Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

It's a hierarchy thing.

And think about it - Eiger's an ex-soldier, living in an anarchist city-state. The tiny bit of operational hierarchy involved in being on a team of career criminals is probably all she's got. Then here comes Rosa, Monika's old bestie from Back in the Day, and everybody loves her, and there goes the org chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Even giving her a bunch of drugs doesnt really help. :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You act like Eiger's never encountered nepotism before.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

cigaw posted:

I really enjoyed the Shadowland BBS in Dragonfall and HK. Had a bunch of chuckles at the recurring jokes and posters.
Hong Kong's message board is great, there's at least two entire subplots you watch play out via them, plus at least one instance of someone on your crew posting there.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Gobbet posts all the time in HK iirc. She has multiple accounts.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

RedMagus posted:

As for Aljernon, I always figured he was some sort of spirit and was actually in all those different places at once. I guess once you becomes immersed in a certain fiction, you tend to shrug your shoulders and go "makes sense I guess".

This was my take. From what little we know about Aljernon, him being an extremely powerful Free Spirit seems most likely.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

habeasdorkus posted:

Gobbet posts all the time in HK iirc. She has multiple accounts.

She probably keeps getting banned for the consequences of her food recommendations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I dont know posted:

This was my take. From what little we know about Aljernon, him being an extremely powerful Free Spirit seems most likely.

Rosa seems to me like the sort who will not be fazed by something as tiny as apparent omnipresence.

And it's no spoiler to say that there's more and greater weirdness in this plot.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
HK has some of the best board posts....

I've always enjoyed them in the source books (and DF for that matter) and HK just made me smile nearly every time.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Shadowrun Chronicles is on sale for the weekend if you need more.

E:Vvvvv how bad are we talking here? Not worth 10$ bad or I wouldn't play this if you payed me bad?

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 9, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No dont, that's the bad one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

You probably don't need "more" that badly.

There are plenty of user made campaigns, some of them quite good. Recommend those instead for anyone who hasn't had enough after finishing all three games.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

E:Vvvvv how bad are we talking here? Not worth 10$ bad or I wouldn't play this if you payed me bad?

If you payed me ten dollars to play that I would punch you.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Sounds like someone needs to MST3K this poo poo.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Wasn't Chronicles that mediocre arena shooter , that got a taped on "Shadowrun" license?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

OutofSight posted:

Wasn't Chronicles that mediocre arena shooter , that got a taped on "Shadowrun" license?

No, that one was just called "Shadowrun".

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, that one was just called "Shadowrun".

Between Shadowrun, Shadowrun, Shadowrun and Shadowrun it's undoubtedly the worst Shadowrun of the four.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I legit like the Xbox Shadowrun. I thought it was a very solid team arena shooter, just not a very good Shadowrun game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Xander77 posted:

You probably don't need "more" that badly.

There are plenty of user made campaigns, some of them quite good. Recommend those instead for anyone who hasn't had enough after finishing all three games.

Yeah, there's some really fun user made campaigns that have basically more than doubled the time of enjoyment I've gotten out of the HBS Shadowrun games. My favorites are the CalFree campaigns by cirion. I loved both "Antumbra Saga" and "The Caldecott Caper", and I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the latest one, "CalFree in Chains", as well. Great stuff.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

wiegieman posted:

I legit like the Xbox Shadowrun. I thought it was a very solid team arena shooter, just not a very good Shadowrun game.

Me too. Stealthy ninja elf bullshit aside.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

At least one of the higher-up devs involved with this series was involved with the shooter Shadowrun.

He got pelted with tomatoes or something on camera while holding a sign saying "I'm Sorry" :downs:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

mauman posted:

At least one of the higher-up devs involved with this series was involved with the shooter Shadowrun.

He got pelted with tomatoes or something on camera while holding a sign saying "I'm Sorry" :downs:

Yeah, that was in the original DMS Kickstarter video. And it was random merch stuff in their office, not fruit.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2_W9aUN7lA, if you wanna watch it yourself. :allears:

Magni fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 10, 2018

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I get that Eiger is meant to be in a raw place emotionally but her constantly taking it out on Rosa is just something that gets on my nerves.

