Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ynohtna posted:

What to watch when we complete Mrs Maisel?

Have you seen The Tick yet? It’s fun, hilarious, and you can bang the whole thing out in an afternoon if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Dammit, my wife and I were really enjoying our December binge-watch of Justified (her first time, my second), but as of today, it is no longer available for free through Amazon Prime. I'm just relieved we made it through Season 3 last night (my favorite season with my favorite villain) and only just started Season 4, which isn't the worst place to stop watching.

I always pay attention to those lists of what gets added to and removed from Netflix and Amazon Prime each month, and I definitely didn't notice Justified being removed at the end of December. Oh well. I just bought my dad the complete series on DVD, so maybe he'll loan us the back half for now.

What? gently caress. I just got to S2 on my rewatch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I’m way more excited for this than I should be considering I’m pushing 30. I loved the books when they were coming out, and the art design and tone of S1 were perfect.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

plus NPH is a sheer delight as always

It’s so great seeing him as a villain. Especially a scenery chewing one like Olaf.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Dammit, my wife and I were really enjoying our December binge-watch of Justified (her first time, my second), but as of today, it is no longer available for free through Amazon Prime. I'm just relieved we made it through Season 3 last night (my favorite season with my favorite villain) and only just started Season 4, which isn't the worst place to stop watching.

I always pay attention to those lists of what gets added to and removed from Netflix and Amazon Prime each month, and I definitely didn't notice Justified being removed at the end of December. Oh well. I just bought my dad the complete series on DVD, so maybe he'll loan us the back half for now.

Are you outside of the US? It’s all on Prime for me at the moment.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

I know it was definitely gone yesterday as it's been in my watchlist for awhile, but now it looks like it's back. It's probably some rights renewal thing where it lagged updating.

Makes sense. That post was a roller coaster.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I didn't see it but this is one of those things where there's a major gulf between audience and critical reaction and it occurred to me there's been a few things lately like that. The Orville, Star Trek Discovery and the new Star Wars all had wildly different reactions between the two groups.

I really enjoyed it. It did what it set out to do well.

They’re dropping Landis for the sequel

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

AdultSwim.com is running a marathon of 12 Oz. Mouse today and it's the closest thing I've ever seen to Wacky Delly come to life. It's amazing. :psyduck:

I'd previously been a fan of Frisky Dingo/ATHF/Squidbillies/SGC2C/Brak/Metalocalypse/Loiter Squad/Black Jesus, but the nice thing about the job I have right now is the downtime has allowed me to discover so many [as] shows I'd never paid attention to until the last year; Harvey Birdman, China, IL, 12 Oz Mouse, Sealab 2021, and further diving into Rick and Morty.

That reminds me that Frisky Dingo is on Hulu now. I gotta give it a rewatch, I don’t think I’ve seen the whole thing since 2009 or 10.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I watched the first episode of Tin Star and hated it, as much as I liked that it had the guts to kill off the kid, removing that awful child actor from the show

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve been rewatching Frisky Dingo for the first time in years. I didn’t realize Taquil I’d voiced by Killer Mike. That’s awesome, Killer Mike is the man.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

It would’ve been super fun as a Lord/Miller film. This is the first real time I think Disney have dropped the ball.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It would’ve been super fun as a Lord/Miller film. This is the first real time I think Disney have dropped the ball.

Yeah, Lord and Miller can basically save any premise and make an engaging, funny movie. They even made a good comedy sequel with 22 Jump Street, which is nearly impossible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is fringe streaming anywhere? I have S5 on amazon from buying the season pass when it first aired but I want to rewatch it again.

If it isn’t, anyone know a good place to buy some box sets? Fringe is up there with Terriers and the Leftovers for me in terms of all time great shows.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gobbeldygook posted:

If you're in the US or have a VPN, it's free to stream on go90.

I’m in the US, so thank you!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I really enjoyed Kinneman’s performance in the Robocop reboot, and he looks like he’s perfect for Kovacs. I’m hyped. I wonder who they’ll have as the lead if they do the sequel, since the other preview stuff shows that Kinneman is playing the dude he’s sleeved into. They have three Kovacs on the cast page for this one alone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

gently caress yes, this show was incredible. Can’t believe it’s already been off the air for five years.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr Hootington posted:

The Good Doctor is loving dumb.

Fixed. I just want something to recapture the lightning that was House S1-4.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Popelmon posted:

I just started a Better Off Ted rewatch. Goddamn I forgot how good that show was. Portia De Rossi is just killing it.

Is it streaming anywhere? I was really disappointed when it left Netflix.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timby posted:

They haven't been a news channel ever since they rebranded from CNN Headline News to HLN. Now it's just sensationalism.

loving Zucker.

Back when it I was headline news I loved it for a quick update. Right now I just use it for forensic files when I want to fall asleep on night shifts.

How is the Orville if I liked TNG as a concept and thought the show was kinda slow? I liked a lot of the actors but 90s me got kinda bored by filler episodes. Loved stuff like the borg or the time loop episode though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's strange that Damon Wayans is about 15 years older than Danny Glover was when he played Murtaugh but still seems a lot younger.

Somewhere there is a portrait of Wayans aging in his place. He could probably still manage to play someone in their late 20s convincingly.

E:Its some real Dick Clark level poo poo. Well, pre stroke Dick Clark.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 19, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I saw The Nice Guys a few months ago, and Shane Black can still make a fantastic movie for sure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

I liked Get Smart but I don't think that kind of humor plays anymore. Just like you don't see Mel Brooks type movies or parodies like Hot Shots or Naked Gun anymore.

I would watch the gently caress out of a Mr Ed revival though.

I would watch the hell out of a Hot Shots Part Tres. Those movies are so corny but I love ‘em.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

I would hate to see a modern zuckers and abrahams comedy. They're trumpsters last I checked.

Awww man, that’s sad to hear.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think I remember Pratt being a creep in The Five Year Engagement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-UahrHq4J8

Like, he's funny and goofy in other scenes, but I'm convinced he could play a decent serial killer.

Didn’t he play some hardass seal team 6 guy in Zero Dark Thirty?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Just saw that Amazon canceled JCVJ. gently caress you Bezos! This and perhaps Man in High Castle were the only of their shows worth watching so that's a bummer as it was pretty fun and great to see JCVD again in a self-aware role.

Go check out Patriot, The Tick, and Ms Maisel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Longmire did a good job of balancing case of the week with the overarching plot stuff pretty well. The first two Netflix seasons moved to having some 2-3 episode cases too, which I liked. Still haven’t seen the final season since I got distracted with a lot of other stuff but I’m hoping to get to it when I’m in the right mood for it.

Been watching Legion and the Orville on Hulu the past few days. You guys were right when you said I’d like the Orville. It has the stuff that makes me want to like Trek, but with more of a sense of fun and a faster pacing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

raditts posted:

Yeah, his hurp durp goon stereotyping doesn't even make sense in the case of DC shows, because those usually get the best reception in season 1 when the show is fresh and they have a lot of ideas to draw from before it settles into a groove.

Person of Interest is one example of a show where the goon consensus seems to be that season 3 is the best of the run.

I’ve always found character based comedies really hit their stride in S3. Seinfeld, Always Sunny, and Parks and Rec all come to mind. It’s when the writers and actors seem to really all get exactly what they want the characters and relationships to be.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Who wants to see Tom Cruise break his ankle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNT-tPrz4OM

:stare:

The fact he tried to keep running after that is hardcore.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm no expert on accents, nor am I even American but what is with the abundance of super lovely Boston accents?

Spielberg and Scorsese are all time great directors but how do they let poo poo like Hank's accent in Catch Me If You Can and Dicaprio/Baldwin/Whalberg in The Departed slide?

Mark Wahlberg is from Boston, so I think that’s a case of the real thing not sounding right to people who only know the movie version.

As a former Masshole, I think either of those accents were pretty accurate.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I feel like they’re going to have Luthor be behind all the incidents they’re investigating so they can go full Fringe ripoff without getting exactly what it was that made people love Fringe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I tried to watch Banshee because of all the talk I’ve seen in the thread and it hasn’t grabbed me yet. Only on episode three, does it pick up?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I might try Strike Back instead of Banshee if the characters are that much better. I think what was driving me off of Banshee was that I just couldn’t bring myself to care about the characters, which makes it really hard to care about the stakes.

Though that video someone linked of the fight against the MMA guy was real cool.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Also skip the original season of Strike Back. If you see Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead you're seeing the crappy season that deals with soldiers crying about killing bad guys and that it makes them sad.

It’s weird, Prime has what I guess is S2 listed as S1. I’m halfway through E2 and enjoying it. It’s pretty dumb but the action scenes are set up well and the characters are more likeable than Banshee’s.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ugh, that goddamn Imagine Dragons song that’s in basically every ad of the last year ruined that trailer for me.

Pumped for S2, but god drat that band needs to go away and never come back.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Randallteal posted:

Are they actually super popular? I thought they were basically just a farm for obnoxious ad/commercial music. Never met a fan in real life.

They’re on the radio constantly, but yeah, never met a fan or seen someone deliberately turn on one of their songs.

Altered Carbon is out and really good so far (halfway into E1).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

So Netflix's expensive tentpole show dropped today and it is nowhere on the app. I figured it would at least be in the “new releases” column but nope, it was not on my frontpage at all. Their app is so bad at letting you know what's new, if you look at the recently released section, they have poo poo from 6 months ago.

Yeah, I was complaining about this in one of the streaming threads. I ended up having it buried under their Malaysian standup push, even though a huge chunk of my watch history is sci fi shows.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DivisionPost posted:

~*~*~Algorithms~*~*~ determine the content of each user’s front page. If you’re not seeing it it’s because they don’t think you’re interested for some stupid reason.

SILICON VALLEY: CREATING OUR FUTURE

They also do a thing where they bury some stuff they expect to be popular to avoid excess server load. It’s annoying for me because I work a big chunk of the weekend, so if I want to binge something new, it’s gotta be on the Friday that it comes out on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Has anyone made an Altered Carbon thread yet? I would do it but I’m stuck phoneposting for the time being. I love this so far. Kinnaman is exactly how I pictured Kovacs (in Ryker’s body) when I read the book back in the day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thanks! Not having control-f on the awful app makes it easy for me to miss threads when I’m looking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spatula City posted:

Fargo aside, Altered Carbon owns so far. I'm afraid to go into the thread, because I know it'll be a shitshow. I just know it.
I heard bad things about Kinnaman, but he's fine - honestly I'd argue the way he portrays Kovacs grounds the show. The unexpected surprise (I haven't read the novel) is that there's a second protagonist, Ortega, and she's loving great. :allears:

The thread isn’t particularly shitshow-y. I agree about Kinnaman, he is exactly how I pictured Kovacs when I read Altered Carbon. Spot on casting, even if it led to some really undeserved accusations of whitewashing when it was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

I really just bought it to show off the 4k HDR on my new tv. I mean, it's loving gorgeous, but yeah I don't think I'll rewatch it other than for that.

When they took Futurama down it really snapped me back to reality. I was bummed about losing the ease of the netflix interface over playing files in windows but then I got Plex.

Hulu has been taking up a lot of the good TV Netflix has lost like 30 rock and futurama at least.

Someone needs to get Dirty Jobs and early Mythbusters back, though.