Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So my Google fu is failing me. It seems like underground is one of the best places to get exotic drops in 1.8, but is there a better chance for them to drop (or for hunters to spawn)on challenging vs hard? I like running hard because I can literally just run and gun through single phase ops in like 5 minutes, but I'm not sure if there's a higher drop chance/hunter spawn rate that would make the extra couple of minutes spent on challenging worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

After an intense few days of farming I finally had The House drop from a DZ boss. Extracting it was the most stressful thing I've done in this game, but thankfully it was late so I got it out without interference. It's a beautiful one too, rolled Ferocious and another junk talent I rerolled to Responsive on my first try and then fully optimized it. The thing just... melts. 134k headshot crits on a 850+rpm gun and a D3-FNC build is a thing of beauty.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

poptart_fairy posted:

What's your FA to get damage like that? :catstare:

6200 FA, but I stack a lot of multipliers. I'm running an offensive D3-FNC/Ninjabike/Nomad set up with classified pieces and Big Alejandro/The House. Most people seem to run the shield in a defensive set up but those shield damage mods add a LOT of damage, and the shield lets you be really aggressive and push up on NPCs. I also use purple stam mods with DTE. Combined with Nomad, poo poo just melts and you get a nice 15% heal for everyone you kill.

Here's a video I did of my first Solo Lex Challenging run with The House, a nice <10 minute clear. I love this gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5fGZznE7o

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

poptart_fairy posted:

Well holy poo poo time to tweak my own build then.

After more experimenting, I think I slightly prefer 4 D3-FNC, Barret's Vest, and Savage Gloves with about 7,300 FA. I ended up with more toughness, crit chance, and damage (141k HS crits!) at the loss of 10% Health on Kill. I just rolled Health on Kill on the vest instead of armor damage. Either one works great of course, it's just a choice of more damage/initial toughness or better health sustainability.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'm glad you guys are interested in the D3-FNC build. Here's the non Ninjabike build I tend to prefer:

If you don't have a House, I ran with an MP-5 ST pre 1.8 and it's still solid. Second weapon is your choice, but I prefer either a MMR or LMG to give you some range. LMG is also nice for suppressing so you can run up on fools and SMG them in the face. Shoot for 7000 FA then dump the rest into stam/electronics. I went for at least 4832 electronics since I happened to get Ferocious on both of my exotics and I like having a little electronics to pump up shield health/heal strength, but you could also push for 6k sta for the shield health bump from D3-FNC as well. To get this stat spread I used 4 FA pieces and a STA piece with electronic/health gear mods and one purple stam/dte mod. Performance mods are ballistic shield damage - this is the key to making this build hit so hard. Make sure you have some Health on Kill somewhere (I rolled it on chest) so you can replenish as you kill. And make sure you take the combat medic talent, it lets your med kits heal your shield.

For playstyle, I like to open with either my LMG or MMR to kill/weaken whatever enemies I can, then switch to the shield and charge up as close as possible to burn them down with your SMG. Keep in mind your shield is plenty hardy for popping out and burning things down but it is not a tanky shield where you can draw fire from 10 baddies at once and facetank them. Think of the shield as truly mobile cover, not an invincible hunk of metal. Use it to cut around corners and shoot things as they come into view, or lure enemies into a corridor where you can mow them down. Use the environment to keep your flanks covered as much as possible. One of your weaknesses is mobility - getting surrounded is one of your biggest threats. If that happens and you get overwhelmed, try to pull back to a place where you have a corner to hide behind to let your shield regen and you can't be flanked. You're still pretty tanky even when surrounded, and thanks to your damage you can usually kill whatever's in front of you before the flankers fully get into position.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Edit: I have some more fun short (~1m) videos with the build.

1. So that thing about not getting flanked? Yeah, that goes double with hunters. I was mindlessly blasting through my weekly 5 directive when I had a second set of hunters pop up on my last phase. I totally wasn't expecting it. In this video I run right around the corner and get AXED IN THE loving FACE when I realized they were right behind me. Thank god my shield went up just as he hit, I nearly poo poo a brick from that one. As you can see though, hunters are easy as poo poo with this build as long as you don't let them run up and nearly axe you in the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFYF8ubPLk

2. Some DZ action solo clearing a contamination event. I love how easy this build makes those flamethrower cleaner bosses. The worst part was the annoying melee gently caress that kept stopping my reload. Just let me put in a new magazine you fucker! :argh: Best part was I extracted two classified pieces while the rogues were having a dickwaving contest you can see starting in the chat box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqcy8OGpQzI

I love this game.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 31, 2017

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

poptart_fairy posted:

I assume health on kill is to negate getting winged rather a crutch or anything?

Yeah, it's good for pushing into the next health segment and recovering from random dings. If you look in the contamination video you'll notice it's enough to keep me up against the slow health drain (except for when that annoying melee pinned me down). I've tried running without any, but I definitely noticed when it was missing. That's still a ~14k heal on every kill and it definitely adds up.