And re: the rookie thing, yeah, Rosa is a runner with some experience but shes basically unknown in Berlin so as far as anyone is concerned she's a new face.

Runner communities tend to be pretty tightly knit on the local level, so unless you're hot enough/doing international runs enough, most of the time walking into another runner community is a "Huh? Who?"

quote:

I wonder if this is just her being Flux-state-y about information and how Rosa will probably find out about her dossiers on everyone, or a kinda morbid black-humour introspection that Rosa will probably inherit the workstation if she ever dies on a run. :(

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I assume morbid black humor is a requirement for being a runner.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Gallows humor definitely helps when you're on the gallows, otherwise you end up like Eiger, angry and clinging to order to maintain your sense of solid ground.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Gallows humor definitely helps when you're on the gallows
That is an artful phrase, and I'm going to try to remember it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So for anyone interested in this game that doesn’t own it, chrono.gg has the entire trilogy up - this and the original and Hong Kong all together - for $10 for the next 22 hours or so. Considering they each go for about $15 normally, that’s a hell of a sale.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
BBS chatter in the sourcebooks was great. The problem is that it can descend into "how are you, fellow teens" territory pretty easily.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Glazius posted:

BBS chatter in the sourcebooks was great. The problem is that it can descend into "how are you, fellow teens" territory pretty easily.

I seem to recall at least one intentional instance of this for humor value. Although it was more like "how are you, fellow hackers" in the instance I'm trying to remember.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's a bit unrelated but I don't want to risk spoilers by hunting down a current Shadowrun thread! For someone who wants to get the "most" out of the story/game in Shadowrun: HK, what build do people recommend?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, as per usual in these games, your team will provide most of the fun by being there on missions. They will cover you for your Decker/Shaman/Rigger/Street Sam (melee and gun) needs. So Adept or Mage if you want to fill a niche they don't.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

As someone stated to me earlier in the thread, you get a lot of karma but not a lot of nuyen (comparatively) in Hong Kong, so an Adept or Mage/Shaman is a slightly better option than a Decker or, heaven forbid, a Street Sam or Rigger. Past that, you have your core options covered in teammates, so a magic-based option isn't that bad an idea, though you'll have a moderately rough early game before you can reach the point where your survivability catches up to that of your chummers.

There's actually a lot of dialogue-based skill checks in HK, so running a charisma/etiquette-heavy diplomancer build is actually worthwhile; it's a lot easier to go quiet in HK than in Dragonfall or DMS. If you decide to go that path, invest in Shadowrunner, Security, and Gang in roughly that order, with Academic and Corporate filling in for the excess.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 13, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

As someone stated to me earlier in the thread, you get a lot of karma but not a lot of nuyen (comparatively) in Hong Kong, so an Adept or Mage/Shaman is a slightly better option than a Decker or, heaven forbid, a Street Sam or Rigger. Past that, you have your core options covered in teammates, so a magic-based option isn't that bad an idea, though you'll have a moderately rough early game before you can reach the point where your survivability catches up to that of your chummers.

There's actually a lot of dialogue-based skill checks in HK, so running a charisma/etiquette-heavy diplomancer build is actually worthwhile; it's a lot easier to go quiet in HK than in Dragonfall or DMS. If you decide to go that path, invest in Shadowrunner, Security, and Gang in roughly that order, with Academic and Corporate filling in for the excess.

Funny thing about Charisma in HK. The highest charisma check in the game is 6, and you can reach that with a natural charisma of one and a conjuring skill of 1 if you're so inclined (and being ok with never bringing any healing items with you :downs:). Though you would miss out on etiquettes so a little charisma is still a good idea. Outside of one or two situations however , there's not many things in HK that etiquettes can solve that something else can't.

I'd still recommend a charisma of 4, if only to pick up two etiquettes (shadowrunner and gang in particular provide some bonus karma), and a passive totem which is an awesome thing for ANY character to have.

That, plus an intelligence of 4 would actually get you past the bulk of all dialogues.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 13, 2018

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

mauman posted:

Funny thing about Charisma in HK. The highest charisma check in the game is 6, [...]

Funny thing about Charisma in HK. The highest charisma check in the game is 7. (Though it is questionable, that you even would use it.)

Natural Charisma 6 and 3 etiquettes can be quite nice. It is easy to maintain for single stat classes like mages or riggers. Just get some bioware or a magic charm for the 7th point to be sure.
"Academic" is a nice eti. for smarty-pants chars and some lore. The other two can be nice to get past combat encounters or to get additonal nuyen. (Gang+Shadowrunner or Shadow. + Socialite?)
Mages need Int around 3-4 for some spell requirements anyway. Might want some Biotech, too.
You could put some points into summoning to dable into spirit minions or barriers or do with a totem with a group heal or a passive boost. But hardly necessary.

Remember, that party members can make some observation checks for you. Your decker can make your decking checks, your shaman use astral projectionand question spirits and so on.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

OutofSight posted:

Funny thing about Charisma in HK. The highest charisma check in the game is 7. (Though it is questionable, that you even would use it.)

Natural Charisma 6 and 3 etiquettes can be quite nice. It is easy to maintain for single stat classes like mages or riggers. Just get some bioware or a magic charm for the 7th point to be sure.
"Academic" is a nice eti. for smarty-pants chars and some lore. The other two can be nice to get past combat encounters or to get additonal nuyen. (Gang+Shadowrunner or Shadow. + Socialite?)
Mages need Int around 3-4 for some spell requirements anyway. Might want some Biotech, too.
You could put some points into summoning to dable into spirit minions or barriers or do with a totem with a group heal or a passive boost. But hardly necessary.

Remember, that party members can make some observation checks for you. Your decker can make your decking checks, your shaman use astral projectionand question spirits and so on.

7? Is that the expansion? I actually can't remember that check :downs:

Though to be fair, my point was less the actual number and more the fact that you can get it with 1 natural charisma (still possible, though you'd have to throw in some bioware).

Also, agreed that academic is nice to have.

mauman fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 13, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Biotech is secretly a dialogue skill masked as a medkit booster.

Also the following update was again brought to you by the committee of "I initially meant it to be longer but it didn't work out" so it's a bit of a stub. We'll get to do things other than talking next time, I promise.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 07 - Even More Ways to Move Up in the World

NEW MUSIC:

(Sam Powell composed like three tracks which all sound like they were meant for a nightclub or something, but if memory serves this is the only one that can be heard in the game. Crank up the volume unnecessarily high if you want the Authentic Experience™)

Time to party! And if you ask me, nothing says "party" like looking over some juicy character statistics! Woo! Wild!

Eiger is a sturdy Street Samurai specializing in shotguns and sniper rifles with solid grenade-tossing skills thrown in for good measure. While this focus on extremely short and long distances causes her to have a bit of a mid-range blind spot, someone who can both give and take hits reliably is otherwise a perfect fit for our team. Alongside ourselves she is definitely going to be doing the majority of the heavy lifting in combat situations.

Ah, the trusty ol' Benelli Raffaello. If it was good enough for Sam Watts it'll be good enough for us. The rest of her kit includes a couple of medkits, a frag grenade and a phosphorus grenade, everything a good soldier needs on the dance floor.

Her cyberware includes an arm replacement which neither costs Essence or shows up on her character model. :iiam:

But enough gawking, let's see if the bouncer of this place is feeling cooperative.

[He looks up, gives you a cursory once-over, and sighs.]

Welcome to Das Kesselhaus, now under new management. Again. There's no cover. Just go on in and get your fix.

Have fun.

I know which side I'd place my bets on in the feud between the Zapp and Benelli families, but hopefully it won't come to that. This guy seems alright.

I'm looking for someone. Maybe you know him.

[He keeps his nose in his comic book.]

