Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Family is watching this, but other family came over so we stopped about half way through. But im currently at odds with this movie. If you put a white man in will Smith's role, the entire movie makes more sense as just a black guy becoming a cop. That it's written by a privileged white dude shows with the language and scenarios he uses to ground race issues. Just fantasy Crash with cops which means even less subtly. Edgerton saves the movie from being just a downer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Pick posted:

I can't believe you guys are complaining that the cast is diverse. gently caress you. PS there are actual Latino people, black people, and women in the real LAPD! No centaurs though.

Could you please quote the posts saying this? It seems most are reacting to the movie. The same movie that has a black man say fairy lives won't matter today.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Ok finished it. Meh.

strong bird posted:

Will Smith is the white cop.

I know. The movie is about how the social construct of whiteness now encompasses black folks so they can also punch down on orcs. The movie is essentially the good ones are alright to trust, and whiteness will prevail beyond the other. Doesn't help orcs are explicitly replacing black people.

I'm the rare Landis fan, loved American ultra and chronicle, and even bright shows his affinity for making great revisionist takes on the dreaded CPR scene that usually ends a movie. Bright was just too ignorant of actual racial issues to say anything about them. It's adult zootopia.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 26, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

I think you maybe watched a different film than the rest of us? These sentences seem basically unrelated to the film Bright.

How? Did you listen to any of the dialogue? Will Smith is constantly making sure the orc's not choosing his people over their oppressors who hundreds of years ago essentially started orc Jim Crow. At the end of the movie, the nebulous jew stand ins will allow them to continue only if they keep up the current status quo.

As a black man, this movie does nothing but bring up what is actually going on in the US and it falls super short in saying anything that assuages those moments.

I've seen folks talk about the world building, good and bad, but no one seems to actually explain what they mean. For me, the world building was apparent based on will Smith's character. He lives in an all black neighborhood, and is visible upset an orc comes through, regardless of his profession and relationship. The police department is almost all white( Margaret cho is the fully formed asian minority being accepted as white) except for the latino cop who is also trying his best to be a model minority and keep up the white status quo. Smith's boss (another good one) tells him no one wants to partner with him, yet the only thing we see him do that other cops don't do is mix race with his white wife. He's even applauded for returning, so it's not his on the job behavior that's an issue. Elftown might as well be called jew York.

They try to have Smith's daughter spout cute stuff, but it's just ignorant racist poo poo she heard from her mom, which while honest, doesn't help the movie.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 26, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

It's actually a subtle movie about sexism. There are no female orcs in the movie apart from in the club, being overtly sexualized. Every female elf is a cold-blooded killer. And I'm not even sure there were any female humans.

There's a few women, margaret cho, the black police Captain, Smith's wife.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 26, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

A lot of orcs lost their traditional names when they were brought over to the new world.

Jakoby == Toby?

And i really want to know how other black Americans feel about watching bright. Chance the rapper is currently trending on Twitter because of his takes.

https://twitter.com/chancetherapper/status/945822924602335232?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E0

https://twitter.com/chancetherapper/status/945825515973292032?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E0

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I'm going to assume chance doesn't usually engage in films critically so he can't exactly articulate what he means. But I'm sure he's talking about how the movie references real life (___ lives matter and shrek) and yet the world has yet to learn from any of it despite "moving on" even if artificially to hate on otherworldly creatures. Humans have assumed roles, and so every "race" is doing their part to keep the human construct up while facing elves and orcs. So in a way, what we know as racism is gone, at least the term is, replaced with a new order for humanity to continue on.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 28, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Under the vegetable posted:

It's much smarter than Crash and I've yet to be convinced that anyone who sees this movie as racist is correct, rather than having racism so deeply ingrained into them that they see everything colored through their own stereotyping

The movie uses an all lives matter meme and has orcs reenacting scenes from the wire, but yes, it's just us seeing the mirrored racism from our hearts in this piece of art about orcs and elves.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 28, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yeah, it seems like it. This reminds me of the Cornel West/Ta-Nehisi Coates thing all over again, with an argument for awareness of the intersectionality of race and class butting heads with a shallow dependence on conflict. I don't know how productive it is to tell people who come out of a work with positive messages like racial harmony is good, the police are bad, the rich disproportionately influence our lives, etc, that actually the great thing they just watched is racist and they should feel like poo poo, especially when these criticisms are rooted in such shallow, halfhearted, occasionally dishonest readings of the source material.

Productive? Telling people to feel bad? What a childish view of art. Oh no, what you like might be problematic, it's bad for me to bring that up because it might reflect on your own racism? Is it just scary you didn't see what we saw and now you don't want to be a bigot? Because trying to toss in cornel West anything into this discussion of race and class makes you look incredible ignorant, especially when class is only part of the problem in this country that was built on the enslavement and genocide of the other. But it's fine, revel in your half assed allegorical movies about race as they're the only way you would engage "honestly" in the actual discussion of struggle we black folks have.

Side question, do you think we want to see racism in this film? That we're just stringing stuff together to dunk on people who say sjw and pc sincerely? If i could watch a rad movie about orcs and elves in the future without being reminded that the US thinks my people should still be slaves in some states, I'd never post here again. Unfortunately, Landis is a privileged white guy who lives in a city that demonized black folks since celluloid made it to the West.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 28, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The dumbest part about the alamo line is that the Mexicans were trying to get rid of slavery and the Texans didn't even want to pay the token property tax Mexico was trying to work out with them to look the other way.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

You don't speak for every black person you insane racist. Your entire first paragraph might as well be spoken into a mirror. I'm really sick of people who live on fomenting hatred and violence and try to shout down everyone working for peace. Maybe if you gave a single poo poo you'd know that the US doesn't just THINK black people should still be slaves, they're literally in robes in historically unprecedented numbers picking cotton for private individual's profits right now. The 13th only abolished slavery "except as punishment for a crime" and then America just doubled down since. And you're talking about how an anti-racist loving movie hurts.

The movie isn't anti racist, that you think so is the same dumb post racial bullshit Get Out was specifically pointing out. At most it's about 3 beings working to stay alive, even Ward admits repeatedly he's a piece of poo poo. The script was even intended for a white man, that will Smith plays him didn't change the words he says or the world he's in. You closing your eyes to that and calling me a racist for pointing that out would be ironic if it wasn't a part of the tried and true fragility guilt trip use to kick the actual race discussion down the road so you don't have to feel bad for being on the wrong side of it.

Also, something more than "nuhuh" is needed to actually back up your claim that the movie is anti racist, whatever that means. You do realize the nypd employs black people and they're considered a racist institution. So why would a fantasy version of that be enlightening?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 28, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

this seems to be your entire position w this particular example of progressive art

Can you point out why it's progressive or you just gonna keep flailing at your hurt feelings about being a racist?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I, and many others, have done so itt several times. You just keep screaming that it's racist because Mexicans are cast in the movie and poo poo.

So, no, you can't, especially after we've discussed how a black man working in the nypd doesn't stop the institution from being racist. It's ok to not know how to articulate how you feel about a movie. Rolling around in ignorance like are, afraid of other people's takes, doesn't do you any favors.

Easy question: can you point to the moment when their relationship wasn't out of an obligation to staying alive? And remember, not killing someone doesn't mean you're not a racist, half the country has gotten by without doing it, so a cop being able to do it, shouldn't exactly be commendable.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 29, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mandrel posted:

dude I don’t have a dog in this fight but just jumping in to say I can’t figure out what the gently caress point you’re arguing at this point and I doubt he can either

Frankly there isn't a point as I'm just trying to figure out why they're so adverse to thinking about the movie outside of it's aesthetics by asking them questions that poke their theory, that the movie is racially progressive. That poster got mad that I and others pointed out this movie doesn't know what it's doing with race. They considered it as calling the film racist, which I've never once called the film racist, but it is using racist memes and tropes that never do anything with them. They continued going down some tangent about how we see racism cause we're racist, and now you're caught up. Django unchained also presents racism with out giving a satisfactory ending, but it's presented as part of the theme of the film, that there is no satisfactory response to racism. That this poster immediately jumped from film has racism in it to therefore it's racist is why we can't have these discussions in the first place.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 29, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I didn't think Bright was amazing or anything, but one of the things I liked about it was that it placed orcs and elves and that as parallel groups to traditional racial/ethnic lines. The orcs are only "just black people with tusks" if you don't look at any of the details.

The details are that they are visually coded to be a poc amalgam. They wear sports attire, kangol hats and chains, standing outside in unemployed groups blasting rap while drinking 40s. The lynching of Jacoby. Even "blooded" dips it's toes into gang culture. Its disengenous to try to some how elevate the word vomit exposition of neutered dnd rules, when the visuals do more than enough to get the point across.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 19, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

https://youtu.be/_-7tryyJ0Ro

Just gonna say we can get into the etemology of music and all that, but the movie is clearly playing fast and loose with it's tropes. Black folks got voodoo and are equated with the devil in all forms of culture. Of course they're a different group, doesn't mean they can't also signify something else.

Remember this movie didn't originally have a black protagonist, so potentially, just that one police Captain, if that, would've been the sole black representative in the film, as that intro scene definitely wouldn't take place in an all black neighborhood. As such, the "they don't replace them" logic barely holds, because once they appear, the others don't reappear.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Can you point in the movie where it fixes this issue?

quote:

the "they don't replace them" logic barely holds, because once they appear, the others don't reappear.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

There is a prominent black character that appears throughout the movie. But you obviously know that, so I won't pretend that's responsive. But can you clarify who "the others" are that aren't "black people"? Because, obviously, there's other black people in the movie than the neighbors at the start: the main character, for one.

That character spouts anti blm rhetoric, is he really the stand in for them? Or, like Jacoby, does the movie not state they're both unique in their stations?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I don't think anyone calling them black people with tusks is being literal, as noted will Smith is black. What they could be alluding to is how the movie replaces historically black roles with a fantasy character but still draped in their imagery. Black people don't pop up again in the movie accept for the female police captain. What you're left with is visual cliches standing in for the usual black character roles, while the Latinos never changed their script. This is friday 4: tolkien edition, if you wanna talk black comedies.

I bring up will Smith's original character choice because he still talks like his original character choice, and the movie barely plays to him being black other than the intro taking place in that neighborhood. A better writer might do more than roll out the tried and true us vs them but this time the skin is green not brown. Smith doesn't even try to play up that they're both looked down, it just plays as tone deaf. Which throws back to, are blacks oppressed in this world, or is it just a fictional world where we chose that lot/don't exist out side of an edit? The FLM comment would make more sense.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 20, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

A white one yeah. Look at Chris dorner if you want to talk about black cops dealing with racism, let alone the lapd. That is to say, they're not ignorant of it or their place.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Nothing to advocate. Dorner is just an extreme example that tosses the idea that the cops are a monolith regardless of color. It's well known in the community, a black cop has to be twice as vicious to prove their loyalty to the blue wall. Especially when the kkk is still actively recruiting in us police departments.

• Locked thread