Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

kim just needs to invite trump over and flatter him with a big parade and the next thing you know we'll be the ones providing NK with the nuclear secrets

"Folks, South Korea? We're done with it! The peninsula will see unification under Juche thought! God Bless You, God Bless Kim Jong Un, God bless the Democratic People's Republic of Korea! Merry Christmas and goodnight!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

The CHUDs would love it too.

Think about how many "Based Kim" memes we would get!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"Comrade Kim - comrade - sounds so nice don't you think? Comrade Kim has assured me, that THEY WILL BE SAYING MERRY CHRISTMAS AGAIN"

North Koreans have been preparing for this sort of thing their entire lives. It's incredible that anybody is dumb enough to actually believe we can just get in and out like that, and it won't turn into a grand scale fuckup. Navy Seals couldn't even handle a dirt poor village in Yemen.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Dec 21, 2017

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

kim just needs to invite trump over and flatter him with a big parade and the next thing you know we'll be the ones providing NK with the nuclear secrets

I unironically believe this to be true

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

He can't be that loving dumb.

lol how many times does this thinking have to be proven wrong

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Comrayn posted:

lol how many times does this thinking have to be proven wrong

Ok, fine, his handlers won't let him be this loving dumb.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Ok, fine, his handlers won't let him be this loving dumb.

I don't think so, Tim.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't think so, Tim.

Wait. poo poo. Brian?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's incredible that anybody is dumb enough to actually believe we can just get in and out like that, and it won't turn into a grand scale fuckup.

The weirdest thing to me because of how prevalent this belief is. It amazes me that anyone can think war is a quick afair after Iraq. But you get everyone from Pundits to Politicians to Proles thinking war is an easy "we came we saw he died" game.

But I guess people initially thought WW1 would be over quick too

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreddout posted:

The weirdest thing to me because of how prevalent this belief is. It amazes me that anyone can think war is a quick afair after Iraq. But you get everyone from Pundits to Politicians to Proles thinking war is an easy "we came we saw he died" game.

oh yeah, remember how many months it took for Ghaddafi to fall even in spite of the coalition air war?

the North Koreans went underground in the 50s to escape all the bombing, and they've got a deep network of underground works in depth. there aren't enough bunker busters in our arsenal to even put a dent in it.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Dec 22, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
yeah but it all gets filled up with zombies, didn't you read world war z

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"Comrade Kim - comrade - sounds so nice don't you think? Comrade Kim has assured me, that THEY WILL BE SAYING MERRY CHRISTMAS AGAIN"

North Koreans have been preparing for this sort of thing their entire lives. It's incredible that anybody is dumb enough to actually believe we can just get in and out like that, and it won't turn into a grand scale fuckup. Navy Seals couldn't even handle a dirt poor village in Yemen.

I can't find an English source, but a record number of North Korean boats (like row boats) have been washing up in Japan, along with the occasional body. I suspect North Koreans know a war is coming and are trying to get the hell out.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
American teenagers have never known a world where their country is not at war so it’s not even a big deal to conscript them imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Best Korea posted:

I can't find an English source, but a record number of North Korean boats (like row boats) have been washing up in Japan, along with the occasional body. I suspect North Koreans know a war is coming and are trying to get the hell out.

Reminder that they're washing up sans people (along with the occasional body). Looking at South Vietnam ca. 1975, that's not a convincing example.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Comrayn posted:

American teenagers have never known a world where their country is not at war so it’s not even a big deal to conscript them imo

lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Aliquid posted:

Reminder that they're washing up sans people (along with the occasional body). Looking at South Vietnam ca. 1975, that's not a convincing example.

The Japanese assumption here is that North Korea is expanding its fisheries to raise revenues, and they're crewing old boats with people who don't have any experience fishing. So they're either drifting out to sea and become lost in it, or they're having to abandon boats and be rescued while the ships drift toward Japan.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

galaxy brain: nuke the falkland islands, now nobody gets them

virgin president

chad starfleet captain

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Japanese assumption here is that North Korea is expanding its fisheries to raise revenues, and they're crewing old boats with people who don't have any experience fishing. So they're either drifting out to sea and become lost in it, or they're having to abandon boats and be rescued while the ships drift toward Japan.

