Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I'm back into MGS. My first experience with it was playing the PS1 demo of 1, and then getting the VR missions on PC. I never had a Playstation, I had played the demo on a friend's, so I didn't end up playing 1 until Twin Snakes, which I loved.

I got Substance for Xbox, played it, loved it, wished the VR missions in that had the Mystery section, but what can ya do?

I saw MGS3 at a friend's house and they showed me the Russian Glowcap interaction between Para-Medic, Sigint, and Snake. Then they showed me the 3-minute ladder. I was in love. I didn't even own a PS2, but my gf at the time did, so I bought Subsistence and holy loving gently caress. For over 15 years, that's been in my top 5. I adore MGS 3 so much.

Never played 4, never had a PS3. If it ever gets ported to PC, I'm down.

Eventually, I got the HD collection for 360. I replayed 2 and 3, loved them even more. Played a bit of Peace Walker, really enjoyed that, until my console died. I didn't end up fixing it and then eventually sold the HD collection with the rest of my 360 games. Wish I hadn't. Wish I had just bought another one, refurbed, whatever.

Never got a ps4 or xb1, and until last year, I didn't have a high-end gaming PC. I used to, but it's ancient now.

And like a week ago, goons in the Steam Deck thread got talking about emulating MGS3. My ears/eyes/entire body perked up, because yes please, but someone suggested I try out Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain. It turns out, I already owned GZ on Steam, so I installed it and holy shitballs, I love it. Beat the main mission, rescued Kojima, still have the other missions to do, including Deja and jamais vu. And then some wonderful good gifted me TPP out of nowhere and I started it today.

That hospital escape... :stare:
That guy on fire :stare:

The loving SKULLS :gonk:

Anyway, I mentioned that the sniper battle with The End in MGS 3 is not only my favourite part of that game, but my favourite boss battle ever, and someone hinted to me that they "have really good news about MGS5, then" and I'm hopeful for whatever that is. I already know stuff about the story, like who the man on fire is (:psyduck:) and the general story, but I don't know anything about this upcoming sniper battle. I think I heard that it involves Quiet, but so far, I last saw her on fire, falling out a window.

I'm greatly looking forward to experiencing MGS5, even if the story isn't great. I do wish Miller was voiced by Cam Clarke, I wish Ocelot was more :ocelot::smug:, and while I don't mind Kiefer as Snake, I wish he had even some of the weird inflections David Hayter brought to the role. Like, does he say "Metal Gear?!" at all?

After MGS5 GZ/TPP is all done with, I'll probably move on to Death Stranding. I need more Kojima weirdness in my life, now that I have a system to play his stuff on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait, in MGS5, is mother base the place that Snake infiltrates in MGS1? Was this obvious? I never played much of mgs1, as I never had access to the MSX version as a kid, and didn't play much when I had it in Subsistence. I know the deal with Big Boss, at least.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

e: I got confused reading and answering this. You mean Metal Gear 1, not MGS right? That was Outer Heaven, Venom just moved there before Solid's mission.

I did mean Metal Gear 1, yes.

Ah Outer Heaven. It would've been really neat if mgs5 had you setting that up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just realized that, for many years more than I usually think about, I've loved Metal Gear. I always forget that MG 1 on NES was my cousin's favourite game for a while, when we were kids, and even though I didn't specifically get into it (it was way too hard and obviously now I see why, back then when I was 7 or 8, it was just ":shrug: impossible game!"), he and I would play around the house and outside, pretending to be in the game. Usually I'd be pretending to be in Contra, but with him, it was always Metal Gear. Most of the time, when I think of the series, it's "yeah, I didn't really get into it at all until Twin Snakes", but it started WAY before that.

I should really find a way to play MGS4, (restart and) finish Peace Walker, and finally play the real MG2, so I'll have experienced pretty much most of the series. Oh, and Acid (is there an Acid 2?) and Tactical Ops.

Edit: I just remembered how my cousin and I would take turns being Big Boss, and I didn't think anything of the name, when you're a kid, most bad guys are just "bosses".

Years later, I'm reading about MGS lore for the first time and "oh..... His code name was actually Big Boss..... huh...."

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 6, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After The War posted:

The timeline is intentionally vague, but I assume that other Big Boss is having fun starting FOXHOUND, collecting supervillains, and being a jerk to clones while you're busy paying the bills.

Ohhh right.... That's.... That's probably true. That's why mgs 5 can't have you, the player, being the one setting up Outer Heaven, because that's not what actually happened.

Makes sense, at least as far as the twist at the end of 5 makes sense. I already know it as I'm not really playing mgs5 for the story.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Larryb posted:

As for MG2 at least, you’ve got a PS3 you can track down a copy of the Legacy Collection or MGS3: Subsistence. Alternatively, decent MSX emulation exists

Yes there is an Acid 2 and it’s better than the first one in my opinion. Also I assume you mean “Portable Ops” for the last one and you’d need a PSP or a Vita to play any of them

Ok, good to know! And yeah, I meant POOPS.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I did so much tonight (well, I felt like I did). 2 side ops and one mission, getting the dude who can build me an arm. I tried going in quietly to that base but then I thought "nah, gently caress it" and killed or Fulton'd everyone. I took out a search party consisting of 4 soldiers TWICE, both times the same way.... Lure them all together, throw a grenade, hear their surprised warning yell when it's way too late and throw the bodies off the side of the road lest we get visitors.

