Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

From any standpoint, Louisiana is an oddity in North America. Ranging from the culture to even the law of the land, it's a glance into a part of the nation that is just something different. Many people only experience the likes of Shreveport, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans, seeing only the veneer that the people of the state put up for outsiders. New Orleans especially is linked heavily to the vague idea of 'voodoo' and hedonism if only for Mardi Gras, and the world as a whole chuckles at the exaggerated tales and urban legends of the swamps and its inhabitants.

But there are those who have seen beyond the curtain at some point in their lives, those suspicious few who know that behind every urban legend and campfire story lies some kernel of truth. Some say that in the depths of the swamps and bayous, miles and miles from the glitz and glamor and jazz of the tourist traps lies a beating heart of black magic, a force that draws evil and villainy like honey draws flies.

And for decades, the urban legends have grown, tales of voodoo queens, haunted plantations, shapeshifters, and twisted creatures spawned by Satan himself; to those who hunt the forces of darkness, they're no mere stories meant to thrill.

Even now, in the city of Opelousas in St. Landry parish, you've heard tales of disappearances and more than one grisly decapitation. Something stirs in the swamps and the villages of Louisiana. And you have taken it upon yourself to stop it, to learn more of it, whatever it may be that drives you, come hell or high water.

----
Welcome to Hunter the Cajuning! I'm looking for five to six players to dredge through the swamps and villages of Louisiana in a bid to protect humanity from the things that go bump in the night. I'll be referencing a lot of actual Louisiana folk legends and ghost stories, as well as just throwing a few other critters from WoD after you.

I'm open to suggestions on what sort of feel you want for the game, like if you prefer something a bit more pulp-y or something more horror or investigative; I don't have a lot of experience running this system though I've played it quite a bit, so I'm definitely open to advice or suggestions!

We're going to be using the modified rules from God Machine Complex and Mortal Remains, so be sure to pick your merits accordingly! If you want to use a monstrous template (Dhampir, Ghoul, etc.) or any of the wackier supernatural merits, get with me first and let's hash it out. As much as I love the idea of a half-vampire wrestling with a rougarou I don't know that it'd really fit the theme of the game.

Considering this is going up immediately after the holidays (with New Year still on the horizon) I'm going to say recruitment will be open until 1/16/18, unless interest REALLY flags. Feel free to ask any questions or whatever here in the thread, or you can hit me up in #acolyte on Synirc.

1. What is the worst thing your character has ever done, from their own perspective?
2. What is the worst thing your character can imagine themselves doing?
3. What is the worst thing your character can imagine someone else doing?
4. What strange, inexplicable or otherwise supernatural event has your character forgotten?
5. What is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to your character?

e:
My wholly accurate summaries of the apps thus far

Daschundofdoom - Davey and Goliath vs a loving mummy
MOnion - #woke HuffPo journalist #mortallivesmatter who went to a vampire rave
McClay - Redneck rescue worker who hates magicians
LazyBlank - professor of staking vampires and gender studies, LSU
Ken - we gwon shoot de zambi in dae haid *toots on jug with XXX on it*
Tricky - rushed her pledge to Kappa Stakea Vamp
Arashido - Gordon Ramsey making frankenstein wellington
Werix - Ernest Goes to Mardi Gras starring Bruce Campbell as Ernest
Zurakara - grumpy glasses man fights demons
Churnel - holy word dump i think this guy's a cop
Zomg - CALL ME NOW FOR YA FREE STAKIN'
mistaya - laverne without shirley and alien hunting

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Certainly interested!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Jackson Waters

Living this far out in the swamps, well, its hard business. Family owned the old estate for as far back as the records can show, the drat county forced us to make sure of that, and I thought it was normal to grow up in some rotting house in the middle of the bayou. Didn't realize it was weird until I went to elementary school. "Hick", "Hillbilly", "Sister-fucker". Kids are drat cruel, but at least they're open about it. When they grow up they hide all that bullshit behind smiles and closed doors and class systems. Went to trade school like my daddy, learned up how to be an electrician and got me a job. Joined up with a union pretty drat quick, most independents get scumfucked out of their pay, and then vote the bastards who helped that happen come next election because they have an R next to their names. Not me, I know better than that poo poo. I've seen what happens to the poor and black folks's homes after a storm comes through or there are layoffs. Became a rescue worker in my part time to help those folks. Union says we all gotta band together and fight the fat cats, ain't no better way to help people than getting them out after a hurricane's passed through. I've seen some poo poo in the ruins, right after a storm's hit, poo poo that'll ice your blood. Ain't only the bosses who are sucking the working men try. Fuckers don't know that I got a drat mean right hook though. I'll show any walking corpse or loving magician what a real 'redneck' can do.

SHEET HERE

1. What is the worst thing your character has ever done, from their own perspective?
I ain't no stranger to violence, I'll tell you that. Cause I don't talk quite as good as everyone else lots of people think I'm stupid and try to gently caress with me because of it. Usually takes only a few punches to disabuse them of that notion. That ain't so bad in the long scheme of things. The thing I've did that really fucks with me is, well. A drat big storm had hit a bunch of rich folks, one of those resort areas on the Gulf coast, and me and some other volunteers headed in to help. While we were searching the ruins I saw a big steel exec, part of the company that had a scandal with a bunch of worker deaths a few months back, struggling to stay above water. I should've helped him but, the bastard had killed and exploited so goddamn many, I just pretended like I didn't see him. He did get pulled out, but he was maimed for life. I still dunno if I shoulda helped him.

Hell I don't know. Theres a lot of bad poo poo out there, and some of it don't deserve the same courtesy that we give to our fellow man. If I had to, I think I could mete out some disproportionate retribution on some skin stealing fucks. But, I don't think thats the worst poo poo. I'm just so goddamn tired of watching regular people get screwed over and then work to help those who did the screwing. At this point I'm worried that I might just let someone who don't deserve it get hurt. I'm too old for this poo poo anymore.

Now for this one I got a whole goddamn litany of responses. Murder, rape and torture are all on the loving list, no doubt about that. Par for the loving course when you're dealing with bloodsuckers of every type. The worst poo poo though, the worst poo poo is being a selfish goddamn bastard. loving over and exploiting the everyday person in exchange for your own stupid power and games. Crushing a strike so it don't effect your profit margins, ripping a soul out of somebody's body just so you can shoot lightin out your dick. I don't have to imagine that poo poo, I know its real and you can see the goddamn devastation it causes everyday.

4. What strange, inexplicable or otherwise supernatural event has your character forgotten?
On my first outing as a rescue worker, we were out at a big cargo ship that had washed up in the bayou. Something bad had happened on that ship, you could tell by the way it looked. The crew was a goner, corner said it was the wreck but I know what I saw. Wrecks don't leave animal claws and melted body parts. Some kinda chemical spill was our general consensus at the time. While I was leaving the site I saw what looked like a little girl, wandering out into the swamp. The air around her seemed to mist up and shimmer and you could see the water seethe as she walked. I blinked and she was gone, and to this day I ain't sure if I even saw her or not. But, sometimes I get nightmares about that little girl. If she existed I'm sure as hell glad I didn't take her in. No good could've come of that.

I was 15, me and my brother were exploring the black side of town. The sugar mill outside of town had just close down and most people were out of a job. The usual idiots started blaming everyone but the bosses. First it was the gays, then the (((bankers))), the government, before they finally settled on the black folk. It was night, I still remember that drunken procession riding down into the streets. They say that poo poo don't happen in America anymore, they say that we're progressed since then. Bullshit. After Katrina, after the recession, after any goddamn bad turn of events. You'll see what I saw on that night, if maybe on a smaller scale. That shits hidden just below the surface of Louisiana, like a goddamn ugly tumor. And when that loving hurricane fraternizes with the whirlwind if the supernatural, things get loving bad.

mcclay fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 11, 2018

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Hunter O'Hennessy and Maikath the Bitter, AKA Mike, Man's Best/Worst Friend

"This is demeaning, Hunter. I'm no common beast, I'm a Hellhound of the Six Hundred-Sixty-Sixth Pit of Anguish. Just because I'm oathbound to serve all the descendants of Thy Father Who Art in Hell doesn't mean I should have to lower myself to... frisbee."

"Gotta keep up appearances, Mikey boy. What kinda man doesn't play with his dog? Now fetch!"

Mike turned and chased it as ordered, grumbling infernal curses under his breath. Smiling, Hunter sat down in the grass. The smile vanished as he checked his phone. drat. 1 voice message from a +39 number. As usual, the Lucifuge had to ruin a perfectly good day with a new job, and it had to be a big one if they were calling him directly from Milan. It was about Opelousas, just as he'd feared. He'd been hearing bad things from out there, but so far nothing specific. His orders were to "Assess and act accordingly," which was their way of telling him to track down whatever was doing it, determine whether or not it opposed Lucifer, and kill it if it didn't. And since this call came from the top, that meant there was an unspoken message of "drop everything else." He'd have to check his schedule at the shop again, see when he could get over to Opelousas.

Mike came trotting back and dropped the frisbee at his feet. When he saw the phone and Hunter's expression, his eyes practically glittered and his tail began to wag even faster.

"Ah, something new to kill? Mmm, isn't it lovely, that feeling of exacting revenge on some foul beast? Doesn't it just make you want to make it suffer?"

Hunter took a deep breath and squashed down the part of him that was nodding and smiling at the hellhound's words. "We're to assess and act accordingly, so maybe we won't have to kill it. Don't get excited."

Mike snorted. "Oh, yes, as though you haven't ended those things even when they WERE the type to kill demons and oppose Lucifer. Your sad little human conscience pains you about the innocents they could kill along the away to fighting Lucifer, but you could easily ignore it. Why don't you? Because you revel in your tiny act of defiance against the people who kidnapped you and tortured you for the crime of being a superior being to the rest of the mewling human race. Hunter, you and I both know it's not just spite against monsters that drives you to kill them. It's spite against the Lucifuge. Don't try to deny it. I know spite.""

