Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/942080653427953665

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/942838096781086727

quote:

The Defense Department has never before acknowledged the existence of the program, which it says it shut down in 2012. But its backers say that, while the Pentagon ended funding for the effort at that time, the program remains in existence. For the past five years, they say, officials with the program have continued to investigate episodes brought to them by service members, while also carrying out their other Defense Department duties.

The shadowy program — parts of it remain classified — began in 2007, and initially it was largely funded at the request of Harry Reid, the Nevada Democrat who was the Senate majority leader at the time and who has long had an interest in space phenomena. Most of the money went to an aerospace research company run by a billionaire entrepreneur and longtime friend of Mr. Reid’s, Robert Bigelow, who is currently working with NASA to produce expandable craft for humans to use in space.

On CBS’s “60 Minutes” in May, Mr. Bigelow said he was “absolutely convinced” that aliens exist and that U.F.O.s have visited Earth.

Working with Mr. Bigelow’s Las Vegas-based company, the program produced documents that describe sightings of aircraft that seemed to move at very high velocities with no visible signs of propulsion, or that hovered with no apparent means of lift.

Officials with the program have also studied videos of encounters between unknown objects and American military aircraft — including one released in August of a whitish oval object, about the size of a commercial plane, chased by two Navy F/A-18F fighter jets from the aircraft carrier Nimitz off the coast of San Diego in 2004.

quote:

Under Mr. Bigelow’s direction, the company modified buildings in Las Vegas for the storage of metal alloys and other materials that Mr. Elizondo and program contractors said had been recovered from unidentified aerial phenomena. Researchers also studied people who said they had experienced physical effects from encounters with the objects and examined them for any physiological changes. In addition, researchers spoke to military service members who had reported sightings of strange aircraft.

“We’re sort of in the position of what would happen if you gave Leonardo da Vinci a garage-door opener,” said Harold E. Puthoff, an engineer who has conducted research on extrasensory perception for the C.I.A. and later worked as a contractor for the program. “First of all, he’d try to figure out what is this plastic stuff. He wouldn’t know anything about the electromagnetic signals involved or its function.”

The program collected video and audio recordings of reported U.F.O. incidents, including footage from a Navy F/A-18 Super Hornet showing an aircraft surrounded by some kind of glowing aura traveling at high speed and rotating as it moves. The Navy pilots can be heard trying to understand what they are seeing. “There’s a whole fleet of them,” one exclaims. Defense officials declined to release the location and date of the incident.

“Internationally, we are the most backward country in the world on this issue,” Mr. Bigelow said in an interview. “Our scientists are scared of being ostracized, and our media is scared of the stigma. China and Russia are much more open and work on this with huge organizations within their countries. Smaller countries like Belgium, France, England and South American countries like Chile are more open, too. They are proactive and willing to discuss this topic, rather than being held back by a juvenile taboo.”

So it looks like:

1) UFOs are real
2) UFOs have visited earth
3) UFOs like to just sort of hang out around aircraft carriers and chill then runaway

The GBS thread turned into a huge pile of "AYYYY"s and jokes about butt stuff, but I'm hoping YOSPOS can give this topic the serious treatment it deserves.

Personally I'm guessing these are some sort of autonomous drones, not containing living beings. (Also assuming speed of light is a barrier to living stuff travelling this far)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'll believe when they either say hello or end my miserable life, op

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

i'll believe when they either say hello or end my miserable life, op

buzzing an aircraft carrier doesn't count as saying hello?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

no

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
if aliens dont exist then explain the original poster

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dongslayer. posted:

a meaninglessly self-organized mass of carbon and water

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Dongslayer. posted:

Ciaphas posted:

a meaninglessly self-organized mass of carbon and water

nice roast

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
spoiler alert: UFOs are real but they are all terrestrial in origin

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
anyone else ever still think about this thread http://mrboone.kequc.com/questions

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

indigi posted:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

indigi posted:

but which terra

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hollow earth reptilians actually

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
they use ufos to distract you from whats really going on. the molemen.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

indigi posted:

discounting the real reason that it's all likely bunk, this is the only other reasonable explanation given that there is no possibility of other life in the cosmos

burning swine
May 26, 2004

that's our stymie!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a hard core atheist in denial

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
what if it wasnt aliens, but in fact sentient robots? makes u think

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

that reads like a smythe

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what if it was strung out airmen with undiagnosed mental illness plus a powerful politician funneling mega bux to one of his pals

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Nobody would ever fake a video to help funnel untold millions of dollars to their 'research firm' bc their friend is a Senator.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

can I gently caress and cum in the aliens?

really this is the important question we should be directing resources towards

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

indigi posted:

spoiler alert: UFOs are real, strong, and my friend

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
pork funding for senator’s state is real and yospos as gently caress

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

SO DEMANDING posted:

can I gently caress and cum in the aliens?

really this is the important question we should be directing resources towards

no, but they can gently caress and cum in you.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
yospos as darn it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i heard bigelow and reid are buddies so this was probably just a big ol' common courtesy from one rich rear end in a top hat to another

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also, god, UFO poo poo is so 90's, i... oh, wait, they also brought back x-files didn't they? and did an independence day sequel

ughh

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

quote:

Most of the money went to an aerospace research company run by a billionaire entrepreneur and longtime friend of Mr. Reid’s, Robert Bigelow,

'oh yah plenty of aliens real crazy stuff gonna need some more of that cia money. whoah these crazy metals i tell ya'

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

aliens are real and i met them

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
aliens turned me gay

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
If alien mind control isn't real how do you explain the success of Android?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that's robot mind control, duh

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

its reasonable to try to explain unexplained things your guys see but if the directive is looking for aliens thats going to muddy your conclusions

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

no, but they can gently caress and cum in you.

i have mixed feelings regarding this information

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

wait... they told me they were probing me for scientific purposes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Raere posted:

its reasonable to try to explain unexplained things your guys see but if the directive is looking for aliens thats going to muddy your conclusions

*flies 14 hour combat mission on “go pills”*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's
they watched this thing on radar for two weeks. two weeks man

• Locked thread