I doubt it. This place is filled with interesting people just dying to meet you. So go meet 'em.

Think any of these "interesting people" might know him?

Well he can't be that frank then can he

First things first, we head north to check the hotel elevator which to no great surprise won't let us pass that easily. Drone Control 3 does allow for rigging into the building's systems using the nearby panel and bringing the elevator down right away, but since that's not an option for us we'll have to look for some other method.

As we do our best to look around amidst the constant flashing of lights, one of the many partygoers invites us over.

Excuse me?

Come party with me! You've got some cram, right? I just *love* a lady that's willing to share...

Sorry, I'm not carrying any.

Well, then, go get some, okay? At the bar! I'll be waiting!

We'll see.

Perhaps some drugs will grease the wheels of progress then. Let's go check out the bar.

It's pretty hard to miss, being right in the middle of the floor. As we approach we come upon some sort of a kerfuffle between the bartender and a nearby ork.

Hotel's under new management, beautiful. You don't HAVE a room any more. Whatever was up there, you might as well forget about it.

But... but that was all I had! And I... you know... I have to get right. Soon.

Well, maybe we could work out a trade. Cram for services.

We got a real charmer over here, huh.

Services?

[Understanding slowly shows on the young woman's face. Her eyes go wide.]

C'mon, Kroner, you've got to be loving kidding me...

Do you want the cram, or not?

[The woman sets her jaw, a look of disgust on her pallid face.]

That ain't gonna happen, chummer. Not now. Not ever.

We're not here to solve the personal problems of every lost soul, but just leaving the woman at the mercy of that rear end in a top hat doesn't feel right.

There are a couple of ways to deal with Silke. The simple way is to buy her the cram she's yearning for from Kroner, though that isn't exactly what you'd call a long-term solution. So let's try to do some good here instead.

Y'know, a cram habit is a rough thing to shake. I know a place that can help you get clean, if you're interested.

Who, like, said that I wanted to "shake" anything? Look around you. Like what you see? Of course you don't. My life is better on cram, why would I ever want to stop?

Why indeed? There's a whole bunch of reasons we can give - Intelligence 3, Charisma 3 and Biotech 1 all allow for different arguments. The Street etiquette can also be used, meaning it has now had twice as many potential uses as it did in the entirety of DMS. We'll go for the scientific approach.

Do you know what happens to long-term cram abusers?

It's a new drug! There *are* no long-term abusers. And besides, cram is a study drug. It's not, like, a BTL or anything. It won't kill you.

Cram is an amphetamine. Keep it up, and your teeth are going to rot out of your head, but by that point you'll be too manic to care... assuming that your heart doesn't give out first.

I'm not surprised... like you said, it's a new drug. But what you don't know can still kill you.

Stop it. Please, just stop, okay? I don't need your help, and I don't want it.

[As strong as Silke's words are, her voice sounds unsure. From the way that she's fidgeting, you can tell that you've struck a nerve.]

Making someone see they have a problem of this nature isn't quite that easy, and we actually have to succeed at two of the above checks to hammer the point in. Let's harness the power of intelligence this time.

So do you want to wind up "working" for that guy?

I'll tell you the same thing that I told him: That AIN'T gonna HAPPEN.

Maybe not. But in order to keep feeding your habit, you're eventually gonna wind up doing something that you regret. Trust me on this.

What you've said, it... it makes a lot of sense.

[She blinks, steals a glance back at Kroner, and shudders.]

You're right. I need help. I'll uh... I'll take you up on your offer. But I should probably tell you... I've tried to clean up before. Lotsa times. Never really worked out.

Maybe you've just lacked the proper support. As it happens, we recently came across a place that might help with providing just that.

Take the tube to Kreuzberg, to the kiez they call the Kreuzbasar. Look for a man named Samuel Beckenbauer. He can help you.

It's about time I left this place behind... If I never see another Kroner again, it'll be too soon for me. Wish I could get my stuff back from my room first, though. Stupid gang, closing the whole hotel.

