Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The world Humanity has built is bright

and shiny

Their monuments stretch to the heavens

Cover the land

the rivers

and even the wide seas

There is no place so dangerous that Humanity will not settle

For all their great works, humans still feel small. In their smallness, they look to the gods.

Old gods

new gods of Humanity's own making

or those who made themselves

and even a few old gods made new again

What kind of god are you?

Welcome to Modern Gods! A smallgod game set in the modern day. The world is wide and vast, ready for you to make your mark on it, but is not a blank slate. Every kind of people teem on its surface with their own desires and goals. Many gods have come and gone. Some few still remain, many much diminished.

System
PDQ is a lightweight system where you roll 2d6 and add any relevant qualities trying to get above a DC that I will set based on the difficulty of your action. I will handle all the rolling and provide narrative feedback on what the results were so hopefully the mechanics will fade into the background and we can tell several interweaving stories together.

Character Creation
All characters will start as semi-divine demigods. I expect many will be humans who are learning to be gods or gods who have had to learn how to be human to survive the millenia. As such, you will have a small amount of divine power as well as two mortal level qualities.

Are you an old god who has somehow survived to the modern day or a new one? If you are new, were you made or did you spring into existence?
Who Are you?
Where are your from?

What are you the god of +2?
What is your divine power? Whatever it is, in this realm, you are incomparably better than any mortal. It can be almost anything, but it should be both somewhat limited in scope and clearly supernatural to reflect your demigod status. It can be concrete, like command of a single element either classical or from the periodic chart. It can be abstract, like hope, urbanization, deforestation, or cynicysm.

Where do you excel +4(mortal)?
What are you best at? How do you like to approach problems when you can't bring your divine qualities to bear? Your mortal qualities can be as broad as you like, but should be snappy. For example, if you want to be strong, jazz it up a bit as Strongest Woman in the World +4; Mountain of Muscle +4, or 3 time Olympic Champion +4.

What gives you an edge +2(mortal)?
Are you rich? Do you have lots of friends? Perhaps you are an accomplished traveler? Maybe you're just pretty strong? I recommend that this be some thing, some personality trait, or some personal attribute that can supplement your other mortal quality in some situations and give you additional narrative options. You can always try an action, even without a relevant quality, but its better if you can play to your strengths and it usually leads to a more interesting narrative if you have the opportunity to highlight them.

What upends your plans +2/+4/+6(situational, optional)?
This is your demigod's divine weakness/foible/flaw. It should be suitably epic and something you're comfortable with inflicting on your character. Whenever you act in alignment with this quality you may optionally take +2, +4, or +6 on that action in exchange for gaining 1, 2, or 3 foible points. In addition I may invoke it for you if it seems appropriate. Accumulated FPs can be used by other players or npcs when they oppose you if they do so in a way that plays off your divine foible. All players and characters have IC knowledge of all divine foibles so that they can reasonably invoke divine weaknesses. Also, this can change over the course of the game as your character changes, so don’t feel stuck with this. The quality can be physical or something more nebulous like a goal, passion, or vice. Pick something you think will be interesting for you. The most interesting thing about a person is often what they can't or won't do. For example, the only real difference between Batman and Punisher is that Batman won't kill people, but Batman has way more TV shows and movies than Punisher.

At certain points, I may offer you the choice to fully descend into the ugliest depths of your divine foible and commit a dark and terrible deed, in exchange for your FP being completely erased. [This act will automatically succeed.]

What kind of story do you want to tell?
Give me some clues about the kind of narrative arc you want your demigod to travel. What kind of experience do you want for yourself? For your demigod? If you have any questions or need advice on qualities feel free to ask me about them. You can post them here, PM me, or ask in the OhGod discord. Even after the game starts, you are encouraged to continue using this recruitment thread for OOC chat. I can access the forums more frequently than I can discord.
I am hoping for at least 6 players.

Demigod Example

quote:

Thor

An old god who has been restored to a small portion of my former power by the worship inspired by comic books and movies. I survived the fall of the Norse pantheon by blah and have been doing fizzbuzz until my powers began to return recently.
Who Are you?
Dude, I'm Thor. You've heard of me. I'm the lightning god and I kill giants like it ain't no thing. I drink like a fish, especially since my powers started coming back. You have no idea how expensive a proper stout is when you buy it by the gallon. Lately I've been making beer money by pounding the poo poo out of the drug dealers who think my street is their territory. yatta yatta yatta
Where are your from?
Asgard, home of the gods, also Sweden.

Lightning +2
Note how he's just the god of lightning at this stage. As the game progress this quality might increase to electricity +4 or storm +4 increasing in power and growing in scope.

Ex-War God +4(mortal)
I'm not half the god I used to be, but I'm still as strong as any living man and know my way around a fight.
This was going to be just strong, but I decided to jazz it up a bit and also slip in that he's a good fighter. Can also now be used as a diplomacy trait with other new gods. The new war god might not like him very much though.

Handsome Hero +2(mortal)
This was going to be just handsome, but I tacked on hero to give it a little more flair. Could also be stretched to apply to any fight in a good cause, but not mugging some or a bar brawl. Other options were Mjolnir +2 or legions of fans +2 or even movie deals +2

Tough As a Rock And Just As Smart +2/+4/+6(situational, optional)
If I can't hit, drink, or sleep with something I don't know what to do. That was dad's job, or Loki's sometimes. Asgard, I miss them both.

What kind of story do you want to tell?
I want to beat up bad guys! To cool music!

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Setting Player Expectations

quote:

You can have excellent players but the wrong kinds of characters. This is usually because players go into a game not knowing what the game is actually about or their missions/perceptions of what the game should and should not be are not in line with the GM's way of running the game. In fact, in some games it may become so detrimental that the GM and certain players will be in complete and total opposition, which causes the game to self-destruct in a prompt and messy fashion.

To that end these are the following expectations of the players.

Communication - Players must be able to communicate with each other in game. While it is virtually impossible to prevent meta-gaming, especially in a play by post environment, as long as the players are talking to each other is what counts. This also means that players also must communicate their concerns to the GM in a constructive way and the GM listen to those concerns.

Teamwork and You - This is a Competitive Sandbox style game, player characters can co-operate with one or act in opposition to one another based off their natures and alliances. Unlike any other multi-player game, the majority of the time will be spent working to increase the player's personal power base and accomplish goals. This can be accomplished through teamwork or other means. This game requires interaction with the other gods and is not meant to be played with your god barely interacting with the other characters. Your story should intertwine with the other players when appropriate, but you should also feel free to pave your own path.

Meta-game - Planning long term projects and sharing information outside of the game is totally fine and somewhat expected, as long as player knowledge and character knowledge remain separate. Ideally all interactions would happen in game in order to allow people the opportunity to discuss what to do and act accordingly in character. The idea behind this is that players are mature enough to actually play through with what their character knows and is expected to know rather than what the player knows. I'd much rather see an in-thread conversation than have to dig through discord history to find out what happened.

Post Quality - Players should be interacting with each other and the game world frequently and dynamically. This is not to say that posts should not be long or short, but they should be well thought out. Players should always stay abreast of what is going on and clarify the situation before posting something that doesn't make any sense to anybody else because a player misunderstood what is going on. All other standard conventions and rules still apply.

Post Frequency — This is at the GM's discretion, but people should post when the GM tells them to go post. If people have to take breaks, etc. then they can let the GM know what they're doing in "autopilot" while the game progresses forwards. All players should include their time zones (or if they change) so that the GM can properly regulate the flow of the game.

Acceptance - Things will happen in the game that may not always be what players want. Some decisions may be made which may anger or frustrate this players. Acknowledge that these things are going to happen but they are to service the game and to move the story forward - if there is really that serious of an issue over a decision that is made, then it can be brought up with the GM in private. If it's serious enough AND no common ground can be reached, the player will be gracefully removed from the game and a replacement will be hand-waved in as necessary.

IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE THE ABOVE I WILL KICK YOU FROM THE GAME!
Somehow :iiam:
It's never gotten bad enough that I needed to remove someone and I hope it never will.

I expect to update every Wednesday evening and Saturday evening. I expect I'll be able to post updates more frequently than that right when the game starts to get things off to a bang.

In Character PC-PC Conflict and you
Mythology is littered with stories about gods squaring off against each other and both parties walking away unharmed. Or picking mortal champions to compete for them. Fights to the death are and should be rare. There are other ways to resolve disagreements between demigods and gods. Players who find their characters in conflict are encouraged to agree to a competition and set the stakes ahead of time instead of directly fighting. All players involved should agree on what they will lose/do if they lose and what they will gain if they win.

God War a.k.a Apocalypse
War between the gods is rare and devastating. Attacking another god is an opposed roll unless your target allows it to happen. If they let you attack, or you beat their roll, you can pick one of their Domains to damage. If two fighters draw, each picks a Domain of their opponent's to damage. After your attack, your opponent can retaliate or retreat if they wish, and until then bargain with or threaten you (and likewise). Damaged Domains can't be used, and gods heal one Domain of their choice as time passes(the GM will have stopping points to advance the plot and healing) If all of a god's Domains(there will be more later) are damaged, a further blow will put them on the brink of death. Everything in the area of the conflict will likely be devastated regardless of who wins. When gods clash directly, missed shots and even the back scatter from the collision of such titanic forces rips holes in the fabric of reality.

