Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Croccers posted:

Is it fair to bring up the Acid games here too?

Please talk about the Acid games. I love them.

corn in the bible posted:

Rising is one of Platinum's worst games

You aren't funny and you add literally nothing of value to any thread you post in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Croccers posted:

The only card-based video games I've ever liked are the Acid games and Slay The Spire

Someone was telling me about Slay the Spire last week and I'm intrigued although I almost never buy PC games anymore.

The first AC!D was so awesome that it's one of the only games I ever lost sleep over. I would go to bed thinking about it and eventually just get up in the middle of the night and play it lol it was insane.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

This just in, painting is bad if no clear message present. Text not allowed on a painting either. All movies must be a single frame, if two hours of story boards and plot is not conveyed, fail.

Don't reply to feelix. He only comes in here to rile people up and he makes sure to do it infrequently enough that he doesn't ever get probated for it. He's a craven coward in addition to being a bottom-tier troll.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Terminally Bored posted:

Platinum made a badass Metal Gear game. My favorite after MGS1 and 3.

This. Revengeance got everything right and did it without all the huge piles of expository dialogue.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
MGS2 owns

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I never bothered to get 100% of the dog tags in all difficulty settings. What do you get for that?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

Kanye would make a perfect MG character.

It's true.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
But how do they taste?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
LMAO

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
They're 2 different games and they're both good for different reasons.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
No no you guys have it all wrong. The bosses are named after Bruce Willis movies. The other boss names include:

The Sixth Senseman

The Fifth Elementman

Last Man Standingman

Unbreakableman

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Awesome

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Oh no people protesting authority oh no

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Colonel Whitey posted:

That is loving buck wild that he was allowed to do that

I loved it but it also pissed me off because I stayed up late to beat the game on a work night and was so mad that I couldn't go to bed until after the very end of the credits.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

K8.0 posted:

This is the entirety of everything Metal Gear after the original MSX game. Hell, even the plot of that game feels like he retconned it at least once or twice during production.

Yep. But 4 was definitely the worst. I liked the gameplay but trying to give literally everyone and everything full closure was just a bad idea.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Where I'm growing frustrated with MGS2 now is in the map and objectives. I've taken out a few bombs and all I have is the general areas with the remaining bombs. I can see a couple, but the game is opaque with that I'm not sure if I'm just missing something in the environment or if there's a larger puzzle I'm supposed to work through. I've found locked doors several security levels higher than the card I have and it's also unclear if I'm supposed to be getting those or if it'll just hand me them later on. Just mostly wandering and confused, and the locked camera/first person toggle doesn't help.

I played the intro of Snake Eater and it was impressive how much smoother everything seems, especially with an open camera and more useful map interface. The only thing I don't like is that the stance system somehow seems a little clunkier.

Use every tool available and call everyone for hints. Some of them are hidden in clever places that require you to be in first person mode.

I loved that part of the game because I kept thinking "where would I put these if I was a huge rear end in a top hat?" and it helped a lot.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Old Man Hayter looks cool as hell. That's kinda what I look like IRL :smug:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Necrothatcher posted:

It's wild that the Sniper Wolf voice actor hadn't actually seen her death scene until like 15 years after recording it.

A lot of artists do that. I've read tons of interviews with musicians who claim that they never listen to the records they write and record and sell.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm gonna start Metal Gear Survive today. Yeah I know it's bad but I got it for Christmas last year so it didn't cost me anything. I want to judge it for myself.

Anything I should know before starting (other than I might not finish it because it's bad)?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bloodcider posted:

Fences and spears aren't really useful beyond early game. Get good at CQC and snap headshots.

Remember that a lot of the defense sections are about running down the clock, not killing the zombies. If you're down to the wire and getting swarmed, do whatever you can to stunlock guys and keep them away from your generator.

For the record, Survive rules and is a fun reinterpretation of MGSV's gameplay.

So first of all thanks to everyone who posted so far. I'm having fun with this game.

I just got to the first defend the teleporter mission and I'm stuck. Spamming fences and molotovs doesn't work. I get overrun real easy. I don't have any recipes for claymores or other traps. It's all fences, sandbags, and molotovs.

Any specific advice you could give me?

