Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

It's been about a year since I've been so excited to catch such utter garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Finally got an EX pass for the Starbucks near my home. 5:00 PM on a Monday. I can get back in time but why not just do them on a loving weekend?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Solvent posted:

No, but I had a guy sperg away from me and my wife when I asked him if he'd walk two blocks over to do a Lapras raid with us.
Was he aversive to walking with you two or did he go on about how Lapras isn't good in the meta and how it's a waste of a raid pass etc?

I wish someone would ask me to do a Lapras raid; it's the only non-regional/legendary I somehow don't have from Gen 1 and 2.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

So what should i be aiming for in the pokedex? 305ish 'seen'? I've seen all the gen1 regionals and had complete dex pre gen3.

Gotta
Catch
'Em
All

No exceptions.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

People dumping 200+ rare candies into the first Slakoth they hatch is pretty funny considering its useless as both an attacker or defender. But then again thats 200 more free bag space :thunk:
Some people are just stuck in the mindset of having the highest CP in a gym I guess. Still see Blisseys everywhere despite being trivial to dispatch now.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

blisseys are still the biggest bitch to fight and if someone is remote golden berrying them you can't do poo poo
You can fight even a Dazzling Gleam Blissey with one Machamp. If someone is remote berrying it's gonna suck no matter what it is.

I had someone do it to me and whatever. Thanks for the extra gym points.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Switch to Sprint and get $100 in poke coins!

lol

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

AirRaid posted:

It's almost as if the automated system isn't programmed to recognise public holidays.
It would also be stupidly easily to program in exception dates, especially for a major family-centered holiday celebrated around the world.

Everyone was out and about today and I've ended up doing 5 Groudon raids. He's got a low catch rate but his animations are pretty forgiving compared to the other legendaries; no jumping attack and hardly any back to back animations. I was scoring more excellent throws than I've been able to on any other raid.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I don't even care about the abilities, just give me that bird and monkey(or whatever Smeargle is) already. Not like they're going to rank in the meta I just want to fill that gap.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

So it's a part of the daily bonus, except when its not. Gotcha
No, it's part of your daily spin bonus full stop

If you already received your daily bonus before they went live then you don't get it today, because you already received your daily bonus.

It's silly but it's not complicated.

seiferguy posted:

What's the ring lock trick?
If it's what I think it is:

The circle has to be a certain size to trigger an excellent throw and in general the smaller the circle the higher your catch rate. The circle only changes size while you are activating the poke ball AND the pokemon is able to be captured, that is to say not in an attack or jumping animation.

So if you hold down and let go on the ball you can see the circle will be the same size from when you let go to when you touch it again. The trick is to hold down on the ball until you get a small enough circle and then let go. Then, you wait for the pokemon to perform an attack/jump animation. During the animation you can touch the ball and charge up a curveball. If you throw the ball at the very end of the animation you can hit it right as the capture window opens back up with an excellent throw because the circle size hasn't changed.

Doing this trick allows you to both control the size of the ring and time your throw more easily. You're not in a panic to spin the ball and throw it when the circle gets small because the size is set and you have the attack animation time to wind up. With a bit of practice you should be able to always score at least a great throw on legendaries without worry of the ball being batted away.

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 23, 2017

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

due to snow, took over an hour to get a raid setup and completed, what a loving mess. legendaries shouldn't happen during winter or at least shouldn't rotate out
Yes, because the entire Earth is covered in a foot of snow currently.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Ballz posted:

So is it a thing to knock people out of gyms at 11:59 pm? I swear it happens to me at least once a week.
I get knocked out at like 11:50 all the time. Serious dick move but oh well.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Oh and apparently Seviper/Zangoose have switched regions, not sure if that was mentioned in here yet.
Can confirm, caught a Seviper this morning in North America. Were they the only regional switch?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Psion posted:

My plan to attach my phone to a quadcopter and software-limit it to just under the GPS speed limit, yes, yessssss
Do people still run their phones on little rail setups to hatch eggs or did they just move to abusing GPS drift?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Worst is you can't even mass transfer them.
I was clearing out all my event pikachu the other day and accidentally transferred a shiny pichu because I was just just madly clicking through the popups. :downs:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

BrainMeats posted:

Condolences if you still wanted to catch a Groudon.
Ya, they're giving us roughly a month to catch these guys, plenty of time for casuals to get one and hardcores to get a perfect, but they originally said Groudon until January 15th right? Kind of a dick move to switch it out, unless Groudon will still be around just with Kyogre also spawning.

On the other hand, having a Saturday as the first full day with Kyogre will let a lot of people easily jump in on the initial rush.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

financially racist posted:

so i decided i'd go and trash a bunch of crappy mons with sub-90% ivs i've been pointlessly holding on to (poo poo like 84% iv seakings and whatnot) and boy oh man why the gently caress did they change it so that any time you do anything to your pokemon it resets all the way to the loving start of the list. this is irritating as gently caress and i hope it's just a bug that they fix.
This bug, hopefully not feature, has been around for a few weeks now. I hope it is changed before the next time we get double xp because that's going to kill efficiency for mass evolves. It was a pain when I was clearing out old garbage the other day as well.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Number the Pokemon you plan to evolve, i.e. name them 01, 02, 03 etc up to however many you get. Then chance search pretended to A-Z, then in search, put "evolve" which will only bring up Pokemon with enough candy to evolve, so as you evolve each one they'll disappear from the list. If you're doing multi-devices, don't number the trash mons (pidgeys, weedles, etc) and have them sorted by pokedex.

I have 200 Pokemon to evolve that weekend so I'm trying to figure out how to filter for the 3rd device. I'm thinking reverse alphabet and name things ZZ or something then start from the bottom and work my way up, but I think I'd get screwed by the same issue.
I've thought about ways to work around this with naming and sorting, but gently caress if I'm going to spend the time to do that for 400 pokemon. My time would be better spent just paying $1 for an extra lucky egg.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

seiferguy posted:

I live well north of Seattle, so raids are few and far between and I rarely see enough people gather for a level 5 raid. I work in Bellevue, so that's my best bet, and it's never the same people at the raids. As much as I would love to leave work for over an hour and a half to grind down a gym, I'm usually not afforded that luxury when I'm at my job :shrug:
I'm not sure how tight you are for time after work, but Bellevue and Redmond have very active raiding groups. Check out the RainCityPoGo discord if you haven't.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I too have only caught a random Breloom that spawned on me while fighting a gym.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Sync up 2/18 to be Day 1 of your catches. Hold off until triple stardust time on the community event before your first catch, and it should be pretty fab.
Do stardust pieces affect the daily bonus? If so you're looking at quite the bounty. You also have to consider your play habits and whether realigning your streak date will be a net gain.

The next community event has me considering buying a gotcha or something now. I was overwhelmed by pikachus Saturday I couldn't catch all of them as I was going about town.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Every move that a Pokemon learns end game is one that they could learn from previous games, but they don't include every move that they could potentially learn. It's just a really weird pick in my mind.
Ya, it's not even a case where it's a counter to water and grass types or something.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Corsola’s area is defined by longitude, isn’t it? It’s only available in the tropics or something.
Ya, as said you can catch Corsola in some very southern parts of the continental US and Hawaii too. Heracross, a South American regional, can be found in the southern portions of Texas and Florida as well.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I'm 1/1 on Kyogre, but he's got straight 10s for IVs.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Purposely giving out passes thousands of miles away to honeypot spoofers. Duh.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

gently caress off if you think randomly getting your pokemon stolen is a good or interesting mechanic.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Don't forget that Feb 24th is the Dratini community event. That's your best chance to get a silver or gold on the dragon badge.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

11 of my 13 evolved hariyamas have steel quick moves. what the heck is wrong with this dumb game

Niantic out to get you again.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

So I put Evolve into the search to see what I had enough candy to evolve, and my Dittos are showing in the list, wanting to evolve into Raticates and Golbats.

That's a new one. I'm afraid to see what happens if I actually hit it.
I've got a few dittos but none of them have an option to evolve. I say try it and see what happens!

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

A woman I trust on our raid group was able to get a second device and log in for me at the ex raid I couldn't get to. I'm now the proud owner of a 98% 14/15/15 Mewtwo :toot:
Trash it.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Well, I have been to raids where level 35+ people didn't know about or couldn't throw curve balls. There is a certain level of suck you can achieve, but it's still mostly RNG out to get you.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but since the weather update hit I noticed they changed the shaders in game and it makes some pokemon, namely Forretress and Psyduck, looked blazed out of their minds.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Why the gently caress is it called wafu
I couldn't find much relating to Pokemon Go, but I did find a Wikipedia entry on Japanese style dressing.

sebzilla posted:

We're All loving Unsane

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Psion posted:

well let's see. 123 raids, let's be optimistic and say they floated a pass from the day before (lol) ...that's still 121 premium raid passes, or 6 boxes + 1 pass, 8980 coins.

if you buy a hundred dollars worth of coins that's "only" $62 worth, otherwise to get as close to exactly that much it's $71. Let's be real and assume every single person doing this was flipping a hundred into it though.

e: this is USD, I don't know the CAD prices for the game to see exactly how much we should shame Toronto's raid group

Hey, maybe they just spent the last six months hoarding coins for that moment :v:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Can you only evolve PorygonZ from a Porygon and not Porygon2? I scored a weather boosted 100% Porygon from a raid and evolved it already.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Got an EX raid pass for a Saturday afternoon. Blessed!

It's at the same gym I got my first EX pass at.

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 9, 2018

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I've done 57 legendary and 38 normal raids total and this is my second EX pass.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I'm not sure on PvP. Unless they completely overhaul this game from a clicking simulator I don't think the combat system is deep enough to be satisfying.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Nah, gently caress anyone who doesn’t even respect a 10 minute rule of honor. Kids, sweet old grandmas, whomever. It’s not like you were taunting the kids to their face over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I was only able to run a few Lugia raids and they all ran on me. I'm happy they brought Lugia back for a bit. Not everyone has been playing the game since launch or even since Lugia was last in eggs. Congrats you have 20 of them already, not everyone does. Sure does suck that you don't have to spend $1000 on raids this month. They're going to have to cycle through old raids eventually for people.

• Locked thread