Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Gemini PDA: 20 years on, meet the new Psion Series 5

quote:

The new Gemini PDA, from Planet Computers, is the spiritual successor to the Psion Series 5 organiser from the late 1990s*; A Personal Digital Assistant that I swore by, using it to write copy for newspapers and magazines, and also for communicating on bulletin boards, via a modem connection over Infrared to various phones.

quote:

The Gemini PDA is an all new device that has modern specs, but retains the original keyboard design. Not a lookalike, but the same tech that made it so uniquely comfortable to type on.

The rest of the specs are a world apart, from the 6-inch 18:9 ratio FHD+ display that has 2160×1080 pixels instead of the 640×240 pixels on the original, 4G and Wi-Fi connectivity (a Wi-Fi only model is also available at a lower price), dual-booting for both Android (Nougat) and Linux (Debian), two USB-C ports for connecting external hardware, hubs, or outputting to a monitor, and a 4220mAh battery to make sure you should get a decent level of usage from it, whether using it as a primary or secondary device.

There are stereo speakers too, a voice control button, and a 3.5mm headphone socket. Inside there’s a 5-megapixel front-facing camera designed primarily for video calling, while an optional rear camera (5-megapixel) can be fitted by changing the rear casing.

The idea for the device started earlier in the year as an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, which quickly raised all the required funding, and then some, before getting further support when the original founder of Psion, Sir David Potter, got onboard and became honorary president – and also invested a bit more too.

Having the ability to switch between Android (Nougat for now, Oreo coming later) and Linux gives you a great deal of flexibility, especially as you can also opt to run Linux as an app within Android to save dual-booting.

In Linux mode, you get a higher DPI setting to fit more information on the screen, which especially pays off when hooked up to a monitor. The Android mode will simply output a mirrored screen image, although I was told they might look at offering a different display output in a future software update.

The choice of a MediaTek 10 ARM-core chipset (Helio X27) gives the Gemini PDA plenty of grunt (a significant leap from the single core 18MHz ARM chip on the original or the 36MHz version on the later Series 5mx), although it could be argued that most users aren’t as likely to be after the absolute fastest possible performance, as much as they will want the best hardware for being productive.

While only using a non-final prototype, I was able to jump between key apps like Word, Excel and WordPress, knowing that I could easily see myself using it to cover any product launch or conference with ease, being able to write copy on the go, edit photos and much more, without ever pushing the device to its physical limits.

Even video editing is on the table with cloud-based services like WeVideo, making this a viable alternative to a laptop for many.

quote:

Unlike the original, the Gemini PDA allows you to make calls too. Whether you will want to depends firmly on whether this is going to be your only device, or a secondary device with its own SIM.

With no external display, which would have added further bulk and cost, the device has a row of five programmable multi-colour LEDS instead. These can be programmed in near limitless configurations to identify callers, and they can be animated too. Suffice to say one of the examples I was shown simulated the front grille of KITT from Knight Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

they could’ve given that money to the sick and starving instead of pissing it away in a guaranteed failure. :smith:

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

oh boy another android device i can't wait to see how hosed up the install will get after about a year or after an os update.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this really just makes me want to grab a psion 5 to play around with

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Douglas Adams: "The Little Computer that Could"
Charles Stross: "Netwalker"

these sci-fi Brits really love their Psions

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

cool netbooks

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
it's a less ugly gpd pocket imo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i'm sure that will be absolute garbage to use

but i think it looks really neat :shobon:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
super excited for this: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160109908A1/en

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

It's the only PDA most folks here will ever get !!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I loving love these sorts of stupid ultra portable palmtop things

always totally pointless in design, better as a prop for a cyberpunk movie than anything else, and typically really expensive or even flat out vaporware

and as dumb as they are I always want one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i used an oqo once. it was kind of cool as a novelty but it was pre-ssd so it had a spinny disk that made it suck hard

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I imported a sharp zaurus sl-c1000 and used it to write college papers and mess around w/ python

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the sl-c3000 and up had a built in microdrive

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its a classic example of something dreamed about in scifi for decades, but when it finally comes into reality its pretty much immediately eclipsed by some other technology and in the end it turns out it never really mattered

