Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
hell yeah i'm here to get sweet purps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

:ducksiren: ALERTZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!! :ducksiren:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/destiny-2-expansion-pass-pc/

Use code NEW15 to get the Expansion Pass that includes both CoO and DLC2 for $26!!!!!!!!

i just bought the expansion pass before you posted this

rip me

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i'd just like to state that, for the record, i love my dead gay traveler

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Somebody tell me all the good lore/flavor text/story development from this update. Or I guess I could watch a playthrough!

I will do this thing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

"For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Ghaul? This is John Ghaul speaking. I am the man who loves his Light. I am the man who does not sacrifice his Legion or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of Light and thus has destroyed your world..."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm trying to figure out what new lore/story stuff is in the CoO story bit.

Uh... The Vex turned Mercury into a planet-sized simulation mind? The Vex were present on Mercury when the Traveler was turning it into a garden world? The Vex have a Panoptes super-mind which is trying to create a future where Light and Dark have been eliminated (by killing all life and turning the galaxy cold)? That's what Osiris is trying to stop and even after you wipe out Panoptes he's worried that the Vex'll figure out another way to do it. Ikora Rey is strong enough to brute force open the pathway? Osiris seemed to imply at one point that the Traveler waking up was a bad sign.

It felt like there was very little to chew on. And, for what the story was, there sure was a lot of running back and forth to find things which didn't really advance the plot.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Communist Walrus posted:

So the Red Legion was tearing up Mercury to use it as fuel to destroy the sun and the Vex just...didn't care?

That was my thought too. But given that the Vex seem to able to compute and simulate whole timelines, maybe they weren't concerned?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I got more the impression that Osiris was hinting that there may be unforseen consequences to the awakened Traveler, not that it was necessarily a bad thing. Probably a bit of foreshadowing for the spooky triangle ships that don't correspond to any of the current enemy factions.

Well, I mean, the Traveler awakening seemed to alert those ships (the Darkness?)

Destiny 2 gave me the distinct impression that the Traveler was playing possum.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Canadian Surf Club posted:

edit: favorite terrible CoO writing "the infinite forest....it's huge!"

My favorite bit was "It took Osiris centuries to open this gate -- but we don't have that much time." And then Ikora just forces it open with a purple laser beam and I don't know but it might've been nice if she had done that earlier?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ghost is an annoying nerd and not in the fun way. I guess that's a consequence of the MMO side of things, where the Ghost needs to be this everyman character but the only times I find him entertaining is when, like, Failsafe rips into him during the Nessus Strike and such.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

where do you get one of those lenses anyway

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Emergency posted:

I just picked up Destiny 2 and now I have the biggest mental block on picking a class. Someone tell me which class to play.

Titan if you like being the Master Chief.
Warlock if you like being a space wizard.
Hunter if you like being a useless piece of poo poo.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

nickhimself posted:

Titan looks like Iron Man, starts off with a Luke Cage subclass. You get Captain America next, then Thor last.

Hunter looks like Bobbert Fett, starts off as a Star Wars light sword guy, turns into Overwatch McCree next, then Hawkeye last.

I haven't played Warlock yet but he's probably different periods of David Bowie but with guns.

Each class gets the same guns to use, so shooting is the same.

Grenades differ, class abilities differ.

Warlock gets to be Sheev 'The Senate' Palpatine at some point.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i've figured out what the curse of osiris is, hot lore spoilers coming up: it's his sexy, sexy voice

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

give me the Prometheus Lens bungie this is a lawyer

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

QuasiQuack posted:

The taken are a really good and cool concept imo. They're all former individuals who have been "absolved of the burden of free will" and through that process have become incredibly powerful agents of The Darkness. They've been dipped in The Deep by Oryx's invisible hand and are pretty much the closest any faction has come to being the actual Darkness.

I agree. Problem is, as a new player to Destiny 2, I had to learn this through the wiki. In-game, they're not helped at all by your only exposure to their lore being Ikora Rey saying they're 'stolen souls' corrupted by 'dark magic'. Sure, once you understand that Rey isn't exactly being literal and she's basically a religious fanatic for the Traveler, sure, you can see something there. But they're basically set up as spooky evil spirits and they feel so boring.

My big, big flaw with D2 is that new players aren't told anything. The lore is actually really interesting! But I have to trawl through the wiki and the web Grimoire entries for it. You get enough of the basics to understand what's going on with the main plot with Ghaul and the Traveler but the Hive, the Fallen and so on are basically left completely bare. Stuff like that makes me agree with the thought that D2 feels like a big expansion to D1.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 9, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The weirdest thing about Destiny 2 not having like any kind of social chat is how every time you start the game up there's that blinking icon for the text chat.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

Fun fact: FWC actually has a vex computer that people were working on in the Golden Age to use for predictions. It made everyone go insane and kill themselves though.

They maybe use it sometimes still, it's not clear. FWC is still best because their armor owns and their colors are space NASCAR and Shohreh Aghdashloo has an extremely good and cool voice.

Doesn't she just?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I missed out on the lore chat a few pages ago, but since General Batutta got brought up, everyone who hasn't read The Traitor Baru Cormorant yet should go read it. He wrote it and it's real good.

Have to second this on general principle. Great book.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i can't believe how bad a character ghost is

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ghost is legit the worst

Most of the other characters have lines that make me smile but ghost is just... there. Not only is his boring but his characterisation is glaringly inconsistent. Sometimes he needs to be the straight man and other time he's the bad joke guy.

I understand him being boring because it's like an MMO thing where you need the advisor to be as bland as possible, but having him change from scene to scene...

Failsafe is good because she rips relentlessly on ghost, like more characters should because ghost is horrible.

I think a lot of the characters work better in specific pairs, but those pairs are always like straight guy and whacky jokester.

It's like mass effect where the squad members were all on a paragon/renegade totem pole and if you had the right combination you'd get characters acting wildly out of character simply because they were more renegade on the totem pole than the other one.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

this thread makes me want to play siege tbqh

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

legit part of the reason i stopped playing destiny 2 was because i got like 4 khepri's horns in a row

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

This is an actual question: is PC in game text chat highly desirable?

I'm trying to imagine an instance of where that'd be helpful on the PS4. And I'm coming up empty handed besides "I could yell at random people in the Tower."

Is this more of a long cultural need for it? Versus actual utility? Wouldn't PC people have even more external options to talk to clan mates or connect with potential LFGers?

the way of finding other LFGers for raids on PC is pretty bad and isn't really conducive to doing so quickly

you need to jump through a bunch of hoops on the bungie fireteam site, or be paying close attention to whatever discord you're hanging on

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Halo 6 hasn't even been announced yet and the last one was almost three years ago

it's because halo 5 was really bad and halo 4 was a good ending to the chief's story and no one is particularly interested in 'cortana is the bad guy'

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

As much as a tired, stale, boring rear end trope as it is, Master Chief waking up at the beginning of 6 and learning Halo 5 was all just a bad dream as he rockets into the sun or something would be infinitely better than whatever they have come up for it to continue the lovely storyline of 5.

the other thing is that halo 4 was very obviously building into a 'Chief fights the UNSC' story, which then never eventuated probably because microsoft wouldn't allow a game of the chief killing humans

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

perhaps game less bad in two weeks

perhaps not

Schrodinger's game

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

isn't yuga sundown the thing Rasputin did to force the traveller to stay

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Waffle House posted:

nah idk if that's canon anymore

lol that was the bit of lore that got me interested in destiny 2

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Seconding what Psycho Landlord and Xarbala have said. General Battuta is an excellent writer and Baru Cormorant is a great novel (and BP is a great fan campaign -- feels unfair to call it that, really).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i thought you were joking

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

an astronaut, thinking as hard as he's ever thought in his life, a basketball under his arm: you see, the big white orb is like... a traveler

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

BofA Deez nuts LMAO

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

comatose posted:

*Osiris walks out of the infinite forest*
We have so much to talk about Ikora!
*Osiris walks back into the infinite forest*

I'm having way more fun with Warmind than I did with CoO. Mercury was a joke of a zone. The infinite forest could have been a great randomized dungeon thing but turned out to just be a tedious poo poo show. All the terraformed Mercury bits in the IF were great but again entirely underused. The whole expansion was just completely half-baked.

ikora: "guardian, we need to find some way of reaching osiris"

also ikora, later: "well, guess i can open the door myself"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

destiny's lore is cool as heck but it feels weird that it's going to come down to 'shoot the darkness'

kind of like how mass effect 3 was about thousands of sentient battleships invading, but everything came down to 'shepard shoots things'

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

cvnvcnv posted:

LIGMA BALLS BITCH

lmao

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

sounds like a cool expansion but lol if i'm paying for it

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i'd be surprised if they kill cayde tbqh

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

in today's day and age just about every big release has writers/developers/producers/directors lying through their teeth about things

perhaps the most infamous is casey hudson saying that mass effect 3 would not have a three button ending like DX:HR something like two days prior to release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

RocketRaygun posted:

cosmic space triangles, which are the archenemy to the cosmic space sphere

it's a cosmic space BASKETBALL

don't you read the lore smdh

• Locked thread