Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Honestly the set design and makeup is pretty good and this movie only could've been made in 2000. Somehow it avoided the pitfall that cat in the hat had following it where it was too loving weird.

Apparently a lot of artists on it also worked on Apollo 13

Shame about Carrey as this was probably the turning point of the end of his career though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

LeCarre's The Grinch

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Iirc when Mrs Seuss saw it she recalled cat in the hat and hated them both so much she vowed that her late husband's legacy would never be polluted by live action work again

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
the adult who's were extremely creepy to look at, that's what did it for me the rest was great

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oddly I think this one is p well done.
The scenes with the adult whos or whatever are overdone and hamfisted. It's ok overall though, and I generally dislike christmas movies.

Well thanks for reading.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
So, if I'm right, you watched it twice?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was surprised that one of the first things the baby grinch saw when he floated down to whoville was a key party.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I actually think this is one of Carrey’s best works and I think he makes a natural grinch. His melodramatic and theatric style and facial expressions are just perfect. I watch it now that I have kids quite a bit at Christmas time and I don’t really think it’s a kids movie tho. Like most of the other actors are hammy and cheesy like a kids movie but Carrey has a kind of cerebral, surreal comedy performance.

Definitely the beginning of the end for his career tho, the rest of the cast were pretty much poo poo and brought the movie down

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

that "where are you christmas" song is loving terrible and made even worse by that annoying kid

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I hate Christmas movies and I made my kids watch jurassic park 1-3 this weekend.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

EX250 Type R posted:

I hate Christmas movies and I made my kids watch jurassic park 1-3 this weekend.

Way to make christmas all about you

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I gave them the gift of dinosaurs

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

:chloe:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

:same:

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
dis anyone make this thread yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itHJgbe9xQs

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I saw a Korean man who looked like the grinch on a subway in busan in 2008.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I saw a Korean man who looked like the grinch on a subway in busan in 2008.

cool

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i’m surprised to learn anthony hopkins narrates this.

carrey’s performance is really good but also weird as poo poo. like none of his jokes are for kids.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Iirc when Mrs Seuss saw it she recalled cat in the hat and hated them both so much she vowed that her late husband's legacy would never be polluted by live action work again

that’s loving wild. don’t blame her tho.

gleebster posted:

So, if I'm right, you watched it twice?

i’ve prob seen it dozen times minimum honestly. i don’t even know why.

Good soup! posted:

that "where are you christmas" song is loving terrible and made even worse by that annoying kid

it’s pretty bad. mercifully short though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My mother insisted on watching this tonight. I owe her a great deal, but after this I think we’re even.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the songs were good because they were short enough to not remember without trying

I liked how when the Grinch was on screen the shot Dutch angled but when they would cut to whatsername the shot would tilt back to level.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

People complained about Dutch angles in Thor but honestly they bothered me way more in the Grinch.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

surprised this didn't end up with the Grinch the kidney and the father getting blown away

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

If you like watching Jim Carey gurning and flailing his limbs you'll like the bits with Jim Carey in it. Everything else is boring filler.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I also watched it recently. The movie was better than I remember (really nice set design) but still not great and somehow lacking the emotional impact of the 30 minute animated special.

Mrs. Seuss was right, live action is not a good vehicle for Dr. Seuss's work. Horton Hears a Who was a much better adaptation.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I like how there's unmentioned and assumed pieces of poo poo laying on the floor of his cave.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

the she who who likes the grinch is a fine piece of rear end and also the best actor in the movie.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
My 2 year old boy is obsessed with this movie and I’ve watched it about every day this month. Sometimes things just get a little bit lead pipe cinch.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Conch Shell Corp posted:

the she who who likes the grinch is a fine piece of rear end and also the best actor in the movie.

Also this, I would put my tongue in her who holes.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Conch Shell Corp posted:

I’d steal her Christmas OP

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

LeCarre's The Grinch

Control is my name.
My name is Control. Jim, I'm concerned that we might have a mole, and not of the kind that resides in a hole.
One of our top men in communist hands. Alleline? Hayden? Esterhase or Bland? Or is Smiley himself in that treacherous band? To find out a marvellous mission I've planned.

Priddeaux my boy, you're the one man I trust, so to czechoslovakia travel you must.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Conch Shell Corp posted:

I remember Grinch getting his face in some cleavage for laughs. That was a thing that happened.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm waiting for the Benedict Cumberbatch Grinch in 2018

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Ted giesel was a weird bigot so who gives a poo poo what she thinks

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 26, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was surprised that one of the first things the baby grinch saw when he floated down to whoville was a key party.

Dr Seuss was heavily into the swinging lifestyle

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

jazzyhattrick posted:

Control is my name.
My name is Control. Jim, I'm concerned that we might have a mole, and not of the kind that resides in a hole.
One of our top men in communist hands. Alleline? Hayden? Esterhase or Bland? Or is Smiley himself in that treacherous band? To find out a marvellous mission I've planned.

Priddeaux my boy, you're the one man I trust, so to czechoslovakia travel you must.

I appreciated this.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Honestly the set design and makeup is pretty good and this movie only could've been made in 2000.

It always drives me nuts when it's obvious that you're staring at a sound stage in a feature theatrically released film. When you can tell it's just.. ugh.

That said that mostly seems to have died out around with the Grinch, except Justice League where every roof looked so much like a set it might as well have been made of Styrofoam.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I...really like this movie

The weirdest part was the use of their one lite-curse word, "The sun is bright, and the powder is bitchin'"

Why? There are so many better potential uses in the movie for a lite-curse and I'm mad about it.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
This movie was on tv at Christmas eve this year and my mom says "oh! I like this movie!"

About ten minutes later my mom suddenly says "no, wait. I hate this movie. It's terrible". We all agreed and ended up with It's a Wonderful Life playing in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It was, is, and always shall be, poo poo.

• Locked thread