Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There really need to be more TDH gear options with the sheer number of DH and TDH chainer's and finishers now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Ugato posted:

Most of the Fryevias can two-turn kill her pretty easily. With breaks and buffs mine can do 90% in a single turn by herself. If you have any way of guaranteeing she stays alive it should be trivial.

Honestly, though, you have DV. If you haven’t leveled him already, pull on the raid banner and dump all your cactuars into him. Just chaining with any Fryevia - even if your DV has nothing on - the damage bonus should be close to enough for killing Garuda in one turn. Throw up your atk buff from Fina too because why not. Hopefully you picked up the DW materia from the ffx event because that should make it pretty easy to guarantee a one-shot every time.

E: yeah I had a dv to test with. No breaks, no buffs: Literally naked, got her to 40%. DW with Genji and and a trash greatsword (and nothing else) killed her easily. Never underestimate the power of chaining.

I’m still super rookie. Like super super rookie. What’s the raid banner? I have him up at 68 or 69 right now but I need to awaken him up to 6*.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

jaclynhyde posted:

Cool, I’m saving all my tickets for Auron and Jecht in like a year

e: Braska better be the 4-star

I wish!
4-6* is Belgemine the summoner
3-5* is Brother

I wish I could have an Auron, Braska and Jecht team running around.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Bob NewSCART posted:

I’m still super rookie. Like super super rookie. What’s the raid banner? I have him up at 68 or 69 right now but I need to awaken him up to 6*.

It’s what you spend the coins on you’re getting from killing Garuda. Summon section, second tab, first banner. You’ll get cactuars some of the time. It shouldn’t take long to get him maxed out.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

SereneCrimson posted:

I wish!
4-6* is Belgemine the summoner
3-5* is Brother

I wish I could have an Auron, Braska and Jecht team running around.

Both of those are some weird pulls. Along with Auron and Jecht I would think Braska and Kinoc.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

KEEPA 7* WHEN???

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

What does it take to solo Garuda? 100% physical evade, paralysis immunity, anything else? I don't think she actually uses Wind element attacks.

Cartoon Man posted:

KEEPA 7* WHEN???

Only if he starts with a bunch of trash tank skills then at max level suddenly gains a fantastic finisher skill & DH passives.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ugato posted:

Most of the Fryevias can two-turn kill her pretty easily. With breaks and buffs mine can do 90% in a single turn by herself. If you have any way of guaranteeing she stays alive it should be trivial.

Fry has an innate death save!

Definitely not perfect, but I remember dps race solo builds that relied on it to win the fight.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Which of the macros from the website do you guys like to use/what resolution? I obviously don’t want to be spending lapis so I’m assuming I’m going with “no refills + timer”? Also I know that people multi instance this kind of thing, can I use the same party or do I have to use different units for my other instances?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Bob NewSCART posted:

Which of the macros from the website do you guys like to use/what resolution? I obviously don’t want to be spending lapis so I’m assuming I’m going with “no refills + timer”? Also I know that people multi instance this kind of thing, can I use the same party or do I have to use different units for my other instances?

You can’t do multiple instances of the same account. That’s only for re-rolling. If you log in to the same account on your phone while your pc is running a macro, it will kick the pc session. And the macro will likely kick you off your phone until you stop it from running.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Scrublord Prime posted:

What does it take to solo Garuda? 100% physical evade, paralysis immunity, anything else? I don't think she actually uses Wind element attacks.

Only if he starts with a bunch of trash tank skills then at max level suddenly gains a fantastic finisher skill & DH passives.

He should chain well with Onion Knight, IMO.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I was a complete putz and bought the Dual White Magic materia without thinking despite having like three dualcast materia I never use outside of Arena.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
According to this Reddit thread, JP recently announced a system for turning in 100% trust units (rare summon only, no FP units, no raid units) for a currency to buy (currently unannounced) items.

*sigh* I guess this means I need to start hanging on to my 3* and 4* 100% trust units.

Edit: They also announced implementing a new 1500-unit box just for enhancers, so you don't have to use your unit slots to hoard them.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I have four slots open right now, and my friend code is 533,181,470 for those of you that don't have me yet! I have an Orlandeau up for the raid, but I sometimes decide to put up a Noctis or an OK. I'm working on a Fryevia too!

Also, most pubbie requests come from people around your rank, but I do have a request from a rank 31 with Lightning as their unit named Pamoi. Is Pamoi any of you guys? They have the generic Portugese greeting.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They’re also getting 10 loving raid orbs...

:argh:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Ugato posted:

You can’t do multiple instances of the same account. That’s only for re-rolling. If you log in to the same account on your phone while your pc is running a macro, it will kick the pc session. And the macro will likely kick you off your phone until you stop it from running.