Hunter and Maikath stared into each others' eyes for a long few seconds. Hunter licked his bone-dry lips and tried to swallow the lump in his throat. Finally, he grabbed the frisbee and threw it as hard as he could. "Fetch, boy."

Mike obeyed, but this time he was laughing as he ran away.

pre:
Name: Hunter O'Hennessy
Concept: A man and his dog (from hell)
Profession: Auto Mechanic (Technician)
Conspiracy: The Lucifuge
Virtue: Generous
Vice: Spiteful

Health:		7
Willpower:	5
Defense:	5
Initiative:	5
Size:		5
Speed:		11
Integrity:	7

Attributes
Intelligence	●●
Wits		●●
Resolve		●●●

Strength	●●●
Dexterity	●●●
Stamina		●●

Presence	●●
Manipulation	●●
Composure	●●

Skills	
Crafts		●● (+● Automotive)
Occult		●● (+● Urban Legends)

Athletics	●●
Brawl		●●● (+● Dread Attack)
Drive		●
Firearms	●● (+● Rifles)
Larceny		●
Stealth		●
Survival	●

Empathy		●
Intimidation	●
Persuasion	●●
Socialize	●
Streetwise	●
Subterfuge	●

Other Traits/Merits

Def. Combat (Brawl)	●
Status (Lucifuge)	●
Unarmed Defense		●●
Castigation		●●●
-Familiar
-Family Vestment (Dread Attack)
-Sense of the Unrighteous

Weapons/Equipment

Ruger Redhawk (Heavy Revolver)

Familiar
Name: Maikath ("Mike")
Type: Embodied Familiar (Black Lab)
Virtue: Loyal
Vice: Spiteful
Anchor: Master (No Range Limit)
Ban: Cannot enter holy ground.

Intelligence	●
Wits		●●●
Resolve		●●●

Strength	●●●
Dexterity	●●●
Stamina		●●

Presence	●●●
Manipulation	●
Composure	●●

Skills	
Occult		●●●	

Athletics	●●●
Brawl		●●	
Larceny		●●	
Stealth		●●●	

Animal Ken	●●●		
Intimidation	●●●

Essence: 10/10
Corpus: 3
Willpower: 5
Defense: 3
Initiative: 5
Size: 4
Speed: 13
Integrity: N/A

Dread Powers

Fire Blast	●●●● (2 Lingering for 4 turns, Ignores Defense and Armor)

Other Traits

Innocuous: -2 Perception to notice the familiar unless it does something to draw attention.
Through the Eyes: Hunter can spend WP to see through Mike's senses.

Back in high school, a feud with a classmate escalated over the course of a month into a fistfight. The other kid lost a tooth, cracked a rib and had three broken fingers, mostly because Hunter wasn't able to restrain himself from getting in a stomp once the kid was down. He was nearly expelled for it and his family had to settle out of court with the other kid's family. Revenge is (almost literally) in Hunter's blood, but even he acknowledges that he went way too far. That kid barely deserved to get punched, let alone beaten that badly. He wasn't some murderous monster in need of killing, he was just an idiot with a big mouth.

Threatening someone innocent into silence to maintain his cover. Whether or not he would actually be able to follow through on those threats is another thing entirely.

The Lucifuge warned him during his training that demonic cults didn't shy away from elaborate and painful human sacrifice. Hunter hasn't yet encountered it yet, but the descriptions he heard in Milan were enough to cement it at the top of his "worst things people can do" list.

In 10th grade, he was riding home in the basketball team's bus late at night after an away game. Hunter was drowsing and woke up when the bus stopped at a red light. Movement on the ground outside the bus caught his attention; there was a hideously deformed man staring at him from inside a storm drain. Before he could react, the figure vanished. It didn't duck down, it disappeared so suddenly that he wasn't sure it was ever there. He couldn't even really remember what it looked like. Eventually, he passed it off as a waking dream. Of course, if he remembered it now, he'd know drat well what he saw in that city sewer.

Like so many other Children of the Seventh Generation, he came into his demonic heritage on his 23rd birthday. He'd been feeling off all day, but where it really started was at the party. There was a big crowd, and it was loud, dark, and hot. He'd had too much to drink and now he felt dazed and hollow. He just wanted to go find somewhere dark and cool and lonely to curl into a ball, but every way he turned he saw the endless mass of people here to celebrate his birth. He couldn't bear to go near them for reasons he couldn't articulate. Then, suddenly, he could smell brimstone and blood and something worse under it all. Someone stumbled up to him to drunkenly congratulate him, and he nearly screamed: her skin was writhing, her eyes were hollow. He suddenly knew that she was an unrepentant thief, that she'd shoplifted in every store she'd ever entered and stolen something from every house she'd ever spent time in. Not kleptomania, just a sickening, sociopathic sense of entitlement.

He muttered an excuse, tried to make his way to the door as his vision swam and his stomach plummeted. Now he was seeing it in everyone he passed. Tim burned down his house for the insurance money and got away with it. He stank of gasoline and greed. That guy beat his wife. That woman over there was a liar who got off on destroying other people's relationships. Those two necking in the corner have both killed lovers in the past. He could see the blood dripping from their hands. A match made in hell, he thought dizzily, trying not to break into hysterical giggles. Everyone he looked at, he saw their worst sins welling up out of them. Then he saw a mirror, and darkness overtook him. The next thing he knew he was outside with puke on his shoes, the distant music and shouting competing with the night insects. A black dog trotted up and sat down next to him; he thought somebody had brought their dog to the party until it said "Happy Birthday, Hunter."

Agents of the Lucifuge came for him a few hours later.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 17, 2018

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Interest post.

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Ey girl, you ever been with a haunted tent?
Dyne. A Hunter game taking place right where I grew up?

I'm... speechless.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Consider this an interest post, as signups will be closing about the time I'll be done with Holiday job, and I'm sure I'll have something interesting between now and then.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Gabriel Landry

Landry: Yo guys how's it goin', it's ya boy Gabriel with a personal update. Imma be outta town for a few days 'cause, uh, my Memaw passed recently. So, uh, yeah, I'm headin' to Opelousas for the funeral and I won't be puttin' anything up here for a few days at least. If you don't know, I grew up there but moved to Baton Rouge when I started college. Memaw raised me, she's the one who pushed me, told me to chase my dreams.

But I thought, while I'm up there why not check out some of the locals, see how things are goin' in other parts of the state. I think there's a lotta stories out there, just waiting to be told. Imma be puttin' together a story on my Memaw what her life was like, but I'm really interested to hear what you guys have to say as well, so leave a comment. Anyway, like I said, I won't be puttin' anything up for a while but, uh, watch this space, I guess.

That's it from me guys, take it easy and remember to stay woke. Peace.

Man, when I was a kid I done all sorts of poo poo, you know? Jackin', stompin', drugs, you name it. Pretty loving tame, looking back now. I got my Memaw to thank for gettin' me out of that poo poo, although in a way, that ended up gettin' me into even worse problems. I mean, I don't blame her or nothing, just sayin'.

Shutting my eyes. There's a lot of crazy poo poo out there, poo poo that'll kill you for reasons we don't even know, man. Sometimes it's hard to keep your head straight, you know? Like, you're hosed up on drugs, except there's no high, it's just all low.

When I was a kid, I used to be scared of monsters under the bed. Memaw told me that all I had to do was shut my eyes and they couldn't see me. They can't hurt what they can't see. Sometimes I want to do the same now. Just wanna shut my eyes, stay in bed.

I get that not everyone wants to be woke. Ignorance is easy. Just do your nine-to-five, get money, have a life. But that attitude's gonna get us all killed. How do you fight something you don't believe exists? Still, it's gonna take time to convince people. You gotta bring them around slowly, like. But when the time comes, you gotta stand up and be a man about poo poo. Some people ain't never gonna be ready, but those that are, they have a duty. They gotta stand up and fight for those that can't fight. Anyone who don't, they just as bad as what we fightin'.

Man, this is the worst thing. I know why I got woke, but I don't know how I got woke, you follow me? It's like this - I used to be a homie, runnin' the streets with my brothers. Every night we'd hit up a new club, be bumpin' with bitches, slingin' kush. One night we get an invite to some new place, never heard of it before but we told it's gonna be bangin'. Joint's in this warehouse, lit up like a Christmas tree, and it's going off.

So we having a good time, bumpin' and grindin', and just getting our jam on. Next thing I know, I'm lying on the ground, covered in blood and the five-oh is cuffing me. Later I find out the warehouse owner found me there in the morning and called the cops. Eventually they let me go, on account of there being no bodies, no evidence or nothing, just a whole lotta blood. That's when I started looking for answers. Still looking, too.

Yo, if there's something more traumatic than waking up in a pool of blood and having no idea how you got there, I haven't done it yet.

pre:
Name: Gabriel Landry
Concept: #woke BLM blogger/activist
Profession: Journalist
Compact: Network Zero
Virtue: Justice
Vice: Wrath

Defense:	2
Speed:		9
Morality:	7

Attributes
Intelligence	●●
Wits		●●●
Resolve		●●

Strength        ●●
Dexterity	●●
Stamina		●●

Presence	●●
Manipulation	●●●
Composure	●●●

Skills

Mental
Academic
Computer        ●
Crafts
Investigation   ●●●
 + Body Language
Medical
Occult          ●
Politics        ●●
Science

Physical
Athletics       ●●
Brawl           ●
Drive
Firearms
Larceny         ●
 + Lockpicking
Stealth
Survival
Weaponry

Social
Animal Ken
Empathy         ●
 + Lies
Expression      ●●●
 + Exposés
 + Film
Intimidation
Persuasion      ●●
Socialise       ●
Streetwise      ●●
Subterfuge      ●●

Merits
Compact (Network Zero) ●
Eye for the Strange    ●●
Interdisciplinary Speciality (Exposés)
Professional Training  ●
Trained Observer       ●●●

Weapons & Equipment

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 14, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm in. Will cook up another shortly!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Interested!

EDIT: Making an academic who used to teach at University of Louisiana at Lafayette but who is on sabbatical at the moment to look into some local spooky stuff.

Dr. Olivia Tynes PhD

If you can tell me how to kill the damned thing, I would expect you to know more about it!

All of this monster hunting isn't my normal cup of tea, but it isn't something I can simply ignore. I have a PhD in Anthropology with a focus locally. Only reason I moved out this way, to be honest. To Louisiana, that is. I live here because it's a short enough drive to Lafayette and it was cheaper. Fewer college students vomiting near my place. Whatever is going on is more important than most of what I was before. My post-doc can wait a little while for this all to clear up. And, if it doesn't clear up and I'm investigating monsters locally, then at least it'll be educational. More interesting than teaching some very basic things to a bunch of students who don't want to listen anyways.

There's even a relatively scholarly society of the paranormal. My research has been less than well accepted so far, as you can imagine. When we still don't have good explanations for their functionality, understanding their social structures can be difficult. Still. It's.. a backup plan.

pre:
Name: Olivia Tynes
Concept: Academic Out Of Her Depth
Profession: Professor
Compact: Null Mysteris
Virtue: Nuturing
Vice: Curious

Defense:	5
Speed:		11
Integrity:	7

Attributes
Intelligence	●●●
Wits		●●●
Resolve		●●

Strength	●●
Dexterity	●●
Stamina		●●

Presence	●●
Manipulation	●●
Composure	●●●

Skills	
*Academics      ●●● (+● Parapsychology (Free), Anthropology)
Computers   ●●
*Occult		●● (+● Local Folklore (Free))
Medicine      ●● (+● First Aid)
*Investigation        ● (+● Riddles (Free))
Science        ● 

Athletics	●●
Drive		●
Firearms	 ● (+● Pistols)

Empathy		●●
Socialize	●●
Persuasion	●
Expression	●
Subterfuge	●

Other Traits/Merits
Professional Training ●●● (Academics, Occult, Investigation)
-Contacts (Local Faculty, Local Police)
Status (Null Mysteris) ● 
Good Time Management ●
Interdisciplinary Specialty ● (Anthropology)
Investigative Aide ● (Academics)

Weapons/Equipment

Her first supernatural incident. A grad student by the name of Matthew Brock who was also living away from the university was attacked by some sort of medium-sized animal-like creature. Olivia didn't even shout for help or do anything. As soon as she saw the creature, she ran. Didn't even think of calling the police or anything until she was clearly safe inside of her own home. When she heard the next day that it was an accident without any of the gory details was the moment where she accepted that she had to do something about these things.

She's worried about getting lost in this world. The worst version of that is acting like some sort of mad scientist, trying to figure out how monsters work through highly unethical methods. Be so absorbed in the what and the who to forget the why. She's doing this to help people for now, but if she's stuck in this, will it change how she views the world? What's the point of all of this?

Monsters do a lot of terrible things. But the idea that none of it matters, that they just become a beast or a force of nature is terrible. You have no purpose but to kill or feed or whatever they do. That's the worst thing she can think of.

There were a number of mysterious disappearances on campus at Lafayette, but all the people were eventually found. She didn't realize it at the time, but she was nearly one of them. She went on a Tinder date with someone but was stood up, or so she thought. She saw the man, creature, who did it. She couldn't put two and two together at the time, and still doesn't remember much about the near-miss.

She's only been at this for a few semesters, but the most traumatic thing she's had happen is watching something.. combust, I guess.. Right in front of her. It was some sort of swamp creature, made to be some sort of warning system by a vampire.. Well, she never found out exactly, but a blood-drinking humanoid. The creature leaped at her, then immediately exploded into viscera, bone and guns and blood everyone. It was like a crime scene suddenly appeared on top of her. The sudden action and adrenaline just made everything worse, plus imagining what it used to be.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 6, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hell yea

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Are we running without compacts / conspiracies?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Are we running without compacts / conspiracies?

Nope, you're free to use them. Malicious Onion and Dachshundofdoom have a compact and conspiracy, respectively.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’m trying to decide whether I should make a pitch for my illiterate tent revivalist to be cursed or omen sensitive. One is useful but the other is just fun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

*E Rest in Power, Rev. Abner

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 8, 2018

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

"Aww, bless you no, sheriff. It's out of gator season and besides, you know I ain't got no permit! This is for...hogs. Swamp hogs. You know how big they get out in there, dontcha? We leave it...them...alone and they'll make a huge mess of everything, root up all these federally protected wetlands and everything. Brings a tear to my eye."

'Bobby' Marion is an unassuming man, good with dogs and bad with most people. His love for the bayou is well known locally. His ex-wife Emma calls him more mud than man, his friends joke that he has gator blood in his veins. He makes a living off of selling game meat, guiding hunters and researchers alike, and helping out the county with pest control of all kinds. He's also a petty criminal of the sort lionized by Southern media - a poacher, moonshiner and possessor/distributor of dubiously legal firearms. The sort of person who would unironically fly the Gadsden flag from his porch, if it hadn't been stolen by a drunk teenager. The only time anyone can remember seeing him get angry or even raise his voice was when some rear end in a top hat from out of town was whipping a dog that failed to catch a feral pig, and then he beat the man with his belt until hauled away by two burly bystanders.

Bobby is a drat good shot, with reflexes like a startled cat but enough patience to wait for a perfect moment to strike. In addition to keeping food on his table, this makes him the go-to guy for the local Union when something big and nasty is preying on local folks. He's happy to help - hunting is hunting, when you get down to it - and the contacts he makes are good for business and keeping him on the right side of a cell.

quote:

Name: Robert Lee Marion
Concept: swamp dwelling shotgun savant
Profession: Wildlife Management Contractor
Conspiracy: Union
Virtue: Fearless
Vice: Ignorant

Health: 7
Willpower: 7
Defense: 4
Initiative: 8
Size: 5
Speed:
Integrity:

Attributes
Intelligence ●
Wits ●●●
Resolve ●●●

Strength ●●
Dexterity ●●●●
Stamina ●●

Presence ●
Manipulation ●
Composure ●●●●

Skills
Academics
Computer
Crafts ●●
Investigation
Medicine ●●
Occult
Politics
Science

Athletics ●
Brawl ●
Drive ●
Firearms ●●●● (Shotguns)
Larceny ●
Stealth ●
Survival ● (Wetlands)
Weaponry ● (Spears)

Animal Ken ●●●
Empathy
Expression
Intimidation ●
Persuasion
Socialize
Streetwise ●●●
Subterfuge

Other Traits/Merits

Status (Union) ●
Professional Training ● (Hunter, Assets Firearms, Survival)
Firefight ●
Marksmanship ●
Quick Draw ●●●

Weapons/Equipment
Guns, dogs, a truck, a boat, a shack.

Bobbie used to drink when work was slow, and he was a mean drunk. He usually took it out on wildlife, but one night Emma called him out on his bullshit and he hit her. He's never forgiven himself, and his guilt was one of the main reasons they divorced. Bobbie rarely drinks now.

Getting intoxicated, losing control, and hurting people who he should be protecting. And enjoying it.

Taking advantage of someone who they should be caring for.

Got hired to guide a research team from some big university through the swamps, and lost them when he literally looked away for a second. He began a frantic search, but was suddenly overcome with weariness and blacked out. Woke up back at home, the job apparently completed and the client safe and well, but having no memory of events after leaving in the morning.

Watching his uncle's execution in the electric chair. Uncle Able was a miserable bastard who murdered his own daughter when he found her with a black boy, but the execution was botched and the witnesses got to see his eyes boil out of his head before he died.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 8, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You shouldn’t have a physical attribute category with all 1s, you have 3 dots to distribute there

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yep, it's 7/5/3 for points for stats, so you shouldn't have all 1's in any single category.

Here's some editable character sheets to maybe make things go easier for you guys; it has the list for how many points you get for your primary/secondary/tertiary stuff at the bottom of the first page on every single sheet.

https://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/htv.html

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Never played the system before, but I might get something made up after the new years holiday. I recently finished season 2 of Ash vs The Evil Dead, so I think I could get into the mindset of a poor sucker who just wants to do drugs and get laid being pulled into the world of fighting demons and poo poo.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

All I’d request is that we move to Discord for real chat cuz setting up IRC on my devices is, comparatively speaking, quite an undertaking

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah we've got a Discord set up but most of us are curmudgeonly old bastards and don't use it half as much as IRC.

https://discord.gg/6m9VzSK

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Coralee Hardy, UoL-Lafayette Sophomore

"Hey ya'll! Y'ever think that a down-home girl like me'd get tangled up in fang pullin'? Bet not! It's a long-rear end story and I'm not gonna bore ya much with the details, but it turns out that when I rushed Pi Alpha Kappa, I was really signin' on to be a vamp hunter! I ain't complainin', mind, a little applied dentistry goes a long way around these parts. Y'wouldn't believe how many bloodsuckers flock to good ol' Louisiana. Anyways, it's a drat good thing I'm such a crack shot. Never would have figured that my summer biathalon scholarship would be so handy. Comm classes are whatever, but even when I'm not picking off a fang at a hundred meters, I'm still gettin' in some target practice with the track team."

Way back in High School, Coralee and a fellow student were feuding over something dumb. Boys, probably, or maybe some imagined social slight. Nothing that she remembers now, let alone worth doing what she did. Still, Coralee organized a campaign of social shunning to the point where said student had a nervous breakdown and had to transfer to a different school district. She's not exactly proud of that in the slightest. Past that? She's lived a pretty clean life so far... for a vampire hunter.

Coralee can barely imagine it, but helping a vampire feed on an innocent. She's seen their kind at their most alluring and their most bestial. And when they feed? They're nothing but beasts. So to betray the trust of the Sisterhood, to give up someone like her to something like them... it'd take a mighty big lever. Holding her family hostage, maybe, or some sort of carrot that she can't even imagine. One thing's for sure. If she did it? She'd never forgive herself.

Murder is probably the big one. Not like killing vamps or anything, that's just pest control, but out and out human-killing-human action.

The park near where Coralee grew up was incredible. Easily the most beautiful spot for miles around, it's most notable feature was a massive hedge maze. Coralee and her friends would play there constantly as kids. Hide and seek, tag, whatever. One of her friends, Jim, kept saying that he heard someone calling him from the other side of the hedges. She didn't buy it. How could anyone have snuck over there without them seeing? The whole thing is in a clearing! Jim was adamant, though, and decided to find whoever it was and show them just how right he was. So he walked into the hedge. Minutes passed without any sign. As time stretched on, Coralee got worried. She followed him in. The twisting turns of the maze were like second-nature for the kids. They could do it blindfolded. As she cut through, she saw Jim disappear around another corner. She followed him and saw... something. Something terrible and beautiful. That something, whatever it was, took Jim.

Coralee found herself outside the hedge maze, completely having forgotten the entire thing. Jim showed back up a few days later, but he was a little... off.

It was the third hunt she went on with the Sisterhood. It was a small team, rooting out a new vamp that had set up shop near campus. Should have been routine. The girls narrowed the vamp's lair down to a condemned apartment complex and went in. Coralee was the only one that made it out. They had way underestimated the number of vamps. It wasn't just one, no, he had just been the group's scout. There were a half-dozen bloodsuckers. It was the worst infestation Lafayette had seen. She's still haunted by nightmares of what happened to her Sisters, but she did manage to torch the place on her way out. A small comfort, but a comfort nonetheless.

quote:

Name: Coralee Hardy
Profession: College Student
Compact: Maiden's Blood Sisterhood
Concept: Hard-charging, hard-partying student who hunts Vamps between writing term papers
Virtue: Hopeful
Vice: Hasty

Willpower: 6

Speed: 9
Defense: 5
Integrity: 7

Attributes:

Mental
Intelligence ●●
Wits ●●
Resolve ●●●

Physical
Strength ●●
Dexterity ●●
Stamina ●●

Social
Presence ●●●
Manipulation ●●
Composure ●●●

Skills:

Mental
Academics ● (Research)
Crafts ●
Investigation ●
Occult ●

Physical
Athletics ●●● (Track and Field)
Drive ●
Firearms ●●● (Rifles)
Larceny ●●
Stealth ●●

Social
Empathy ●● (Motives)
Expression ●●
Persuasion ●●● (Fast-Talking)

Merits: (○ are free from other merits)
Status (Maiden's Blood Sisterhood) ● [Two dots of Allies]
Professional Training (Communication Major) ●●● [Assets: Persuasion, Athletics, Firearms; +2 dots of Contacts, 9-again to Asset skills, 3rd Asset and 2 specialties]
Contacts (Greek Life, College Professors) ○○
Allies (Maiden's Blood Sisterhood) ○○
Marksmanship ●●●

Tricky fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 12, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

(For those who haven’t read Mummy, that’s a monster-eater)

I forget, do they get addicted or dependent on the feasts?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

As far as I read, you just take (possibly a lot) of breaking points for killing and eating things.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Interest post

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Chief Aldrich Oliver

Humanity is a civilised peoples. We craft great works of art. Music that brings the listener to tears. And food. Mankind's greatest creation! Food is my one true passion, my one true calling, (aside from the Faith. But that's another matter.) I travel the world looking for the rarest ingredients, the finest recipes! I have studied under master chefs of as many styles as I can get. But my dishes have one thing that many do not.

I cook with the Faith, and their taste is... godly. I have eaten gods, monsters, beasts, I have made them into all manner of dishes. Because while we consume the flesh of higher beings to ascend ourselves, I refuse to eat like a savage. Oh, but don't worry, I do cook less blessed food for... those yet to understand the allure of the god's power. I'm rarely without my knives, and even if you're not in the mood to worship the divine taste of the divine. Then I know enough restaurateurs to always be able to find somewhere with cuisine worth sampling.

After all, who can resist celebrating a successful hunt with a good meal.

quote:

Name: Aldrich Oliver
Profession: Professional Chef
Conspiracy: Faithful of Shulpae
Concept: A Fine Dining Chef, who sick of eating the bland flesh of the Gods, decided to actually prepare it into something appetising.
Virtue: Ambitious
Vice: Arrogant

Health: 8
Willpower: 5

Speed: 10
Defense: 5

Attributes:

Mental
Intelligence ●●
Wits ●●
Resolve ●●

Physical
Strength ●●●
Dexterity ●●
Stamina ●●●

Social
Presence ●●
Manipulation ●●
Composure ●●●

Skills:

Mental

Computer ●
Crafts ●● (Cooking)
Investigation ●●
Occult ●
Science ●

Physical

Athletics ●●●
Drive ●
Firearms ●
Stealth ●●
Survival ● (Foraging)
Weaponry ●●● (Knives)

Social

Intimidation ● (Stare downs, Physical threats)
Persuasion ●
Socialise ●
Subterfuge ● (Lying)

Status (Faithful of Shulpae) ● [Can purchase Anthropophagy]
Anthropophagy ●●●
Professional Training (Professional Chef) ●●● [Assets: Weaponry, Crafts, Socialise] ; +2 dots of Contacts, 9-again to Asset skills, 3rd Asset and 2 specialities]
Contacts (Chefs, Specialist Produce Suppliers) ○○

Well, someone could find issue with... consuming something human. The screaming, the begging, the threats. But It is the price of our faith. To become one with the gods, we must take of their body, and their blood. But the memory of slitting that boy's throat... it haunts me. He was no older then 17. Some kind of shape shiftier, fangs like a rattlesnake. The look in his eyes. Cold sweats, sleepless nights. It's enough to put a man off his lunch.

Eating fast food. I mean, it would be a betrayal to everything I do as a chef. (Okay, cutting a person up and then serving them is pretty horrific, but that's the price we pay for our faith.) I might have cut up a werewolf and sauteed it with a balsamic reduction to try to cover the taste of the petrol we'd soaked it in to put it down. But have you heard what they put in chicken nuggets? Disgraceful!

To willingly let themselves become a Monster. It's anithma to everything I know, we worship their divinity, but to defile that divinity by letting yourself become one. It's just an insult. How dare you shame the divine by claiming godhood.

There was a ghost in my house. It stood it over my bed at night. Getting closer and closer. The house would move, things would get thrown around, the nightmares were driving my parents to distraction. They called in a child psychologist. He ran for the hills, so then they called in priests. They were next to useless. So in their desperation, they reached out through their friends. One of who was a man of true faith. He called his brothers, and they solved the Ghost issue. They solved it good. And wiped away all the little terrors, all the nightmares. It was through them, I found my faith, and my calling. Not that I remember any of this. I didn't even remember what happened to my parents.

Before I took up my calling, I was trying hard to become a chef, I had a real talent with food. I went onto a cooking competition show. It was supposed to be Master Chef for teens. We signed the contracts, expecting to be away from our families for six months during filming. Turns out that the 'eliminated' competitors were... living in the basement. I found it accidentally, dropped an onion that fell through the stage set. Wriggled down there to get it, and found them. Glued to the wall, some kinda... something feeding on them. Keeping them alive as it prepared it's own meal. I stayed hidden there, for hours, I didn't know what to do. Eventually I managed to call our Priest. Seeking the advice of the man who'd suggested I follow my dreams of cooking. He was a father to me. The Faithful arrived. They saved me from that. I learned the horror that was out there. I've hunted ever since.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 6, 2018

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jamie Willis

You ever feel outright cursed? Like fate took a poo poo right on your life and you're stuck with that poo poo? Well that's me. Started when my parents decided to name me Jamie. Sure, it's a little more acceptable nowdays thanks to Game of Thrones, but when I was a kid, Jamie was a girl's name, and I wasn't a girl. Anyway, I've really been poo poo on thanks to the paranormal wonkiness that seems to follow me everywhere I go. Started when I was 18.

Me, my girl, my sister, my best friend and his girl went to some old cabin in upper Michigan to party it up one weekend. Only something really loving evil was in that cabin. I ain't an expert on the paranormal poo poo. All I know is whatever it was, it took them over, or possessed them, or brainwashed or maybe they were body snatchers. All I know is they tried to kill me. So I had to defend myself, using the only things in the cabin, an old hunting shotgun, and a chainsaw. It wasn't pretty.

Well when I made my way back to civilization, covered in blood and sans everyone else, well, people were curious. I told the truth, and of course no one believed me. The hosed thing is by the time the cops got to the cabin, there was no sign of my story except some broken windows and doors. no blood, no bodies, none of the shotgun shells I left sitting around, nothing. So, with no way to prove I actually killed anyone, the DA had to let me go. The official story was that some group of assailants invaded the cabin, kidnapped everyone else, and that I hid and had a mental break that caused me to concoct that story. Even spent a year in a mental hospital.

