Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Male ork mage named Vinnie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wedgekree posted:

Glory is awesome. Even as the team medic. She can AP Boost herself (it lasts for multiple turns, not just one) and is great to have as a healer. Also she's fun due o the razorclaws.

IIRC the claws pop people out of cover. Glory runs up to someone and scratches them, then a teammate unloads with an AR.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Everything feels like a pea shooter next to rifles, even a nice grenade launcher.

Jeff Cooper posted:

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 13, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

The only thing the authors knew about the historical Aztecs is that they practiced blood sacrifice, so now all of Mexico is the domain of a corporation that's also a neo-Aztec cult that kills people for magic power.

All the stuff about Aztec culture is manufactured by the corporation as an excuse. (Aztechnology is also a media giant so they've been reasonably successful at this)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dragons can now have way, way larger hoards than they used to. Used to be it all had to fit in a cave. Now it can be the size of a country.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think we can say that all the characters in Dragonfall and Hong Kong are the best character.

Except Blitz.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Weissritter posted:

I am curious, what if Monika had a doc wagon platinum contract or whatever the equivalent is? Will a Doc Wagon team suddenly bust in to try and rescue their client?

The mansion isn't registered for extraterritoriality, so yes they would try.
(In-game the contracts are just revive items though)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RedMagus posted:

I love that elf posers are a thing, because you know it's true. I haven't read about it but I'm sure there are also dwarf, ork, and troll posers, cause people gonna people.

Ork posers definitely, especially superfans of Neil The Ork Barbarian. Just need tusk implants and some vatmuscle.
Dwarf posers face greater amounts of surgery. And I'm not even sure how posing as a Troll would work.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

You're being pretty generous by assuming it was taken from somebody who was dead.

They're dead now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I dont know posted:

In a world of cyber and bioware, I'm sure that can be fixed.

We can rebuild them. We have the technology.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think Smartlinked weapons help cancel out some types of to-hit penalty.

The thing with sniper rifles in this game is that range penalties are reversed. If you can get enough distance then you can hit anything.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Poil posted:

This so much! They don't have to be completely equal but at least similar in power so there is a point in even having it in the rulebooks.

Incidentally shapeshifters are pretty terrible, the cost in karma during chargen is absolutely horrendous and you don't really get that much anyway.

Which edition? I seem to recall 4E shifters being pretty boss in human form, because you got very high physical attributes + regeneration. Never return to your true forn, it's useless.
5E shifters are terrible.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Magni posted:

Troll bow adept was a well-known and really drat powerful gimmick build in 4th edition. 5th unfortunately nerfed it quite a bit. Still, it's pretty funny, because you're basically this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Q5JTbJ4fo

Trolls are dangerous.

(n.b. per rules-as-written, the baby is fine)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't forget Mr. Lucky!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Lucky requires a bit of background in the system...

In Shadowrun, 'do you succeed or do you fail' is determined by rolling big fistfuls of dice. The better you are at something, the more dice you roll.
If there are complicating factors that make a task more difficult (such as trying to shoot someone while blind, in the middle of a hurricane, or with a monkey hanging off your arm) then this manifests as a penalty to how many dice you roll. You roll less dice.
If there are too many penalties then you're going to be reduced to a 'chance die', which is like rolling a single die but even worse. "Not a chance in hell", basically.

Now, Edge is a character attribute like Quickness, Intelligence, Body etc. It represents luck/preparedness/author-fiat/je-ne-sais-quoi - that ineffable quality that makes you a protagonist in life. You don't roll Edge under normal circumstances. Instead, if you really want to succeed at something you can spend one of your points of Edge to make your attempt better in a variety of ways. One of them is to add a number of dice to your roll equal to your edge score.
Critically, this step happens last. Right before you roll, and after the penalties have been applied. So no matter how big the penalties they can never reduce you below a chance die, and then you get your full Edge score in dice.

Mr. Lucky maxes out his Edge in chargen, and is a human (they get +1 edge as their racial schtick). This means 'his Edge score in dice' alone is enough to almost certainly succeed at something. Mr. Lucky can hang upside down from a fire escape and fire a pistol behind him with his left hand, while singing "The Star Spangled Banner", and ricochet the bullet through the ventilation system of an Ares Roadmaster and kill the driver. Despite having zero training in firearms. And being on fire.
He can do this seven times per play session.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kanfy posted:

DO you sssssTIll accCCcept d-d-doNATIONSSSSSS saMuelllll-SANNNN

We're still a few years early for SURGE aren't we?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Losing a limb doesn't reduce your Essence - your aura shrinks a bit, but remains fully intact.
Grafting a cyberarm to the stump does. A simple prosthetic like we have today wouldn't, but a proper one that interfaces with your nervous system and becomes 'you' disrupts your Pattern.

