Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win?
Moore! *grope*
Jones! *shrugs, looks around* who?
View Results

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

univbee posted:

Is there a reason Moore has to concede? Jones won, and by enough of a margin that a recount isn't needed, I thought.

No legal reason, no, but it's one of those unspoken rules in politics. Jones can be seated without a concession from Moore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

univbee posted:

Does the US forbid people with certain legal backgrounds (e.g. convicted felons) from running for elected positions? Or could, say, Subway Jared theoretically be elected president when he's out?

They do not, and rightfully so - that's like a huge "we're doing a dictatorship now!" red flag because it's so damned easy to abuse.

As a result, you get home states like mine where we elected a guy, multiple times, after committing felonies while in office. When he got out of jail we put him right back in! lmao.

Still worth it though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

univbee posted:

Does the US forbid people with certain legal backgrounds (e.g. convicted felons) from running for elected positions? Or could, say, Subway Jared theoretically be elected president when he's out?

you can't have engaged in rebellion or insurrection and be in government

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

you can't have engaged in rebellion or insurrection and be in government

Explain every politician who positively acknowledged the confederate flag, then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

univbee posted:

Explain every politician who positively acknowledged the confederate flag, then.

that's protected expression

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

that's protected expression

I'm....beginning to suspect the founding fathers and their descendants may not have thought this whole thing through quite right.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean are you implying that saying the confederate flag is cool beans and Heritage is the same as engaging in insurrection? it's not

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

univbee posted:

You can advocate for and idolize it, you just can't have done it (and failed)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Although actually wasn't everyone in the civil war eventually allowed to run for office again anyway? I remember that being a big deal and basically marking the end of reconstruction because the traitors got back into power.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Dec 15, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Although actually wasn't everyone in the civil war eventually allowed to run for office again anyway? I remember that being a big deal and basically marking the end of deconstruction because the traitors got back into power.

I'm just picturing the current US offering the same deal to ISIS supporters.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Although actually wasn't everyone in the civil war eventually allowed to run for office again anyway? I remember that being a big deal and basically marking the end of deconstruction because the traitors got back into power.

yes

congress voted to allow them to hold office again

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
BREAKING: In a spirit of national unity and bi-partisanship, Doug Jones refuses to take his senate seat

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
They share the seat, switching off every week and alternating weekends and holidays.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Frijolero posted:

BREAKING: In a spirit of national unity and bi-partisanship, Doug Jones refuses to take his senate seat

code:
DECORUM

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Frijolero posted:

al franken actually did this

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

al franken actually did this

Yeah not like he did some grab rear end or anything.
:getout:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah not like he did some grab rear end or anything.
:getout:

i'm talking about when he was first elected in 2008 dumbo

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Reporting live from Dixie County, FL home of its very own big ole 10 commandments rock http://www.gainesville.com/news/20130214/ten-commandments-stand-at-dixie-courthouse-after-lawsuit-is-dismissed/1 :

Roy Moore still hella popular, almost as popular as the hit television drama Blue Bloods.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
nice

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

univbee posted:

Subway Jared could theoretically be elected president while still in prison.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Although actually wasn't everyone in the civil war eventually allowed to run for office again anyway? I remember that being a big deal and basically marking the end of reconstruction because the traitors got back into power.

yes, Johnson eventually pardoned everyone

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

reignonyourparade posted:

Subway Jared could theoretically be elected president while still in prison.

in the Philippines (whose Constitution is heavily based on America's), we had a guy who was elected Senator while he was in prison for a failed coup. He served the first three years of his term from inside a prison cell until he was granted amnesty.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Eugene v debs ran for president from jail.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/942406299626688512
lmao

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

https://twitter.com/taniel/status/942395318695579648

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
look the other guy wanted to gently caress children and make gays illegal

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm happy as hell Moore lost but Doug Jones sucks rear end.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

look the other guy wanted to gently caress children and make gays illegal

i think you find that doug jones is willing to betray his base on that too

https://twitter.com/LeftistScumbag/status/942527510906068992

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Agean90 posted:

she's wrote a medium piece about jones being a centrist piece of poo poo and a lot of hill shills and centrist smoothbrains owe her an apology

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

breaking news: the democratic senator for Alabama is from Alabama

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

breaking news: the democratic senator for Alabama is from Alabama

immediatly downplaying the one thing that allowed you to win is a new level of poo poo even for southern politicians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

hobbesmaster posted:

breaking news: the democratic senator for Alabama is from Alabama and a democrat

• Locked thread