Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I sold off those 500 for a small profit but then flipped a coin last night and bought a couple shares right before going to sleep. oh well. Probably gonna withdraw everything and wait until midterms before jumping back in :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Congrats everyone on another successful market. Hope no one got left holding the pointy end.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Waiting on the end-of-year pennies.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

AL SoS has officially, for realsies, declared Doug Jones victorious. PredictIt is still waiting on.... something. Presumably it will resolve today.

edit: closed! :toot:

https://twitter.com/alanblinder/status/946466294769029122

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/946458874382569472

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Dec 28, 2017

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
Is anyone in on the first cabinet member to leave? It’s gotta be Rex right?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

that's gonna be a real tough market due to how many of them are probably just there as a tax dodge and will resign the moment they pass the year mark. it's probably a gamble as to who's resignation will go through first

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
public service... a noble calling

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Apparently if you're from Washington state, you can now sign up for PredictIt per a Reddit user.

Not sure about Nevada, but neither state is listed in the FAQ anymore as one where you can't fund an account...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arkane posted:

Apparently if you're from Washington state, you can now sign up for PredictIt per a Reddit user.

Not sure about Nevada, but neither state is listed in the FAQ anymore as one where you can't fund an account...

About loving time! The state is otherwise really awesome though.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Wheres the best money in the shutdown market?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Womyn Capote posted:

Wheres the best money in the shutdown market?

doesn't exist

the odds of a shutdown changes hour by hour

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arkane posted:

doesn't exist

the odds of a shutdown changes hour by hour

Has it been volatile? Volatility = money if you have the time to micromanage.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

Has it been volatile? Volatility = money if you have the time to micromanage.

yes it is extremely volatile

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Not sure if I'd call this extremely volatile but there's something to work with here I suppose

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bawfuls posted:

Not sure if I'd call this extremely volatile but there's something to work with here I suppose

It started today at 30, has gone as high as 67, bounced from 67 to 50 to 60 to 45 to 58 to mid-40s and is back right now near 30 on news of a meeting with Schumer.

Ya it's extremely volatile

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I just don't understand how the price of shutdown yes is still around 60 cents? Is there still that much of a chance for a deal before Monday, or is there something in the rules that can gently caress it up?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Do any of you have an excel formula you use to convert those goddamn parenthetical negatives in the trade history CSV into something that can actually be used in a calculation?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I've submitted a request:

quote:

Hello,

In exporting one's trade history .csv, having negative currency values formatted as parenthetical values is an enormous pain in the rear end. I know of no software that natively identifies parenthetical values as being the negative of non-parenthetical, and setting up Excel or openoffice to handle this is a nightmare.

Please offer a version of the history .csv that outputs numbers in a format on which calculations can be performed, like "-$1.00" or "-1.00" instead of "($1.00)."

Alternatively, please suggest a spreadsheet program that can recognize the format currently offered.

Wish me luck

e: vvv thanks. I'll give that a try next time I'm checking up on how much i've lost!

theres a will theres moe has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Jan 22, 2018

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
mac or linux (or windows bash shell) can do it pretty quickly:

code:
sed 's/(\(.*\))/-\1/g' < input.csv > output_filtered.csv

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Womyn Capote posted:

I just don't understand how the price of shutdown yes is still around 60 cents? Is there still that much of a chance for a deal before Monday, or is there something in the rules that can gently caress it up?

I think 40% of people assume the democrats are spineless and will fold. Fair assumptions.

Maybe I am confused, but my interpretation of the rules is congress has 4 more hours to make a deal. If the government is still shut down at 12:01est, employees were "furloughed on 1/22" regardless of if they wind up working or not because of some early morning bill.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I think I'm right. 1/22 just shot up from 60 to 90 YES.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Senate just adjourned til tomorrow. 1/22 is yes

Predictit comments are hilarious

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vishass posted:

I think 40% of people assume the democrats are spineless and will fold. Fair assumptions.

Maybe I am confused, but my interpretation of the rules is congress has 4 more hours to make a deal. If the government is still shut down at 12:01est, employees were "furloughed on 1/22" regardless of if they wind up working or not because of some early morning bill.

this isn't correct, but it's moot now

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
1/22 best market ever
Never forget

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

theres a will theres moe posted:

1/22 best market ever
Never forget

Might be a little while before they resolve it

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
E: nvm

theres a will theres moe has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Jan 24, 2018

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Arkane posted:

Might be a little while before they resolve it

I really have to remember to set everything to sell at like 97 cents

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Oh good they resolved 1/22 as YES.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Edit: Nevermind, I overlooked the 'Rules' tab

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

someone convince me not to hold jerome powell NO

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Anyone think Trump will use the words, "fake news," or, "amnesty," in his SOTU?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Accretionist posted:

I think a more interesting market would be whether he uses any three+ syllable words.

Too unpredictable to play

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Those two seem like real toss-ups.

Though everyone should be aware that in the "Obama" SOTU market, "a compound word consisting in part of such name (such as "Obamacare" or "Obamanomics") will not qualify." Which makes NO very underpriced imho.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I do believe a 2/9 shutdown no is underpriced in the 70s but I have a tendency to lose all my money on a sure thing

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You bet on Clinton winning the election too huh? Gotta love the electoral college.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

RandomPauI posted:

You bet on Clinton winning the election too huh? Gotta love the electoral college.

That and the Manning pardon have been my biggest losses.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Any thoughts on the viewers for SOTU? I'm in the bottom two brackets personally.

I'm also in YES for Gorsuch and Mueller markets :rolldice:

dangling pointer has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Jan 30, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Trump mentioning Obama in the SOTU seems like a no. "Previous administration" etc.

Don't take this as gambling advice!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've got six bucks riding on it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dangling pointer posted:

Any thoughts on the viewers for SOTU? I'm in the bottom two brackets personally.

I'm also in YES for Gorsuch and Mueller markets :rolldice:

donald needs to start a war in the next couple of hours if he want to be 03 dubya

• Locked thread