Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Okay this movie owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

CRINDY posted:

Every time Elf Parkour happened I burst out laughing.

Orcs have a STR bonus while elves have a DEX bonus. It’s just science.

I liked how low-key animalistic the elves were, actually. The movie kind of implies that they have orc-like senses of smell and they’re always pouncing and clinging to walls and stuff.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It seems like being a Bright means NOT having magic of your own but just being able to survive/control any of the extremely rare examples of magic which you might run into out in the world.

That’s why Tikka seemed convinced she could do something with that pool of water (teleport?) and probably why Leilah could summon the wand to her hands or regenerate while close enough to it. Or maybe the regeneration was some kind of contingency she put on herself before lending out the wand.

I think the movie did a pretty good job of making it look like there were rules, but nobody who wasn’t a weirdo elf arcanist knew them. So we see people openly fantasizing about unlimited wish fulfillment but then in practice the wand has some kind of internal cooldown, Tikka starts dying from the strain of using it too dramatically, etc.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Magic doesn’t low key hypnotize people. It’s just extremely rare, arcane (in the sense of secret and esoteric), dangerous, and contingent on external sources of leverage. There’s still hospitals and farms and things because actual sources of magical power are few, far between, and closely guarded, and also because magic has limitations and costs that most people don’t understand.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 26, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Jesus was an elven sorcerer who tried to use his dark power to seize control of the mortal world. Bright posits an alternate history in which someone stopped him.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Under the vegetable posted:

It's much smarter than Crash and I've yet to be convinced that anyone who sees this movie as racist is correct, rather than having racism so deeply ingrained into them that they see everything colored through their own stereotyping

The thing is, David Ayer is like an otaku but for MS-13.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Bright is not one of those movies though. We have no idea why the elves are the bad guys or why one elf decided to leave the evil gang for example.

Yes we do. There's a cult of elvish dark lord worshipers, but a member of the cult fell in with a competing, opposed cult instead.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Landis's original script where you can just sit down and learn magic if you do enough homework sounds way lamer than the movie we got.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

We also never learn why the blue haired Magic Fed didn't become a line cook or how that centaur got his job.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

There’s like 0% chance that somebody who positions themselves around “worldbuilding mistakes” actually has anything to say. It’s invariably some “PLOT HOLE: Despite being designed to be servants by scientists, replicants are disobedient” poo poo.

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like a wee bit of this is a wee bit too nitpicky because...well, even though the worldbuilding is in fact kinda weird and makes no sense, this is really only a noticeable problem because the rest of the film isn't compelling or well-written enough to distract from that sort of thing. By which I mean, no one would really give a crap about out-of-place Shrek jokes if only the story surrounding that joke was less balls.

To that end, I did appreciate the parts of the review that went in-depth about just why exactly this film was so...hard to like. I mean, basically the first thing our hero even does is to slaughter an animal.

Hell, he might be slaughtering a person for all we know.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

My suspicion is that the Dark Lord was actually Christlike and the members of the grand alliance of nine races that stopped him or her were the baddies.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

porfiria posted:

Obviously, the implication is that Jesus WAS the Dark Lord, leading the oppressed races (Orcs/Germanic tribes) against the Romans/Elves. Noomi is trying to bring him back because she's a Jew for Jesus and...I'm bored now I'm gonna go eat some Chipotle.

She’s trying to bring him back for the same reason that American evangelicals are attempting to resummon Jesus IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Orcs aren’t stand-ins for black people. They’re a hypothetical ethnic group even lower on the American racial totem pole than black people are.

• Locked thread