Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
me? I'm a software guy. i dont really care much about the hardware. i want the thing to be stable and not have to worry about driver support on linux but i'm perfectly happy to let someone more knowledgable make those decisions for me.

but software? i like coding _a lot_ and i love learning about the latest algorithms and monads. even if they're of no practical use, it's all super interesting to me.

i guess...as long as the hardware can execute my code, i'm happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
no way op the harder... the better :pervert:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
unless you mean hard vs soft wares

in which case I guess it depends on the situation??

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
like if the wares is slippers, then def soft

but if it’s for cooking, then it needs to be hard

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
hardware is inherently better and analog hardware is the most hard ware ever got

pram
Jun 10, 2001
People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

hardware because software developers are overpaid whiny babies

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
you can't have both

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
i think the whole thing is overrated, tbqh

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hardware because you can have useful hardware without software (but also depending on how you define “software”), but can you have software without hardware?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

OldAlias posted:

hardware because you can have useful hardware without software (but also depending on how you define “software”), but can you have software without hardware?

yeah you can code without a computer. it's just a set of instructions. if you can get a group of people and make them respond to instructions for you can program them..people software.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

nothing like the new hardware feeling

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nothin like slammin some software into the rack????

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

hifi posted:

nothing like the new hardware feeling

Captain Foo posted:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
software can also be hardware if it’s on a CD or DVD

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Captain Foo posted:

personally i find that if its slamming into a rack, software quickly becomes hardware

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

pram posted:

software can also be hardware if it’s on a CD or DVD

but weirdly it is still software if it is on one of those 5” floppies that bend and are softer.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah you can code without a computer. it's just a set of instructions. if you can get a group of people and make them respond to instructions for you can program them..people software.

build the pyramids with this one weird trick

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i will acknowledge that software is never a burden

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dongslayer. posted:

another problem you can solve with c

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i offer hardware as a service

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dongslayer. posted:

ok how about uber, but for corvée labor

summon pyramid builders with one tap on your phone. this is really catching on with monarchs near you

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Goku, OP.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

AWS appears to have created their own iLo to manage bare metal servers, I wonder why it took so long.

quote:

Announcing Amazon EC2 Bare Metal Instances (Preview)
Posted On: Nov 28, 2017

Amazon EC2 Bare Metal instances provide your applications with direct access to the processor and memory of the underlying server. These instances are ideal for workloads that require access to hardware feature sets (such as Intel VT-x), or for applications that need to run in non-virtualized environments for licensing or support requirements.
With Bare Metal instances, you can deploy applications that use physical hardware resources directly on AWS infrastructure, and scale these applications up and down in minutes. Just like other EC2 instances, Bare Metal instances also provide support for different AWS services such as Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) and Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS). Bare Metal instances are based on the next generation Nitro system, a collection of AWS-built hardware offload and hardware security components that enable high performance, high availability, and improved security for critical applications.
EC2 Bare Metal instances are available for preview on the I3 instance family in the form of the “i3.metal” instance type. You can request access to EC2 Bare Metal instances by completing our request form here.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
the harder the better, baby

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MrMoo posted:

AWS appears to have created their own iLo to manage bare metal servers, I wonder why it took so long.

but can it run node?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

pram posted:

software can also be hardware if it’s on a fpga

• Locked thread