Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I ran Hong Kong as a mono whip Sam and it was a blast. Especially after you get the Panther cannon - one action to whip someone out of cover and the second to execute them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

That's the Corporate Court. Even AAAs don't get to own private ortillery.

...that they admit to.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Clearly you just need a bunch of basilisks.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

For a little cash and no essence loss you can get body parts cloned from yourself too.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Oh, man. I'd forgotten Winternight was in the game.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

HardDiskD posted:

I think the thread has posted about the Adversary before when we talked to Glory before, but can we get the tldr on him again? I know he is bad juju, but IIRC it was in a pretty hosed up way.

The Adversary is basically Christian Satan. Mentor spirits aren't strictly good or evil, so in a good light he's all about rebellion, standing up to authority, protecting what's yours. In a bad light think manipulation, betrayal, enslavement.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Is it possible to switch totems? Like say a shaman is all about the Adversary as a teenager, but once he grows older, he wants to start a family, buy a small apartment and spend his evenings watching the news- could he just switch over to the Scribe or something? Maybe placate the Adversary with an offering of manager heads or something?

This is a little missing the point. You don't make a conscious choice of a mentor, you fall in with one in outlook and attitude.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Mantis are only barely an exception. They don't build hives and spread like the others, and they kill other insect spirits to the exclusion of all else, but they're still alien monsters brought to life at the cost of metahuman souls and would have no qualms about bombing an orphanage to minorly inconvenience an enemy.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

I've always felt that retaliation against 'runners is often way overblown. Unless you're rolling at the highest levels whatever mid-tier exec in charge isn't going to have the resources to hunt down and strike a team, and even if they did it's probably better for their career to cover it up rather than go full homicide.

Even if they do want some shadowrunners dead and know where they are, actually murdering them is a big ask. Extraterritoriality only extends to their property. Bringing the kind of firepower you need to off a team of runners is going to raise a whole ton of eyebrows, and that's something to be avoided.

I kind of like the idea of extraterritoriality as a double-edged sword. Sure, it's subject to only Corp law and oversight, but that also means only the Corp is responsible for defending it. Once you're back into city jurisdiction there's not a *lot* they can come at you with without raising more trouble.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

I really kind of wish there was a way to set off the alarm and then pretend to be the KE team coming to investigate it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

I do like the implication that you can be forced to tell to him everything, which probably takes a little while - and your companions just hang out and listen.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Great Dragons are also extremely vindictive and can be very pretty. Doing work for one is pretty often working against another, and they're less likely to respect the shadowrunner code than a corp might.

It's asking for trouble.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

I mean, sure. If you’re into that. Myself, I probably wouldn’t risk saying that to a Great Dragon’s face, you never know if they’ll take offense, y’know what I mean?

Don't judge my sexy Shadowrun Discord servers.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Freedom! Big scaly things are cool and good and friend.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Alacron posted:

Okay real talk, who here would take up Herr Brackhaus on his offer? Whether from a role-playing standpoint or a player standpoint.

From an in-universe standpoint, absolutely. Dragons are incredibly secretive - what you know about Firewing and the manor are enough for Lofwyr to assassinate you five times over. Being useful is your way out of that trap.

"Don't deal with dragons" is a smart adage, but the ship has sailed on that one. And besides, if you're quick, lucky and good maybe you thread that needle and come out filthy rich. Shadowrunning writ large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

The basic idea of the (x) World in Shadowrun is that magic ebbs and flows. When it's very high the Horrors come in and wreck house until magic fades almost to nothing. Magic creatures like dragons die or hibernate and the manasphere rebuilds.

Something is wrong with the specific cycle in Shadowrun, however, and the Horrors are coming fast and strong. Nobody knows why yet, but at least some of what the Great Dragons are up to is trying to stem the tide. That's why Dunkelzahn killed himself, as part of a blood sacrifice / warding spell.

No Greats means nobody holding back the tide.