Even though I was never charged, I was guilty in the court of public opinion and all but run out of my small Michigan town. So in the nearly 20 years since, I've slowly made my way from one town to another. But here's the thing, seems no matter where I go, this paranormal poo poo follows me. Pattern has been the same, I move to a place, get maybe a couple years, max, working a poo poo job somewhere before the supernatural jumps in my lap and kills everyone close to me. Vampires in Indiana, cultists in Tennessee, civil war ghosts in South Carolina, monsters in Jacksonville. Every time I have to fight something, and then move after. Good thing I've gotten very good at fighting this poo poo.

So here I am, bumfuck Louisiana, working at a Home Depot, waiting to see if its going to be loving voodoo zombies or True Blood vampires that get me this time.

-Hacking off my girlfriend's head from her possessed body with a chainsaw. Maybe dismembering my big sister with a few shotgun blasts.

Don't get worst than the above, brother.

Becoming my friend. Because Holy poo poo, does that end bad for those around me.

I've killed so much weird poo poo in my time I can't keep track of it all. Could have sworn there were demonic lawn gnomes in Ohio I killed.

Gonna go with the dismembering my friends and family again.

pre:
Name: Jamie Willis
Concept: Cursed Man, Reluctant Hunter
Profession: Laborer
Conspiracy: The Union
Virtue: Courageous
Vice: Untrustworthy

Health:		8
Willpower:	6
Defense:	2
Speed:		10
Morality:	       7

Attributes
Intelligence	●
Wits		● ● ●
Resolve		● ● ●

Strength	        ● ● ●
Dexterity	● ●
Stamina		● ● ● 

Presence	●
Manipulation	●
Composure	● ● ●

Skills	
Crafts		● ●
Medicine	●
Occult            ●

Athletics	● ● (+ ● Sprinting)
Brawl		● ● ● (+ ● Dirty Tricks)
Firearms	● ● ● (+ ● Shotguns)
Weaponry      ● ● ● (+ ● chainsaws?)

Intimidation	● ●
Interrogation ● ●
Socialize        ●
Streetwise     ● ●

Other Traits/Merits

Status (Union)	●
Tolerance for Biology ●
Quick Draw (Shotgun) ●
Heavy Weapon Style ●●
Street fighting ●
Improvised weapons ●

Weapons/Equipment

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

"No sir. I don't like it."

quote:

Name: Valérian d'Oulx
Profession: Scientist
Conspiracy: Loyalists of Thule
Concept: rear end in a top hat Scientist studying the God-Machine
Virtue: Faith
Vice: Pride

Health:
Willpower:

Speed:
Defense:
Initiative:
Integrity:

Attributes:

Mental
Intelligence ● ● ● ● ●
Wits ● ●
Resolve ●

Physical
Strength ● ●
Dexterity ● ● ●
Stamina ●

Social
Presence ●
Manipulation ● ●
Composure ● ● ● ●

Skills:

Mental

Academics ● ● ●
Occult ● ● ●
Science ● ● ● ● ●

Physical

Athletics ●
Larceny ● ●
Stealth ●

Social

Expression ● ● ●
Subterfuge ● ● ● ●

Encyclopedic Knowledge ● ● ● ●
Mentor ○ ○
Status (Loyalists of Thule) ● ● ●

Mentor:

Arnulf

Me and Arnulf left our entire cell to die. We could have prevented their deaths, at least for a time. But Arnulf said that they had brought their fate upon themselves for breaking the primary rule of the cell: No computers. Until that point I thought the rule was just Arnulf being an old codger who hated modern technology. And he is. But there's soooo much more.

The research our diminished cell carries out is potentially crucial to mankind's well-being. I could kill an innocent man to protect it. But I'm not sure if I could kill an innocent child. I hope I could.

Have you heard of "scaphism"? A man is force-fed milk and honey until his built up excrement and vomit causes him to be eaten alive by maggots. Ancient armies used to ritually sexually violate their slain enemies. The people who did these things were not insane or sociopathic. They were normal people. A cursory study of history dispels all doubts about the potential depravity lurking at the heart of man.

As a young boy Valerian's uncle passed on. When he was helping clear out the basement with his parents he found a large assemblage of gears jutting from the floor. Staring through the gaps in the mechanism, it became a apparent that it extended a considerable distance down. He covered his find with a cardboard box to hide it from his parents, but it was gone the next day.

Outside of his cell being wiped out, Valerians career has mostly involved lab-work and studying. There has only been the mounting apprehension and paranoia (intentionally fueled by Arnolf) that whatever got to his team might redirect its gaze back to those it missed the first time.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 9, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

William Emory Rowe

Rowe? Bill Rowe? Did I know Bill Rowe? God, I hope so. We were partners for a good 8 years. Good cop, good man to watch your back, which is all you can ask for in Memphis Vice. Not much for small talk but still waters and all that, you know.

Why do you ask, what... Oh, sure, okay. Yeah, Rowe and me did the sting on Mud Island back in ‘11. A little late to do a full profile, ain’t it? Oh, just Bill? No, sister, I ain’t got no pride, I’ll talk Bill Rowe as long as you feel like covering the tab. But just so we’re clear - I haven’t seen him in a solid two years, I don’t know where he is or how to get in touch with him. Yeah? well even if he was the guy who fed you the scoop on Mud Island, that don’t change the fact... okay lady, I get it. Keep the tab open and I’ll say what I can say.

So yeah, Bill Rowe. Not your typical vice cop by look or personality, but that actually helped. If God had given Bill’s gift for running CIs to some dick swinger, he’d have squandered it. Always composed, but not stoic, that’s Bill. He just had that air that helped the narcs along to thinking that they were being looked after, even when they were on the verge of blowing it. And truth be told that’s all it took to make Mud Island a clean bust. Got commendations from the state and the DEA and the DOJ, pretty as you like...

Yeah, we were partners up til the end. Why ask? It was all in the papers, your paper eve- Okay, I hear you. I’ll tell you, but the story never changes. Bill had a wife, name of Lila, and a daughter, name of Sara. Lil got run down by a drunk on her bike when Sara was 3, so that would’ve been... 2003? And from then on Bill raised the girl solo with the insurance money. But the Rowes have a bad history, genetically I mean, lots of chemical dependency, schizophrenia, extreme trauma response, that sort of thing. Bill dealt with a lot growing up, you could tell. And poor Sara, she hit some sort of lovely jackpot - Bill did his best, me and my missus helped out as best we could, but Sara was a wild child.

I guess we didn’t expect things to happen so quickly. Bill told me that Sara had started to hear voices and that he’d been looking into... well, inpatient treatment, at least for awhile, help the girl acclimate. But she took to heroin in no time flat.

At the time, this was... 2015? Bill and I were right on the cusp of nailing a cartel middleman shipping tar up to the Twin Cities and Chicago. Bill’s guy gets us the address of the warehouse, the time of the spotter guard change, and we go in to make the bust on a June night, loving sweltering, we’re marinating inside our Kevlar. We go in, butter smooth - no gunplay, no resistance, the Miami guys knew to give up and take the rap. But then this one kid bolts, and Bill goes after him.

After that it’s just Bill’s story, so I’ll tell it to you like he told me: He tails the kid into a garage complex across the way, follows him into the basement, and there’s a... I guess a crack den? Strung out kids everywhere. Lights are low, he turns on his flashlight to find the runner. And who does the fuckin devil present us with? Sara Rowe, chained to the floor, high as mount fuckin Everest.

Obviously Bill is shook to the core - he looks at his daughter, and she looks up and realizes he’s there, and that’s the end of Bill’s side on account of his getting cold cocked and laid out for the rest of it.

A minute or two later when we’ve secured the warehouse, we try to get Bill on the radio and he don’t respond. So I take the SWAT guys and we sweep the block. My luck I guess that I didn’t find him - a rookie SWAT guy finds the drug den, and it’s like a fuckin... like a bomb went off. Gore everywhere. Limbs, clothes. Rookie hurls in his fuckin helmet and calls it in. Then he sees a door braced shut by a (blood-splattered) 02 tank, moves the tank, opens the door, shines a light, there’s Bill out cold. Had some blood on him but not nearly enough to suggest he did the massacre.

Anyway, the official story is that the cartel was testing some sort of designer super-PCP and Bill’s arrival made someone go cyborg apeshit. Even with the government’s best forensics, we couldn’t identify the bodies - too much cross-contamination of everything. Pretty extraordinary.

That SWAT rookie quit the force, by the way. Took up with some PMC for section 8 cases, last I heard.

Anyway, Sara’s blood was among the samples found - there were about two dozen in the slurry. But it was enough to have her declared dead. Bill took hit hard - I mean poo poo, how can you not? And he just couldn’t be a cop anymore. They tried to get him a desk job but he weren’t taking it. He was out. So in light of circumstances and the good he’d done the PD in the past, they gave him a promotion to a middle management position, used some loopholes to get his 17 years of service to 20, and let him go, full pension. Then he went traveling. I tried to be there for him, but... he was a quiet guy in the best of times. I wish him the best.

So there’s your story. Bill Rowe, the best man with the shittiest luck I’ve ever known.

