Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Are those green robots a nod to the time his somehow-even-shittier-than-other-cartoonists' drawings of Obama were mistaken for deliberate ape-like racist caricatures and he considered giving Obama green skin because nobody in real life is green so it can't offend anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Just noticed this on Lance "Galatianman" Rengel's sidebar:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Both incorrect and horrible. God I hope Tinsley and everyone else who insists this, dies.

I wonder - how many political cartoonists have died since we started doing these threads in 2007?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 4, 2018

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

This image visually sums up the 'straw maniac' trope. Sayyyyyy...

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

If, even a few years ago, you'd told me I would want a particular Israeli Jew to die in an attack, I would have punched you in the face.

And yet.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

So. Red Panels, Stonetoss, and in between, a short-lived webcomic called Scramble Station Alpha. It looks like we may have a new terrible mythical race in our cultural history. Klurfsman is too generic - Ku-Klurf? Ugh. Vanilla Klurfs are sullied enough.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Easiest way to tell it isn't Shmorky is that Klurfself never draws characters with bones.

Do you even grammar any? You're looking for an equivalent to 'he' or 'she'. I've pondered this before. Perhaps 'kle'.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

loquacius posted:

Jesus :stare:

I wanted to post an actual comic here instead of just having a link but it's too tasteless for me to want one of those things in my clipboard for even a second

The comic had a unique potential for terribleness. Political cartoonists have enough power over their fictional worlds as it is - the bad guys can be as crazy and terrible as they want, and the good guys as calm and competent likewise. But a science fiction setting? The cartoonist has power over EVERYTHING. The Ku-Klurfs, here called Hwytes? If the comic had continued, it probably would have been revealed that they're demonstrably biologically superior to all other life in known space. I'm not even going to go into what could have been done with the species introduced in the mercifully final strip. Ughhhhhh.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Lance 'Galatianman' Rengel has started his Patreon.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

With help from Wolfram Alpha, I've done the math about the Klurfsmen. Red Panels lasted 934 days. 934 days from the beginning of Stonetoss is July 24, 2019. Do we think Stonetoss will end up closing up shop like Red Panels did, and if so, will it last longer or less long than Red Panels?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

How likely is it that the Stonetoss guy is secretly the Red Panels guy, secretly starting over not long before ending his own comic (purportedly because he doxxed himself and hosed up his life)?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Or, as a liberal Christian, I ask what's wrong with the idea of God expressing things to people in terms they can understand?
Ohohohoho. Welcome to the wonderful world of biblical infallibility.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

-Brackets were very hard because it's hard to probably "seed" something like this. There's a lot of lovely people, and not enough edge cases where someone wouldn't feel it's bad matchup. That's why people like Latuff and Cagle made the cut.

On this note, gently caress you for matching up Ben "Not a cryptofascist I swear" Garrison and Dan "Sin-cursed world" Lietha together at the start. The choice was AGONIZING. Completely facepunchworth for completely different reasons.

Also, you misspelled Joel Barbee as John Barbee. And I can't find anything from Barry, the unGoogleable.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 8, 2018

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Big problem with the tournament bracket: Red Panels and Stonetoss have separate entries. Overwhelming thread consensus is that they are one and the same, starting over after doxxing himself.

Of course, although it's unlikely, I'd lose my poo poo if they both ended up in the final round.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

How can they consistently mess up their Zuckerberg caricatures? The guy has a pretty distinct look, should be easy enough!

When I thought about why, thinking turned into wondering. What kind of people have their caricatures hosed up the most often when featured in political cartoons? With what kinds of people do cartoonists not even loving try?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Retromancer posted:

The guy who doesn’t do caricatures did a better Zuck than 80% of this thread That does them on a daily basis.

I'm guessing a lot of cartoonists are consciously not bothering to do a decent caricature of him because they believe they'll never have to draw him again so it's not worth the effort.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

The WHEN IT'S OUR GUY IT'S OKAY trope is incredibly loving tired. I wonder how many have been featured in our threads.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Thoughts:

On lovely caricatures: there are probably so many bad caricatures of Zuckerberg because the cartoonists don't give two tap-dancing shits about him and will never need to draw him again, but they still need to do a comic about the Facebook scandal so they had no choice but to at least try to depict him specifically. I'm reminded of my thoughts about the Kelly comic about recent iPhone problems and how landlines are better:

Me: "Uh, Mr. Kelly, you could probably get some mileage out of the specific problems. Like, it's possible to tweet a particular symbol that automatically makes iPhones crash."
Kelly: "Strange, your lips don't match what I'm hearing. All I caught was, 'DAHHHHH, MY FONE DUN WORK GUD NO MORE, A BLOO-BLA-BLOO.'"

I wonder if any other personalities have gotten a bunch of lovely caricatures for this reason, wherein cartoonists don't give a gently caress about them but can't get away with genericizing them.

On A Good Cartoon, the beloved game of interpreting political cartoons in exactly the wrong way: I've noticed that a good source of A Good Cartoons so Good you don't even need to provide an explanation as to why is something others have observed in general - what I call the Two Insults. There are two basic ways to insult someone's behavior: call them incompetent, or call them mean, nasty, unfriendly or otherwise unpleasant. In other words, call them Stupid or Evil (no apologies to Gene Ray). Doing both at once is overkill - 'don't beat your enemies all the way down'. The Nazis didn't even do that to the Jews, because of course they didn't - why would people rise up against an incompetent non-threat, no matter how nasty?

The reason this rule results in Good Cartoons is that if you depict your enemies as being nasty and competent, you better drat well make sure you depict them as being nasty and not just as people you don't like. If you simply depict them as defeating the people the cartoonist sides with, people who disagree with the cartoonist's views will look upon the cartoon and see that it is Good. This has even happened to North Korea and its infamous Squirrel and Hedgehog cartoon - in the most recent episodes, the metaphor for the US finally shows up - ruthless high-tech canines of war. People looked at them and thought they were actually pretty awesome. (Also, it didn't help that, furry or not, they wanted to bang Lieutenant Vixen.)

The latest cartoon on the AGC Tumblr is an example of the inverse - stupid but not evil. Except, of course, it's too light on the stupid. People who agree with the viewpoint depicted are capable of interpreting it as A Good Cartoon.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 14, 2018

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

So, what are the currently accepted political cartoonist secret identities? The ones I know:

A. Wyatt Mann = Nick Bougas
Tina Garrison = Ben Garrison
Stonetoss Guy = Red Panels Guy

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Edit: whoops

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

frankenfreak posted:

Stan Kelly out of touch? :thunk:
"Of course it's gotta have one, how the hell else is it gonna access the cybernets? YOU GOTTA GIVE ME THE ANTENNA!"

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Welp. The bracket's finally broken me. Ben Garrison vs Stonetoss.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Stonetoss's whole thing is being carefully constructed foot-in-the-door recruiting propaganda though. It's insidious by design. There's been more than one comic that left people in this very thread amused and wondering what subtle bigotry they were missing, only to have it pointed out.

Inversely, I think the alt-right might have ballyhooed Garrison in order to make people hate him more, because as an outspoken far-right piece of poo poo, he was making them all look bad. They want to recruit and spread, but they need to do it carefully, lest too many people realize what their game actually is.

That does it for me. I'm voting Stonetoss. Garrison is a horrible subhuman piece of poo poo but Stonetoss is actually actively dangerous.

Edit: Stonetoss likes retweeting strips from a couple of comics I haven't seen here yet, H8ku and Martian Magazine.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 30, 2018

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

radon goo coat
actor do a goon
goon taco road

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

A random thought: how the hell did we discover bizarre outsider comics Galatianman and The World Today Just Nuts? And do we know of any others?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Stonetoss has retweeted a recently-started comic, ReallyGoodComics. While not particularly political, it's... Yeah(TM).

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I'm tempted to start a bracket for the vile webcomics in Stonetoss's (formerly Red Panels's) social circle. Trouble is, I only have six so far. Can anyone suggest a couple who've been mentioned by any of these six or are at least in a similar vein?

Stonetoss (formerly Red Panels)
H8ku
(he he) Silly
Martian Magazine
Sans Comics/Pseudo-Herostratus
ReallyGoodComics

"🎵Come on in, let's form an ethnostate that never ends, we're not Nazis, we're just that wacky ol' Stonetoss & Friends!🎵"
"You folks have this confused. I'm a superman, and you're subhuman."

