8 seconds from my magicite clears. If that matters to you, or you want an entrust bot for other content, she is a great dive; if you don't care about shaving seconds off then don't dive her.

Lightning with "just" USB is pretty great, and her dive helps her get rolling faster. I personally use her (with dive/USB) and slap lifesiphon on to build up her first gauge, then unleash USB and Thundering Quadstrike until dead. If you need more lightning damage it is hard to go wrong with her, you mentioned O, but if you also have a really good lightning mage team then you may not need her dive as much.

Edge I cannot personally attest too, but my understanding is that it is quite strong. If you need more water damage I would be leaning this way.

Onion Knight would be an okay dive, if you use him all the time, but without one of the newer USBs it doesn't seem quite as attractive.

Braska seems pretty good, if you want a solid summoner. His 4 and 5* dives give him a combined 21% boost to summon damage, plus doublecast summons sometimes; then his USB adds another 30% summon damage plus followup attacks. He gains some advantage from using fire damage, but since most of his boosts are just +summon so you could really use him for any element.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Are the magitice bosses actually timed below the 30/60, or are people trying to "shave off seconds" just for fun/challenge/bragging rights?

If you can get below 30 after that it is all bragging rights/fun. Well, and somewhat quicker battles maybe, if you are repeatedly beating them.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I half dove a couple of healers, mainly for the extra stats and %heal. I did also full dive Ysh.

As for Marche, you should be able to pick him up in the coming FFT event at a minimum. They should also update the HoR at... some point.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I mentioned this in chat the other day, but Edge SSB and Alphinaud SSB were essential for my early magicite clears. Keeping my team alive with last stand while the boss nuked themselves was a great combo. I don't use him for much otherwise, but if you need a source of haste and last stand he is great.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Woo! Sub 30'd Marilis on day one! Only took a quadcast Engulfing, followed by an 8 hit barrage, I'm sure I can reproduce that on every run...

Water is my best element with Tidus and Bartz, so I don't expect this kind of success to continue.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I use Squall LMR if I am building gauge with Snowspell Strike, otherwise use LM1.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Everyone told me to roll on this banner so I did!

I got Legend Materia for Tidus ("infused with the power of water", whatever that means??) and Ramza (start the round with a full ATB gauge)

I would probably do another draw on this banner, if you can. Both LMRs are useful, but you need other pieces for the people to make them really worthwhile. And there are still plenty of good things on this banner!

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Luneth gives the best EXP+ RM, which is why he is recommended to grab early. Personally I grabbed him as my 5th or 6th I think, as I wanted to get my A team (at the time) setup first.

Also, I am beyond hyped for the KH banner.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I personally honed Reaping Scythe to R4, aiming for R5 eventually, for my recently obtained TG Cid USB. I figure I can afford to use the Death Throes skill or a Doom RM for any content where I want to use him doing dark. I may eventually also hone up Sanguine Cross as well, as it seems like another solid option. I was just afraid of potentially triple casting any ability that is going to hurt my own character.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I really wanted to pull here, hoping for Fujin/Rinoa USBs, and/or Zell LMR (already have his USB). The mythril is low though, so I am holding out for a draw on the upcoming V banner. Some great looking Ice/Earth on that banner, and with fest around the corner I can't be throwing out mythril like a madman.

For anyone looking at this VIII banner, at least take a look at the following before deciding, as it may be better depending on your needs. 9 total +ice or +earth equips:ducksiren:

Dorgann USB (Earth Boost on sword)
10x 71% Earth/Wind physical (710%) with self En-Earth, DEF+100% and chase Knight abilities with Sandstorm (2-6 34% Earth/Wind physical (68-204%) (extra hits per ability rank))

Xezat USB (Ice Boost on sword)
10x 71% Ice/Lightning physical (710%) with self En-Ice, Shortcharge 1, and Spellblade Ability Boost

Kelger USB (Earth Boost on sword)
10x 71% Earth/Wind physical (710%) with self Physical Blink 1, Ninja Ability Boost, and chase Earth abilities with Lupine (4/6/8 32% Earth/Wind physical (128/192/256%) (extra hits per Physical Blink 0/1/2))

Galuf USB (Earth Boost on hammer)
Party ATK/MAG+30% and Haste, and self En-Earth

Kelger BSB
8x 83% Earth/Wind physical (664%) with self En-Earth
CM1: Lupine Claw 4x 47% quick Earth/Wind physical (188%)
CM2: Lupine Footwork 2x 75% quick Earth/Wind physical (150%) with self Physical Blink 1

