Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Death of the author binch, the movie owns
As a David Lynch movie, it's alright (though not his best work, because the De Laurentis' got their fingers in the soup).
As a Dune movie, it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Murray Mantoinette posted:

I can't wait to have to spend paragraphs explaining this to the chat group, bereft of both Dune and Starwars fans, that I just inadvisably pasted this to

Well there's your mistake. Never explain yourself.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

As a David Lynch movie, it's alright (though not his best work, because the De Laurentis' got their fingers in the soup).
As a Dune movie, it isn't.

I got into reading the dune novels because of the Lynch movie. I don't think i'd of got into them from watching the more faithfull sci-fi channel adaptation.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've said it before but I never watched Dune before, until last year, and despite being a life long Dune fan I really enjoyed it.

The third act is a mess and mostly a collection of montages however. Some cool moments tho.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lynch Dune Theater Cut is Good. This is known.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

David Lynch's movie, which at one point he didn't want associated with his name because he and the executive director had a disagreement until it turned out that it was actually making money, is a film loosely based on a cursory glance at Frank Herbert's book - nothing more.

I suddenly have this craving to see Paul Verhoeven's take on Dune.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol Jessica shows full nudity and Paul rips people in half

a PT Anderson Dune would just be a sietch orgy scored to Steely Dan

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zopotantor posted:

Cutscene with other Kwisatz Haderach attempts tearing their faces off.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zopotantor posted:

I unironically want his take on the chapter epitaphs as in-universe propaganda

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Verhoeven would have shown us the stillsuit catheters

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Who taught you how to wear catheter desert style, Paul?!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
well i guess that's it then.

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1394428351486468097?s=20

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is the best news I've read in quite a while

Entertainment wise at least

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Is it? Surely the planned simultaneous release gave everyone what they wanted. Personally I wanted to see it first at the imax then re-watch at home; now I can't.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ehh i'm not down for theaters anymore and i get why the dude wanted it and all but i won't be partaking. just means i'm waiting longer

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Riot Bimbo posted:

ehh i'm not down for theaters anymore and i get why the dude wanted it and all but i won't be partaking. just means i'm waiting longer

What, ever?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I have a pretty good setup at home but nothing is going to touch seeing this in a Dolby theatre

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm a little conflicted, i do want to see it in a big fancy theater and i desperately want this thing to be a big hit but i am not so certain that this covid poo poo is over yet, even with the vaccine roll out going pretty well. we shall see.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I don't care that much about how I personally get to see it. All I care about is that it's successful enough that Part 2 gets made.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well there's your mistake. Never explain yourself.

I got into reading the dune novels because of the Lynch movie. I don't think i'd of got into them from watching the more faithfull sci-fi channel adaptation.

The Sci-fi mini series commits way more unforgivable sins

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The theatres near me are the shittiest gigantic multiplexes that have a massive arcade and the theatres themselves are in complete poo poo condition for the audio and projection. I’ve complained and even gotten refunds a couple of times but it just isn’t worth the hassle.

I would far rather watch a movie on my tv at this point than have to go to another subpar theatre again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well sure. I wouldn't want to go to a bad theatre

The redone AMCs are nice as hell though

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLWRqcVx0Cw

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

FYI that tweet walked it back 2 hours later and WarnerMedia says it will be in theaters and HBO Max on the same day.

Consume the spice however you can obtain it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

Well sure. I wouldn't want to go to a bad theatre

The redone AMCs are nice as hell though

lolol So, Before COVID started making GBS threads on everything last year, they started building a new theater. It just opened up last week.

I mean, obv it didn't kill them, since they are open, but it was just like......such drat bad timing.

I *might* go see DUNE there. I am going to be such a crotchety old man and complain about how much tickets are anymore, though.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 18, 2021

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Make stillsuits mandatory for viewing

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ventral EggSac posted:

Make stillsuits mandatory for viewing

Refuse any proffered jerky

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Do not "give water to the pipes", or you're no fremen

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Just wear 'cosplay' to the theater.

If anyone gets mad about your tyvek biohazard suit painted black or your full face respirator modified with grandmas oxy tube as a nose tube, well, gently caress'em. May their knives chip and shatter.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Avoid having a shower for at least a week prior to going to the theater, and roll in some cinnamon for extra authenticity.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Avoid having a shower for at least a week prior to going to the theater, and roll in some cinnamon for extra authenticity.

But I feel like I should do something out of the ordinary to celebrate this being in theaters.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Filling plastic bags full of my poop and duct taping them to my thighs seems like the best idea. The Stadium Pal attached to my wang will help avoiding the bathroom break in addition to authenticity. Standing on my car's roof and steering with ropes attached to the wheel seems like a good idea as well. Blasting Toto on the stereo.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

kiimo posted:

Filling plastic bags full of my poop and duct taping them to my thighs seems like the best idea. The Stadium Pal attached to my wang will help avoiding the bathroom break in addition to authenticity. Standing on my car's roof and steering with ropes attached to the wheel seems like a good idea as well. Blasting Toto on the stereo.

Lol
Yep

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

low key run a cath drainage tube through a brita filter right to your mouth

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

just gonna post in h ere every time I think the world would be better off with a real butlerian jihad

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang

The Orange Catholic Bible posted:

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind

Zuck's gotta go

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

human tho

He ain’t fooling nobody

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

priznat posted:

human tho

He ain’t fooling nobody

He is exactly what I picture a Tleilaxu Master looking like

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Zuckerberg is clearly two tleilaxu masters one on top of the other, stuffed in a trenchcoat.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Zuck is a Piter looking mf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hmm yeah I dont want to lose all tech like we can have 1999 era internet and computers. That way i can still play tiberian sun but nobody will even have the computing power needed to dp gross orwellian hellworld stuff