Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

herbert is quite, quite clear that they're a low-to-mid-level of high the entire time

high men create good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Hwi. Don't do it. When you want to go through it.

when you come up to it
and you can't go through it
and you can't knock it down
you know that you've found
the worm! the worm! the worm!
nothing on earth can make it fall

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
In the Lady Fenring seduction scene, Villeneuve has captured the very essence of what it means to be like thirteen years old or something and you need to get your hair cut and they get the trainee to do it because it doesn't matter if they screw it up and they are pretty bad with the scissors and manage to draw blood and they leave you looking like at least one of the three stooges BUT at one point you can TOTALLY feel their boobs pressed against your back and that moment is undoubtedly the highlight of your entire life thus far.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Deptfordx posted:

That worm scene was indeed amazing.

What I couldn't help but thinking.

How does everyone else get on? Especially let's say pregnant Reverend Mothers who aren't trained in this.

Also how the gently caress do you manage the dismount?

the reverend mothers have that wicker palanquin, right? (we see jessica riding in it when they head south). they probably just sit in it while the more physically capable fremen hoist it onto the worm

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Holy poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Scags McDouglas posted:

I am extremely serious that one of the most satisfying gently caress Yous in science fiction was properly adapted to the big screen when the completely eradicated Atreides house were seen with flags atop terrifying leviathans the size of skyscrapers and being ridden in like horses.

soooo gooooood

speaking of flags, I'm surprised no one has brought up that one quick moment after the nuke where two sardaukar are righting a toppled flag. it looks an awful lot like this imo

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kalel posted:

speaking of flags, I'm surprised no one has brought up that one quick moment after the nuke where two sardaukar are righting a toppled flag. it looks an awful lot like this imo
That’s not even subtext, it’s very explicit.

The nuclear bombings causing Japans unconditional surrender came at the end of a long series of naval losses and air raids.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 27, 2024

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Jabor posted:

the reverend mothers have that wicker palanquin, right? (we see jessica riding in it when they head south). they probably just sit in it while the more physically capable fremen hoist it onto the worm

The worm doesn't stop, tho.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Say what you will about the Harkonnens, at least they made the worms run on time

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The pilot probably just steers the worm by a pre-arranged location for the palanquin-bearers to jump on, with others there to help catch them and the load. It'd still be pretty rough, but they live in plenty of convenient stone outcroppings for it already.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
could the palanquin have a grav belt in it? do they make the worms go crazy too?

thinking about it, grav-belts would resolve the 'walk without rhythm' thing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That makes a lot of sense. The Fremen have glowglobes, so they do have suspensors.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This site has over 900 dune covers from all the international versions, some of them are awesome. The Danes made the pussy magic overt:

E: hell yeah

E2:gently caress so many of these are interesting and/or good

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 28, 2024

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
laser-cats

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

(The Turkish translator wasn’t very good)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tree Bucket posted:

In the Lady Fenring seduction scene, Villeneuve has captured the very essence of what it means to be like thirteen years old or something and you need to get your hair cut and they get the trainee to do it because it doesn't matter if they screw it up and they are pretty bad with the scissors and manage to draw blood and they leave you looking like at least one of the three stooges BUT at one point you can TOTALLY feel their boobs pressed against your back and that moment is undoubtedly the highlight of your entire life thus far.

Oh my god are you me

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

laser-cats

laser tigers

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Tiger is a cat

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

priznat posted:

Oh my god are you me

It was a trip to the dentist for me

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Scags McDouglas posted:

It was a trip to the dentist for me

The sleeper has awoken :dance:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The reverse Kwisatz Haderach, accessing the ancestral memories of the guys who never managed to breed

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

The reverse Kwisatz Haderach, accessing the ancestral memories of the guys who never managed to breed

Drink the water of life but be forewarned, you will be flooded with millions of memories of incels masturbating. You will not wake up remotely close to the untraumatized man you were before.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Scags McDouglas posted:

Drink the water of life but be forewarned, you will be flooded with millions of memories of incels masturbating. You will not wake up remotely close to the untraumatized man you were before.

The Boner Gesserit have embarked upon an 80-generation breeding program. It really isn't going well.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
may thy cumsock chip and shatter

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vampire Panties posted:

may thy cumsock chip and shatter

May thy condom rip and splatter.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

yall I still haven't seen this loving movie

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/steven-spielberg-reviews-dune-2-162019189.html

“This is truly a visual epic, and it’s also filled with deeply, deeply drawn characters,” Spielberg said. “Yet the dialogue is very sparse when you look at it proportionately to the running time of the film. It’s such cinema. The shots are so painterly, yet there’s not an angle or single setup that’s pretentious … you have made one of the most brilliant science fiction films I have ever seen.”

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Without there being a picture of me next to the definition of the word “fanboy”, Dune 2 was one of the most visually striking movies I’ve ever seen. The cgi was also incredibly impressive

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Without there being a picture of me next to the definition of the word “fanboy”, Dune 2 was one of the most visually striking movies I’ve ever seen. The cgi was also incredibly impressive

The practical effects were amazing. I've already linked the video with Villeneuve telling us how almost all of the Paul rides his first worm scene was practical. Check it out.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kiimo posted:

yall I still haven't seen this loving movie

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

amazing art, i should read these dune books some time

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Yor in for a treat

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

My favorite part of Children of Dune was when Leto II and Ghannima turned into laser tigers and ruled the empire for 3500 years.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I want to say it's some completely unrelated series, but then I squint and think about a game of telephone with Dune and Russian and I think maybe?

Cool covers nonetheless

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Sadly these covers aren't super representative of Dune, I think this Bulgarian one nails it pretty hard though.

were there tigers or something in the first book that I'm not remembering? Seem to be a recurring theme on some.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
First book has worms and bats and little hopping mice
Second book has house ferrets
Third book has laser tigers, worms and trout
Fourth book has worm (singular) and d-wolves
Fifth book has worms and chair dogs
Sixth book has worms, chair dogs and cat people

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

kiimo posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/steven-spielberg-reviews-dune-2-162019189.html

“So let me start by saying that there are filmmakers who are the builders of worlds and we know it’s a not a long list, but we know who a lot of them are,” Spielberg said. “Starting with [Georges] Méliès and of course [Walt] Disney and [Stanley] Kubrick. George Lucas, George Pal, Ray Harryhausen … [Frederico] Fellini built his own worlds. Tim Burton, obviously. Wes Anderson. Peter Jackson. James Cameron. Christopher Nolan. Ridley Scott, Guillermo del Toro. The list goes on. But it’s not that long of a lis

George Miller was the first person that came to MY mind, and he’s not on the list. Second was Wachowskis. Leaving out ok but doing that and including NOLAN? Is there some beef?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Dune of Gor?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Remulak posted:

George Miller was the first person that came to MY mind, and he’s not on the list. Second was Wachowskis. Leaving out ok but doing that and including NOLAN? Is there some beef?

there's old age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
No Sam Raimi?