Actually now that we’re talking about it, there is one thing I just realized... Bill told me once that Sara was born the day he got his acceptance letter from MPD. Man’s career is born with his daughter, and dies with her too. That is some poo poo. You can print that. Now, about that tab.

pre:
Name: William Emory "Bill" Rowe,
Concept: Ex-Cop Deprogrammer
Profession: Private Investigator
Compact: The Talbot Group
Virtue: Loyal
Vice: Arrogant

Willpower: 4
Defense: 3
Initiative: 4

Attributes
Intelligence	2
Wits		3
Resolve        2

Strength  	2
Dexterity  	2
Stamina  	2

Presence 	2
Manipulation 	4
Composure 	2

Skills
Computer	●
Crafts	●
*Investigation   ●●
     +Crime Scenes

Athletics ●
Brawl ●
Firearms ●●
     + Automatic Pistols
Larceny ●
Stealth ●●

*Empathy ●●●●
     + Detecting Lies
     + Instilling Trust
Persuasion ●●●
*Streetwise ●●
     + Finding Who Will Talk 
Subterfuge ●●

Other Traits/Merits
Status (The Talbot Group) ●
Professional Training ●●● (Police Detective [skills]: Investigation, Empathy, Streetwise)
Peacemaker     ●●●
(PT Benefit) Contacts ●● (Law Enforcement, Drug Trade)
(Status Benefit) Allies ● (Talbot Group Researchers)
(Status Benefit) Contacts ● (Talbot Group Researchers)
:getin:Here's a short summation of Bill's time from the loss of his job to his arrival in LA :getin:

Back in Memphis, Bill had part in busting a prostitution ring that had originated in Memphis’ small Haitian community and had trafficked teen girls from the island to work on the streets. The man identified as a ringleader, a local pawnshop owner, had been caught red-handed but had claimed that the real mastermind was a Debbie Augustin-Michel, a well-respected Memphis defense attorney and pillar of the Haitian community. There was no paper trail to even suggest any connection with Augustin-Michel of any kind, but the pimp claimed that she had instead directed the prostitution ring in dreams, visiting the key players in their sleep and issuing directives that they were somehow powerless but to carry out while awake. He claimed that while the defendants kept the material proceeds, the real purpose of the scheme was the cultivation of “para-geotic energy” that Augustin-Michel somehow collected from the crimes.

Naturally, Bill was unmoved by this nonsense, nor was the district attorney or the jury that convicted the man on 18 felony counts. But the man had maintained his story consistently throughout his interrogation, trial, conviction, and imprisonment, until he was fatally stabbed in the prison yard some weeks after being put away. Bill thinks about him a lot, lately. He wonders if his easy skepticism had led to the death of an innocent man, and whether the true predator still walks. Bill sometimes considers going back to Memphis to put things right. In permanent fashion.

Bill cannot imagine himself accepting what happened to his daughter as inevitable or final. The possibility that the change she experienced is part and parcel of who she is is unacceptable. To preserve the idea of her distinction from the change, to save her from her “passenger”, he would kill her first, though he has not had this realization, at least not yet.

Psychic domination, or at least the wresting of a person’s body from their conscious control, is verboten to Bill, as he sees what happened to his daughter as spirit possession.

In his first years in Vice, Bill went undercover in the Mississippi River meth trade as a middle man. Once, he was given a guided tour of a meth lab on the outskirts of Tupelo, an old school bus with the seats torn out and staffed by various teenagers and senior citizens wearing flu masks against the fumes. One of them, an old and gaunt man with no hair (no eyebrows, even), seemed to recognize Bill, though Bill had never seen the man before. The old man stopped what he was doing and stared at Bill, and when it was noticed by his guards, even their threats couldn’t get him to stop and resume his task. He just stared, unblinking, as Bill walked through the lab.

When threats didn’t work, the guards (likely hopped up on the product themselves) struck the man with the butts of their rifles, and when even that elicited no response, they continued their assault until he was unrecognizable, a bloody mess. The chemist, Bill’s contact, didn’t seem to notice, nor did any of the other workers, and once their rage was sated the guards went back to their posts calmly, as if nothing had happened. Bill stared at the man, unable to do anything for him, and the man seemed to stare back, even though his eyes and most of his teeth were gone. The man stood up on creaky legs, then deliberately lay himself prone, face down, with his right arm outstretched toward Bill, and then he died. The guards hauled the body off soon thereafter.

Bill remembers this. What he doesn’t remember is every time he’s been faced with violent death since, on the job or off, and finds a body in that same position - face down, body straight, right arm outstretched. He sees it, but as soon as his mind begins to make the connection between the body and the memory of the old man, the thought dissipates. The memory of the old man’s body, the strange configuration of it, sticks with him in a weird way, seeing another body arranged so strikes him as strange, but the realization that there is any connection between the two like things is slippery, and couldn’t gain traction in his mind even if someone were to directly point out the similarities or how it reoccurs.

Seeing his daughter turn into a werewolf is #1 on the list.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 11, 2018

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Ey girl, you ever been with a haunted tent?

Sophia Allman

Opelousas. Wow. Never thought I'd be back here. Funny how life likes to jerk you around, huh? Honestly, I'm laughing on the inside. Believe me.

I guess starting from the beginning would be good, right? Right. I grew up here in Opelousas, right smack dab in the middle of a place called The Hill. It's a place most white people avoid... and it's been home to it's fair share of criminal activity. But whatever, I'm not ashamed of where I come from, got it? Just... a girl has to spread her wings alright? I couldn't just hang around there all my life. So as soon as I graduated high school I got out. Went to New Orleans, to be exact. Got into Xavier University with every intention to do well for myself.

Hah. As if I would be so lucky. Things went sideways in the middle of my sophomore year. It was all because of my roommate and that stupid party she dragged me to. I could've tried harder to get out of it... and in hindsight I probably should've. But I didn't. And long story short we ended up taking some stupid drug that was supposed to "totally open our minds" or something. The guy who gave it to us was a white guy with dreads. NEVER trust a white guy with dreads. What happened next was... messy. One moment I'm waiting for the stuff to kick in... the next I'm in some back alley, crouched down behind a dumpster shivering with a shower curtain covering me. Somehow I managed to stumble back to my dorm room and passed out on my bed. I woke up later to loud pounding on my door which turned out to be the police. They'd found my roommate -- dead of an apparent drug overdose in a gully. I told them about the party and the dreads guy... but held back the part about me having taken the drug too. I'm sure they suspected me anyway, though.

I just wanted to get myself back on track after that. But that's hard to do when suddenly you find yourself able to see and talk to actual loving spirits. Oh, I didn't know what the hell was going on at first. I thought I was going crazy, really. Like some kind of residual side effect of whatever I had taken. Luckily one of the spirits was kind enough to point me in the direction of the French Quarter where I found this fortune teller named Zelda (yes, really, that was her name). She waxed on about knowing I would show up and stuff, and how she was part of a group of people who dealt with spiritual matters. I could've turned around and walked outta there but the look she gave me was so... sincere. So I stayed.

My school life started to wither and die pretty soon after that. I dropped out to devote myself fully to Les Mystères. Any contact with my family became increasingly sporadic, and the next few years of my life flew by in the blink of an eye. It wasn't until I got a call that my dad had died that I realized how far gone I was from everything I used to be. I had to go home. Thankfully the people in my cell understood, but warned me that Opelousas had become a hotbed of shady supernatural activity. I think they were scared I would take one foot into the city limits and get one-shotted by some demon or something. Hell I was half-expecting it when I did arrive. But nothing like that happened. I went home, talked things over with the family, went to dad's wake and funeral, and just... settled in. Found a place to live, a job at a coffee shop across from the courthouse, and decided to start poking around at the spiritual side of the city.

I'm probably WAY in over my head... but at least I'm doing something.

pre:
Name: Sophia Allman
Concept: Spiritual Consultant (AKA a fancy name for "Spirit Cop")
Profession: Barista
Conspiracy: Les Mystères
Virtue: Tenacious
Vice: Sardonic

Willpower: 6
Defense: 4

Attributes
Intelligence	●●
Wits		●●●
Resolve 	●●●

Strength  	●●
Dexterity  	●●
Stamina  	●●

Presence 	●●
Manipulation 	●●
Composure 	●●●

Skills
Academics	●
*Investigation   ●●●
	+Enigmas
Occult		●●●
	+Spirits

Athletics ●●
Firearms ●
Larceny ●

*Empathy ●●●
Persuasion ●●
Streetwise ●●●●
	+Rumors
Subterfuge ●●

Other Traits/Merits
Automatic Writing ●●
Professional Training ● (Spiritual Consultant: Empathy, Investigation)
Contacts ○○ (Mediums, Paranormal Investigators)
Status (Les Mystères) ●
Striking Looks ●
Cursing my dad out like a complete dog. He'd called me all upset that I hadn't come home for my mom's birthday. I had a lot going on with the cell and I didn't want to give up any time to focus on non cell-related things. Something inside me snapped. I went on this crazy rear end tirade against him. I don't even remember everything that came out of my mouth to this day. After I finished he just remained silent for a few moments before hanging up. That was the last time I talked with him before he died. I'm a great loving daughter, ain't I?

Probably turning my back on my family again. I came back to Opelousas to make amends with them, and I've started to make some headway there. Small headway, but headway nonetheless. I keep thinking I'm gonna gently caress it all up again and run away with my tail tucked between my legs. I'm gonna try my hardest not to have that happen... but fate is a fickle bitch. I can only hope wherever the chips end up landing... they're in my favor.

Knowingly leading someone into shady situations. I think that's pretty lovely thing to do if you ask me. I was part of an operation with my cell back in New Orleans where we nearly got sliced and diced by some bad spirits. The person who we thought we were helping had been coerced by said spirits into offering us up as bait. We managed to get out of there alive. The rear end in a top hat who tried to sell us out didn't, though. Can't say I was too broken up about it, despite how the others tried their best to paint it as the rear end in a top hat having no choice in the matter. Yeah right. There's always a choice. Some people just suck at making the right one.

The missing hours of my life after I took that drat pill at that drat party. Sometimes in my sleep I'll get vague flashes of what feels like major events from that night. Wandering hand-in-hand with my roommate Ashley down some dark street with wispy poo poo floating around us. These guys who look human one moment... and not so human the next. Fur. Teeth. Howling. Running. Lots of running. I lose track of Ashley somehow, though I can hear her screaming my name over and over. But I keep running as the world spins dizzily around me...

...I don't like to talk about it. Wish the drat dreams would go away. Someone suggested I try to figure them out... but I'm good. Honest. Helps that it all fades away after... Wait, what was I talking about?