Galuf BSB2
8x 83% Earth/Fire physical (664%) with Imperil Earth
CM1: Crushing Fist 4x 54% Earth/Fire physical (216%)
CM2: Rising Spirit 2x 54% Earth/Fire physical (108%) with self Crit=50%

Xezat BSB (Ice Boost on helm)
8x 79% random Ice/Lightning physical (632%) with Imperil Ice (Ice Boost)
CM1: Blade of Echoing Ice 3x 56% Ice/Lightning ranged physical (168%) with self Spellblade Damage+15% 3
CM2: Freezing Lightning 2x 65% AoE Ice/Lightning ranged physical (130%) with ATK/DEF Bargain

Dorgann BSB (Earth boost on heavy armor)
AoE Imperil Earth and party ATK/DEF+30%
CM1: Protector's Vow 4x 49% Earth/Wind physical (196%) with Knight Damage+15% 2
CM2: Blades of Sand 3x 47% Earth/Wind physical (141%) with self ATK/RES+30%

Xezat LMR (Ice Boost on gloves)
25% chance to doublecast Spellblade abilities

Kelger LMR (Earth Boost on armor)
25% chance for Ninja abilities to apply self Physical Blink 1

Dorgann LMR
Start battle with En-Earth

Galuf LMR
25% chance to doublecast Monk abilities

Kelger SSB (Earth Boost on armor)
Party instant 40% max HP heal and Physical Blink 1

Xezat SSB
6x 132% Ice/Lightning physical (792%) with party Ether 1

Oryp fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 27, 2018

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

FairGame posted:

I pulled again on the KH banner since I got Riku USB (and a random Sora glint) on the half-price one. Was hoping for some more Riku gear since the USB is absurd.

Got Sora BSB, Sora LMR, Cloud LMR (who cares), a different Sora glint.

I don't really know how adding stacks of things works, though, and with Sora's BSB it's all about managing stacks. So:

1.) Is it an appreciable power increase to chase after Sora's USB with one more pull, or does the BSB+LMR, or is the marginal return (I'm free-to-play) not remotely worth another 50-mythril roll?
2.) What is the best way to do the whole stack thing? Do I take it to max and then unload with CMD2? Is there a way of tracking stacks, or do I have to keep track of it mentally? If the LMR effect procs and he doublecasts BSB1, does that add 2 stacks? If the LMR effect procs and he doublecasts BSB2, is the 2nd hit at 0 stacks (since he unloaded with the 1st hit) or at however-many-stacks-the-first-BSB2 had?
3.) Should I bother with the glints (I have ice and lightning) before doing any of this?
4.) How long does burst mode even last? I thought it was based on # of turns, but it doesn't seem to be that OR amount of time. I've never really understood it.

Basically teach me how to make Sora a monstrous asskicker.

The good news is that you got all the things needed to make Sora act like Squall, for three different elements if you dive him, or just for whichever two you have the glints for.

Ideally you would use the glint for the element you want to hit, then use the BSB, then spam command 1 (hoping for doublecasts) until it has been cast 3 times, then use command 2.

A1) Unless you really love the idea of Sora I probably wouldn't bother chasing, the only major payoff left would be Sora AOSB/USB, or Riku tech. Small chance of landing specifically what you are looking for.
A2) Take it to the max, use cmd2. No way of tracking. Any doublecast of cmd1 will count as two stacks. Cmd2 doublecasting is extra premium amazing.
A3) Probably. Only way you might skip it is if you have him legend dove and already have the en-element from that, and even then the glint can help if you need a bit more power. Without a legend dive the glint is a great way to add damage.
A4) Busrt modes are always 25 seconds of in game time. Should be enough for about 4-5 turns assuming haste but no quickcast.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Jumping in on this dark talk, because lately some of my favorite teams have been dark:

Seymour Chain/LMR with MM/DZ
Raines BSB/dive with MM/DZ/Cmd1
TGC USB/Dive with Death Throws/Reaping Scythe

I still need a +dark sword for TGC, but he is pretty much always capping anyway. None of them even have or need en-dark. :getin:

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, in my aforementioned dark team I am generally using OK's boost, plus memento mori, plus CidR's boost, plus the Chain's boost, and I generally have two pieces of +dark gear equipped. Honestly that is overkill for almost all content outside of Magicite, but just to give some idea on how many boosts you may be wanting to stack.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Can you off-banner on these pulls? I assume it is possible. Would be kind of hilarious for those excited for their first XI relic.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

FairGame posted:

Actually, on the topic of dark boosting gear.