Oh also, I made a bunch of 9mm pistol ammo but I don't seem to be able to carry it all. Am I missing something? I know the pistol isn't great but only being able to carry 18 total rounds seems silly. That's not even 2 full magazines.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Necrothatcher posted:

for the first teleporter mission you shouldn't need ammo at all.

Just put fences up and poke heads through them with your spear.

OK I'll try this. Thanks. I was trying to use the machete because it's faster.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Having fun with Survive but this first Iris Energy extraction is frustrating me. I put up barb wire barricades and then normal fences behind those.

When they get to the barb wire I shoot them with the 9mm. When they get to the fence I poke them with my max level gold spear rod thing. When they get past that I use claymores and molotovs. I basically run out of resources on the 3rd wave and get destroyed. I'm considering building a hunting bow for more dps but I'm not sure how much it will help.

Anyone have any advice?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

K8.0 posted:

It's been a while since I played Survive so my advice may not be 100%, but it's definitely in the ballpark.

The bow is one of the best weapons for single player. Regular and heavy arrows are great, fire arrows are god tier weapons.

It sounds like you're using resources inefficiently. Obstacles are used to hold zombies in position so you can kill them. A spear is the lowest DPS, so while you can poke through the fence it's not going to keep up DPS-wise. Additionally, you should be actively trying to group zombies using things like lures and then using molotovs to kill the majority of them.

Don't play passively. You are a resource. Play as aggressively as you can without dying. Aggressively sneaking up on zombies can kill a lot of them, although I can't remember how viable a tactic that is in the early base defenses.

Do lures actually work when the zombie target is the generator? I didn't even think to try it because I thought they'd ignore it.

What I do is set up the barricades and fences and a couple mines first, then start attacking when they get close enough. Should I not be doing that? It's probably not a good idea for me to run into a huge group of these nerds and get caught up fighting them when waves of them are coming from other directions.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 17, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Killingyouguy! posted:

Due to reasons the only Metals Gear I've played myself are the NES one, Ghost Babel, and Survive

I really wanted to get into Survive 'as a bit' but getting past the first 'defend the magic portal machine' thing was just too annoying for me
which is disappointing because apparently after that there's farming and frankly I really want to do some Metal Gear Farming

Ghost Babel was really good though

I'm playing Survive right now and I feel your pain but once I figured out how to get good at defense the game got a lot easier. Maybe look up a guide or watch a couple videos instead of beating your head against the wall. It's pretty great after the learning curve.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So uhhhhh

Defending Sahalanthropus for FIFTEEN loving MINUTES really loving sucks and I hate this.

I think I'm going to just break down and craft a bunch of stuff. I also need to farm wood for flame arrows.

This mission completely sucks and it might make me quit the game altogether if I have to keep wasting tons of time restarting.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I got a bunch of flame arrows and pulled out the machine gun turrets from my stash. I also crafted a shotgun and ammo pouches for it. Basic fences still seem best but other barricades don't seem great here and molotovs don't work in water so welp on those.

I think I can bum rush the first groups, then fall back and use fences and turrets, grenade the bombers and mortars, then hide behind the rocks and shotgun the rest.

The time limit really shouldn't be this long though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Well I beat it. Yay.

Now the story went from whatever to aggressively dumb.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
No this story is dumber than any of Kojima's stuff and it has no humor in it at all. Kojima at least threw in some absurd comedy every once in a while.

The only upside is that Survive clearly had an editor so there are no unnecessarily long cutscenes or dialogue.

Anyway I'm glad they let me go back to the previous base because it pissed me off that they forced me to leave right after I got the first area expansion and that you couldn't do base building in the second area.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

A man made entirely out of hammy acting yelled at you about a bunch of poo poo you didnt understand, then he turned into a golem of bad ideas and you got to fight him with a machete how can you guys not be hooting and hollering

It was eye rollingly stupid and bad sorry

And I killed him with a shotgun and grenades not a machete

Anyway the gameplay in Survive is still fun and I'm back to base building and having good times with my exploration team homies. I hope I get to recruit a whole bunch more castaways so we can hang out around the campfire.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I beat Survive. The gameplay and mechanics and base building and combat and resource gathering was really fun and cool but that story was one of the worst ever.