And then I started loving with everyone who was left over by continually switching off the power and Fulton-ing anyone who tried to fix it.

Earlier, though, I got the smg blueprints like a ghost. In and out and no one was even distracted or misdirected. I was just patient.

Also, I got my dog :3:

And I'm only 4% into the game! ::psyduck:

I think this might end up being my favourite in the series. It's so good.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 7, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I don't know how much of the intended game is in there, but to some extent feeling like something should be there but isn't is the intended experience. Hence the title

Your post goes quite well with your custom title :golfclap:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My first playthrough is going to be me just trying to do my best.

Subsequent playthroughs will involve me doing crazy gimmicky poo poo.

- I must silently kill literally everyone
- I will put everyone to sleep in a big pile somewhere
- I won't bring anything with me. Nothing, other than clothing that I have to bring.
- I will take out the radar everywhere and shoot out all of the lights. Hello darkness, my old friend.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I loved infiltrating a base, creating mayhem, all the while listening to Kids in America and The Man Who Sold the World.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

if you didnt make Maneater your helicopter music then i dont want to be friends with you

I haven't gotten that one yet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Help I stayed up until 2:30 am (and I start work at 7am!).... But I had to get the Honey Bee out of there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cross posting from the "What should I know before playing this game?" thread, since it's about MGS5, and I figured more eyes would give more info, especially from the MGS thread:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Now, a couple more questions, since I'm at work now and can't check directly:

A) is there a downside, aside from the -300 each time and having to resupply, to literally Fulton-ing everyone? Does Fulton-ing multiple weapon installations (AA guns, mortars) do anything for me other than take them away from the enemy?

2) when I'm upgrading or researching weapons, is there a way that I could accidentally request research on something twice and waste resources? Or is everything I see on the list worth it, generally?

What I mean is, I see a bunch of stuff I already have (or at least I think I already have) and I don't necessarily want to research or develop something that I don't need to. Does the game allow me to accidentally double up on stuff like that, or is it only showing me stuff that I can get once or can still upgrade?

D) am I paying the soldiers that I'm not using? Should I dismiss the D and E ranks, or can they be trained up?

IV) Where's DD? I rescued him, he licked my face, Ocelot said he could train him, and then I never saw him again. I realize he'll eventually be ready to partner up, but until then, can I actually visit him on mother base?

These questions all come from the fact that I just haven't been at mother base that much, nor have I really dove into the upgrade/research screens; I just keep going back out into the field and causing mayhem. My favourite thing to do currently is setting C4 on the road and waiting for the cargo truck to drive by :ocelot::black101:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After The War posted:

In the time between when you bring DD back and before you can take him out on missions, you can wander around the base and overhear some of your guys talk about puppies. :kimchi:

I've heard this, actually!

Also, I was wondering what the point of the horse poop was. I was explaining this game to a friend of mine who's not into it at all, and I told her I assumed it was tactical poop. Turns out I was right!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, so I did the first Unlucky Dog side OP last night, trying to sneak into that huge square compound. I just. kept. failing. Eventually, I decided 'gently caress stealth', got into the prisoner's room in the corner, and just aimed at the door. Waves and waves of 2-3 soldiers each kept coming, until CP said that they were just flat out of guys. After what seemed like a half an hour, I sniped the last two guys from up top of the wall, and that was enough to capture it. And I got an A rating?!

:shrug:

Anyway, this is the first MGS game that doesn't make me immediate regret getting seen some of the time. How I handled it last night, at the end of it, was fine. I appreciate being able to, even once in a while, turn into some sort of Terminator.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

While I'm still loving the game (mgs5), that sniper battle with Quiet was incredibly underwhelming.

Nothing will top the sniper battle with The End.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm trying to find all of the music available in mgs5, and while it's no trouble learning what licensed songs are in it, can someone tell me if the original Metal Gear (MSX or NES) theme song is on there? I seem to remember hearing that it was, but if so, I'm sure it's called something else in the list of tapes.

Also, did I read correctly that SNAKE EATER is in this?! :swoon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really hope MGS is remade/re-released to work well nowadays, with all of the vr mission trimmings and everything. Not necessarily the Twin Snakes version (I have nothing against it, but I know it rubs fans of the original the wrong way), but SOMETHING.

2 had Substance, 3 had Subsistence, they both along with PW got re-released in HD, and MGS3 was on the 3DS ffs. The first one needs more love.

Maybe someday, we'll have the Ultimate MGS collection, with all of the main games, including PW, and all of the bonuses that were released along with them (like the msx versions of MG 1 and 2, all of the vr missions with Mystery, skateboarding).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After The War posted:

Cobra Unit were unabashed Silver Age comic supervillains, though, and I loved that.