Edit: I swear every time I make an effort post it ends up at the bottom of a page.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 31, 2017

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah my second favorite build is classified nomad (actually 5 piece with a Barrett's Vest). I was still able to do challenging lex in under 10 minutes, challenging UG, solo DZ landmarks etc with the Nomad and you're still pretty tanky. However, for me personally I can do everything faster and better with my D3-FNC set. Admittedly this may be because I've been using it since the D3-FNC set was put in the game and I just know its quirks better. But nomad is definitely my 2nd choice by a longshot and it's very solid. The one thing it does have on the shield is mobility - I loved being able to move around and reposition without having to worry about that 1 second delay while you deploy the shield.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

If you have classy striker you owe it to yourself to do either a 4/9/3 shotgun/ar build or a 4/6/5 build with a skilled/determined/commanding M4 for perma tac link. I’ll post a vid soon.

I unfortunately don't have it, I took a break for the first few GEs. I'd like to see how it plays though!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

poptart_fairy posted:

Hey Hakarne, I got my build to 7k/4k/3k, with 130k skill power, and even without a House the game is thoroughly broken. 3 classy D3, 1 classy Nomad, Barret chest and ninja bag.

With those purple DTE mods anything under my crosshair melts. Even UG hunters have stopped being a threat, as pumping 150k headshots into then does the trick.

Nice! Are you using the 4% FA ones? I need to pick me up some of those, I just had 3% STA ones.

And yeah, I kind of feel like the game's broken with that set up. I think a part of it too is the AI just doesn't adapt well to you being practically invulnerable in close quarters with such high damage. Shotgunners are a joke, and everything from hunters to those Riker machine gunners simply don't react well when you run up <10m from them and melt their face. The only real threat is getting totally surrounded by 5+ enemies or other truly ridiculous poo poo. I had a challenging UG where I overlooked the alarm and ended up with 4 shield machine gun dudes, 3 medics, and a sniper in an open area. poo poo was crazy but I still managed to get through it.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Haha holy poo poo, thanks for pointing out those DtE FA mods. This is the second spawn in Lexington basement, I managed to kill 4 elites with one magazine then dropped the Heavy with 179k HS crits from The House. poo poo is loving nuts.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Holy poo poo what the hell did they do to the shield in PvP? Like it was never the greatest for PvP but it used to last longer than like .5 seconds and be ok in 1v1 if you had decent positioning. Got jumped by a group of rogues and it was melted before the animation to deploy it finished, and that was with just one shooting me. loving lol

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

ZombyDog posted:

Marcostyle's take on the D3 set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBfOIOORFSA

Without the 6pc Classified bonus, I don't imagine the shield is a great PVP tool.

Yeah drat, sounds like they nerfed the resilience to compensate for the massive HP increase you could get from the classified set. Well poo poo, maybe I will roll classified nomad instead when I roll solo in the DZ...

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I'm close to getting classified striker done - what are some good weapon combinations to run it with? Primarily for solo PvE, but I'd also like a good solo set up for surviving the DZ. I have an ok showstopper so I imagine for most things it's "showstopper/x", but I'm definitely open to alternative suggestions. Also, what rolls should I go for on gloves? Is there an up to date "best rolls" guide for PvE/PvP?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

HiriseSoftware posted:

Even so, if you're never had the chance to complete Stolen Signal before because you don't like dealing with random groups, the current Global Event really is the chance to do it. I'm just glad there aren't any "don't die" or "don't use skills" commendations.

Is that because the modifier makes it mind-numbingly easy or because actual competent people are running it now?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Stolen Signal is terrible and whoever made it should feel bad. It felt like the worst of WoW mechanics meets The Division's original end game at release. The hostage shielding mechanic is janky as gently caress, the bosses are bullet sponges to artificially prolong fights, and it feels like half of it they intentionally removed the "cover" mechanic from their cover-based shooter. The only cool thing was the western set, but again that was ruined by the most annoying mechanic possible.

It was so bad and unpleasant that I'm kind of concerned they'll put more of that type of steaming dog poo poo in D2 since that was the last incursion they added.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I really like the shields idea but holy gently caress the commendation one is insane. I've played a ridiculous amount since release and just now hit 2k score. Just getting that shield will take at least 2-3x as long as all of the other shields combined, and that's with specifically doing boring and repetitive grinds for commendation points. I started looking at what I have left and it's more daunting than it is something fun to look forward to.

They should cut that one by like 1/3 or even 1/2. I want to get all of the shields but I'm not sure if I have 100 hours of pure grinding left in these tired old bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Zigmidge posted:

100 hours sure is some embellishment lol

I think I have just over 200 hours in the div and I'm sitting on like 3500 score and I didn't optimal-grind any of those commendations.

I guess I'm playing the game wrong because I have 529 hours and just hit 2k this weekend.

Also holy gently caress I've played The Division for more than 3 full weeks of my life :negative: