Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

It's Christmas Eve. This time of the year I like to think back to the best Christmas mornings I had as a kid, and nearly all of them were gaming triumphs. What are some Imps' best holiday moments, either getting exactly what they wanted or playing their new games or systems while the rest of the family ate?

My all-time best was getting a launch PS2. This was the early days of Amazon and internet shopping, so everyone was using dial-up to update the EBGames and Toys R Us website. No stock. I still (sort of) believed in Santa and thought if he was real, he'd come through. But I also had doubts, and expected there to be a PSone or some substitute when I woke up Christmas morning. But there it was, with Timesplitters and SSX to play for hours. I finally had a way to play Metal Gear Solid after reading rave reviews in EGM. A few months later I found out how that miracle happened: Mom knew a guy at the local EB and pulled a favor to get him to hold one of the only 3 consoles they got for the holiday season. A family friend mentioning that is also how I found out Santa wasn't real.

Other highlights:
Gold cartridge Ocarina of Time
Game Boy Color delivered by a UPS guy on Christmas Day
Playing FFX-2 for 10 straight hours Christmas Eve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Getting a Game Boy Advance with the late-lifespan Game Boy Color game, WWF Betrayal.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Actually the best one was when, well in my family Santa always left the presents unwrapped and just sitting out in the open, so when I was little and I thought there was no way my parents could afford a N64, that morning I woke up and the attract screen of Bomberman Hero for N64 was playing on the TV.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That single Christmas kept me believing in Santa until I was nearly 13 years old.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Wormskull posted:

That single Christmas kept me believing in Santa until I was nearly 13 years old.

If that guy hadn't blurted out the truth about the PS2 I would have believed in Santa for years after.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

when I got donkey Kong country 2 and yoshis Island on the same xmas

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

those were surprise gifts after my sister and I opened all the other ones first, including a Boyz 2 men cassette

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Got a GBA SP with the first Mario & Luigi game, epic

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Actually the best one was when, well in my family Santa always left the presents unwrapped and just sitting out in the open, so when I was little and I thought there was no way my parents could afford a N64, that morning I woke up and the attract screen of Bomberman Hero for N64 was playing on the TV.

Awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My parents did something similar when I wanted a GameCube when it launched but I figured i was gonna have to wait a while. there was a copy of Luigi's Mansion and a memory card under the tree and they were like "Maybe Santa couldn't find a GameCube..." And then after all the presents were unwrapped my dad was like "What's this? Santa left something else in our room!" and brought down the glorious Cube. It was wonderful

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

My parents did something similar when I wanted a GameCube when it launched but I figured i was gonna have to wait a while. there was a copy of Luigi's Mansion and a memory card under the tree and they were like "Maybe Santa couldn't find a GameCube..." And then after all the presents were unwrapped my dad was like "What's this? Santa left something else in our room!" and brought down the glorious Cube. It was wonderful

My parents did something like this when I got an NES for Xmas when I was 5. I opened some games and they were like, “Well how are you supposed to play these with no system??” And then they brought out the big present and it was the NES set with Mario, Duck Hunt and World Class Track Meet.

The most epic gaming Xmas had to be in 1998, when I got both a PlayStation with FF7 and a Game Boy Color with Pokemon Blue. Divorced parents trying to win your love with gifts ftw

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

being a child of divorce rules

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

I think the GameCube was the only console I ever got for xmas. We lived in China and literally the only consoles you could get there were pre-modded PS2s but I was always a big Nintendo fan and my parents had someone they knew coming from the states bring over a Cube with copies of Melee and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and like a years worth of Nintendo Power magazines that had been piling up for me back home in the US. Epic Christmas

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

goferchan posted:

I think the GameCube was the only console I ever got for xmas. We lived in China and literally the only consoles you could get there were pre-modded PS2s but I was always a big Nintendo fan and my parents had someone they knew coming from the states bring over a Cube with copies of Melee and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and like a years worth of Nintendo Power magazines that had been piling up for me back home in the US. Epic Christmas

trapped in another country with only melee and sonic adventure 2 to play is a surefire way to make a true gamer psycho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

trapped in another country with only melee and sonic adventure 2 to play is a surefire way to make a true gamer psycho

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

me, a child being freed from a kidnapper's shed as in the 2015 movie Room, the first time i've seen sunlight in my life: i have all 180 emblems in sonic adventure 2: battle

Nyarlabaoth
Jul 12, 2017

The two main ones for me were getting the Game Boy Color with Pokemon Red and getting the PS1. I didn't specify any games for it so my parents just improvised. And so my idiot kid self spent the whole Christmas trying to get past the first scrab level in Oddworlds's Abe Oddysee. At some point my father got so fed up of seeing the same screen over and over every time he passed by the TV that he tried to play it and promptly fell down the very first ledge.

Another one would be getting the Vita just so I could binge through P4 Golden during the holidays.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

elf help book posted:

me, a child being freed from a kidnapper's shed as in the 2015 movie Room, the first time i've seen sunlight in my life: i have all 180 emblems in sonic adventure 2: battle

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

launch ps2 that i later learned my mom stood in line 3 hours for

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

i would sit in the gaming room and play 1v1 99 stock battles as Link VS the Dark Link CPU and make up a little narrative in my head where they talked to each other

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

i would sit in the gaming room and play 1v1 99 stock battles as Link VS the Dark Link CPU and make up a little narrative in my head where they talked to each other

Oh man lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

goferchan posted:

lmfao yessss

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My own TV for the first time + original Xbox + the first Splinter Cell for Christmas when I was like 12 or whatever is probably the reason I’m still a gamer today.

My mom was like in retail and my dad was enlisted in the Air Force so even if he pitched in some I have no idea how they afforded it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Christmas ‘98 is still one of the best moments in my life. Got a N64, Pokémon Snap, a bunch of Pokémon stuff and a puppy.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

All of the components to build a low-end gaming PC + a copy of call of duty 1 for christmas 2003

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I got an NES for Christmas when I was 4, and a PS2 when I was 12. I sunk thousands of hours into each of them.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

powerful

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rock My Socks! posted:

All of the components to build a low-end gaming PC + a copy of call of duty 1 for christmas 2003

post gifts that ionly child molesters give

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

goferchan posted:

there is an entire FAQ on gamefaqs dedicated to doing this poo poo

https://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/516492-super-smash-bros-melee/faqs/15473

Scroll down to the "Adventure Scenarios" for some strong, emotional tales

I also got a GC for christmas after having a ps2 for a while. i remember also getting like a small TV thing that attached to the console so I wouldn't be dominating the TV in the living room

I played mario sunshine for a bit on christmas day and then my aunt died

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
These are great :3: The first console I got for Christmas was the original Xbox with project gotham racing and Tony Hawks pro skater 2x. I played project gotham literally all day. It was the first and only time I had gotten a console the same year of its release

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sudden Javelin posted:

there is an entire FAQ on gamefaqs dedicated to doing this poo poo

https://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/516492-super-smash-bros-melee/faqs/15473

Scroll down to the "Adventure Scenarios" for some strong, emotional tales

omfg thank you

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

I got a SNES for christmas in 1992 that came with Street Fighter II and LTTP . Then a couple years later I got Super Metroid by itself. I mean it owned years later when I got a PSX and a PS2 but I still clearly remember how much win I felt opening those snes presents.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
picture of my Christmas the year N64 came out

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf help book posted:

it's kinder if they just shoot you in the head on the spot

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Liquid Drink posted:

picture of my Christmas the year N64 came out
Nice.

You still got that Phins jacket?

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Cobalt Viper posted: