Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Regarding Plan 9 and 10, I think in one of the newer books there's a conversation that the Jackpoint admins created a forum SPECIFICALLY for Plan 9 and 10 to argue with each other.

Which they do for gigapulses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Here's an in-universe dump from a Mr. Johnson from run faster (fake edit: gently caress, Beaten)

Hi. My name is Mister Johnson. Nice to meet you.

I’ve said this to at least a hundred shadowrunner teams in my career so far. Some of those shadowrunners got a fair shake from me. Fair wages for fair work.

Some of those shadowrunners teams never saw a dime of the money I promised them because I sent them totheir deaths.

Johnsons, fixers, and shadowrunners. What a merry family we all are. Sometimes it’s worth taking a breath while you’re reloading. Pop your smartgun over the wall and take a look around. Refocus. If you’re reading this, you’ve done at least a job or two. Most likely you’re a seasoned veteran. So you have, by definition, dealt with a Johnson and almost certainly a fixer. These two categoriesare indispensable to your life as a runner, and they deserve a closer look.

Mr. Johnson is anyone who hires you to do a job. If I hired you right now to go buy me a soykaf across the street, I’d be your Mr. Johnson. That’s it. That’s the definition of Mr. Johnson. Not too complex at the surface, right? But in this little concept lie all the hopes and aspirations and fears of shadowrunners. Fact is, in the vast majority of cases you are doing something illegal for Mr. Johnson. Sometimes it’s a little illegal, or at least a little grey area. Sometimes you’re doing something horribly illegal. And it is due to this little fact that a Johnson is so much more than just the person hiring you. By hiring you to do something illegal, Mr. Johnson is just as guiltyof the crime. He becomes a criminal. He exposes himself to repercussions. To protect himself from the law, he must slink through the moist cracks between the rocks and come live with the creepy crawling things of the night, just like you.

And because Johnsons are humans, they react to this situation. The social covenants we call laws no longer apply. Mr. Johnson breaks the law, so he can no longer be protected by it. The Johnson is thus now entirely responsible for his own safety. This is where all your troubles come from. Because no matter what, it’s personal. I know I have said it—”Nothing personal, chummer.” But that isn’t really true. To some degree or another, it’s almost always personal. Mr. Johnson risks his freedom and, more immediately, his life every time he dips in and deals with shadowrunners. That means he’s going to seek to protect himself, and this is going to dictate his reactions to the engagement. Johnsons are to a degree
stereotypical. It’s true. You can say it, doesn’t make you prejudiced. Depending on the Johnson’s background, you can expect certain things from him. We’re going to get back to that later.

Basically, here's how it goes. Let's say Mr J hires you to retrieve the prototype of a new format for hot-sim chips. Minor league stuff, as this kinda thing goes. If it's quiet, the Johnson's liability is limited. The only thing he really needs to worry about is that the other corp figures out who ordered it, and puts him on a watch list (either to track, or to recruit.. a good Johnson is worth his weight in Nuyen). Usually, you don't target other Johnsons for elimination.. too much risk that it will be tracked back to you and then you become fair game.

But, let's say you had to cack three guards and blow up some corp property to make your getaway. That Johnson is now on the hook for TRIPLE MURDER (because he hired you, he'd be legally liable for your actions), as well as the corp damage. And also, loud runs like this give negative PR for the corp. After all, if you hear a story "Unknown intruders kill four at Wuxing shipyard, before escaping", that's probably going to chill any desire you have to use Wuxing shipping, won't it?

So, it's not nice and neat and quiet, that means there are loose ends to be tied up. That means YOU are the loose end to be tied up.

That's why usually loud/noisy Johnson ops are to be avoided unless you have a good rep with your Johnson (and a hidey hole just in case). Basically, you're about to make a big splash in that world, and if you get caught and sing, they know right where to go to ask pointed questions. Pointed with a dikoted monosword level questioning.

Johnson's aren't serial villains, they don't usually just betray teams and have them taken out so they can keep the money. Usually, it's either payback for something gone wrong, or to limit the Johnson's personal liability. Johnsons who kill their teams too often don't have a long shelf life. Sooner or later, one of those resourceful runner teams are going to find their way out of the death trap you put them in, and shadowrunners (read: people you've hired because they're skilled in sabotage, mayhem and destruction) tend to take betrayal.. personally.

edit: While some of the new shadowrun fiction levels are.. variable, I found this to be a good story about a Mr J finding himself on the other side of the shadows.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/133828/Shadowrun-Nothing-Personal-Enhanced-Fiction

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 12, 2018

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Actually, one of the things that made me laugh in a bit of fiction, was a Technomancer Cat. Namely, one that hangs out with Slamm-O, Netcat and their kid. After quieting down an alert caused by the cat wanting the kid to leave him alone, Netcat thinks again about restricting the cat's access to the network. Then she decides it;'s better not to, because the cat would find SOME way of showing his disapproval.

