Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I feel like I just have garbage luck... outside of that GE, I haven''t found a single piece of Classy Gear, and I've gotten a LOT of Gear Set caches and green caches from the DZ at this point. The fact that even in the GE the chances were relatively slim of you getting a piece (<50%) and you need to collect a full 6 pieces from a table of what? 8 different Classy sets? Means it's inordinately difficult to get a set, and from my solo wanderings of the DZ where I got murderated by multiple groups of people with full classy sets, tehre is just no way a regular person can hope to compete with them.

Am I just dumb and bad at this? I've been doing HVTs, doing group funruns in DZ06-09, been running Underground missions and doing the Dailies and Weeklies, even did a few Challenging Incursions and ran around the WSP doing dailies and alerts on my own... 0 Classified Gear pieces, excluding a piece I found in the DZ last night which I THINK was classified, I didn't have enough time to really check since we got murdered by Rogues right after.

What activities have the best chance for Classy poo poo? Am I just hosed if my friends never want to play Resistance/we aren't geared well enough to survive it? It seems like the whole game is balanced around a stalemate setup where you either need to have super maxed out/almost perfect non-classified gear (which in itself is almost as difficult to get/RIDICULOUSLY time consuming if you optimize) OR at least one classy set to be able to do the stuff that would actually get you more Classy stuff. This means if there's no GE running to give you an alternative method of amassing Classy poo poo, you're basically at a glass ceiling and can get hosed until another GE. Am I way off base? Starting to get pretty frustrated making basically zero progress on any of my gear night after night since the GE ended.

You don’t NEED Classy gear to do most content. Remember that until the last GE there was barely any Classy sets in the game. There are lots of fun Ninja Bag builds and other 4 piece builds and since Classy gear has higher stats it’s still good to find along the way. The best way I’ve found to get a Classy set I want is to run group stuff and tell my companions what I am looking for (I wanted Reclaimer) and giving anything I find that’s not what I’m looking for away. With that quid pro quo, I managed to get my set while helping a bunch of other people get theirs.

Pretty much everything has a small chance of dropping Classy so sharing the RNG between 4 people is the beat way to go. Meanwhile, finding builds that make you happy now is best. I’ve had the most luck in the DZ clearing landmarks but also found stuff in the UG. And if the slow drip drives you crazy you can always wait for the next GE. The plan is monthly rotation of GEs that will repeat and so we’ll get our chance to grab stuff we missed every 1/3 year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Thanks, that's helpful info. The "evil version of player" design archetype is really tricky to nail. A couple more specific questions, since the Divison wiki is a joke and I can't find any other comprehensive sources:

Hunters have two other key properties:
* When they first show up, they disrupt you, preventing from using special abilities.
* The have a one hit kill melee attack.

Both of these completely change up the combat feel. Normally you are fighting: dude who runs towards you with an axe or dude who stays in cover and shoots. Now you have a period of high tension where you are missing your main powers and you could get slaughtered on the spot. So communication and positioning suddenly become intensely important and what you're trying to do is outlast your severely weakened situation. If you make it past that first part, then your abilities come back online and you can start fighting back in a serious way. So you are briefly disempowered but not permanently.

So the emotional arc is surprise->fear->revenge->triumph.

Unlike most bosses, they aren't bullet sponges, but they do have lots of healing, so if you don't stay on them and focus fire, then they can last a long time. But you have to be careful about it because one of the hunters you aren't focusing on can get in close and one hit kill you again. So situational awareness becomes important for the entire fight. They're regenerating glass canons.

In survival, Hunters are a tool for messing with the other players as well as a final boss. You can call in an extraction and then just avoid combat. Your hunter will spawn and other players trying to extract will find themselves with extra problems. Especially in PVP where they or you might want to kill the other players as well as the hunter. But eventually you'll need to face down the hunters on your own. So there is an intensification of the cooperate or kill tension that animates all the PVP in this game (aside from the arena modes).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
All Tom Clancy (indeed pretty much all Tacticool videos games) must have at least a little right wing fantasy in them because they are all about how elite milspec geared agents will save the world. Which is a very American fantasy, especially on the right. The Division turns you into Judge Dredd, where you get to dispense justice on the streets through bullets and only bullets. This is softened a little by the home base you are fighting for which consists of the remnants of NYC’s liberal paternalist government. It’s softened a little more by the revelation that a significant chunk of your elite unit went rogue and that you might go rogue too.

I didn’t find any of the enemy factions as problematic as the rest of you seem to because it struck me that all of them were being written using a tired but beloved humanizing-the-villain trope: the bad guy who has a point. So when Larae deploys the language of BLM or the BPP I think she is 1) saying stuff that is true and 2) abusing that truth to justify her horrible actions. Which is also what the Cleaners’ “you gotta do what you gotta do” set of atrocities is all about. I think both factions are meant to be sympathic to some degree. The faction I found to be the most moustache twirlingly evil was the LMB. So it was interesting here to read the interpretation of Patriotism -> Treason because I have so little sympathy for patriotism in my normal life that I entirely missed that aspect of their tragedy.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
For clan names, since there’s going to be so many goon clans, you should theme them as different lobbyists groups.

The ___ Lobby

The Gun Lobby
The Coal Lobby
The Penguin Lobby