Yeah, I feel the same.

Really, I just love the sniper battle with The End. We were literally hunting each other.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One thing that bugs me is how, in pretty much any MGS game, you can severely gently caress with them (kill soldiers and then they're discovered), and if they can't find you in time, it's virtually like business as usual, ho-hum, let's get back to work, guys.

At the same time, I realize that permanent alert would suuuuuuuck, so I get it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I finally got DD :3:

He is the best boy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s great how he went back to doing the worst poo poo imaginable after Uncut Gems.

I loved Uncut Gems and Reign Over Me, and the other movies not so much (I don't remember anything about Punch Drunk Love).

Apparently, he makes dumb comedy movies as an excuse to go on vacation and get paid to goof around with his friends, and people keep watching them. I respect the hustle.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just want to say that I greatly appreciate Christopher Randolph voicing Huey in MGS5.

Also, in my mind, the reason venom sounds different is obvious, and Ishmael sounding the same is because of venom's mind being all hosed up. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 15, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I suppose.

I like Sutherland, he's a good actor, there's nothing wrong with his voice in and of itself, but there's no campiness whatsoever.

Same with Ocelot in 5, but I guess that's just a problem with the game itself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Larryb posted:

He also says it at the start of Ground Zeroes

See, I found that one to be weird.

It felt like "keptyouwaitinghuh" just all put together, not even a rhetorical question. Ah well, it's not a huge deal breaker for me in any sense.

The other day, I finally completed the mission where you get Huey out of his lab and holy poo poo, hiding from that Metal Gear and barely escaping :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, like.... Are foxhound named the way they are specifically because of the naming convention set up on mother base in 5?

Also, I wonder if there is some sort of block on the names of soldiers in 5 not being randomly matched up to be the same as the members of foxhound.

Actually, are the words psycho, sniper, vulcan, and decoy even in 5? And did they include mantis, wolf, raven, and octopus as animals in the list? I haven't thought to look so far.

:thunk:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

From what I've heard Kojima also doesn't like Hayter/Hayter's performance as Snake.

Wait, really? I didn't know this.... I thought it might've been a falling out between Konami and Hayter (I have not looked into any of it, and didn't pay attention to 5/gz when it came out)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I could absolutely understand Kiefer or another actor always having been Big Boss, but since Hayter was him in 3 and PW, there's really no good excuse other than "we gotta get a hollywood man!" for why they changed it. Again, no shade to Kiefer, it's just a weird change.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is that Mads Mikkelson in the middle?

Mads Middelson.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There's a lot of unbelievable poo poo in the MGS series, but it's insane to me how much loving room there is on that tanker. I mean, they've got an entire metal gear.... IN THE BASEMENT.

I'm sure someone's going to tell me something like that specific tanker isn't even the biggest one...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

unruly posted:

I am so bad at this game. I'm not even sure why there is a dive to prone button, but I've failed a couple of missions because I can't seem to map crouch/stand properly in my head. For instance: I tranq'd a bird and went to go pick it up. It says "b" to pick up. I mash X and dive off a cliff. Even better: I go to get on D-Horse and instead of pressing Y to get on, I press X and full-body slam into him, knocking him down.

Ugh.

Normal behaviour for an aging soldier with a massive head wound.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

The game already has the horn grow with the more people you kill (or nukes you build), so a big horn could be lethal

Wait what? This is a thing? I'm both surprised and not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I recently got GTA 5 for the first time since I bought it at launch, so between that and MGSV, I'm having way too much fun doing violet and/or crazy poo poo to 80s songs.

I was absolutely floored to learn not only is Bobby Brown's "On Our Own" (from the Ghostbusters 2 soundtrack) in GTA 5, but so is Real Life's "Send Me an Angel".

Like, check this poo poo out, this should be in MGS5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R6WIbx8ysE

Most people, myself included, know this from the movie The Wizard, during the travelling montage. I would love this as my chopper song.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Don’t play the Hayter, play the game

Unofficial tagline to TPP.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Please please PLEASE let the collection come to PC. :ohdear:

It'd be neat to have the collection on Switch, too, but I doubt it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Larryb posted:

though Ghost Babel might have some rights issues to deal with since it was previously exclusive to the Game Boy Color.

Why would that matter? Old licensed NES games are ported now all the time to platforms not owned by Nintendo. :shrug: I can't see a GBC game having issues.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 25, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A friend of mine said he was worried about the quality of the trilogy re-release, saying he got burnt by the GTA 'remaster'.

I said something to the effect of "Well, Konami and Rockstar are two totally different companies. I mean, look at the MGS HD collection."

And then I remembered the Silent Hill HD collection :ohdear:

Edit: holy poo poo, I legit didn't see those posts above mine. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Randallteal posted:

"The latest platforms" seems pretty clear-cut to me. I'll be getting it on the Playdate personally so I can crank it during gameplay as Kojima intended.

Snake beater.