Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm going to be very original here and vote Decker, because not playing a decker means having to carry around an NPC decker with you at all times and that honestly blows.

Also, yay Dragonfall! This is my favorite game in the series and, after reading a bunch of setting lore, I like it even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The worst thing about D&D 4E was that it didn't diverge enough from 3E so it still had feat bloat, inventory bloat and sacred cow mechanics from the first D&D editions like the d20 and its six ability scores. It gets points for trying to follow modern game design principles, but it didn't try hard enough.

It also wasn't a failure, it was a financial success until the new director intentionally tanked it making crappy splatbooks so he could make 5E afterwards.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

mauman posted:

When I stated the mmo bit, I was mostly talking about the powers system which is a system that I rather despised. And it truly does feel like to me that they were trying to use MMO styled classes as a basis for the powers system. Now this is obviously subjective, but there is room for such a comparison.

Like instead of trying to think out of the box and roleplay an interesting combat (or non-combat for that matter), I now instead had a keyboard to press 1-0 for my powers with C/D's. It felt wrong. Like really really wrong.

"Pressing 1-0 for powers with C/Ds" is how casters always played in previous editions already so there is not that much of a difference unless you were playing a noncaster. With noncasters, you run into the issue where every turn your options are to either full attack or to use a combat maneuver that is always mechanically inferior (bull rush, grapple, sunder) unless you've made your entire build around using it, at which point you use it all the time anyway. If you're optimizing, there's no real element of choice, there is always an obvious answer for what you should do.

Giving everyone codified combat abilities changes the play pattern of combat and makes it more variable and interesting, not the reverse. It is far from perfect (people often either open up with their encounter powers and don't use dailies or use only dailies then go to sleep to refresh them) but having 4+ tools you can use at any given time, some of which are better than others at solving any given problem, is better than the alternative of having only one real option (noncasters) or having a batman utility belt that always has the perfect answer to every situation removing all tension whatsoever (casters).

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 26, 2018

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's back, bois!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Congratulations Kanfy, hopefully things continue that way!

The Kreuszbasar is probably my favorite hub in RPGs as a whole. It is a living, breathing entity and made me super interested in looking up Shadowrun splatbooks on Germany. Too bad that they were all in German. :negative:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Kanfy posted:

And the worst thing about the Kreuzbasar is always having to double-check whether you spelled it correctly.

GODDAMNIT :argh:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

As a decker/rigger player, I didn't really mind Blitz's gameplay issues much because I didn't have to take him with me and could hang out with all the other cooler characters.

Speaking of the rest, Dietrich may not be my favorite, but he's definitely the NPC with the best lines in the game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I love that it is pretty much impossible to figure out whether there's been a new update or if everybody is just gushing about the setting judging by the number of new posts. :allears:

I'm entirely unironic about this. I had no idea that psychotic cyborg bears and sea lion mermaids were a thing in shadowrun until today.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That pun at the end is so amazingly bad it loops all the way around to being good.

The runner hiring system is clearly a legacy from DMS that is mostly there even though most people won't even use it. I kind of wish more of the hireables were on the level of Lucky Strike so they'd be possibly maybe worth taking over your crewmembers if you wanted to speedrun the game or something like that. On the other hand, the last thing that the game needs are reasons to leave Dietrich ever behind.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I suspect I'm not the only achievement hunter that never saw Dietrich legit pissed off until this LP.

Kanfy is the monster we need.

Also the one we want, I guess.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Easily my least favorite mission in the game, what with all the fighting and the problems everyone else's mentioned in the writing, to the point I usually forget it exists. I honestly spent the previous update from the last thinking "wait weren't there basilisks in that building or did i imagine them" until I remembered this goddamn building has two floors and greatly empathized with Kanfy's plight at that moment.

It's all up from here though!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Bah, I'm backed by a great game and supported by a great thread, all I really need to do here is to show up. And I'm not always doing a great job managing even that.

But I do appreciate the kind words, knowing people have a good time is what keeps this thing going for me. Like it's a real dumb sentimental thing but at times when I feel like I can't for the life of me produce anything worthwhile no matter how much time passes, and wrapping things up for good starts feeling real tempting, I'm reminded of that one poster who said they registered an account specifically because of this thread. And then it's like gently caress man, I think it'd legitimately bother me for a real long time if I threw in the towel like that and let everyone down. Even if it's merely a dumb lil' thread in one dark corner of an ancient forum.

I imagine anyone who's done a project like this knows that feeling of occasional despair. Don't get me wrong here though, it's still good fun the majority of the time. Plus the remaining half of the game has a ton of cool stuff I've been looking forward to showing off pretty much ever since I started the previous LP.

Your jokes get a chuckle out of me every now and then. You're doing a good job.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Bansheenion is the name of my new giant robot anime.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This mission and the last one did a lot to endear Blitz to people who were sick of how crap he was in the original Dragonfall.

Also the ending to this update could not be better timed.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So meat grinder had a portrait hidden in one of the endings to the quest, huh.

I was pretty thorough in exploring the original Dragonfall DLC but I only played the Director's Cut once and didn't do much reloading to try other things out, so I'm looking forward to finding out Dietrich grows his hair back in the routes I didn't take or whatever.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

cigaw posted:

"The excruciating ecstasy of jacking."

New thread ti- hey wait a sec...

You sure know how to make a comeback. Glad to see you back!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So according to Aljernon mentors reward their apprentices with what's basically underwear and saggy pants.

I now understand why Absinthe is not that much more friendly than he is.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Status update: Update is 80% done and should be arriving Soon (not the ironic kind of Soon either)

Addendum to this status udpate: Combat-heavy updates are my least favorite and let me tell you, I'll be entirely happy never seeing another member of the Knight-Errant in my life.

This was the first run I did of the three that Amsel gets you and, man, same. It's the coolest mission of the three but holy moly is it long.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

And drat, that fight/those fights. is there any way to skip all that bullshit? Because I was on the cusp of reinstalling DF, then I read the update, and right now I'm all kinds of nope.

I think you may be able to ignore the mission if you perform exemplary on every single other one and hoard enough nuyen that you don't have to take it. Otherwise, no.

I can't help but love this mission despite all the combat. Honestly? It's not as bad as the run on the lab with the cockatrices. Combat goes really fast with the MK VI on your side. And unlike that run the writing in this one is much better and more satisfying, even if your only choices are about which hosed up ending you get.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I do love how this game makes a simple "do you want bonus XP Y/N" moment feel not just like a choice but an actual dilemma.

Even if we could make the MKVI and all of its data disappear (which we didn't do, as we handed over the thing already), somebody is bound to recreate it (esp. considering the staff that worked on it and its facilities are still around). The only proper method of defense is spreading out the knowledge of the MKVI so that proper countermeasures can be made, making cyberzombies not worth future investments.

Plus we give our employer one last middle finger for having lied to us. It's a win/win.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You gotta love that, upon being told by his ex to gently caress off and give her some space, Blitz's immediate reaction is to think "MY GIRLFRIEND IS TESTING ME."

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I dont know posted:

You will fill the Alice fund before going on all the runs. So one or two of them will end up as optional. Additionally, at anytime you have the option put some of your own money towards Alice which would let you skip even more of the money runs. It's nice the game gives you the option, but I can't imagine why you would want to skip content like that.

There's speedrunning, I guess.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I think I got the mediocre ending for this mission so I'm interested in seeing what I missed out on and what I did wrong.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The extras section got a chuckle out of me.

You know, after the depressed sigh at how non-futuristic the rampant poverty in Schattennest looks.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yeah this mission really feels like it was just a shoutout to the real lore-heads

much like in any other piece of media where there's a shoutout to the real lore-heads, it's extremely forgettable to anyone else and the loreheads react with an "oh, that's nice"

Thankfully this is a unique form of media consumption where, instead of being a disappointing wink and nudge, the shoutout leads to ignoramuses like myself learning cool new lore tidbits.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Eiger's failure path is exactly as disappointing with proper context as I remember feeling it was when I got it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The atmosphere of Feuerstelle is so good. You usually wander empty halls in these games half-expecting enemies to pop out of a door or around a corner and when it happens you just nod and get the obligatory combat out of the way, knowing you can take them and that there are no consequences for murdering your way through a mission. Not here. During this mission you're hoping you don't run into anyone or anything, because there are so many ways that entering the lion's den to rescue brainwashed teenagers like this could go wrong, there's only two of you and the game has done a great job of selling that the Adversary is something you don't want to gently caress with. The hallways of Feuerstelle feel that much more tense and threatening as a result.

I didn't have it in me to go through Dragonfall for a third time, and while I got the gist of the things I missed in this mission, it has so many variables that I'm sure there'll be something I had no idea about in this LP.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Totem spirits are one of my favorite parts of shadowrun lore but the way insect totems get treated is some "Orcs Are Always Chaotic Evil" nonsense. Insects pollinate flowers or make things like honey and silk, if anything several of them should be high-regarded for how industrious they are as people or for the positive effect they have on ecosystems. Meanwhile housecats are an invasive species of merciless murderers but their shamans are "just" selfish and manipulative, and don't get me started on actual dolphins vs dolphin shamans.

I'm okay with shamans drawing mostly from pop culture and largely positive interpretations of what their animals could be like as people, I just wish that applied to arthropods, arachnids, etc. I figure it's just a side effect from otherworldly bug spirits being such a big deal in the metaplot, but earthly bug spirits deserve love too. :smith:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Wait so the Mantid Shamans don't follow a singular totem called "Mantis", but rather indivual Mantid-class alien bugs? Huh.

I guess if I had to keep my nitpicking up I'd say that the name leads to confusion but otherwise I'm okay with this.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This path is much, much more in line with a traditional RPG than the Shadowrun-rear end way I went about this quest. Enough happy endings! Show us the bleakness of the non-canon zone!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Allow me to help us be closer to a new page by pointing out that birds are miniature dinosaurs and thus terrifying.

...Does Shadowrun have dinosaurs, at least in some kind of spiritual form? Feels like a missed opportunity to not have Velociraptor Shamans or some such.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ayup, that's a lot more like what I remember!

Man, I feel bad for the Glory from my playthrough now.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 24, 2020

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Huh. Just when I think we're about done with the content I didn't know about, turns out there's a whole bunch of stuff that was cut from the game. The surprises never end in this LP.

With that said, I think Mogens was present in the expansion version of the game? Or at least I vaguely remember seeing that dialogue when I was exploring the kreuz for the first time.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's weird how many diverging paths this mission has considering its small relevance to the plot. I was mildly curious about what I missed since it's so thorough, and even though it's a quick one I never bothered because... Well, we're about to run on Aztech. Both times I played I wanted to be done with my vegetables so I could get to the dessert already. The wonders of an LP!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, my first playthrough I got through this part with my decker elf by turning off the lights and passing the then-easier charisma check. I failed the stealth checks during the next bit and made it out before K-E's HTRT teams showed up, but I would've had to fight a bunch of them if the power rig didn't add a delay first.

My second playthrough I just picked up Security in chargen and I imagine everyone who played more than one run through this game also did that. It just makes everything so much easier.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This mission owns. Other missions may be more interesting and even more difficult but this is probably the most intense of them all because of how built up the importance of subterfuge is and how hard it is to get all the way to the end without triggering an alarm.

Gilgamesh255 posted:

...Wait, hold up. Are you telling me the Azzies' plan was essentially to jury rig up a version of that genocide spell from Order of The Stick?

Its inner workings would be much like Familycide but on a (thankfully) much smaller scale, yes. Also it wouldn't be instantly lethal, which is another small blessing even if it means they just want to use it for extortion and fearmongering instead.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I don't remember that happening either and in one of my playthroughs I got the achievement for doing all Shockwellenreiter objectives. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time I'm not remembering everything right in this thread. :shrug:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

:getin:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I know almost nothing about Shadowrun outside of the various lovely LPs on this forum and the disturbing parallels with the modern world, but it's a shame to me that the various content creators for the setting are so creatively... blah? For example, one obvious trope that leaps out to me in any very grim setting is one where, due especially to the actions of the protagonists, a new faction or nation or what have you springs up that offers a life away from the oppression. However, the goal then becomes defending that against the powers who want to make sure that people see no other option and crush anything that threatens their hegemony. Real life is full of countless examples of capitalism doing everything possible to sabotage, destroy and crush any competing economic system or even thought that the world might be different - I feel like such things practically write themselves.

Arguably, doing this would give the players an obvious protagonist faction to side with which would remove most of the nuance of living in the grim derpness of infinite edge that marketing trends have apparently decided is what sells.

A less charitable reason for it would be that they don't want the game to get "too political" because then they'd lose out on easy money from people going "Wow cool future!" without a hint of irony at every new cyberpunk product to consume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yes, good.