Agreed. Fish is in demand, and we're seeing a huge (not similar) uptick in Chinese boats in SK waters. Either they're going out far enough to get into trouble, or they're not experienced enough in the first place to take on these kind of voyages. Fishing is loving hard, especially in older boats.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they watched the soldiers heroically try and stop that defector that they were 100% serious about doing and assume the military is similarly incompetent

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

now i've posted that i think it might actually be true

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The dutch are hiding giants in their windmills
Trump will bomb these giants, fail to topple the windmills then die of fever.

All hail president sancho

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The dutch are hiding giants in their windmills
Trump will bomb these giants, fail to topple the windmills then die of fever.

All hail president sancho

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dreddout posted:

legitimately the only reason I think a north korean war (and only a north korean war) would be 'quick' is because they don't have enough supplies to fight for that long and I sincerely doubt that the north korean population is brainwashed enough to wage an insurgency in the name of the Kim's. The result is either an outright chinese puppet state or an united korea.
Either way though alot of people are going to die and there will be a worldwide recession immediately after once all the damage to the Seoul area gets tallied up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

even if seoul survives unscathed physically if they have to deal with millions of survivors it'll destroy the south korean economy

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Dreddout posted:

there's no reason to think there would be a long-term insurgency like there was in iraq, the south koreans would be doing all of the actual occupying once the dust settles

the problem is the devestating, peninsula-wide, probably nuclear war that happens before that

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fallen Hamprince posted:

there's no reason to think there would be a long-term insurgency like there was in iraq, the south koreans would be doing all of the actual occupying once the dust settles
i'm not so sure about that

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jose posted:

even if seoul survives unscathed physically if they have to deal with millions of survivors it'll destroy the south korean economy

Yeah that too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Make Neo-America neo-Great Again
Chibodee Crocket for President

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There isn't going to be a North Korean insurgency because of "Kim brainwashing" but because The United States and South Korea will have destroyed their economy, their jobs, their healthcare, all the things you need to have a functioning society.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the 'functioning society' starving conscripts with stomachs full of worms keep defecting from

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gently caress off, idiot.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

north korea has by its own admission multiple nuclear warheads and the forums brainlords are here to tell us how it's going to go down exactly like iraq

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm amazed that none of the ik's have kept hamprince chain probated

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They have multiple nuclear weapons, huh? Almost as if they have a functioning society you loving idiot.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There isn't going to be a North Korean insurgency because of "Kim brainwashing" but because The United States and South Korea will have destroyed their economy, their jobs, their healthcare, all the things you need to have a functioning society.

don’t they need these things to begin with for us to destroy them?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They have multiple nuclear weapons, huh? Almost as if they have a functioning society you loving idiot.

hey the US also has multiple nukes and nobody's calling their society functioning

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
half of them haven’t starved or died from living in filth so it seems pretty good to me

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

btw the south koreans have a 600,000-strong military, more than enough to occupy the north on their own, which is almost certainly what would happen because the Chinese really do not want US troops on the border

if your objection to invading north korea is "it'll be another quagmire like iraq" you are seriously underestimating how much of a disaster a war on the peninsula would be

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

btw the south koreans have a 600,000-strong military, more than enough to occupy the north on their own, which is almost certainly what would happen because the Chinese really do not want US troops on the border

if your objection to invading north korea is "it'll be another quagmire like iraq" you are seriously underestimating how much of a disaster a war on the peninsula would be

Do you think a South Korean occupation is going to have any fewer problems than if it were an American occupation? Global capitalism doesn't consider the capital development of command economies to have any market value, which is why so much of the Soviet Union and East Germany's economy ended up wiped out and spurred massive unemployment - and those were countries that fell without the additional devastation of a war and military occupation. This is a hypothetical issue, and not one being taken seriously. My objection to a war with North Korea is that it's certain, regardless of any outcome, to inflict mass death. You're just being an insufferable contrarian like usual.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

ok but this seems like a real dumb point to argue over since even the most absurd war hawks agree it would be a loving disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Comrayn posted:

ok but this seems like a real dumb point to argue over since even the most absurd war hawks agree it would be a loving disaster

yeah, particularly considering given the level of competence and attention the trump administration gives to foreign affairs it’s an open question whether they will manage to declare war on the right Korea first