(and the story's funnier for another reason, the reason why Netcat and Slamm-O are having a conversation that gets interrupted by the e-cat alert is that somebody in universe wrote a Rule 34 Fanfic of Netcat and a toaster. And netcat is.. not amused.)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 1, 2018

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The first thing I do if I ever hit the lottery is get the Payday guys to make a Shadowrun game where you do runs Payday style

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Anticheese posted:

Please go on about this. :allears:

BEST EVER
An Eighth World Adventure
A product 45 years in the making! Though most of those years were concurrent!

As BattleTech celebrates its 25th anniversary and Shadowrun celebrates its 20th, the visionaries at Catalyst Game Labs have, for the first time ever, brought these two worlds together! Join us in a universe that combines the best of two fantastic game universes in a tournament to decide who is the best warrior of all time!

Many warriors have fallen, and only four remain in the Best Ever Tournament: Kieran McCool, the wily immortal elf who pilots the most feared 'Mech on the battlefield; Asmodeal el Angel de la Muerte, the Manei Domini blood mage who is so evil that his mere presence destroys all photons in the immediate vicinity; Nadja Daviar, a refugee from the 21st century who has lost none of her wiles or extreme sex appeal; and newcomer Jonas Hadry, a MechWarrior and battlefield commander so charismatic and beloved that it seems that possibly the deck was a little stacked in his favor.

The Best Ever is a bold venture that bridges two universes. Exciting, visionary, and often a bit deranged, this is the project that no one was asking for but everyone will love!

Contains a summary of the new Eighth World setting, nine new character archetypes, and a roleplaying adventure that involves your characters in the excitement, glamor and sheer ludicrousness of the Best Ever Tournament.

The Best Ever is kind of compatible with Shadowrun, 4th Edition, and A Time of War: The BattleTech RPG, elbow grease to make fully compatible not included.

edit: Jason Hardy is/was the SR head during that time I believe.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 8, 2018

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Stroth posted:

Try to blend in apparently. Harlequin has claimed that he met Richard the Lionheart during the Third Crusade and that he lost his ear in a duel with another elf in renaissance era France.

He did lose an ear (to Ehran the Scribe). He made up for it by defeating Ehran in a modern duel, and taking Ehran's daughter (Jane Foster) as an apprentice.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Stroth posted:

The only witnesses to that event are immortal elves. I'm gonna go ahead and take that story with a grain of salt. Especially since chal'han (the ritual immortal elves use for dueling) not only requires that both people involved work only through intermediaries that have no idea what is going on, but also ends with the loser either completely physically unharmed, or dead, depending on which version they're doing. (Fun part: the person being challenged to the duel doesn't get to know which version they're using until the end) There's no middle ground for "I cut off your ear and left it at that" allowed.

Personally, I'd guess that the story is complete bullshit to cover up something embarrassing and Harlequin is paying back the favor by training the dude's illegitimate daughter. Or that their "glorious duel" was something closer to "drunk rear end bar fight".

Well, the modern day one was witnessed by non immortal elves I think (yeah, it was part of the first edition adventure Harlequin)

edit: Actually, both were witnessed by non-elves (the beginning of the Harlequin adventure book was the recollection of the person seconding Ehran)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 21, 2018

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I think it was...

Alamais, who is Lofwyr's brother and eternal rival. I know from reading the fiction "Night's Pawn" that Alamais was working with gangs and political clubs to try to keep Lofwyr from consolidating too much control over Europe

Dude's tough..

He took an orbital strike in Night's Pawn and survived. However, his rivalry with Lofwyr has come to a fatal end in a major world event later

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I know they have a couple board games that are kinda like what my dream game is, but in my dreams, I've created a Mr. Johnson Simulator, where the corp gives you a mission. "Our new gun line is so bad we'd be laughed at if we introduced it now. We need 90 days to refine the design. Meanwhile, three other corps are going to release prototypes in that time frame. Either delay them, steal them, or sabotage them. You have a mission budget of 200,000 Nuyen."

And then be open-ended with do you hire a team to go in and sabotage their factories quietly? Do you have them plant explosives at the security, so they have to deal with public backlash? And wouldn't it be nice if you could get your armored limo gold-plated.."

Then the runners do their thing, and then you have to decide to pay them or not, especially because they're loose ends. However, talented shadowrunners don't grow on trees (if there were any trees left in the cities), so by capping them, you're reducing the talent pool.. and if you FAIL to kill them, they'll have reason to gently caress with you. And if word gets out you're a dirty back-stabber, then runners won't like to work with you, meaning you might be replaced...

