Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
Whats the deal with the authors names? Most of these trash ones all seem to be two initials, last name. Like SL Smith.
Is it something to do with an algorithm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's been a weird upsurge in Japanese light novels featuring slavery as a good thing and I'm not thrilled to see that attitude spreading.

Its just weird and the unrealized implications take me right out of it.
All these stories with perfect slavery magic or contract magic (basically the same thing) that have no downsides to the master.
These societies should be 100 percent slaves with one person controlling everything, but its never explained why that hasn't happened.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
The Land books are definitely getting worse. Lots of spelling mistakes/missing words. And the pacing is worse. He even includes a pointless army boot camp section too.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

navyjack posted:

Just finished the most recent book in the Respawn Series by Arthur Stone. I have a weird relationship with these books because I really like them and I know I shouldn’t.

I just read them all thanks to your req. I would have to agree.
I also liked the zombie parts, how the zombies mutate and advance was nice. And he handled it pretty well with how at the start the basic zombies were a bit of a challenge and the advanced ones were super nightmares. I like the crazy evolved zombies, I get bored when the zombie books all just boil down to other people being the real monsters.

Only thing bad was how aggressively stupid the main character was at the start.
I think it had an exchange like this about 3 different times.

-Main Character is doing something obviously stupid.
Old Veteran sees this and says: Hey there moron, you are doing it all wrong, I've been in this crazy world for years, and I've learned three things to help you survive, the first is to always...
MC: gently caress you rear end in a top hat, who are you to call me a moron!@!!@!

I think the author realized this, because in a later book he finds out that he is actually stupid/brain damaged until he gets to level 10.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Victorkm posted:

I'm in the middle of book 2 of the Idle System and hoo boy is this really really badly written. It's readable but prose is drat near nonexistent and contains the sentence "He did a martial arts salute..." multiple times throughout the book but never once explains what that is or what it looks like.

The premise of it isn't terrible. Basically a dude gets reincarnated into the most generic fantasy world where everyone is named "Carl" and "Michael" etc, the places are named "North Kingdom" "South Kingdom" etc and he shows up near "Newbie Town" and travels past "Rocky Town" through the first book. Its basically a cultivation based world but the main character skips over all of that using the titular Idle System to level up his body passively.

Its just so stupid, I read all of them. The authors afterwords are great, at book 2 he starts getting really defensive about the stupid stuff in the earlier books. Spoilers for the series,... At the end the MC gets time travel powers and spends the whole book going back in time to fix/explain all the plot holes and really stupid stuff that happened in the earlier books, that the author had previously defended in his afterwords.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

LLSix posted:

It feels like the stats exist more to enable the power fantasy than anything else, but maybe that's what most readers want?

I think it's to have the power fantasy without making the reader feel bad.
If the MC gets good skills through practice and hard work then what's stopping you from not being useless? But if they only can do it because the SYSTEM uses their video game skills in real life, well then there is nothing to be done.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
is book 5 the last one?
or does it end on a cliffhanger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Not only do all places not have the same rules, rules have changed over time in many places. In a grounded dystopian fantasy world set in the very near future, it's not impossible for it to change. Plus debt collectors love to try that poo poo even if it isn't legal.

In this story the debt collectors do trick him into taking the debt. They call him in to get his inheritance, some small amount of stuff, and that gets him to sign for the debts.