I have a reforged combined; reforged means something different Gaffgarion sword (base 5*, turned into 6*) that gives a dark boost. Should Riku be using that instead of a 6* sword?
I have 2 staves that give + dark. One is 6* and one is 5*. Assuming I only care about dark damage, should I be preferencing 6* dark boost > 5* dark boost > 6* generic? Or is it 6* dark boost > 6* generic > 5* dark boost?
I can also stack armor (Vayne's Novus Leathers) and a weapon for 2 separate "gives small boost to dark damage". Do these boosts stack, or is it the same boost that just overwrites itself?

The armor and weapon each would give +20% boost, additive. It is always better to go with the +element gear over more atk/mag IF you are already over the softcap after boosts(from buffs like OK/Ramza/etc). Softcap is roughly 805 for attack and 1050 for magic.

Edit: Under softcap there is more math involved, but I normally would consider the +element to be worth ~40 points of atk/mag. This is not necessarily correct, someone else feel free to expand there if you know more.

And an example:
My CidR with two pieces of +dark equip (no accessory included) has 467 magic. With memento mori, his own buff, and any other mag/atk or mag/mnd etc buff:
467 x 1.3 x 1.3 x 1.3 = 1026 magic
so that is better than equipping a different weapon/armor that would boost his magic further.

Oryp fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 13, 2018

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

So far my worthwhile pulls on the Realms on Parade (by Rage Against the Gacha) have been Agrias LMR (have her SSBs and BSB) and a dupe Vivi USB. I felt really bad stealing someone else's Vivi.

Then I decided to do my planned V banner pull, very excited for some +ele gear as I have no +ice yet and limited +earth:
1/11 Xexat SSB (no +ele)

Okay, I had a lovely day, and that was terrible, lets try once more:
1/11 Xexat SSB

... Not wanting to rage pull, I gave it a couple hours, then rage pulled.

3/11
Dorgann USB
Dorgann BSB
Dorgann LMR

Alright, still no ice gear, but at least I have an amazing Earthbringer! I am waiting until after fest but most likely he is getting a dive for that sweet double cast. With proper boosts I should be able to get 15 or 16 hits with R4 or R5 Earthbringer doublecasts!

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Zell's USB is great, even without OK pUSB as long as you have some source of +crit chance. His weapon is also amazing for use with him, giving that strong atk and +fire, and he gets passive for fists.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I use Zell's USB with FW all the time, and generally have no problem triggering the followup as long as there is any +crit chance in the party.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Super excited for Prompto and Shadow!

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I went into this banner with two dupes: Tidus Chain and LMR. Have Terra USB/OSB and some Krille things, so really wanted to setup those two further and buff the yuff.

2x11: Terra AOSB and Yuffie AOSB :vince:
Okay, amazing, but I want something to go with Yuffie.

1x11: Krille Chain
Holy poo poo 3/22 discos... still want yuff, I'll advised third pull gooooo

3x11: Yuffie BSB, Krille LMR, Terra Glint

Is Yuffie good with BSB/AOSB? I can't believe the dupe dodging I've managed so far, and the only useful things left for me are Terra LMR and Yuffie glint/USB/LMR.

Edit: To clarify re:Yuffie. I use Tidus/Bartz with supporters right now. Is BSB/AOSB enough to be worth losing entrusted gauge to Tidus for USB recasts, or replacing Bartz with USB/water BSB? I guess for water neutral/resistant it will be, but probably not otherwise?

Oryp fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 3, 2018

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Hey all I had bad insomnia last night and ended up whaling on this banner. Now I feel really dumb. Don't be like me. Also, I hereby toxxing myself to not draw on anything until next fest.

12 draws to get Yuffie's glint, and no USB for her, no LMR for Terra.

Oryp fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 3, 2018

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

superloosegoose posted:

Isgebind is giving me trouble!

Alma (dived, bsb, hp stock ssb)
Ramza (dived, bsb2, lmr)
Zell (dived, USB, lmr)
Deuce (dived, bsb)
Sora (dived, USB)

I think alma is my dead weight here. entrusting is kind of awkward, as i needed affliction break. Should I switch out alma for arc (i have the phys blink ssb), and/or switch out sora for balthier (imperil ssb, osb)?

What kind of trouble are you having? Are you having issues doing damage or taking too much damage?

I assume Zell is using Fires Within? Is he capping on his FW and USB recasts?

