Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Cardiovorax posted:

Thank you, I'll write those down for the next time I'm at the store, it has a nice and very sizable cheese section. Got any experiences with Stilton? I looked for some alteratives and it looks like it might be very similar while being a bit less intense.
No experience with Stilton, sorry.
If it is a real cheese store you could get advice there. That is especially important as all cheese store I have seen have some favourite (often local) cheeses that they push significantly cheaper then everywhere else. Even the ones that sell mostly packaged stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

VictualSquid posted:

No experience with Stilton, sorry.
If it is a real cheese store you could get advice there. That is especially important as all cheese store I have seen have some favourite (often local) cheeses that they push significantly cheaper then everywhere else. Even the ones that sell mostly packaged stuff.
It is. The lady who runs the till has been on the job for 20-odd years and really knows her cheeses. I'll try that, then. Thanks for the advice.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

stilton is definitely a lot more mild than roquefort i wouldn't describe it as spicy at all but it's a very mellow and sweet blue and imo it has a pretty unique blue funk, like almost a medicinal sort of bitterness to it

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 9, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The best entry-level blue I ever had was Blue del Monviso, but I haven't seen that for sale anywhere in like 10 years. It was soft and rich, with blue flavor but none of the aggressive blue bite.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Cardiovorax posted:

Does anyone have a good suggestion for cheeses that have a similar salty-spicy flavour of Roquefort, but without that bitter flavour of the green mold? I recently tried it and kind of liked it, but the mold is just very overpowering and I can't quite find a taste for it.

Try Cambozola, it's delicious and a lot easier to approach than Roquefort.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you want an entry point, it’s about the easiest one. It is to blue cheese what McDonalds is to hamburgers (no judging, I eat both good and crap versions of everything).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

cambozola has a unique brie-like consistency that i like, personally i will always love fourme dambert for how well it paired with orange marmalade the first time i tried it

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

I enjoy Gouda, so I'd like to try that recipe... if I try to go cheap and use a homemade mold, how would I estimate the volume I'd need for a 2 gallon batch? Basically, out of 2 gallons of milk, what's the usual volume of curd you get out?

Good question. I use my largest form for that, which was made from a 64 oz takeout container and measures about 6" in diameter and 4" tall. For a 2 gallon batch, it's a pretty tight fit, so I wouldn't go any smaller than that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I tried the Cambozola you recommended and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was great together with a slice of a nice ham on some white bread. It'll be a great starting point to see what else I might like, thanks for the advice!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Futaba Anzu posted:

cambozola has a unique brie-like consistency that i like, personally i will always love fourme dambert for how well it paired with orange marmalade the first time i tried it

fourme d'ambert is a great cheese and is a lot posher sounding than cambozola if you want to impress someone

i've been eating a lot of taleggio recently, the chevre cylinders with cherry jam, and am very excited for tomato season to begin so i can start having approx 1 caprese "salad" a day

e: morbier as well. cheese is one food which is still fairly local, e.g. it's moderately hard to get good cheddar or any halloumi in french supermarkets (sometimes they sell "greek grilling cheese" but it's v bad)

distortion park fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 19, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I finally got around to trying some of that Stilton. It's really very much like Roquefort - the same creamy-crumbly texture, the same saltiness and the same slightly bitter aftertaste. Compared to Roquefort, I have to say that it tastes much less overpoweringly of mold, though. It's still present, but not to the same degree, more like the flavour of a good white baguette salami. It's pretty pleasant and goes well with a nice slice of country ham on some white bread.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You can make very nice appetizer/nibbly/accompaniment with stilton, something like this stilton and walnut shortbread.

That recipe uses walnuts but rosemary is also popular. We tend to make them around Christmas but they'd be good in any of the colder months, with some cured meat and maybe sliced pears or a port jelly.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

angerbeet posted:

You can make very nice appetizer/nibbly/accompaniment with stilton, something like this stilton and walnut shortbread.

That recipe uses walnuts but rosemary is also popular. We tend to make them around Christmas but they'd be good in any of the colder months, with some cured meat and maybe sliced pears or a port jelly.

Bookmarked and added stilton to my grocery list, this sounds fantastic.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Shooting Blanks posted:

They're stupid easy and quick, and you can prepare the dough days before. I see no reason you couldn't double it. If you want to be pretty pretty, you could use dental floss to slice the log instead of a knife.