Umm, hello? The whole drug trip that opened my inner eye thing? Yeah, that definitely trumps everything else. No argument.

Zomg fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 11, 2018

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

SHEET HERE
----------------------

Beatrice Patterson (Pictured with her uncle's Mustang)

They say growing up without a father isn't easy. Bea doesn't know what they mean. She had a father. Everyone says he left years ago but that ain't true. He didn't leave at all.

An alien took him.

She remembers because she went out to the garage that night, to see if he'd finished the paint job on the '68 Dodge. The door was shut, like usual when he was working, so she peeked in the grimy window just to check. He was there alright, mask on, his paint gun in one hand. There was something in there with him though. Something with too many arms, too many heads. She ducked down before it saw her, and heard the big door on the other side of the garage open. There was a sound, something she didn't recognize, something completely and utterly not of this world. Terrified, she flung the door open, but the garage was empty except for the freshly painted car.

His paint gun was still sitting there. The mask was on the floor next to it. She passed out.

When she came to, everything was wrong. They said her daddy left years ago, even though it didn't make any sense. People who knew him, people she trusted, they thought she was crazy. They said the paint fumes must have damaged her brain. They wanted to put her away someplace where she could "get better".

So she got in the car and left.

No one ever reported it stolen. She supposed they might have forgotten about her too, because it's been a few years since then. A few years and few thousand miles. She's been looking into aliens, making a lovely living running skip traces from the road. She prefers to look for people who didn't go missing on purpose, even if they aren't usually worth any money. Those are the ones that might be alien-related.

And she's gonna find her daddy, one of these days. She knows it. Because while she was looking into missing people, someone else was looking into her. Well, something else, and it says it wants to help...

---

Once she was working a case where a woman's husband had gone missing. She thought it might be one of those cases where the aliens were involved and she intended to use the woman as bait, bringing her along with on a side trip to an old boathouse that the husband bought on the sly. Turns out it was a totally normal case and they found the husband hanging from one of the rafters. Suicide, and no monsters involved, but his wife didn't deserve to see him that way after he'd gone to all that trouble to hide it. The miserable scream she gave when she saw the body still gives Bea nightmares.

Sacrificing someone else's life for her own goals. She knows she's capable of doing it, because she's come close a few times. One of these days it's going to happen, either by accident... or by design.

Bad people will always do bad things, like killing and torture and whatever else. But most people don't do those things, so Bea doesn't worry too much about them.The worst thing she can imagine another person doing is dying for no good reason. Cancer, or a freak plane crash, or starving because you ran out of money and can't buy food... it's all so drat pointless. She can handle the supernatural things, it's the mundane things that are the worst.

Joke answer: Eating monsters, that's gross!

When Bea was just a little girl she got very sick, and almost died. She remembers a stranger, a doctor, that came to the house and shone a light in her eyes. She remembers that her daddy had a long talk with him in the kitchen, but not what it was about. The doctor came back and he put a hand on her forehead and she saw... something. All she knows is that she got better and she never saw him again, and daddy would get a strange look in his eyes if she brought it up.

Her one "kill" so far, when she was abducted by an alien (god machine Demon.) Details to come.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 16, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
It was an incredibly tough decision with so many good apps, but I went and picked what I felt was a balanced party that either synergized well or would have believable and enjoyable conflict due to their differences.

Jackson Waters - Redneck rescue worker who hates magicians
Hunter O'Hennesy and 'Mikey' - Davey and Goliath vs The Wolfman
Dr. Olivia Tynes PhD - professor of deconstruction the ancient curse of the mummy and gender studies, LSU
Coralee Hardy - rushed her pledge to Kappa Stakea Vamp
Beatrice Patterson - it's not the car from Supernatural, DAD.
Gabriel Landry - #woke HuffPo journalist #mortallivesmatter who went to a changeling rave

Due to the lethality of this game I wholly expect to need replacements after someone (Jackson) gets punched in the dick by a werewolf, so watch this space for deaths!

Go ahead and give me impressions of your fellow cell-members; I'm going to assume you had contacts who put you in contact with other contacts that got you together with the other five hunters in Opelousas.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Beatrice's Impressions

Ahem...
One: Call me Bea.
Two: I've only been in Opa... Oprah... *Checks her phone... Opelousas? Whatever. For a week or so. Be nice.
Three: If you need someone found, I can find 'em. That's my job.
Four: If you need some THING found, I can find 'em. That's my mission.
Five: Yeah that's my car. Wanna go for a spin? *smiles

---

Jackson Waters- Jackson is simple, but he ain't stupid, and I like that about him. People like him are a double edged sword to people like me though. On one hand, he'll do what he says he's going to. He ain't a liar. So that makes him easy. On the other hand, he ain't got no time for liars like me, and he'll see through it if I try to push him where he don't want to go. So that makes him hard. Really, it just depends if we're on the same side. As long as we are, we can make a powerful team. It's nice to know one person you can really trust wherever you're at, and I think that's Jackson. Too bad he wouldn't say the same about me.

Hunter and Mike- Where I come from you name your kid Mike and your dog Hunter so that was worth a good laugh. The dog is a dog, of course, so you know, slobbery, and fuzzy, and boring. Way too smart for a Labrador, must have some border collie crossed into it somewhere. Hunter is... Okay, straight up? Hunter makes my skin crawl. He's no alien, but I just get this feeling around him that says be careful and it goes against every bit of common sense. I'm keeping an eye on him. He's working for one of the bigger groups, I think, so him being here probably means something big is going down. Other than the constant neck prickle? I think he's kinda cute. Still, keeping an eye on him.
Note: Bea has merits that would definitely pick up something not-so-normal about Hunter, but she hasn't turned them on him directly yet.

Dr. Olivia Tynes- This is the lady you bring in after everyone's dead who's gonna be dead so she can poke it and measure it and tell you all about it. Knowing more about what I'm looking for makes finding it easier so her type is a huge asset to me. Personally, I'm not sure yet. I'll have to spend some time with her, maybe take her out for a drink and see if she winds down. Scholar types tend to do better after you've relaxed the stick in their rear end. But even if I don't like her, she'll like me, I'll make drat sure of it.

Coralee Hardy- Oh Coralee is FUN. Not that I'm usually friends with the sorority crowd, I went to community college and didn't get to do any fancy pledges or have any date rape parties, and I've never really seen the point but... Okay so I'm just a little older than her and she's out there killing vampires and that's... I have to admit... cool. Also she's kind of been through a lot of poo poo and I haven't had anyone near my age to talk to since Daddy went missing. Not that I've said anything YET, mind you. Just... maybe I could, if she's nice to me. Her people really need better information before they go kicking doors down, stakes in hand, and I can definitely help with that.

Gabriel Landry- I agree with Gabriel on a lot of poo poo. And I mean a LOT of poo poo. But at the same time I don't see any point in trying to convince the rest of creation that aliens and vampires and werewolves are real. They don't wanna see it so they don't, and it's probably better off they don't because most of the "normal" people I used to know would be horrible at living in a world where this stuff was common knowledge. I think he gets that sorta, but he wants to try anyways, and drat me if I don't sit there and help him. I don't mind being his 'anonymous source' when I go hacking or find a skip-that-ain't. Ain't human, I mean.

---

*Bea stretches out on the front seat of her car. You know, we might just be able to get some poo poo done here. A lot more than I could do on my own anyways. It feels weird being part of a team, or a crew, or whatever we are. Maybe we're not really much of anything except people trying to scare out the monsters. Nothin' wrong with that either though.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hunter (and Mike)'s Impressions

Jackson Waters is a good guy. Reminds me of my dad, actually. He knows what's right and he'll fight to protect it. Of course, most of the people in the Lucifuge would disapprove of a guy like him. They're relativists, the kind who'll let a vampire go around preying on people as long as the vamp pinky-swears they really do feel bad about it and says they'll fight any demons that show up in their neighborhood. Jackson sees things in a more black-and-white way, and frankly, I kinda like it. Don't know how he'll take it if he ever realizes just what being part of the Lucifuge means about me and Mike, though. If he sees me whip out the claws or Mike has to torch something, well... I'm not sure he'll believe I can rise above the corruption in my blood, especially with a demon at my side.

He's dangerous, Hunter, a ticking time bomb. Pray his recklessness only claims his life and not ours as well.

Dr. Tynes is the professor type alright, knows a whole lot about monsters and weirdness. Me, I never had the patience for school. I got a high school degree and that's all I wanted. I'd rather spend my time under cars than with my nose in a book. Doesn't mean book learnin's a bad thing, though. Somebody's gotta figure this stuff out. And on the bright side, she's a nice enough lady that I don't think she'll try to dissect me when my secret's finally out.

When all you have is logic, every problem seems like it has an answer. I have seen academics and learners beat themselves to death against the unknowable before, like crane flies against glass, and I expect I will see it again.

Coralee Hardy, now there's somebody you don't expect to be a hunter. Sorority sister by day, vampire killer by night. But from what she's said, I gotta wonder if she's good or just lucky. Probably both. Still, she's a lot of fun to be around, and I feel better knowing she'll have my back if any bloodsuckers show up.

Ah, a young vampire hunter. That's the only kind, of course, because your average vampire hunter is dead. Ideally, you hunters would stick to dallying with harmless specters and mindless monsters, instead of hunting things just as clever as you and five times as powerful.

Gabriel Landry's a cool dude, but that Network Zero thing is doomed to failure. People don't see this stuff because they don't want to see it. Hell, if it was an option, I'd bury my head in the sand too. Can't really do that when evil runs in your blood. Now I have to hunt monsters so the ancient conspiracy of regretful demonspawn don't cut my head off and bury it at a crossroads. God, if he finds out what I am, I don't know if he'll want to interview me or shoot me. Probably both.