Pictures
Pictures are in no sense required, but I do like seeing them or other multimedia tone setters as the mood takes you. If you enjoy including pictures, please do so.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 10, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Reserved.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Excellent job of keeping your mortal qualities disjoint from your divine. Electricity may be overly broad, but the only suggestion I have for scaling down to small gods range is lightning so you may get in with it anyways.

Would you like to clarify your foible for me? My current understanding is that you can basically always tap it, but opponents can also always tap it by triggering flashbacks.

What's the government in Keacham like?

LupusAter posted:

Mekhistos

The Plagues were a good time, and the Beaked Mask is both a treasured reminder and a powerful symbol.

I was forgotten. I will be remembered.

Intriguingly offbeat. We've previously discussed the overlap of your divine and +4 mortal quality. Your divine quality already provides all of the best drugs you could possibly want making large parts of +4 mortal quality redundant. You are welcome to handicap yourself in that way if you like; and it does not affect your chances of being selected. I'm mentioning it here mostly for the sake of people still making their own demigods.

Valitnia sounds more like where you want to start. Where did Mekhistos first share the secrets of the Pharmakon.

JamezBfod posted:

Who Are you? I am The Basilisk. I am an artificial intelligence.

I was expecting someone to app a computer program. Yours is fine.

What happened to the sixth of your line?

Rhjamiz posted:

Veränderung - The Fifth Column, the Revolutionary, the Freedom Fighter

Ignore the worm. Or don't. Maybe there are worms. You aren't the police of me.

I love the song and the dune picture. Concept is very solid. There's a lot of overlap between your +4 mortal quality and your divine one. I don't see a lot of situations where you'd be able to use your mortal quality and not want to use your divine one which is just infinitely better. You may want to pick something else.

What is the first revolution that Veränderung assisted? If he hasn't yet, what did he do before he became the demigod of Revolution?

I like him. My only suggestion is to change wealth to Material Wealth +2 to match your description and you are good to go.

What is one company that Tariq al-Masayir recently acquired and who did he upset in the process?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Sygyzy, God Of Telecommunication

But it's not as though many of these people believed in anything else, either. The Old Gods rarely got more than lip service, and in many cases got even less than that. So their calls to Sygyzy might have been piddly, worthless little wisps of Faith... but they were more powerful than any other Faith that might have been hiding in their hearts.

You know half of this stuff isn't internally consistent, right?"

I love everything about this. The fluff is so good that I almost missed how much overlap there is between all three of your qualities.

What is an example of how you would use Magic Blue Smoke +4(mortal) that doesn't overlap with Telecommunications +2? Feel free to change your +4 and answer with that if you like.

Valhawk posted:

Marcus Seward

He's gonna make it all the way to the top, but who will he be when he gets there?

Solid. It'll be interesting seeing you try a more physical demigod.

Who is Marcus close to?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 12, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Please post your demigods by Friday night. I hope to get the first game post out sometime this weekend.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

gently caress yes a godgame! Oh man, the usual heavy hitters are out and I only ever have a phone to post from. Welp, ill be watching.

You still have time to make a demigod!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm Fine is something I envision as a more defensive/emergency skill as a result. I figured someone using 1 FP against her would be putting her on tilt, 2 FP would represent an outburst and 3 FP would be "barely functional sobbing wreck".

Keep in mind that your foible should be something you can tap to help yourself as well as something that can be used against you.

AJ_Impy posted:

Eliam, God of Religion

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealthwrath and taste.
Dark.

Your foible should be something you can tap to help yourself as well as something that can be used against you. How can you invoke your foible to help you?

Religiosity is a bit cryptic, but I think your description is clear enough that it should be used as something along the lines of false faith which is acceptable. I don't think politician's would necessarily fall under your umbrella, except when their falsely claiming to have faith of course. If you level up into full fledged hypocrisy or deception they'd be more solidly in your domain.

Who is one person that has seen through your lies and why are they still alive?

I'll try to get to the other demigods as time allows. IAC is up next.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Atlantic City is fine. Good range of qualities, your foible is a bit limited unless you expect Ares to show up a lot. Do you want him to?

You seem pretty willing to beat people up, what's your beef with your dad?

What did you think of that new Wonder Woman movie where she kills your dad?

OscarDiggs posted:

T’unicha

“That is without my “Ultimate Perfect Form, Sublime Divinity Edition” video workout routine, now only $69.99.

I think you want Exercise +2. Health isn't going to provide strength boosts and Life is too broad for a smallgod.

What event did T'unicha not win at the Olympics and who beat him?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Cadell

Bonus Pic of Cadell and Red Queen Aeronwen!

At first glance I loved this god. I'm not really understanding where you want to go with this or how Hope fits into anything. Can you help clarify that for me? I'd understand if it was speed (or velocity or acceleration), or strength, or fascination or infatuation or beauty; but Hope feels like its coming out of left field.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I am Communist posted:

Oh, I can reword it as more of a general chip on shoulder / he can become angry but not in a beneficial way but more of a burn it all down, his progress and everything in spite.
I thought the +2 , +4, +6 was an increasing level of how to apply it. I was thinking multiple triggers. So level one can be a general dad thing, level two can be he's out to prove things and the chip on shoulder. While a massive setback might set off anger or the anger causes the setback?

It works pretty much exactly the way it does in your smallgods game. Also the way it works in fate games.

I am Communist posted:

"Dad, doesn't care about the world or mom. He says what he does is necessary and the things that, matter to me don't matter to him. He's a total dick to me and nothing is ever good enough for him. Says I'm "soft" and "weak". I'll show him!"
This is what I was looking for. You're good.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Milton "Wally" Simmons

Writing this on my phone took far longer than I liked.

Solid.

It is easier to do nothing in some places than in others. What is your favorite place to do nothing in and why?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I wrote Hope. I think I meant Inspiration. I think either could work, though. Cadell was never a god of war but he was a beast of it. Of course, his form no longer plays to that position. Not with humans. Not with guns and tanks. Yet that bolstering of the spirit remains. That ability to drum up courage. To quicken hearts and swell chests. He makes people feel... capable. Not smarter. Not tougher. For example, look at Kenzie. He didn't cure her depression or halt her tendency to self-medicate with smoking weed or fix her attraction to lovely men. He simply made her feel like things were possible, like the world was possible, like applying to your dream school was possible. And she was accepted to Cainwood-- on a scholarship no less-- and things have advanced from there. An art student in Lit 101 made a painting of Cadell "as a joke." Students touched it for luck. It became a (successful) ritual before tests. Things advanced from there. The unpaid graduate student teaching the class led a strike with his peers for appropriate compensation. It was successful. Things advanced from there.

Cadell thinks this is all great fun.

Should I change my aspect?
I wouldn't. Sounds like hope to me. Or maybe Self Confidence? But Hope's fine.

One of the people Cadell knew when he was a war mount still visits every week. Who is it and why do they visit?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Shogeton posted:

Edea Mater

[They believe] we are leading human civilization to its doom and that Mother Earth wants us to stop.

They are half right.

A fun twist on mother earth. A little grandiose for a smallgod perhaps. Qualities are fine.

How do you feel about other corporations like Enronm and Volkswagonm that sped up the impending climate apocalypse?
Did you want to help them temporarily escape the consequences of their actions so they could continue contributing to the demise of mankind?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 16, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

There were many excellent demigods and I had a hard time choosing. Those who weren't picked, I look forward to playing with you in other games in the future. Congratulations to our entertaining smallgods:

LupusAter posted:

Mekhistos

The Plagues were a good time, and the Beaked Mask is both a treasured reminder and a powerful symbol.

I was forgotten. I will be remembered.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Sygyzy, God Of Telecommunication

But it's not as though many of these people believed in anything else, either. The Old Gods rarely got more than lip service, and in many cases got even less than that. So their calls to Sygyzy might have been piddly, worthless little wisps of Faith... but they were more powerful than any other Faith that might have been hiding in their hearts.

You know half of this stuff isn't internally consistent, right?"

Valhawk posted:

Marcus Seward

He's gonna make it all the way to the top, but who will he be when he gets there?

AJ_Impy posted:

Eliam, God of Religion

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealthwrath and taste.

Rhjamiz posted:

Veränderung - The Fifth Column, the Revolutionary, the Freedom Fighter

Ignore the worm. Or don't. Maybe there are worms. You aren't the police of me.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Milton "Wally" Simmons

Writing this on my phone took far longer than I liked.

Shogeton posted:

Edea Mater

[They believe] we are leading human civilization to its doom and that Mother Earth wants us to stop.

They are half right.

Post Format Expectations
Please include your name, a link back to your up to date character sheet, and your current number of fate points at the top of every post. Pictures and fluff are what I'm looking forward to, but please also include a short summary of the mechanical effect you want to achieve in italics at the bottom of your post please. Your posts may be as short or as long as you like. I understand that some weeks only a sentence or two is all you have the energy for, and that's fine.

If you have questions, this OOC thread is usually the best place to reach me because I can't access discord during the day usually (the next two weeks will be an exception as I am working from home over the holidays).

Game thread is over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I am Communist posted:

I know I've been MIA for the past couple of weeks. Due to RL circumstances and my laptop & desktop dying like some kind of failure cascade I'll have to drop.

No worries. Good luck with your search and I hope you are able to resolve your computer problems soonish. You make fun posts.

• Locked thread