Fun fact: You can still offer her cram at this point, and then either take it back because it was "just a test" or have her take some because "one more hit won't hurt". You little sociopathic rascal, you.

Anyway, she seems to have a better idea of what exactly is going on in this place than we do. Maybe we can come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

Yeah, sounds like the "new management" stole your property. Answer some questions for me, and I'll help you get it back.

Really? That'd be... well, that'd be incredible.

[Her lips struggle upward into a facsimile of a smile.]

I really need that money, and I left some things in there, too. Y'know, personal stuff.

I can be very discreet.

My stuff should be up in Room 304. That's where me and Nadja and Sara were staying, until... Well, you know. I'll be waiting right here when you get back down. So, uh, what did you need to know?

Tell me whatever you can about the gang that's taken over the hotel.

The floor manager, Frank, had a thing for my girl Sara. He was always comin' onto her, no matter how many times she told him no. I haven't seen her since the takeover, but he won't stop asking me about her. Guy's a real creep.

Sure seems like a running theme around here.

That's about all I can think of. I steer clear of the new guys when I can.

[She steals a glance over her shoulder at Kroner, a scowl on her face.]

I shouldn't have to tell you why.

What about a guy named Green Winters? Heard of him?

Now that you mention it...

I don't think I remember seeing him leave, so he's probably holed up in his room. I'm pretty sure that there're still some people up there - the ones that the gangers missed. I hear they locked themselves in.

One last question. What can you tell me about the layout of the hotel?

Well, um. It's a nice enough place. Y'know, for a factory. Let's see... well, okay. The second floor is a security station. Lots of high-tech stuff up there.

You've gotta be kidding, another sealed vault? Can't we all agree to just put our valuables in treasure chests or something, at least they let you check for mimics beforehand.

Thanks, you've been very helpful.

Sure thing. Just hurry back with that stuff, okay? I really, really need it.

Well that was all good to know, but it doesn't get us much closer to actually getting up there.

As we turn around to have a chat with the sleazy bartender, we make a mental note not to pay for any drinks here.

I overheard your little conversation with Silke, there.

Hey, if she wants her cram, she's gotta pay. Same as anybody else.

Your bosses might like to know that you're jamming their customers in exchange for their merch. What do you think?

Tempting... but this guy probably isn't worth alerting Winters to our presence by starting a massive gunfight down here.

Now, do you wanna buy something, or not?

Fine, show me what you've got.

You got it!

In a game where AP gain is king, cram is what it snorts from on top of its royal scepter. With the tried and true combination of a hefty dose of amphetamine and an assault rifle, you'll clear an entire room long before you realize you weren't holding a water hose and those people weren't flowers in your beautiful garden.

But winners don't do drugs and nobody's winning more than us, so we only grab one as a souvenir for the girl from earlier.

I'm also looking for a guy who calls himself Green Winters. Know him?

[He eyes you suspiciously.] Think so. Might be staying upstairs.

How do I get up there?

You don't talk to me. Talk to Frank. He's in the back. VIP Lounge.

It's all coming back to Frank it seems.

Know what Winters looks like?

Old. He doesn't use, but he's a raging drunk. That's all I got.

Before going to see this oft-mentioned Frank, we return to the party girl from earlier in order to make the narratively very difficult to justify decision of giving her some cram literal minutes after helping someone else get rid of the stuff. Such is the fate of those without names or portraits I guess.

Hey! Good-lookin'! You're back! You got that cram yet?

Sure, why not? The cram's on me.

Ooh, that is so, *so* much better. I feel... I feel ALIVE again!

Isn't it nice to help people have a good time?

So, uh, how long have you been partying here?

Oh, a real long time! I go where the cram flows. Y'know?

[She raises a hand to her lips to stifle a high-pitched giggle.]

Yeah, this is a really great place! Well, it was a better place, before it got taken over. But it's not too bad now! It's still got cram, right? Hahahaha!

How do you like the guys that run this place?