Cool, good to know. Was I correct in downloading/using the no refills with timer macro specifically? As far as I’m understanding it at least the refills one means that it will use lapis, and the no timer will eventually run down all your NRG.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Does anyone know of an easy place to find a list of units sorted by the unit numbers? I'm curious about what the holes in my Unit Guide are and so far I haven't been able to find this sort of list.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Bob NewSCART posted:

Cool, good to know. Was I correct in downloading/using the no refills with timer macro specifically? As far as I’m understanding it at least the refills one means that it will use lapis, and the no timer will eventually run down all your NRG.

I’m not all that familiar with the different varieties. I do a macro all day pretty much every day and manually refresh it. As long as it does what you want, that’s mostly all that matters.

For a unit list, this is the only one I know of sorted by number.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/wiki/units

There used to be a pretty nice site that had options for saving unit collections (with a list that was pretty easy to parse what was missing too). The wiki list has its benefits because (aside from global exclusives) it will show you where and why you have giant number gaps. We have identical number mapping to japan release with global exclusives being 8000+. So the stuff that doesn’t get released here just leaves gaps.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Ugato posted:

I’m not all that familiar with the different varieties. I do a macro all day pretty much every day and manually refresh it. As long as it does what you want, that’s mostly all that matters.

For a unit list, this is the only one I know of sorted by number.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/wiki/units

There used to be a pretty nice site that had options for saving unit collections (with a list that was pretty easy to parse what was missing too). The wiki list has its benefits because (aside from global exclusives) it will show you where and why you have giant number gaps. We have identical number mapping to japan release with global exclusives being 8000+. So the stuff that doesn’t get released here just leaves gaps.

Well basically I’m just trying to figure out how to be farming TMR the quickest while not actually “expending” energy. Also; does the ordering of your units matter at all for your macros as long as they’re able to one shot the earth shrine mobs?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Bob NewSCART posted:

Well basically I’m just trying to figure out how to be farming TMR the quickest while not actually “expending” energy. Also; does the ordering of your units matter at all for your macros as long as they’re able to one shot the earth shrine mobs?

The macro has unit 1 and 3 do the attacking, so just avoid putting units with really long attack animations in those slots.

Magner
Oct 21, 2010
Are any of these Wind-up [FFXIV Unit]s useful or are they just here to make me spend lapis on equipment slots?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Magner posted:

Are any of these Wind-up [FFXIV Unit]s useful or are they just here to make me spend lapis on equipment slots?

Wind-up Alphinaud gives auto refresh and Wind-up Y'shtola gives +30 spr , the rest just give meh statboosts and a measly 20% stat buff in battle, so only really helpful to new players.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

They’re also getting 10 loving raid orbs...

:argh:

Why wasn't this a thing to begin with? It's very annoying to have 5.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

For Dragonlord, all you need to know is Kafrizzle +2 is a 2100% damage fire spell with a 200MP cost in Japan.

e: And Hyou has access to a 100% fire imperil.
From the sound of things our enhanced version is gonna be even more busted, cause this is how strong the spell starts on Global:

quote:

Kafrizzle
Before: 7x, 99 MP
After: 20x, 80 MP

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
As a comparison, what is Emperor's Fire From Below at max stacks?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The max stack is 25x enhanced, I think, along with its 2 turn 50% fire imperil.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I wouldn't call this banner amazing and I certainly don't encourage anyone going nuts on it (though the fact that baseline Kafrizzle is getting buffed to within 5% of what fully enhanced kafrizzle is seems to indicate that the 5* might be insane); I will say that, right now even we're getting to the point that people are less interested in 4* as what they are for units and more for what TMRs they have. We have the benefit of knowing about the - essentially - planned obsolescence of anything below 5* base, so I rarely judge a 4* unit any more based solely upon what they can do and look more at what their tmr can enabled.

LMS seems like the exception since he can get upwards of 3k def (unfortunately the most broken stuff for him is either limited TMRs or ring of dominion). But even with 4 of the 40% materia he can still get to over 2500 defense, which is around 3500 defense with buffs. So if we do get the achievement style stuff where it's "defeat x while unit has y or better stats" he's the perfect candidate for getting any defense or spirit clears. For instance, though, he can't survive an aigaion punch without significant help. Even assuming 4x 40% def materia, 2 arsha's talismans and 100% buffs (3500~ defense) the punch still deals over twice LMS' health. And his biggest weakness is most definitely non-elemental magic damage. He would be basically impossible to keep alive on a fight like Malboro.

Most of the saving grace of these units are the TMRs though.

Robin 'ood is worth a little more consideration now since his axe got a global buff so it's tied for the highest atk axe and is non-elemental. Axes are not common or popular weapon types, though, so this is a pretty fringe benefit. Good for those of you who pulled Fire Veritas at least.