So, you're trying to hire the best runners for the cheapest amount (use the money left over as a personal bonus), and then doing the risk/reward of "What are the odds I can save myself 100K Nuyen by geeking the poor sons of bitches. Might be dangerous, after all, they just waltzed through the best security (megacorp name here) could send at them..."

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
He submitted a fake purchase order for the collector's edition. It cost him one of his old decks (fried when he tripped RenrakuJList's IC), but what price can you put on memorabilia?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I remember the first year Shadowrun Returns was out, they had a hack-a-thon event at GenCon. I entered on a lark When it came time to do it, I decided that I was just going to do a quick three four room thing, after all, we only had 3-4 hours to generate. All the other designers forgot to KISS (Keep it Simple, Stupid), and they were trying all kinds of environement triggers and stuff I was the only one to complete the design, and won the trophy almost as a default (it was a trophy of Officer McClusky from the original game.)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

I dont know posted:

Do you still have it, or a picture of it at least?

it actually broke on the way home from GenCon

[img] https://imgur.com/a/CQ92RRzp/ [/img]

Sorry to take so long to reply.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
"Waiting for an affirmative Response from the Probe IC"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Rumor has it that they immediately started on the MkVII.

(they named it after the petname for the latest Battletech DLC: Urban Warcrimes)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I was reading the Shadowrun Returns LP, and I came across something interesting.

Did anyone mention the fiction book Lone Wolf and Lynne Telestrian?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Kanfy posted:

There was definitely talk about the Telestrians but I can't recall if that specific book came up.

The events that they talk about (the destruction of one of their factories) happened in that book.. where Lynne works with the book's character to destroy the factory as part of the Inter-Telestrian war.. because the Telestrian folks (along with Lone Star) decided to test out a bio-agent against the Cutters gang (which kinda torqued off the main character, seeing as he was undercover with them at the time.

edit: So the Telestrians have one go insane with the Bug Queen, the other likes to field test bioweapons/plagues on gangs. Great family. Can just imagine their family dinners.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Horizon's also the creator of Persona 2.0. Imagine Facebook, twitter, youtube, livejournal and twitch all rolled up into one, and the two things you're judged on your P2.0 (pronounced Pito, which has some hilarious connotations) rating is your centrality (how many degrees are you away from User 0, the aforementioned Horizon CEO), and your popularity. IE, how many people are tuning into you at any one time. Some people livestream their lives all the time, some runners actually have a P2.0 feed (that requires an off-site decker to blur out any incriminating logos or landmarks, so the watchers know you're on a run, but don't know that say, you're on the 18th floor of the Renraku Arcology).

One of the fictions about it involves a Johnson who is meeting up with a team, and on the way there, he checks his P2.0 rating, as everyone's tuning in to see if he screws over the runners (like he did the last team).

Turns out that the runners he's going to meet up with know about his reputation, and ambush HIM instead. In the last few lines, he notes that his P2.0 rating had gone from 0.03 percent to 1% (indicating the percentage of people on the P2.0 network actively watching), and then the last lines..

From somewhere beyond the blinding lights a laser sight stabbed out and traveled up his body, stopping over his heart. Out of the night, a woman’s voice called out mockingly, “Are you ready for your close-up now, Mr. Johnson?”

Alejandro’s popularity peaked at 11.8 percent. For almost fifteen seconds, he was finally a star.

edit: This was also one of the big shows being casted live from LA:

Temptation Teams—A new reality show pitting runners against each other. Each week, two new teams are assembled and pitted against each other for the big payoff. Watch as they scramble to plan and execute their run before the opposition beats them. Teammates spend every moment together, and the friction can be HOT! Will they play nice … or naughty? Cooperation … or backstabbing? Viewer votes will determine which teams are given valuable clues leading to the big payoff, and which teams receive bad info leading to the corps, cops, or ambush by opposing teams!

Your vote counts—watch now, vote often! Two hour live finale every other Friday!

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 16, 2020

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
It would also make a fun Shadowrun campaign, PBP or otherwise. 2 teams, and onlookers can vote on who gets what :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The funny thing in the book it's presented, other runners are like "Please tell me this isn't real.. that there's a city where instead of being dead-quiet and blending in the crowd being great, where the best run is one that no one ever knows about, we have this? Where "runners" broadcast their runs AS THEY'RE DOING THEM???" (nine billion facepalms)

(I kinda felt like it was a bit "Doth protest to much", I mean this is from a message board that has frickin Kane as one of their top posters)