Oh, they're terrible. The worst! Loud, violent drekheads with grabby hands. But they have the cram, so whatcha gonna do? The gang that used to run this place, now THEY were classy. They had this awesome stuff... it was like, if cram and novacoke had a baby, that's what it would have been. It was DREAMY.

At the very least it's not looking like we'll have to head straight in the middle of a heated gang war, seeing as how they had the courtesy to settle things before we got here.

How about the hotel upstairs, heard anything about it?

Please never say "giant bug" again, thanks much.

Oh! And I remember hearing stories about a crazy troll running around in his underpants. I don't think he had a name. He just ran around and broke things. Things were kinda wild before the new gang took over.

Evidently. Anyway, it's been fun, but I've gotta get going.

Oh, okay baby! You come on back any time! Just bring more cram when you do, okay?

We leave her to her fun and head to look for Frank, eventually spotting him in the east corner of the bar. Loading a save here apparently broke the dancing animations though, so all the dancers are just kind of standing there looking awkward.

I'm looking for a guy. Calls himself Green Winters. Know him?

[His face screws up with a look of disgust.]

Yep. Sad old bastard with a datajack that oozes somethin' nasty. Wears cheap glasses and drinks like a fish. What about him?

Doesn't sound like someone who's going to put up much of a fight. Should make things a little simpler once we find him.

I need to talk to him.

Well, that would be your problem, chummer. My problem is, I'm talking to you instead of watching Inga dance.

Let me rephrase that. I need to get into the hotel.

Hotel's closed. We're, uh... fumigatin' up there. Y'know, for bugs.

We're in Drogenkippe. You think I care about a few bugs? I need a room.

Look buddy, closed is closed, and that's what we are.

Alright, we're going to have to do some persuading again. We have no less than five potential approaches here, one of which includes simply attacking him right here and now which leads to a firefight with all the various armed people in the room. I'm not sure if we're ready to deal with the most dangerous game of all though...

On the upside you get an achievement for it and it gives you an excuse to waste Kroner, so there's that.

The less bloodthirsty methods include straight bribery (costing you ¥200), using Corporate or Gang etiquettes, or going for another Intelligence 3 check which requires having talked to Silke earlier. While we do have Corporate picked, we're gonna go with that last one.

Sara needs your elevator key. She says it's important.

[His eyes go wide.] Sara? She needs something from ME?

She sounded like she was in a bad way when I talked to her. If you care about her, you'd better help her out.

Okay. Yeah. Okay. I, uh... I can't leave the floor. On duty, and all that. And I can't just hand over the key. I can open the elevator back up, though. And you can let her know?

Almost too easy. But the reason we picked this method in particular was because with our Charisma of 5 (we picked Security as our second etiquette by the way) we can make a little addition here.

For 200 nuyen I could.

Makin' progress and getting paid for it, the best of both worlds.

Incidentally here's the less profitable but more entertaining Gang etiquette path:

quote:

I can see that you're running an operation here. I'll bet it's a pretty delicate one. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.

[He looks at you incredulously.] You threatenin' me? In my own club? That's a hell of a mistake, friend.

I'll second that bet. It'll go easier for you if you let us upstairs. We'll get out of your hair and become somebody else's problem.

Oh, and Frank? I *am* threatening you.

Just like he promised, the elevator's here now, and we can move on to somewhere that's hopefully a little quieter and easier on the eyes than this place.

And boy do we have choices. Will we find Winters? Or will we find a troll in his underpants breaking things? Are they in fact one and the same? Exciting!

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 13, 2018

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

All those different ways to solve problems makes it all the more satisfying to just go "FUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOU" and go in guns blazing every single time, drat the consequences. Especially after having already done a diplomatic-type run.

EDIT: And yeah, I've had my share of problems with Eiger's dead zone. There's one run coming up which has encounters that seem perfectly set up to gently caress with her - enough cover that you don't want to go really close, but too enclosed to get far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I wish that there was some sort of advice to keep some money before starting this mission, my first run had no choice but to murderize the gang which fails Silkes quest.
Also I never got close enough to meet "Herr Zapp".