Balthier probably won't do much for you since you don't have an en-fire to use with the OSB.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Almost finished farming 3* magicites and about to move on to the 4*s, thinking I'll start with kraken - will Kain CSB/BSB and Lightning USB be enough dps? Aphmau USB + 2 entrusters enough healing or should I bring 2 healers and 1 entruster?? 🤔

Those are the DPS I used for my initial clears, though I have added in Prompto now. I would be concerned with the lack of a boostga in your current strategy.

Kain, Lightning, Aphmau, Booster, Entruster should work. Remember that entrusting some to a healer may be necessary. I was only occasionally managing to fit in an entrust to Kain for his BSB, but that wasn't a big problem. Kain's Chain is weak, but he will add some damage with Lightning dive. Lightning will be doing most of your work, so make sure you have a +Damage RM on her, and probably at least R4 Thundering Quadstrike.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Philouza posted:

A few months ago I kinda had buyers remorse on the Shadow dive, but I'm not feeling that way anymore. Once I bit the bullet and crafted a second Shadow Embodied, it was really straight-forward (Shadow's BSB commands are comically weaker than SE). Shadow/Garland/Edge have +Dark armor and Garland/Edge have +Dark weapons. I remember recently getting Kefka's OSB, real nice to have 6* +Dark armor

jebeebus posted:

^ lol @ using the water reflect to save on dark orbs... nice

This is seriously amazing, and makes that second set of Ninja Skills I was planning much easier to manage.

KataraniSword posted:

Eiko USB was like Raines BSB in that it was so gamechanging that they scrambled to dial things back almost immediately.
Y'shtola USB was like those first few confused Squall/Bartz/etc USBs that just tried to do everything and in return did gently caress all.

Woah now, you talking poo poo about Bartz USB? The other ones are garbage... but Bartz is amazing.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

bilperkins2 posted:

Magic team:

Terra w/ USB, OSB + AOSB, +Fire RM, Wrath til Chain is up, then USB>OSB/AOSB spam and Meltdown in between, using her AOSB +Fire MAG Sword
Krile w/CSB (also have Sheepsong but don't use it), +DMG against Weakness RM, Chain Firaga until full bar then CSB, and more Chain Firaga, non-+Fire weapon (best one is -100 MAG vs. non+Fire weapon)

Both teams use:

Edge w/SSB, Mako Might, Smoldering Fire/Fire Veil. Turn 1 SSB, then Fire Veil until Chain is up, then Smoldering Fire. Occasionally SSB when needed. non+Fire fist.
Onion w/pUSB/mUSB (whichever's appropriate), Dr. Mog's. Turn 1 Dr. Mog, then Wrath/Wrath/Entrust to the Chainer, Wrath/Wrath/Re-up USB, wrath/entrust remaining time.
Yshtola w/BSB, Gathering Storm RM, Protectga, Curada, and using Unicorn Magicite to Astra the paralyzes. Curadas and BSB's as needed.

Quick thoughts: I would try your Magic team, dropping Edge for an entruster to Terra. Don't use wrath on terra other than maybe turn 1, instead start using attacks. Maybe start with a gauge on Krille, since most damage will be coming from Terra, and you are going for speed, can have Krille use RW turn 1 then chain turn 2.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Oryp posted:

Quick thoughts: I would try your Magic team, dropping Edge for an entruster to Terra. Don't use wrath on terra other than maybe turn 1, instead start using attacks. Maybe start with a gauge on Krille, since most damage will be coming from Terra, and you are going for speed, can have Krille use RW turn 1 then chain turn 2.

Another thought for bilperkins2:
Instead of an entruster you could also try Bartz as mostly a chain builder, since his dps is going to be a bit low. I would only try this if you are not capping the abilities with your mages at lower chain numbers. I still suspect an entruster for Terra USB -> AOSB and OSBs is going to be better, and shouldn't require a large chain number.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I have all of Dorgann's stuff, and he is fully legend dove. I have an R5 Earthbringer to use with him and he absolutely wrecks things weak to earth. If you had a chain the chaser would be even better I am certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Dorgann dive is really solid, but note that you will not want to use Earth Saber on him most likely. His USB gives a Def boost, which along with some combination of wall/protectga/gaia cross means that he will max out Earthbringer pretty well.

As prev noted, I rock an R5 Earthbringer on him (for the extra chase hits) along with Gaia's Cross for the def buff. He puts in a lot of work, and I don't regret his dive, but I would definitely try him out without the dive first.

• Locked thread