Membrillo would be lovely with it. The shortbread is assertive so don't bother messing around with things to go with it if they aren't equally as assertive. A good thinly sliced bit of ham and some membrillo and you'd be in business.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Looking for good high-calcium snacking cheeses to add more calcium to my diet. I generally like stuff like blue cheese, mozzarella, and Parmesan, so I don’t need or particularly anything fancy. I might eat them with crackers. This is for dietary/nutritional reasons. Any suggestions?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm not sure what you have around you/what your budget is. I'm crazy for aged comte (1 year+) and they were out near me and suggested a 2 year aged gruyere instead which ended up really similar. As a warning they're quite expensive.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Looking for good high-calcium snacking cheeses to add more calcium to my diet. I generally like stuff like blue cheese, mozzarella, and Parmesan, so I don’t need or particularly anything fancy. I might eat them with crackers. This is for dietary/nutritional reasons. Any suggestions?

not sure but I think harder cheeses have more calcium. parmesan has a lot.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Seconding comte and gruyere - really, all hard mountain cheeses will be super tasty and high in calcium, but these two should be easy to find in good supermarkets.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you really want to take it to the next level Brebis milk is higher in calcium than normal milk, and the the cheese tastes great too!

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I've started trying to learn to make cheese, but its not going well. I'm on mozzarella, and the first attempt the curds were a little too fluffy and the second attempt they never really solidified at all. What would an issue of to little rennet or of temperature rising to fast look like?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

FWIW I think mozzarella is pretty tough. I tried twice and failed both times, but have made dozens of good aged cheeses. Don't be let down if it's not going well.

If you're not getting coagulation, it could be the milk wasn't acid enough when you added the rennet.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mozzarella is a cheese where I basically only buy the ones with the PDO designation - it's the only reliable marker of quality with a new brand

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I started making some more cheeses now that I have access to a cheese fridge. :toot:
I've got an Emmentaler going, and I want to get more cheeses going, but only now do I realize they don't all want the same temperatures.
I suspect it's fine, especially because the controller I have for the fridge seems to vary by a couple degrees all the time anyway, but if a recipe calls for 10°C for a few weeks, and I put it in the fridge at 13°C, will that be a problem?
And what about humidity? Whenever I check, it seems to be +/- 20% from my goal. Am I just bad at this? Haha.
What will happen to my cheeses if I stray a bit outside the recipe for temperature and humidity? Do I need to adjust the times for that or is it not so precise?

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I would like to start making cheese. I have a spare fridge with temperature controls. Can I age cheese in a vacuum seal and not have to worry about humidity or is there a period where it needs to be exposed?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Krataar posted:

I would like to start making cheese. I have a spare fridge with temperature controls. Can I age cheese in a vacuum seal and not have to worry about humidity or is there a period where it needs to be exposed?

Depends on the cheese. Any of the mold-ripened cheeses need to be exposed. Your standard cheddar, gouda, etc... Can be vac-sealed almost immediately. You'll still want to give them a day or three, turning every 12 hours until the surface is dry to the touch.

Gavin Webber on Youtube is a great resource. You'll have to go back a ways to get to your standard cheeses. He's been at it long enough that his recent stuff is more... Experimental.

Cheesemaking.com is also great. Mostly good recipes, and competitively-priced supplies and ingredients.

Any of the beginner books by Gianacalis Caldwell are also great for learning, and as works of art.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 20, 2021

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Storage question rather than making, but has anyone tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/Formaticum-Cheese-Storage-Bags-Count/dp/B00BEDW76W/

Or have any other suggestions on how to store cheese? I don't necessarily want to stock up on cheese, it is very perishable, but I'd like to feel slightly less rushed on how quickly to consume when I do buy something nicer.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've been eating a lot of "Mixte" cow/brebis Basque cheese recently. It's a great everyday cheese IMO, flavourful but not too dominant and decently creamy if you don't eat it straight out of the fridge.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I recommend it with Branston's pickle, or pickled onions, but I am v. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So there's been some interest in #cheesefacts in PYF, and this thread is 3 years old, dead, and has a banned OP. So here is a new 2022 cheese thread. Come through!