Golem (the other 3*) is fodder, at best. Unconditional 40% defense is vaguely notable, but only barely so. If you're worried about defense you're likely going to be able to wear a large shield which lets you use EV's TM for the same effect.

Orochi's unconditional 40% atk TM is nice in a vacuum, but we already have Proud Fencer, Uncollapsing Will and SSP-E (40% with GS, Sword and heavy armor respectively). So obviously there's only a very small window at this point where you can't use one of those. It's mostly in the realm of TDH Katana users (since they want Training Clothes for the extra atk). So future proof your Sephiroth I guess? Except he doesn't have any TDH passives outside of his TM until 7*/120. Basically it has some uses (as the only option) in some incredibly min-max-y corner cases.

The robot's sword is nice - and built in machine killer is pretty sweet. Non-elemental high atk swords are hard to come by, but if you're not fighting a machine it's only a marginal upgrade over Sorcery. Still really only valuable as a killer weapon.

LMS I've gone over in general, but it's worth noting that his TMR is a light shield which prevents most of the important disabling ailments. It could be a replacement for a ribbon or protection materia in a couple fights. But, because it doesn't prevent blind, disease or silence, it's not as good in a general sense where you're going to have every ailment in the book thrown at you. Disease going through means a 10% break that stacks with other breaks; blind and silence means your tank is likely unable to do its secondary role whether it be minor healing/ressing with magic or using counters to generate LB crystals/esper orbs.

Dragonlord's TM isn't really worth noting unless you really want Pure White Blessing because it's identical to that.

If the MK weapons are all super expensive it might be worth getting a bonus team together to farm them as 3 of them are very good. I'll probably drop 10 tickets and do some dailies in the hopes of at least getting a decent farming party.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 26, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That's pretty much my plan. I'd like to grab 1 of all the non-Dragon Lord units, doubling or tripling up on the Killer Machine so farming that sword will be quicker. The sword is the only TMR I see as worth getting. Non elemental Axe is neat and all but I have a pair of Viking Axes I don't even use when there's an enemy weak to Water because there's just so many better options and not enough passive materia support.

Speaking of Materia, boy is that new White Dragon one underwhelming. I guess it's for Noctis...? Maybe PG Lasswell if he does a lot of hybrid damage?

Did the 4 man party with Chow, Ayaka, Ramza and Fryevia. Ayaka was completely superfluous and I could have swapped in Eiko to help build the esper gauge quicker. Chow had like 100+/60/100+/80 in terms of Fire/Ice/Lightning/Earth resists but even the Ice damage barely phased him; fudged the Esper kill so I went back in with a better team, dropped it to 30% on turn 1 and Chow still shrugged off 3 thesholds worth of damage.

Who's a good dog?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I don't think Liquid Metal Babble gets any materia slots. It can only equip two accessories, and a light shield if you give it the Gauntlet.

Also Cagnazzo has a 40% defense materia with 25% water resistance. It's situational vs Golem's TMR but worth getting before Golem assuming you have both at the same starting TM%.

e: I'm gonna pull, I'm not going to chase anything but any of the 4*s I wouldn't mind. Robot has a good sword that would go great with the Gaia Hammer for shredding robots, 40% unconditional is alright but Orochi looks cool, and LMB for gimmick poo poo basically.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 26, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Getting this collab now and the Esturk one when DQXI actually launches seems like a possibility, too. We should have 7* units by September.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 26, 2018

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
I'm not ashamed to admit that I'll be pulling hard for LMS just because its so cute

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I tend to try new trials "blind" just for the enjoyment of seeing the power of the monters. Went in with DPS of Orlandeau and DV with Excals and Moonblades each.

haha ok ok dragon, I'll stop by agian with twin Aileens, no worries.

EDIT: Should I add 2x Kryla to my TMR farming crew? I don't have an element resist setup, and that seems like a good start, but is that actually worthwhile?

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 26, 2018

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Ugato posted:

LMS I've gone over in general, but it's worth noting that his TMR is a light shield which prevents most of the important disabling ailments. It could be a replacement for a ribbon or protection materia in a couple fights. But, because it doesn't prevent blind, disease or silence, it's not as good in a general sense where you're going to have every ailment in the book thrown at you. Disease going through means a 10% break that stacks with other breaks; blind and silence means your tank is likely unable to do its secondary role whether it be minor healing/ressing with magic or using counters to generate LB crystals/esper orbs.

LMS Shield prevents Disease. Blind/Silence are the ones it is missing, which are largely ignorable on my people who want to use a light shield.

e: vvv this is completely incorrect, hell, LMS still sees use in the JP 7* meta. Because a 3000 HP barrier on a unit with 1500+ Defense and 80% damage mitigation passive, suddenly that barrier is a HUGE amount of effective HP.