Manuel Calavera posted:

Why is every single one of these terrible, and also trying to ape the style of like that Shen comic guy? But really badly? I mean I know WHY but just, why are there so many of them?
ReallyGoodComics is really bitter, mean-spirited and hateful. It's those kinds of feelings that the alt-right seeks in potential recruits.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 8, 2018

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Who did the one that made Emma Gonzalez look like a goblin? And who did the things that look like Vegan Comix, but had nazi messages?

The former is (he he) Silly. The latter might also be (he he) Silly; they do have similar art styles.
Dammit, 6, why can't you be a power of two? BEND TO MY WILL MATHEMATICS YOU poo poo

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I think some of them are more in the vein of lovely webcomics and not political cartoons.
Stonetoss reposts comics like H8ku and ReallyGoodComics for a reason. They're exactly the kind of disenfranchised-feeling people the alt-right recruits.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

whomupclicklike posted:

I don't think it's that unlikely that there'd be two dipshits with a similar opinion
Thread consensus is that they're one and the same, citing similar methods of drawing shading and tongues. Stonetoss started not long before Red Panels ended, with the latter not only liking to the former but talking it up. Most likely, Red Panels either got doxxed, doxxed himself or was told by alt-righters that he was making them look bad (instead of hiding behind plausible deniability like they do) and that if he didn't quit or change his methods under another name his dox would be sent to everyone he knew and worked for.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

These own, never stop posting them. I just wish they were a single image, so that they'd be easier to show to other people

My headcanon is that Miarg Squeakernes (the True Norwegian Black Metal cat) meows entirely in Cookie Monster vocals.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Xander77 posted:

So the artist is just giving up on the whole idea of recognizable caricatures?
When everyone was doing lovely caricatures of Zuckerberg, at least THAT was understandable: "Ugh, do I really have to draw this guy who makes those beep-boops or whatever? I'll just phone it in, it's not like I'll ever have to draw him again."

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

Sooo, without each other, both LDS and BSA are going to sink?

Great metaphor there, buddy.

Ditocoaf posted:

I thought that's what he was saying on purpose. The signature says this is for the Salt Lakr Tribune, so odds are reasonably good that the artist's a mormon. At the very least, he's saying it's a bad move for the scouts

Pants Donkey posted:

Bagley is a former Mormon, so it isn’t going to be in favor of the church.
Looks like it's time for an A Good Cartoon spinoff: A ????? Cartoon.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Ladies and gentlemen: Stonetoss and Friends!

Stonetoss

Martian Magazine

H8ku :barf: (click to enlarge)
Oh god dammit it just keeps flowing, read more on Facebook if you dare.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 11, 2018

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

Martian Magazine
Wait... hmm... X^4-Y^4=XY? Lemme just punch that into WolframAlpha and son of a bitch. (I wonder if Wormwood avoided cranking the numbers up higher so it'd be less obvious or because he's just stupid. Oh, and he should have put a minus sign in front of XY.)

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 11, 2018

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

There's a new Martian Magazine, and... you know what, maybe there might be something to toning down posting of Stonetoss & Friends comics. I found myself laughing because it was that or sinking into despair.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 11, 2018

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

itskage posted:

Too bad kids, dead reckoning does and it's his God damned constitutional right. This is why we don't base policy on the whining of children, dumb brats don't Some day you might live long enough to enjoy your 2nd ammendment rights and t

I think you made a mistake or two while typing that. Not surprising, since making fun of the people you were satirizing requires you to turn off part of your brain.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Ah, Nemi, where, according to my understanding, eggs are forbidden and honey is a mutagen.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 27, 2018

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm not clicking a like with goatse in the url, although that may be more pleasant than that cartoon.

Too bad POLITOON THREAD LAW mandates that I must read all comics posted without scrolling past, so now I have to bitch about it every twenty posts.

It's not goatse, it's goaste. Now-defunct bizarre humor site (originally hosted at goaste.cx); n3ta is a forum whose community probably spawned it.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t quite get it. What does a Sonicbot have to do with the previous panels?

Basically, it makes no sense for someone to be born as a furry/Sonic-fetishist/whatever. The comic is making the argument that gay and trans people are the same - that it develops during life as the result of a choice or of nurture, not nature. (Psst, the alt-right want to put them on metaphorical trains to literal gas chambers, and killing people for how they were born hasn't been cool since the 40's.)

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Ughhhhh. First a Stonetoss edit hits the big time on reddit (noticed by Stonetoss himself), and now the original strip is on the top bar of Know Your Meme.