The nail that stands out gets hammered down. Attempting to actively reveal the existence of the paranormal is generally a brief career with an unpleasant termination at the end. And my Infernal Master will likely be displeased if my true nature is revealed in any of his videos. Ugh. Ten thousand curses upon this digital age.

And last but not least, we got Beatrice Patterson, our wheelgirl. I want to like her, but she makes me a little nervous. I dunno, she's just always on edge around me. Make me wonder if she's not somehow onto me. Still, though, that's a hell of a car. Wonder if she'd ever let me work on it...

Ahahaha, aliens! Oh, what a delight you mortals can be. As if there isn't enough to worry about on the ground, you cower from the stars themselves. Hunter, I don't know where you found these people, but they're going to get us killed. I am oath-bound to follow you unto the end, but when we're both bleeding out in a ditch my last words are going to be "told you so, rear end in a top hat."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Coralee's Impressions

Jackson Waters

Aw, lesse here. Y'think he's ever really punched a monster? Seems like a bad idea, I mean, 'swhy I have a gun. That and my scholarship, I guess! Vamps are already quick 'n nasty in a fight, but more power to 'im if he wants to become the Spooky poo poo Heavyweight Champion of the bayou! He's got heart and that counts for a lot in this business. Plus he's all about that local scene, can't help but root for that! Still, though, dude's gotta take the edge off! Work hard, play harder!

Hunter O'Hennesy and 'Mikey'

Now that's what I'm talking about! Hunt's got it all goin' on. Y'gotta wonder if he's noticed the way Bea's shootin' him the eyes? She's got some good taste. Anyways, word is that he's running with one of the big boy groups. Wonder what they want down south? It sure as hell ain't hunting vamps, cause the Sisters woulda picked up on that by now. Oh! Speaking of, I'll have to take him to our next big party. I bet he's a lot of fun when the music starts and the drinks start flowing!

Dr. Olivia Tynes PhD

Y'know what's even more awkward than explaining why, exactly you didn't turn in a big paper to your prof? Havin' to go through the big list of excuses then finding out she's all in the know! That sucked. Anyways, I dunno about all this studying stuff she's always up to, but I can't think of anyone who knows more about spooky bullshit than she does! Gotta see if I can swing some extra credit by feeding her what I've got on the fangs...

Beatrice Patterson

Aw, Bea's a sweetie. I mean, yeah, maybe she should be a little more focused on the real problems — like vamps — then her spooky x-files aliens, but she's got a nose for all this poo poo. Still... I think the real problem is who she got to put those tats on! I've seen my fair share of ink at UoL, but man. I hope she got them on the cheap, at least! I'll have to poke around and see if I can't find someone to fix those up for her.

Gabriel Landry

Y'know, I'm not sure about him! I mean, yeah, I respect that he's all about telling people what's up — God knows that there's some basic-rear end stuff you can do to keep your vamp risk way down — but I don't think that people really want to hear about that poo poo. They want to hear about football, bitch about politics, and drink lovely beer. Still... I mean, whatever makes you happy, right? I just hope he learns to shoot a gun. A camera ain't gonna stop a bloodsucker from suckin' ya dry.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Dr. Tynes' Observations:

Jackson Waters

Saying Jackson has a chip on his shoulders is like saying Atlas had a little rock on his back. The longer I've been in the area, the more I understand, but he still tries to carry a lot. His disappointment in his community weighs on him all the time, whether making him angry or giving him a reason to keep fighting. If he could focus that weight into a more cohesive plan, he could be a real asset to the city long-term. Still, given how many parapsychological events occur per capita in this area, having someone willing to fight with everything they have against the darkness is inspiring.

Hunter O'Hennesy and 'Mike'

Hunter seems like a simple enough man, and if it wasn't for the recommendation of others, I'd probably only see him if my oil ran low. He's more capable than he looks or he acts. The fact that he brings his pet with him everywhere he goes would seem more normal if it wasn't on the trail of monsters. Mike is very helpful as well, but it would seem cruel to bring a domesticated animal of any sort after what we face. Then again, Mike seems smarter and better acclimated towards this than I'd imagine all but the most well-trained animal would be.

Gabriel Landry

Gabriel is an inspiring young man, even if he's also a tad aggressive with his rhetoric. Much like Jackson, he has a lot on his shoulders. He could have left it all, stayed in school full-time, or even just focus on the current political picture. Instead, he's out here trying to fight against forces that we don't fully understand, not just in the physical and the now, but spreading the news of what we're doing to others like him. I've even used some of the recordings and notes to re-create some events and prepare for a presentation for my colleagues. Hopefully, he finds some sort of peace with his current situation.

Coralee Hardy

When I was only Coralee's teacher, I thought she was a B-student who was coasting by on the fact that it was an introductory course and that she was pledging to some sorority. If I would have known then what I know now, I'd have probably given her much less trouble on getting extensions for the few papers we had. She's a remarkable shot, and knows enough on how to deal with certain types of problem monsters. I didn't know that they'd have underground secret societies of women dedicated quite like this. I'd say her drinking might be a problem, but then again, my undergraduate years weren't quite as bookish as things are now.

Beatrice Patterson

Bea's very good at what she does, extremely competent and... Please don't tell her this, but every time she says aliens, I have to put effort not to laugh. I know that traumatic events can cause memory loss or creation of fake memories, but that doesn't make her aliens theories any more plausible. I've seen what some monsters can do, and if we bring down a verifiable alien, I may be able to take it more seriously. But there's been no events that can't be explained by more rational, terrestrial means.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Jackson Waters
Here's a guy who's doing something and getting poo poo done. Saving lives and killing bloodsuckers? drat, he's fuckin' Superman or something. He might be a little rough around the edges but people eat that poo poo up. He'd be a great role model, inspire people, get 'em fightin' for humanity.

Hunter O'Hennessy
Yo I get this guy's on our side but... I just don't feel right about him, you know? Like, I don't trust him and I can't figure why. He seems nice enough, even got himself a dog, but.. I don't know, man. Just the way he looks at you sometimes. His dog's got somethin' goin' on, too. I'm gettin' crazy bad vibes from that pooch.

Dr Olivia Tynes PhD
Yeah, now this is what we need. You hang around the people I hang with in Louisiana long enough, Dr Tynes' name gonna come up sooner or later. They say knowledge is power, well this girl's got the knowledge. I mean, I don't know how well she's gonna be able to handle herself on the streets but, hey, if she can help us do our jobs, that's all right with me.

Coralee Hardy
This girl's reputation precedes her. Even though I went to LSU, we'd heard about Pi Alpha Kappa. Those girls do not gently caress around, they know how to party. Some of the poo poo they got up to, man, let's just say I was not at all surprised to hear she was now a Hunter. Go Tigers.

Beatrice Patterson
Yo, I might know how to make a story, but this girl know how to find the story. Word is she like, all Sherlock up in this poo poo. Me and her could do great work, you know? She got a dope ride, too, and I don't think she'll need to much convincin' to show what it got.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Hunter O'Hennesy and 'Mike'
Hunt ain't a bad kid, reminds me of myself when I was his age. Good to see him doing a job that uses his hands down here in the bayou. Far too many bright kids either look at this place and laugh, or are born here and leave the minute they can. Its good to see a young fella with smarts and know how actually stick around to help the poor folks out. Still though, something ain't quite right with that boy. I know hes elbow deep in grease and fuel all the time, but he smells of more than just gas. Rotten eggs and smoke, ain't a healthy smell. His dog reeks the worst of the two, that mutt gives me the heebejeebies. Still, Hunt's a drat good kid, so I'll let him be for now. Never know what kinda back up you may need on the hunt.

Dr. Olivia Tynes
Whoowee, now ain't she a smart one. Glad she loving deigned to come down from her shiny ivory tower to give us poo folk some help. Lord knows what we would do without the helpin hand ah college professors. poo poo, I may be being a bit to hard on her. But Olivia got this loving way of being about that just says she thinks shes got all the goddamn answers and that shes so goddamn smarter than y'all. Well, she may have a fancy college degree, but she can't fix a generator for poo poo, or find her way through the swamp. She knows a lot about the things that lurk in the dark, I'll give her that, and shes got the right ideals in her head. If she just took the time to look at the under class as people, rather than either things to fix or strawmen, she could be a drat good asset to this city.

Coralee Hardy
She don't make me as sad as poor Beatrice does, but it ain't loving right that someone so goddamn young should be out fighting this type of bullshit. The fact that theres a whole loving network of sorority girls dedicated to fighting off attacks by bloodsuckers makes my blood boil. Girls ain't even got the chance to fully loving blossom into adults, and some pale prick with a thirst for blood is trying to do some Stranger Danger poo poo to them. Nah, gently caress that. Coralee is a drat good person to have at your back during a fight, and her and the other kids in this group give me a reason to keep on doing this poo poo. So that no more kids have to go out into the night and do this poo poo.

Gabriel Landry
I have nothing but respect for Gabriel. I know how it is, being raised in an environment of poverty and violence. I ain't trying to look, equvilate my experiences with his, since black folks got it ten times harder than I'll ever really know, but I kinda get it. He fights back against both the hosed up power structures that rule down here, and against the monopoly of coverage that the spooky fucks have. I can respect making sure people try an 'get woke', the more people who know about this poo poo, the less freedom it has to grab the innocent.

Beatrice Patterson
Beatrice, Beatrice just loving hurts my heart. Ain't goddamn fair that someone so goddamn young should have to deal with their daddy going missing, the whole loving world of darkness and get goddamn touched in the head. I ain't trying to like, loving marginalize her or something, but shes clearly loving dealing with the creeping dark by going all Roswell and poo poo. The monsters here didn't come from the stars, they were born among the muck and filth. Men created the horrors here, not aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846581 GAME THREAD GO

• Locked thread