Strayed posted:

Does essence equate to soul?

That is entirely dependant on which religion you subscribe to. Someone's Essence rating is an objective, measurable thing. Some people say yes, we've now become capable of weighing the soul. Others say no, Essence is one thing but the 'soul' is a separate and ineffable matter.
Essence is not unique to humans / demihumans. Everything that is alive has an aura (including plants, bacteria etc).

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 5, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Really? I thought that even if you cracked their PAN you couldn't mess with something they paid essence for.

Post-2060s cyberware connects to the internet as well as your nervous system, and can be hacked. You can render it hackproof by gouging out the wireless antenna, but it's designed to be always-online meaning it now doesn't work as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

That's... quite the commentary

How are they supposed to collect data to sell to marketing firms improve future models if it doesn't connect to the internet?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Can you shove a crapload of Black IC inside your technoeyes to rain the pain on anyone that tries to blind you?

Generally they have to hack your phone before they go on to hack your everything. Filling your phone with ICE of all types is both possible and strongly recommended.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 6, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Plus, I think Snow Crash actually invented the idea of the skullgun, simply so it could make fun of how dumb it is.

That was The Diamond Age.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

One thing I don't get on Shadowrun... Is that do new dragons actually get born? Or is there just a continually dwindling number as they recreate(ish) the Highlander.

It is... not impossible... that Drakes are an immature form of Dragon. Dragons certainly seem to take an interest in them and their future.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I wonder if this Cycle is going to leave a mark in the form of AIs? One or more of them could potentially survive into the next Cycle and beyond, especially if AIs are nontasty to Horrors.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Quorum posted:

Magic is generated by a biosphere, it seems, and there's active research going on to see whether putting enough biomass in space (like on a station) would also generate a magical field. Going to space as a mage is traumatic. Going to space as anything explicitly dual natured is I think fatal.

IIRC mages are fine as long as they make no attempt to use any kind of magic whatsoever. Otherwise...
Explosive decompression of the soul

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Social engineering is the ultimate hacking technique. Unless you have a military grade cyberdeck with high end programs.

In later editions you can hack people's brains (If they're foolish enough to connect it to the internet, which many people are). Achieve your social engineering goals by first installing a personafix on them!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anticheese posted:

Don't they own a network of satellites that drop tungsten rods on threats/soon-to-be craters?

That's the Corporate Court. Even AAAs don't get to own private ortillery.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a cliff's notes of Malatora somewhere?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's also Mantis shamans who are.... occasionally, maybe slightly tolerated?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

kaosdrachen posted:

Especially not because so far experimentation with cybered animals has the side issue that it tends to drive the animals violently psychotic. This is not universally regarded as a downside or a detriment, except by runner teams that encounter one.

Occasionally this is dealt with by giving the animal additional implants that let a Rigger control it like a drone.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I didn't mind killing people. I mean, I was playing a runner. I'm pretty sure "Will kill 4 $$$$!" is on his business card. The problem is that he wasn't informed in advance.

Wetwork costs extra. You shouldn't let people get away with not paying the surchage by lying about what the job is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

God, I'd love to see Shadowrunners take on the Chicken Illuminati.

Shadowrun does feature animals-that-have-turned-into-people.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I dont know posted:

It must suck to be a chicken shape shifter.

It's way preferable to being a regular chicken.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 14, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

My dude have you heard the good news about Glorantha? In it, Elves are literally trees and are the least smug creatures around.

Dwarves, OTOH, are assholes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

It's not cyberpunk unless you're live hacking every camera in a 500m radius as you walk down the block :colbert:

I thought what I'd do is pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Joe, btw, is one of the lucky ones.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xander77 posted:

What's Shadowruns excuse for "whoops, just ignore all the countryside"?

It's either corp farms, deadly wilderness full of Awakened animals/plants/rocks, or NAN/Tir territory.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

^in later editions that's true. The vidcons are set in the wired era where a cop has to physically request and scan your ID.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tehan posted:

You can get a cybernetic torso, two cybernetic arms, two cybernetic legs and a cybernetic skull for a base cost of 6.25 essence,

That still leaves you with squishy organs inside the cybertorso, you haven't gone full Major yet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Good to hear Jonathan Frakes is still getting work.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Hell, she'd be a loving terrifying Mr. Johnson.

Isn't that precisely her role in the game? Hiring people to do 'jobs' for her in highly-dangerous areas, then taking 90% of the profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

You guys have it all wrong.

James Bond is simply someone's fixer. So of course when you want something done, you go to Bond. James Bond. Then he gets the shadowrunners and you get your problem solved.

Then he makes up a bunch of outrageous lies about what happened, which helps the real operatives to fade out.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 11, 2018