Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Woefully under marketed, Savage: Resurrection (S:R) was released in 2016 to little fanfare. There was an excellent OP made here by Chomp8645 which I will quote below. S:R in essence is a FPS / RTS hybrid game. Two teams take the field, choosing between the factions of Beasts or the Humans. Each faction has its own tech tree, units, weapons, special abilities, etc. ( There's a whole storyline, I won't get into it here) The thing which makes S:R unique is that each team also has one commander who has a top-down RTS style view, and oversees all base building, resource gathering, technology/unit/weapon upgrades, and general strategy for the team's assaults and defenses.

The game has languished over time, probably due to the fact that S2 games failed to market it. Like at all. It's actually a very decent game which ran smoothly (once you got in-game) and looks good - and was fun for the few weeks that people played.

The real cool thing is that S:R is 100% FREE TO PLAY RIGHT NOW

Are any goons interested in trying to organize some games? AI commander and bots to flesh out the teams are available, so even 8-10 goons would be enough to have a small match. The steamcharts are depressing to look at, but there do seem to be a handful of pubbies left who play.

Post here and if we get enough interest, let's play some Savage.

Chomp8645 posted:

Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/366440
($15 right now, $20 regular)

Savage is back baby! Some of you may remember the classic(?) Savage as one the first hybrid FPS/RTS games on the market and the polarizing sequel (Savage 2) which followed it. Most of you however have probably never heard of it at all, so basically it's like Natural Selection. Two teams, each with one commander and a large of number of soldiers, all played by human beings in 16v16 player matches. The commander takes on a traditional RTS role, using his top down camera to issue build orders, decide on research/tech priorities, and to command the team's soldiers where to go and what to do. He has no physical presence on the map. The soldiers play very similar to an FPS (with melee mechanics) except in this game a human commander may order you to go specific places or even help build/mine, orders which most pubbies will proceed to gleefully ignore. The objective of the game is simply to smash the other team's central stronghold structure, kind of like a dota. How you go about this is up the commander and his plan (and how well people listen).

Stuff to Know
- Regular price is $20, there is Steam Sale right now for 25% off for the release week (released Aug 18th).
- Like its predecessors, Savage Resurrection is PC only. Sorry consailures, Gaben does what Nintendon't.
- For returning Savage players, this game pulled a Dork Souls and is much closer in design philosophy to Savage 1 than Savage 2 in almost every way. It's up to you how you feel about this.
- There is absolutely zero persistent progression of any kind beyond cosmetics. You may see this as great or terrible. You have 100% of the gameplay, and 100% of your power in your first match.
- For the first time in the series there is full offline play or play with friends vs bots. I have no idea if this mode sucks or not at this time.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/q0BOpZgcY2o

This OP is gonna be short for now because I just got the game after finding out it existed earlier this afternoon. I loved Savage and Savage 2 and never even heard a peep about this game until today so I figure the word needs to get out a bit. I'll update with more info and tips for noobs soon. Unless nobody gives a hoot of course, because then I won't do anything. If you have anything you think should be included I'll be happy to copy-paste.

GAME IS EONWE APPROVED

Eonwe posted:

game good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wow I had no idea they put out another Savage. I remember having LAN parties with the original game, it was pretty innovative at the time.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Popete posted:

Wow I had no idea they put out another Savage. I remember having LAN parties with the original game, it was pretty innovative at the time.

S:R is a remaster, more or less. The mechanics and units are near identical. Some of the melee times are a bit different (i.e. the Savage doesn't have one big blade of doom, I think he Dual wields now)

But yeah, this is the reason it hasn't done very well - nobody has heard of it!

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
wow i played the og Savage, and even was following the mod Bushido Halflife which got conscripted to make an Asian themed reskin for the second game, and played the gently caress out of HoN for years... how did i not know about this?!?

• Locked thread