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lancemantis posted:

its a classic example of something dreamed about in scifi for decades, but when it finally comes into reality its pretty much immediately eclipsed by some other technology and in the end it turns out it never really mattered

exactly!!

but my idiot nerd-lizard-brain still screams GIMME!!! whenever I see something like this

if I had more money and less willpower my home would look little different from an electronics recycler

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

What were those lovely android phablets with the keyboard dock we've already done those and everyone hated them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
paaaadphone?

oh, it was the "Eee Pad Transformer"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Motorola xooooooooom

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh that was just a tablet, huh

I seem to recall a “phone” around that era that ran some Linux and had a keyboard + screen dock

pram
Jun 10, 2001
was the atrix

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wasn't there an ubuntu phone as well?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there was also the palm folio, which was basically a netbook looking terminal for your treo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It's the only PDA most folks here will ever get !!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

pram posted:

was the atrix

hell yes

infernal machines posted:

there was also the palm folio, which was basically a netbook looking terminal for your treo

oh yeah lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

netbooks are gonna go to the moon!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pram posted:

was the atrix

hahah there it is

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
pad
phone

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

a company i worked for had a PDA you could buy as a wireless control for some medical device
the thing would constantly drop connection and was prone to having batteries pop if it sat on the charging dock too long

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i preordered this at launch, the last i heard it should ship in january

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
touch-optimized lunix
if only unity had lived to see this :qq:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT lovely POINTLESS PORTABLES

i seriously love this garbage so goddamn much. i posted a bunch in the gassed portable computer thread

paul allen funded this turd, which was utterly destroyed by netbooks. first shown in 2003, not released until 2007, and it cost two thousand loving earth dollars.

the oqo, which shaggar mentioned. vaporware for the longest time, they finally released it and i think got maybe 3 revisions out! the first version had this ridiculous "docking cable" shown below

the s-xgen handtop, by some company called seamless. i never heard of this thing until i was googling for pictures of hosed up portables. it's a loving inch thick windows mobile PDA with a flip-out folding keyboard, and according to an old article cost $1400. IT IS A PDA WITH A loving ETHERNET PORT JESUS CHRIST

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Tankakern posted:

i preordered this at launch, the last i heard it should ship in january

if you're serious and you actually get one you better post a review

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the most baffling thing about the foleo was how it came out in 2007 yet had the exact styling of a business laptop from 1997.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

the Gemini looks like a '90s throwback which makes it superior to most modern attempts to make a smartphone - netbook Transformer

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT lovely POINTLESS PORTABLES

i seriously love this garbage so goddamn much. i posted a bunch in the gassed portable computer thread

paul allen funded this turd, which was utterly destroyed by netbooks. first shown in 2003, not released until 2007, and it cost two thousand loving earth dollars.

the oqo, which shaggar mentioned. vaporware for the longest time, they finally released it and i think got maybe 3 revisions out! the first version had this ridiculous "docking cable" shown below

the s-xgen handtop, by some company called seamless. i never heard of this thing until i was googling for pictures of hosed up portables. it's a loving inch thick windows mobile PDA with a flip-out folding keyboard, and according to an old article cost $1400. IT IS A PDA WITH A loving ETHERNET PORT JESUS CHRIST

im still rock hard for the 770/n800/n810, nokias weird linux tablet released during the early days of the iphone

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

still better than most modern android phones tbh

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

im still rock hard for the 770/n800/n810, nokias weird linux tablet released during the early days of the iphone

i think that's what i really love about some of this stuff, how it was all completely obliterated by the iphone, netbooks, and later the ipad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

i owned both the 770 and the n800

in fact, i still have the n800 around somewhere. they were, by the standards of the time, surprisingly usable for browsing the web

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i owned both the 770 and the n800

in fact, i still have the n800 around somewhere. they were, by the standards of the time, surprisingly usable for browsing the web

i had the n800 and it really was solid at the time, and some hobbiest project ported webkit over a bit later so it kept up for a good stretch

they were clever machines, double layer resistive membranes so they could detect stylus vs touch inputs and show the right keyboard, a full software repo ui so linux anything could be installed and managed easily by average users, and a camera that swiveled so it could take (mediocre) front and back photos and do video calls

the screen was really nice fore the time, too, and by modern standards the form factor isnt too bad if a bit chunky

• Locked thread