Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifisto

me: so since the solstice is the shortest day of the year, we celebrate by eating the shortest of something. traditionally farmers would go out into the chicken coop and find the shortest chicken, but since we don't have a farm we'll need to do something else. here is a packet of spaghetti. I need you to go through it and find the shortest noodle, and we'll eat that tonight

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

me: the sun is going away. we have to be nice to it today so it decides to come back

niece: how can we be nice to it?

me: well if you have eggs on the solstice, you should have them sunny side up, as a sign of respect

niece: but dad cooked scrambled eggs this morning

me: uh oh

alnilam

slighty off topic but a while ago my bff and i, who also lived together at the time, came up with annual traditional folksy weather based holidays

Butter Solidification Day is the first day that it's cold enough that the butter on the counter is too hard to spread. it is a traditional marker of the coming of winter and is marked with the eating of many buttery foods, to fatten up for the harsh winter ahead. most traditional BSD dishes involve melted butter, like baked goods , since the butter isn't spreadable
(we came up with this one when we noticed the butter was unspreadable and it made breakfast harder, and we joked about this being one of the true hardships of winter, and the rest of the mythology followed from there)

Butter Desolidification Day is the first day in the spring that it's warm enough that the butte ris spreadable again. it is marked by eating buttered toast and the like. it is also marked with an archery festival because when we came up with it we happened to be going to shoot archery that day in olden times during a BDSD festival the king's mean old buttertax collector came and took the stick of butter from the celebrating villagers, and a local hero shot the stick of butter right out of his hand and pinned it to the wall with an arrow!! the tax collector was undeterred and was about to pluck it right back off of the wall, but the so softened was the butter by the balmy weather that the butter worked its way off the arrow and fell to the ground before he could grab it. butter that has touched the ground is considered untaxable so the tax collector left in a huff and did not bother the villagers again. in a BDSD miracle though the butter had fallen right onto a clean plate (different locales have different objects that it fell onto based on local custom, for example in ssome places known for their blacksmithy, it fell onto a plate of armor, in other places known for their woodcraft it fell onto a freshly cut and cleaned wagon wheel) and was still totally clean, so the villagers could continue to celebrate and eat buttery toast!

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 21, 2017

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Today is the only day out of the year that a bowling ball will stand up without falling over, like say an egg would if you tried to stand it up on it's end but who would do that haha!

So anyway if you set your clock back one hour you get to relive that magic hour of Solistice and maybe Krampus will show up and hang out with you, in which case you can keep setting the clock back an hour and hope for more Krampuses (Krampii?)

Have fun stuffing your stockings with feet!

P.S.- don't forget to set your clock back to non-Solstice time or Krampus will come get you for being a bad kid if you're late! Pretty dang ironic if you ask me since he bogarted up all your stash

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Twenty Four

Winter Solstice, the bane of children everywhere who went out to play around the neighborhood but were told to be home before the street lights come on.

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
Picklemas is that special time of year when we all gather round to feast on sour spears. The surge of electrolytes and pickly goodness help you survive the winter by turbo-loading the body with healthsome brine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

Picklemas is that special time of year when we all gather round to feast on sour spears. The surge of electrolytes and pickly goodness help you survive the winter by turbo-loading the body with healthsome brine.

I want a good pickle so much now!

• Locked thread