Dana Crysalis fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 26, 2018

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Scrublord Prime posted:

I don't think Liquid Metal Babble gets any materia slots. It can only equip two accessories, and a light shield if you give it the Gauntlet.

Ok, “straight garbage and only exists to make deceptively large numbers” it is then.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Anybody know what triggers ‘the plume exploded’ for the Garuda fight? I’m not sure if it’s number of turns or HP below a certain %. She also ran away one time, but I think I went too many turns.

Also, I have a question about burst pots. I’ve been hanging onto all my pots because I don’t know who to dump them onto. My general team is Basch/Barbariccia/Noctis/BS Sakura/Rikku. Any of them worth boosting their LB?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

Anybody know what triggers ‘the plume exploded’ for the Garuda fight? I’m not sure if it’s number of turns or HP below a certain %. She also ran away one time, but I think I went too many turns.

Also, I have a question about burst pots. I’ve been hanging onto all my pots because I don’t know who to dump them onto. My general team is Basch/Barbariccia/Noctis/BS Sakura/Rikku. Any of them worth boosting their LB?

None of those characters is particularly pot worth given your current team.

I'd consider Barb. 74% Wind and Lightning debuff is something both Noctis and Sakura(and Barb herself) can take advantage of, the LB cost is cheap enough you can use it frequently as well.

If you're new enough that's your team then you probably don't have the gear to get Noctis into a position where he can keep his LB up, otherwise his buff would be great not to mention finishing level damage. Noctis is probably the best choice if you had a stronger lineup and some good gear to help support his LB generation.

So yeah, I think at the current moment you'd see more gains from Barb, but later on Noctis would be stronger but you'll get more pots by that point.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Dana Crysalis posted:

LMS Shield prevents Disease. Blind/Silence are the ones it is missing, which are largely ignorable on my people who want to use a light shield.

e: vvv this is completely incorrect, hell, LMS still sees use in the JP 7* meta. Because a 3000 HP barrier on a unit with 1500+ Defense and 80% damage mitigation passive, suddenly that barrier is a HUGE amount of effective HP.

Hah. Didn’t even know that was a stat value on the wiki. Fun. The 80% mitigation changes a decent amount of math. The fact that it eliminates the dr double dipping for squeezing out extra mitigation is notable, but it’s in line with the beefiest of Provoke tanks (Noel and Wilhelm) as they essentially have baked in DR as well. It’s just part of their provoke instead of a passive buff.

Ultimately when it comes to tanks, they have to be in threat of dying or it’s mostly just down to whatever else they bring to the table, so I’m wondering how much raw damage they can take until they die. If they’re in no danger of dying, LMS is actually super nice because any regen is going to be a full heal for him.

LMS (720 hp, 2197 def and 80% dr) is 7.9m raw damage til death. He does actually survive the robot punch, incidentally. And the only spammable barrier I know of is from Marie. With that, his damage-to-death jumps to 29.9m. Ayaka’s stronger (but 3 turn CD) barrier brings him up to 40.8m

Wilhelm (14k hp, 800 def, 40% dr) is 18.7m raw damage til death. This is probably a bit conservative for a Wilhelm with bard buffs, but you get the gist.

7* Wilhelm can get up to 1500~ def buffed and over 20k hp, so he jumps up to 51.6m raw damage.

Noel (14k hp, 900 def, 50% dr) is 25.2m raw damage til death. He can also self-cast a DR (Steel) which bumps it up to 50.4m.

Also, the ever present global buff of “we have Illusionist Nichol” exists, so LMS’ value goes up here.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 26, 2018

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ugato posted:

Ok, “straight garbage and only exists to make deceptively large numbers” it is then.

LMS exists to have its limit leveled up, given a Carbon Bangle (+500 HP), and either a Pod 153 or Rikku's Pouch, both of which will add some utility to it. Then it sits around provoking everything, ignoring basically all damage, and occasionally popping support abilities. And if you're rolling with iNichol, it'll also phys tank for the entire group without even blinking.

The deceptive number is its tiny-rear end HP. It has 80% damage reduction that stacks with anything else, 999 defense, and 500 spirit. Its HP goes a LONG loving way.

Quality Control
Feb 2, 2001

Your are very dangerous. Be dead down here.
Plus LMS makes it really easy to finish the whale-level DEF parameter mission if we get those in global. That one rewards an accessory with +20 DEF, +50% DEF and 10% physical damage reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Well, I'm glad I don't have to do that again.

In other news, the new dragon was a bit too easy. I kept blowing past too many thresholds at once and getting Basch KO'ed. Slow and steady wins this race.

Edit: img post fail

werdnam fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 27, 2018

• Locked thread