Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The free decker is fine in Director's Cut. But not worth arguing over again.

Troll Adept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
As I played a punching troll Adept, I used Glory as a pistoleer, which was okay on Normal at last. Didn't use her too much though.

I did find the +3 armour zone Dietrich can put down very useful though. When already behind good cover for the chance of 50% damage it really neutered a lot of potshots.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Never Deal With A Dragon is also one of the Shadowrun novels, and IIRC one of the better ones for being stand alone and having street level people caught up in something big. Though obviously that makes it have nothing to do with things than happen in the RPG. :D Or was it Never Trust An Elf? Don't have it anymore either way.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I did not get it, but well played.

Could you say it's a joke that works on.. many levels?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Stroth posted:

That's Rigger talk right there. We'll have none of that in our runners thank you :colbert:

Is it bad that my first thought here was "Cortex bomb" ?

I do agree, explosives in our runners is bad, especially if they are magically active.

Instead, lie to them and say C5 is the newest version of Kevlar as you give them bulky 'flak vests' for the big fight.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
In the Directors Cut, on Normal Difficulty, he (as far as I recall) face rolled all the matrix stuff including optional pay data with just a little use of tactics but requiring none of my nuyen and no decisions on purchases. So, in my mind, he basically fulfills the role of an NPC decker.

Admittedly as a troll PhysAd I'm not sure how much money I spent anyway. Even if adept powers cost money. Which I forget if that's kind of against the tabletop rules or not. Spells can be bought and sold (and researched for cash) just like hardware and software. But I always got the feeling adepts were just meant to assign their magic score to powers and be stuck with it.

Can you recruit Blitz without doing the vault?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Dikote(tm) had a lot to answer for. I seem to recall trolls could take down helicopters with javelins.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

Another good example of tech rules-lawyering the way magic works: to target someone with a spell, you need to see them with your eyes. This means that typically seeing them on a video feed from a camera doesn't count. But the critical component, it turns out, is that your eyes are seeing light that reflected directly off the target. So you could target someone far away with regular lens-based binoculars. Or, if you could get enough high quality fiber optic cable, you could use "cameras" that directly transmitted the photons that bounced off of people outside a building to a security mage sitting inside...

Even more fiddly. That only applies to Direct attack spells, like mana ball and stun bolt and that. IIRC.

Spells that summon bolts of fire, arcs of lightning and stuff, are aimed physically, but must also travel physically from you to the target. At least that's how I recall the Manipulation spells working. Maybe they could appear in a location targetable by magic.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I forget how I did this mission, other than some reloading to change nuyen spending and stat spreads so I could do it moderately cleanly, but that suit was my PhysAds clothes for almost all the game. The armour is good, I didn't want to buy charisma with karma. Great thing to grab.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Doing something like that to a captured runner makes me kind of want an XCOM2 rpg using Shadowrun rules.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Do they still have the chemical that makes any drug/poison/whatever be absorbed through the skin?

Does Lowfyr own Bad-Dragon.com ?

Should Troll mages get novelty cyberwear because they soak Lethal Drain better anyway?

And perhaps back on the earlier subject of 'How do not-shadowrunners live?' did anyone ever find a set of ganger rules that worked, and didn't just lead to everyone using Ares Predators as the only heavy pistol ever still?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

I dont know posted:

Only within the bounds of the contract. Conducting an ad hoc auction between the client and the target at the end of the run is frowned upon, professionally.

Considering that usually it's the client doing that to the shadowrunner (in the broader fiction as opposed to this game) that argument is a bit blunt in the tooth. See previous discussions about if Mr Johnson would/should screw you every time and how different writers and GMs come to different answers.

Also, if you wanted to blindly follow orders and 'be professional' you'd probably be in the military or a corp spec ops unit or similar. Bad luck covers some of it, but not wanting to sell all your soul is also a prime reason to turn runner.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hmm. No Lodge request for that mission? I wonder what would be worse, being asked to kill the rigger or to save him? Imagine if you had all the reasons the game gives but you also know it'll make the Lodge happy.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, the main thing addiction does to a Shadowrunner is just add like 10% to their to lifestyle costs and make them irrationally prone to murder like.... most PCs in most RPGs?

EDIT : Admittedly I mostly remember Shadowrun editions where having a penthouse apartment was pretty reasonable for a starting character.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Sure. But a VCR (Vehicle Control Rig) is already a big chunk of Essence so you are less likely to care about a little more for the comfort and convenience of cyberlegs.

Now I am imagining a Hermetic mage binding wind elementals to make a flying carpet because they don't want a wheelchair.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Working out that the barrier rating of a Safe is high enough to protect it and it's contents from C5 powerful enough to level the house is clearly the Shadowrun way.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, that’s the thing about The Adversary and toxic shamanism. The Adversary won’t punish blasphemy/profaning by relinquishing power, oh no. That’s too simple, too gentle. What the Adversary will do is give your worst enemies and best friends the power to draw and quarter you, and then make sure the process is so painful and arduous that you’ll beg for death to free you from it. A keener shaman might argue that Glory’s entire character arc has been a punishment for profaning The Adversary - not a punishment to Glory, mind you, but to Harrow.

Whether Totems/Spirits/HeraldricBeasts or whatever patron a Shaman (mechanic term) uses even exist I thought was deeply suspect? Like you could find a spirit or a great spirit who claims to be the Son of Raven or the Right Hand of The Dragonslayer, but breaking taboos and such could just as easily be an internal part of the magic users mind blocking their abilities I thought?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, like. Disco Elysium is great, but main thing your choices change is how you feel about stuff. Need to replay AP sometime.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
On another thought of grim fictional economic realities :-

Might Ulrich's gang still be cheaper than hiring a security/mercenary company (the difference in Shadowrun is kind of slim)?
Or even worse, might they still treat you better than a minor corp knowing you exist at all?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I forget if there's anything in the setting that is wandering around the Matrix as a boogeyman already. It'd be kind of hilarious for you to free the APEX and have it immediately get ganked by the spirit of the first Otaku or whatever.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Oh I was expecting APEX's big plan to be something else. Maybe it still will be. Finding out will be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
For some reason, with all the fly-by-wire stuff they were putting in Firewing, I assumed Apex was just going to ride the body like a creepy dracolich.