I liked that there was no real final boss and the final fight was just 3 waves of a zillion zombies because it was actually challenging and fun. The free defenses they give you aren't enough so you have to use some of your own and run back to base to craft more between waves. I actually really liked that.

I assume that aftermath is the post-game and it looks like you can grind iris energy to eventually go home but I'm not sure if I want to grind all that out. I'm really enjoying finding washed up containers and rescuing new castaways but if the only thing I have left to do is a bunch of digging and defending I might put this on the shelf and play something else.

Overall I'm really glad I played this. It was definitely fun.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

does survive play like 5 because tbh i'm realizing that i'll never play a military themed game as fun as 5 soon again if ever

It's literally reused assets and gameplay mechanics. You can probably get it for like $5-10 US because it's 3 years old and didn't exactly annihilate sales projections.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

i heard it sucked rear end but i'd play even the shittiest phantom pain mission pack. in fact i have, from some of the side ops mods i've tried

If you can get it cheap you'll probably like it.

Payment Day posted:

Which ending did you get? Also the thing to do postgame is play online but lol goodluck

There are multiple endings? LOL no way in hell am I playing through that game from the beginning again. The one I got was Goodluck is Chris that you sent back from the future which makes no sense and then he tries to help you farm up iris energy to get home and I guess we broke the time loop or something and now I'm just collecting containers and castaways and then eventually I'll activate the digger and do a base defense but I really need to farm up resources to make ammo. I blew a ton of stuff fighting off the waves of zombies during the Lord of Dust fight.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I guess I didn't actually beat Survive? I saw credits roll then I did a base defense and then I went out and got a memory board and then rescued a few castaways and I guess there's more?

How many more main story missions are left? If there's not much left I'll go ahead and finish it but if there's a bunch of repetitive nonsense then I might just shelve it and start my October horror game queue early.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Larryb posted:

You did. As far as I’m aware there is no story or second ending in the postgame, just a couple bonus missions and bosses.

OK thanks. I'll do one more mission then shelve it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

K8.0 posted:

There are a few more, but it's largely a bridge to multiplayer and not really intended to be played without resources and unlocks from it, you're meant to bounce back and forth between. It gives you class unlocks (yes, there are classes. Scout is insanely fun.) and some new missions like Monster Hunter bosses. From the sound of things, you probably wouldn't enjoy it.

Yeah I just unlocked the new classes which is why I was like "wait what the hell" and that's a fuckton of energy to farm up to skill up a single class.

If it's meant to be done online with co-op that's kind of a bummer because the game is 3 years old and probably doesn't have a huge playerbase on PS4. Co-op would probably be fun though because Peace Walker co-op with goons is some of the most fun I've ever had playing games online.

Oh well. I did enjoy the overall experience of the game I just hated the story and if there was an online playerbase for this I'd keep at it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
As a cishet man I enjoyed looking at Quiet (and she's also a very effective combat partner) but in this day and age if I want to see hot women wearing next to nothing or nothing at all I can go almost literally anywhere on the internet. I really don't need it in the games I play and it's sad that stuff like this still happens.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lib and let die posted:

It's the same problem I eventually end up having to reconcile with stuff like Bayonetta or the PS2/3-era Ninja Gaiden games (literally being able to shake Rachel's boobs with the controller motion sensor). Game devs are notoriously horny but like, I don't know what to do with that when it's layered on top of something that is otherwise really, really, really loving good

My solution is to look at the boobs with my eyes, then roll my eyes at boobs being in the video game, then continue to enjoy the fun video game

And yeah I agree with all the other posts above.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Bayonetta's writer and creator wrote her to sexualize herself because that's what the writer wanted her to do. Important distinction.

Don't get me wrong here I love Bayonetta as a character and I love the game but fictional characters don't make their own decisions. They do what their writers make them do.

Kojima made the same mistake with the words and deeds thing. Quiet didn't choose anything about herself. It was all written that way by Kojima because he's a lecherous old man.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I used to switch camos a lot but then I got lazy and settled on whatever had the average highest camo index on most maps. It's a really good thing to do though if you don't mind all the menuing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost